Good ole Coach K | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Good ole Coach K

Status
Not open for further replies.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My brother goes to Boston Bruins road games and tells me he has the most fun in Buffalo. I planned on checking it out this winter but covid.

I’ve never been to Alabama, but I would imagine it’s one of the dumpiest states in the country. I mean, Trumpie got a huuuuge standing ovation at a Bama football game.

Reaction Score
Buffalo might be the worst option possible but toooo many trumpies in Alabama. Omg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Regarding Alabama, I think they would ridicule anybody for wearing a mask, and you would be perceived as impolite or unfriendly if after they greeted you, you kept on your mask because your hello reply was not heard by them. Not sure how they would like a Northern accent, and you might get speeding tickets for going 5 miles under the limit with a Northern license plate. Besides that, it is a beautiful place.

On the other hand, Buffalo snow would not be my thing either.

I like Connecticut.

Generally, fewer major storms, near the ocean, okay climate more or less, summers generally bearable, and people relatively friendly in spite of any stereotypes to the contrary. Good pizza, good banter, and the birthplace of the Boneyard.
They don't bother me, I wear my mask and drive 5 mph under the speed limit just to piss em off because I can. 70 degrees outside today was nice. I tend to my animals, fish in my pond anytime I want, low property taxes. And I can go on the BY and root for UConn from here.

Reaction Score
Yes. 8 days a week. Buffalo an underrated city last decade or so. Alabama is a mad Max sequel
At least here in Alabama, most people know there are only 7 days a week. Granted, if you keep repeating it, you may change a few minds.

Reaction Score
Let me just put it this way for Alabama. I have an Israeli in my IT department at work. When he first had his card, and a degree headhunters came looking. He interviewed for a job in Alabama, and a honest HR person told him “ you’re qualified but you don’t want to live in this state” .
The HR person was right if the job was in Birmingham, Montgomery or some major city here. Population where I live is under 6500 people, different world. But I understand how most people can see it.

Reaction Score
At least here in Alabama, most people know there are only 7 days a week. Granted, if you keep repeating it, you may change a few minds.

Never been to Alabama, but I suspect it's not my cup of tea. That said, everyone is different. I have one friend from Atlanta whose daughter goes to Auburn and they love the town and another from Atlanta who has a lake home in Alabama just across the state line and they love that, too. Both have said nice things about the coast and that Mobile is a less expensive version of Charleston and Savannah. Every place has good sports and bad...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Never been to Alabama, but I suspect it's not my cup of tea. That said, everyone is different. I have one friend from Atlanta whose daughter goes to Auburn and they love the town and another from Atlanta who has a lake home in Alabama just across the state line and they love that, too. Both have said nice things about the coast and that Mobile is a less expensive version of Charleston and Savannah. Every place has good sports and bad...

There are LARGE swaths of Alabama I would never live. It does have a reputation for a reason.

No thanks on Mobile or Montgomery. Birmingham has about 2 sq blocks downtown that are liveable.

If you walked around Auburn's campus it wouldn't look much different than Storrs. No kidding.

Huntsville up in the northeast corner along with Madison are decent places to live with plenty to do outdoors, good jobs and good education. Suburban and rural Yankees wouldn't feel out of place.

Baldwin County is only other place I'd live in that state-Foley, Fairhope and Spanish Fort are all decent and Orange Beach and Gulf Shores allow for real good living at a fraction of the cost of major ocean (gulf) front properties and communities.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Birmingham has about 2 sq blocks downtown that are liveable.
LOL, that was my exact thought based on my one visit. There was a decent bar there, I think that was the last time I saw matt panek.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
LOL, that was my exact thought based on my one visit. There was a decent bar there, I think that was the last time I saw matt panek.

I don't know the specific area but it's whereever the SEC is headquartered. It's near a convention center or something.

I could see visiting Birmingham or Montgomery for its history or singificance in civil rights movment, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere near them. Same for Mobile.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I have a friend that lives in Mountain brook alabama (nice suburb of birmingham). Its reminiscent of an avon or farmington. Birmingham is comparable to Hartford. You can drive through certain areas in the sticks where you can hear a banjo twang if you open up your windows though.

Reaction Score
Not a lot of people's cup of tea. But, being retired, money goes a lot farther here than it does in CT...lol. The change of pace is nice as well. Granted, I miss going to games at Gampel and the HCC, I'm still able to watch on TV or catch the occasional road game. Mobile doesn't hold a candle to Charleston or Savannah. Orange Beach would be closer to those areas.

Reaction Score
If you look at the eastern Big East teams, they could do a bubble based on their academic calendars:

UConn off Dec. 8 to Jan. 19
PC off Dec. 18 to Jan. 25
Georgetown off Dec. 18 to Jan. 25
Seton Hall off Dec. 11 to Jan. 27
Villanova off Dec. 5 to Jan. 25

St. John's off Dec 8 to January 4
If classes are remote, which they probably will be, St. John's could sty in the bubble for an additional week or 2.

So, do a bubble at Mohegan Sun from December 19 to January 19. You could probably play 8 to 10 games per team.
Yeah let’s lock the kids in a hotel room for a month. On top of that, let’s not pay them either. Great idea.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And he is out for Saturday's game at FSU.

Exposed to someone with COVID.

I certainly support anyone of K's age being cautious.

Reaction Score

Duke will be canceling its season soon, trust me on this

Reaction Score

The game is now off due to FSU issues:

Reaction Score
I'm already on record saying the soil women's team canceling their season was a precursor to the men's team doing the same.
They are claiming all the Duke women's players wanted the season canceled and it was 100% their decision. I don't see any way the men's Duke players want the season canceled.

Reaction Score
He’s obviously trying to protect his legacy so if they have a losing season, it will have the Covid asterisk next to it...

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
They are claiming all the Duke women's players wanted the season canceled and it was 100% their decision. I don't see any way the men's Duke players want the season canceled.
I heard this to but don't buy it for some reason. If true, would hate to see this as a coach.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I'm already on record saying the soil women's team canceling their season was a precursor to the men's team doing the same.
Wouldn't be surprised. If coach K makes the announcement here's how you can tell if he is sad about this or if he is actually happy:

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Coach K's mantra:

"Ohm eye akin back."

Repeat as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors