Good ole Coach K | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Good ole Coach K

Status
Not open for further replies.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
I'll be okay with a cancelled season if the next immediate order of business a deep dive into how Zion's parents went from a $900 rental to a $4500 rental after he signed with Puke.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
What is K, 100-years-old? His unnatural hair color makes me nervous.

I found this on the rat forum:

#4 Sep 8, 2008

I don't believe they go gray

Black rats often silver or rust since a pure jet black rat that doesn't silver or gray takes specialized breeding to obtain

What you notice when rats age is that hair thins out a bit, they have a look about them in the face that reveals much more bone structure & you will see more bone structure along the back & hips.

I believe all of that is from the slight thinning out of fluff-fur that you see in the coats of younger rats.

Julia

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I’m starting to share his sentiments. At this point it’s semi-disturbing that they are playing college sports while this pandemic rages on. The NCAA has basically completely admitted that their values lie in TV money. What’s going to be the ramifications if a college athlete passes away due to covid complications he/she contracted while playing or practicing? Obviously no one wants it, and it’s the worst-case scenario, but I’m just asking “what if?”

Reaction Score
I’m starting to share his sentiments. At this point it’s semi-disturbing that they are playing college sports while this pandemic rages on. The NCAA has basically completely admitted that their values lie in TV money. What’s going to be the ramifications if a college athlete passes away due to covid complications he/she contracted while playing or practicing? Obviously no one wants it, and it’s the worst-case scenario, but I’m just asking “what if?”
You realize they are finishing up a football season under this already?

Reaction Score
So are you saying that since covid - 19 it has yet to be transmitted between competing Division 1 athletes AND caused the recipient to die?

I can't believe this is true, athletes compete without face masks and often violate the social distancing norms; testing is not always accurate so many infected players must be competing. How can all these young, healthy, 20 year old's without co-morbidities avoid deadly consequences. Maybe the CDC should look into this for insights as to who is vulnerable to covid-19's deadly effects.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
I agree with you but at the moment I’m in the postpone until Feb 1 camp. By then the holiday surges should be slowing, at least some will have vaccines, there may be some sebelance of a national as opposed to state by state strategy...re-evaluate then. Right now there Is no real way to evaluate anything. Teams play a game then have 3 week layoffs, or suspend practice for 2 weeks play then suspend pract for 2 more weeks...schedule is all over the place. And it will very likely not improve for months. And now we’ve seen bubbles aren’t the answer either. Shut it down, see if it makes sense, and come up with a rational plan for going forward. FWIW, I actually wish K and Duke would announce they are shuttung down for awhile.
College basketball is "essential". Put the players and staffs at the front of the line for the vaccine, problem solved.

This ain't rocket surgery.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
So are you saying that since covid - 19 it has yet to be transmitted between competing Division 1 athletes AND caused the recipient to die?

I can't believe this is true, athletes compete without face masks and often violate the social distancing norms; testing is not always accurate so many infected players must be competing. How can all these young, healthy, 20 year old's without co-morbidities avoid deadly consequences. Maybe the CDC should look into this for insights as to who is vulnerable to covid-19's deadly effects.
This isn’t worded coherently enough for me to offer a response. Is this a question or a critique? If it’s a question, what’s the question? If it’s a critique, be more concise.

Reaction Score

Not having co-morbidities lessens the chance of dying for anyone who contracts the virus, but particularly for 20 year olds. The Spanish flu in 1918 actually disproportionately affected younger people. I don't think science knows why younger people generally are not as adversely affected now, and cannot surmise why the opposite happened in 1918. Not sure that it is something about the properties of younger cells or younger bodies, in view of the opposite results in 1918.

But, younger people still get the virus, albeit with fewer symptoms, and some do die, but with a lesser chance of dying than those over 65.

The fact that there is so much positive testing of younger people means they can be spreaders to older family members and that is a real danger and collateral effect of close contact in an indoor sport.

I guess playing any sport in an indoor arena is a landmine.

Reaction Score
M6siw7.gif
Sleeep!

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You realize they are finishing up a football season under this already?
I do. That doesn’t mean the possibility of what I suggested happening is gone, or any less real. We aren’t out of the woods yet. Far from it. I’m only suggesting we put athlete and community health over TV revenue. If that’s insane, call me crazy and have me committed immediately.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I do. That doesn’t mean the possibility of what I suggested happening is gone, or any less real. We aren’t out of the woods yet. Far from it. I’m only suggesting we put athlete and community health over TV revenue. If that’s insane, call me crazy and have me committed immediately.
That dichotomy sounds very noble and on the surface no one could argue with it but you would have to go to a lot of supporting data to prove that point (which already has too many unknowns). I think there is relative risk that everyone faces every day and part of living is making informed rational decisions for yourself and perhaps others to the extent of your authority. I think that what the bb team is doing is very rational and limited risk considering their health and age. The University, coaches and league are all working to make this as safe as possible. Each player has the option (like professional sports) to play or not and it takes judgement to go either way. "We put athlete and community" infers that we are calling the shots; we aren't.

Reaction Score
No, it means we have even more data to show your suggestion is less real, substantially less real.

Reaction Score
This isn’t worded coherently enough for me to offer a response. Is this a question or a critique? If it’s a question, what’s the question? If it’s a critique, be more concise.
Sorry to confuse.

Your comment in part: "What’s going to be the ramifications if a college athlete passes away due to covid complications he/she contracted while playing or practicing? "

My question:" So are you saying that since covid - 19 it has yet to be transmitted between competing Division 1 athletes AND caused the recipient to die?"

Maybe badly worded. I have not been following how many deaths of Div 1 athletes have occurred due to covid-19 passed to them during intercollegiate sports activity; was amazed to find out the next one will be the 1st. Wanted you to confirm.

My critique (your description, not mine): "I can't believe this is true, athletes compete without face masks and often violate the social distancing norms; testing is not always accurate so many infected players must be competing. How can all these young, healthy, 20 year old's without co-morbidities avoid deadly consequences. Maybe the CDC should look into this for insights as to who is vulnerable to covid-19's deadly effects."

I'll try again: Holy cow (assuming you confirm no deaths), all this activity to avoid zero deaths amongst Div 1 athletes; maybe healthy 20 year old's are very unlikely to get very sick and die from covid-19 and someone should tell the CDC (I'll contact them if you confirm, is it all right if I use your name as the source for this zero death information?) so they can focus their efforts on protecting the more vulnerable. Can't be very mentally healthy for these college athletes (or anyone that age) living kind of in a bubble (see number 2 cause of death below).

Best I can do, if you still can't understand it's on me.

Just some perspective on how 20-24 year old's die from the CDC, latest year is 2015:

Total % Per 100k
All races, both sexes, 20-24 years
... All causes 20,308 100.0 89.3
1 Accidents (unintentional injuries) 8,595 42.3 37.8
2 Intentional self-harm (suicide) 3,430 16.9 15.1
3 Assault (homicide) 3,146 15.5 13.8
4 Malignant neoplasms 886 4.4 3.9
5 Diseases of heart 691 3.4 3.0
6 Congenital malformations, deformations and chromosomal abnormalities 191 0.9 0.8
7 Diabetes mellitus 144 0.7 0.6
8 Chronic lower respiratory diseases 139 0.7 0.6
9 Pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium 120 0.6 0.5
10 Influenza and pneumonia 112 0.6 0.5
11 Cerebrovascular diseases 105 0.5 0.5
12 Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) disease 96 0.5 0.4
13 Septicemia 91 0.4 0.4
14 Legal intervention 61 0.3 0.3
15 Anemias 57 0.3 0.3
... All other causes (residual) 2,444 12.0 10.7

Maybe more effort on the top 3 causes would be more fruitful in saving lives. Unintentional is probably a lot of car accidents and drug/alcohol related, something that can and should be reduced. Influenza and pneumonia was pretty low, young kids have few co-morbidities (especially athletes).

Reaction Score
I agree with you but at the moment I’m in the postpone until Feb 1 camp. By then the holiday surges should be slowing, at least some will have vaccines, there may be some sebelance of a national as opposed to state by state strategy...re-evaluate then. Right now there Is no real way to evaluate anything. Teams play a game then have 3 week layoffs, or suspend practice for 2 weeks play then suspend pract for 2 more weeks...schedule is all over the place. And it will very likely not improve for months. And now we’ve seen bubbles aren’t the answer either. Shut it down, see if it makes sense, and come up with a rational plan for going forward. FWIW, I actually wish K and Duke would announce they are shuttung down for awhile.

unfortunately, I think that February could by our worst month when this is all said and done. I expect a surge from Xmas and New Years plus January/February are prime flu months in the northern hemisphere. A national policy can’t manage the local hospitals or enforce local laws, this is not the UK. I hope I’m wrong.

I support keep trying to play, provided the student athletes are safe. so far, only one student athlete has died due to a comorbidity, so its likely the athletes are safe. I hope so.

Reaction Score
unfortunately, I think that February could by our worst month when this is all said and done. I expect a surge from Xmas and New Years plus January/February are prime flu months in the northern hemisphere. A national policy can’t manage the local hospitals or enforce local laws, this is not the UK. I hope I’m wrong.

I support keep trying to play, provided the student athletes are safe. so far, only one student athlete has died due to a comorbidity, so its likely the athletes are safe. I hope so.
Well there was no flu this year in the Southern Hemisphere and we're supposed to have over 50 million vaccinated by the end of January...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom