Gonzaga Post Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Castle question? How was his perimeter shot in high school/AAU? If/when thats starts dropping we go to another level.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Another data point which indicates we are better than our #5 ranking. This team is really good. The game starts and they look like a predator figuring out how to tire out their prey then they pounce and all of sudden it is a10+ point lead. My son asked what I thought after we made that run when they started cutting into the lead and it was basically our players from last year that responded and punched back hard. I turned to him and said they just have a look of a team with Championship dna…..honestly said that about a minute before Bilas said the same thing. It’s clear we not win it but we’re not going down this year without taking and arm or a leg from our competition. What a pleasure to watch a team game being played the right way. Kudos to DH the coaching staff and players. We are again a special program.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
This was the 3 point line from when Gonzaga and Alabama played in 2021. I could be wrong but the white line you guys are all talking about was behind this line last night

View attachment 94128

View attachment 94129

Thanks for showing this. They never showed a replay and I was sure he was short of the line but clearly he wasn't.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Castle question? How was his perimeter shot in high school/AAU? If/when thats starts dropping we go to another level.
He was not considered a great shooter, because well why would he need to learn. He can cover 1-4 on defensive and with a bit more reps we are going to see him get to the hoop at will. He has a mid-range game but we knew his 3 pt shooting was probably his weakest attribute but he will get better. Now it is a necessity and he looks like a serious guy who is going to do what he needs to do to get better. But when he is five or six more games in and healthy we get a lot better and that should be scary for everyone that has an ncaa Mens bb championship on their wish list this year.

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I agree with all of this except this:

Simply isn't true.
Agreed what’s great about it though is that we know SC and DC (cemented) with the way he plays with healthy are top ten picks. TN is playing like an all America and that is not debatable. AK may not be great but is there anyone else you would want to take a three or a shot with the game on the line. Don’t care his shooting has been off he is clutch personified. The point being when great or very good players play as a team individual greatness does not stand out it shows up as a beautiful offensive machine with all cylinders firing in unison. The whole team is the Ferrari in the garage and then is taken out for a few drives a week.

Poe

Reaction Score
Bilas said Arizona is the best team he’s seen this year, not sure he truly believes that, and just said it to tone down his UConn enthusiasm.

I haven’t watched Arizona play, any somewhat objective thoughts on how good they are? Beating Duke this year doesn’t seem all that impressive anymore.

Hassan - creates chaos on D, would start on 99.5% of teams in the country. His effort on D is next level, Hurley’s got to love unleashing him as part of the second unit, when absolutely no one is game planning for his D. He also has some of the prettiest finishes at the rim, plus $ at the line. What luxury he is.

Cam - “that rec league kid is killing us” - yes, Gonzaga, he’s been killing everyone.

DC - nothing more to add than what’s been said. Very good game and more yet to come. Maybe step back a few inches on the first free throw? :)

Tristen - knows when it’s time to take over and he knew he didn’t need to in this game. Solid all around game as usual.

Alex - good game, good cuts. Bilas loves him.

Castle - pretty much the only non-center I don’t want to see shoot. Needs to just focus on getting his points at the rim and work his way to taking outside shots. Like what he brings, besides his outside shot.

Ball - will be a monster next year. Hurley is probably in his ear that he is option 5/5 on offense, making him think 2-3 times on whether to take a shot or not.

Team - won’t run the table in the big east, but would be shocked if we lose back to back games or 2 out of 3.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
LOL

AC95FF5A-EDE5-4E3A-A4D3-32E1F20F5D4D.jpeg

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Castle - pretty much the only non-center I don’t want to see shoot. Needs to just focus on getting his points at the rim and work his way to taking outside shots. Like what he brings, besides his outside shot.

He's more of a weapon than Andre, and our coaching staff (and team overall) are better equipped to handle it this year, but I fully expect coaches to sag off of Castle from the 3 point line like they did Andre last year. He's got much better form than Andre, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting his percentages to a respectable number, but right now his shot is pretty ugly. Aren't many ways to defend us so you know this is one thing Big East coaches are going to try.

Reaction Score
I have been following this team for years. My only fear is they might peak too early. OR they are just that good. At some point you just tip your hat.

Reaction Score
I have been following this team for years. My only fear is they might peak too early. OR they are just that good. At some point you just tip your hat.
Stop it. We just saw this exact same formula last season and we steamrolled everyone in March. We haven’t even peaked yet. Karaban still has his fingers taped up, Castle has barely come back from his injury, and Clingan had been crippled the first month of the season. This team is going to keep getting better and better

Reaction Score
Castle and Ball need to continue drive to the hoop to keep these defenders honest. They are just hanging out at the perimeter while keeping an eye on Clingan. We need these two to drive. Castle seems highly capable of doing that, nice eurostep; I'd like to see more of that. When this becomes more of his game, I'm sure we'll see some kickouts on his drives. I saw he had Diarra for a wide open 3 but decided to take it in, and he missed. I did not mind it because I want to see that kind of aggression from him.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
JD, I don't think we're close to peaking yet (which is a scary thought).

We have yet to come close to looking sharp, as a team in its entirety, for more than a few brief stretches. We could conceivably steamroll teams at a considerably higher level than we did last tournament.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
What they’re saying about us (kinder than NC fans). Actual unaltered quotes from guboards:

Go Zags!

Let's go Zags. Revenge !

Zags seem to have a hard time with good 7 footers

This game could get ugly

Hurley has the Huskies prepped for the hi lo and that GI and Braden are lefties

We don't have the shooters. UConn can do everything we do inside . Missed FTs

UConn’s shooters are extraordinary. 67%

The Zags are hanging with them. Not sure if they keep that up, but good to see them playing hard.

UConn has some shooters.

No opportunity. UCon great perimeter D.

Uh oh. Getting out of hand.

UConn 5-6 from 3pt.

Such smooth shooters.

By far the best team we’ve played all season.

That rec league kid is killing us

Crap. Down by 10

One dimensional. Look like we're just playing pickup. UCONN is a level up.

Toying with us.

3 whole assists No team play, too much dribbling, not enough effective screens. UConn might repeat this year.

UConn is making their open shots, the players they want are taking them;

The thing is, no one on UConn is super good, but they play together like a well oiled machine. The play outstanding defense and can shoot the open three

Sucks they are shooting so well from 3, but the reality is most of those were wide open shots.

Just not fair

there just a better team…didn’t think it would be over at half. This 11 pt deficit feels like 20

They are getting shoot around looks.

Uconn is the better team. Issue is allowing a team to make 7 3s in 1 half.

Join the a big East they said, it will be fun!

The UCONN lineup and style reminds me so much of our 2017 team.They are the best team I've seen this year. Even more balanced and dangerous than Arizona, and I hold Tommy's squad in high regard.

I sincerely hoped we'd keep it closer than 20, yet don't see that happening.

Just on a another level. Not just a 'title contender', yet a 'title favorite'.

Zags have a CHANCE at anyone not named Purdue, Arizona, or UConn. I do believe that.

Uconn is a level above GU.Coaching, Players.

Compared to uconn? Yes they aren’t even close and if uconn kept foot on pedal, this is a 20+ beat down

Well, we knew this was going to be a tough game to win. A lot of teams are going to lose to UConn this year.
Who's the "rec league kid"? Diarra? Or Cam?

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Another data point which indicates we are better than our #5 ranking. This team is really good. The game starts and they look like a predator figuring out how to tire out their prey then they pounce and all of sudden it is a10+ point lead. My son asked what I thought after we made that run when they started cutting into the lead and it was basically our players from last year that responded and punched back hard. I turned to him and said they just have a look of a team with Championship dna…..honestly said that about a minute before Bilas said the same thing. It’s clear we not win it but we’re not going down this year without taking and arm or a leg from our competition. What a pleasure to watch a team game being played the right way. Kudos to DH the coaching staff and players. We are again a special program.
late in the 1st half they cut the lead to 5 and seemed to have momentum. Then Tristen immediately hit a LONG 3 and all their mo was snuffed out,

Reaction Score
He's more of a weapon than Andre, and our coaching staff (and team overall) are better equipped to handle it this year, but I fully expect coaches to sag off of Castle from the 3 point line like they did Andre last year. He's got much better form than Andre, so I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting his percentages to a respectable number, but right now his shot is pretty ugly. Aren't many ways to defend us so you know this is one thing Big East coaches are going to try.
the only difference is Castle at this moment is a role player, AJ was critical. Castle will be asked to do what he can, AJ had to do what he wasn't doing. A bit of a word salad, but reprising AJ's role was critical, Castle already seems to have a role that will only expand as he is able to handle it.

Reaction Score
Few hates us because we keep embarrassing his high ranked teams out west. Despite the score the zags looked like Kentucky in 2014 and just stepped off the gas with like 4 minutes left. Oh. And diarra??? He’s Gwynn. And everything we hoped Samuel’s would have become. What a solid option. Still not our best game with everyone playing their best. But that’s the great thing about this teams roster and staff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
can this game finally silence the clingan doubters?

when he's fully healthy, this team will be truly terrifying.
And castle Still learning. If he drops out of the top 10 does he stay?? We need an early first rounder so I can take either scenario.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
the only difference is Castle at this moment is a role player, AJ was critical. Castle will be asked to do what he can, AJ had to do what he wasn't doing. A bit of a word salad, but reprising AJ's role was critical, Castle already seems to have a role that will only expand as he is able to handle it.

I don't think Castle will ever be as important to this team as Andre was since we have really good players at all 5 spots, but I do expect him to get closer to 30 minutes and re-take the starting role from Ball pretty soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom