Gonzaga Post Game Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gonzaga Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
If you had to nitpick.

Got sloppy at one point. Coulda gone ugly against a better team.

Guys didn’t feel like rebounding today. Was extremely noticeable with Don out.

Diarra is probably our 5th best player right now, Castle seems rusty. This will probably alleviate with time.
True. But it still was a top 10 team. Not bad.

Reaction Score
Diarra has taken it up another notch this year. His defense is absolutely suffocating.

Cam is still one of the best shooters I’ve seen since the guy in my avi.

Clingan was dominant today. Is it me or did he look slimmer? Hope he’s okay too.

Castle is rusty offensively but his defense has been a surprise and what we needed this year.

I’m finding it hard to see how we could possibly slow down during BE play.
We won’t slow down in BE play, but never underestimate the Big East refs impact on a game.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
If you thought Samson should start over Clingan, kindly hand in your login information at the front desk. Thanks!
Idk how many people wanted to start Johnson. But there’s been games this year when we played better with him on the floor. This healthier version of Clingan looks like a different beast, and it’s scary to think he might not be 100% just yet.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That was one dead crowd for a top 10 matchup. MSG was rocking for our games as it always is and Kansas was awesome, Zags fans made this sound like a church service.
Seriously, I feel comfortable nagging them cause I’m so hard on our fans. UNC fans impressed me by showing up to the Garden in a strong quantity, and they were loud. There was tons of open seats in the lower level of this game, I know their fans are better than that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If Gonzaga has fans, they didn’t think it was worth the drive.
They knew what was up, and so did their coach. It would have taken a huge breakdown to get any sustained enthusiasm. It wasn't as demoralizing as last March, but only major home advantage reffing could have made a difference, and it wasn't forthcoming. In that sense, it played as a neutral site, with a huge geographic fan imbalance.

Reaction Score
Great first half offensively. It was nice seeing Clingan playing well against good comp. 2nd half was ugly but with Diarra playing great D on Nembhard we kept them in check. Karaban not best game but came up big in 2nd half too. Castle has to work on his shot. He can drive at least. Solo needs to step up more for us offensively. He gets a lot of looks but seems to always defer. I'm glad we have Cam and Newton in our backcourt. Good overall game but offensively in the 2nd half we seem to got into a rut and were dribbling the ball to much. They did pick up the D but I thought our execution and spacing was quite poor in the second half. I will take it 4-1 against the best teams in Non-Conference play. Hopefully we play better in Big East play this year than last.

Reaction Score
Or we had great D? Not luck. They had 5 assists in 40 min.

Tristen Newton had 5 assists in 35 min.
Sure but they missed more than a few wide open shots. Im allowed to lightly critique….

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Gonzaga played right into our hands by playing slower than their normal pace, having terrible shot %s, and having no depth at the G spots. This was a game I was pretty confident the Huskies would win, hopefully we don't go into the first BE game soft.

Castle had one drive and spin move that was chef's kiss, makes me sad we won't get to see him more than this year (I don't watch NBA). I wish he was a bit more of a threat on the perimeter, but I bet he develops it long term. I thought he might have gotten more minutes tonight, I'm not going to read anything into it though.

Solo was quiet but hit a nice 3 when it was needed, he's still got time this season to keep improving - next year I think he's going to very good. No TOs but 3 fouls, I don't recall them offhand so they probably weren't terrible?

Diarra? Ok, this was the guy I thought we were going to get last year, I LOVE it. He's made some clutch points for us, such a nice change there. His scrappiness... man you can't buy that. I love his FT%, that's bigtime in tight games.

Clingan's looking close to form, can't wait to see a full unleashing because even his "bad" games... have been very good. He's held his own against older, top rated bigs at less than 100% - can't wait to see the Kalk matchup.

I loved the back-to-back Diarra/Clingan plays too - those guys have some chemistry.

I hate how the pundits keep saying we have no replacement for Jordan as a shooter, I loved Jordan - dude's a hero - but Cam Spencer is a bucket machine too just in a different way. 3pt, mid range, layup, the man don't care. Money from the line.

Tristen had a solid game, Johnson did enough, and Jaylin got a few mins in Seattle which was cool. I like that we have options, it doesn't feel like anyone is "required" to blow it up each night. Overall I think the game was well played, not going to harp on the mistakes I'm sure Dan will :D

The team is looking GOOD. This is feeling like deja vu and I like it.

Reaction Score
Diarra has very much surprised me with his improvements this year. Didn't see him being more then what he was last year. He had a great 2nd half i thought.
He was the difference to me in the 2nd half in keeping our margin in double figures. Nice when he can play great D on the opposing best guard and score 9 points of his own too.

Reaction Score
Seriously, I feel comfortable nagging them cause I’m so hard on our fans. UNC fans impressed me by showing up to the Garden in a strong quantity, and they were loud. There was tons of open seats in the lower level of this game, I know their fans are better than that.
And then Big Don punched them all in the face! “Good matchup” - Greenberg
That was an understatement!

Reaction Score
That's the NBA 3 point line, the WNBA/NCAA 3 point line is the closer one that he was behind @ucp990411 @HooperScooper @BoukofJames
Too tired to argue but the closer in line went right to the top of the key. Isn’t that the women’s three point line? The 2nd line was about a foot further, which I’m pretty sure is the men’s three point line. I don’t think there was an NBA line on that court. Tomorrow I can look up pictures of the Gampel court and Climate Pledge Arena court and check. I could be wrong.

Reaction Score
That was one dead crowd for a top 10 matchup. MSG was rocking for our games as it always is and Kansas was awesome, Zags fans made this sound like a church service.
We never gave their crowd a chance to make any noise. Every time they scored, we immediately answered. Pretty sure we lead wire to wire unless I’m misremembering the first couple minutes

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom