OT: - Gonzaga coach Mark Few cited for DUI, apologizes for 'lapse in judgment' | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Gonzaga coach Mark Few cited for DUI, apologizes for 'lapse in judgment'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't know that. My brother lives about 60 miles east of Portland, OR and he did say the farther east you go in Oregon and Washington the more wackos there are. I guess this is what he was talking about.
Have you ever been to Idaho? Every state has a few nut cases - MA definitely does - Does that make you one?

Reaction Score
sounds like he had a few too many. but seriously drunk driving is never acceptable especially if you're a millionaire coach with access to uber and lyft.
Uber and Lyft isn’t available everywhere. For instance in Peoria Illinois (same population as new haven) there is never any cars available for either service. The taxi service closes at 5 pm on Sundays also

Midwest and western/rural mountain area is not the same as what easterners and city people are used to

side not Peoria is hometown of Shaun Livingston and Joe Girardi

Reaction Score
I've long been able to hold my own, but yeah, 6 drinks in a hour at 220 lbs and I'd think you're quite a bit past merely "impaired". I'm bigger than 220 and I don't risk more than 2 an hour if I have to drive.
At larger than 220 you are below .08 with 2 beers and unless you’re a lightweight 2 beers an hour you shouldn’t feel a thing.

there’s research that shows that people who drive “drunk” more often and starting at younger age are less likely to get a as DUI because they are conditioned.

the whole scale is so absurd. Alcohol affects people differently. I’ve been with people of same weight where one is stumbling and slurring after 5 drinks and the other person could drink a fifth of whiskey and pass the roadside olympics fly a plane and do anything another person could do sober

Reaction Score
I've long been able to hold my own, but yeah, 6 drinks in a hour at 220 lbs and I'd think you're quite a bit past merely "impaired". I'm bigger than 220 and I don't risk more than 2 an hour if I have to drive.
Once upon a time, I got stopped for going 30 in a 25 (literally), and failed the test. We had just left our Navy division Christmas party, and I had about 3 miles on side streets to get home. I was doing ok. Ended up blowing .19. As part of my deal, I had to attend 2 weekends of a defensive driving course. On the 2nd weekend, they asked for 2 volunteers to drink until over the limit (0.10), and do the driving course (closed lot). No one volunteered, so they begged, and me and another kid offered. They feed us beer for 2 hours, and then offered shots. After about 12 beers and 2-3 shots, I was still under the limit. I was 6’, 172#. The other kid was faced. I did the course just as well as I did the first weekend. They were a little upset I wasn’t a good example.

Reaction Score
Give the guy a break it’s his only lapse of judgement in the last 30 years. Guy is a winner.
I guess he never drove while intoxicated before? Not saying he is not a winner or a great guy which he may be but to say this is only lapse of judgement in 30 years is naive.

Reaction Score
I get that the BY loves it's booze, but the soft takes on this are pretty upsetting...DUI's aren't "lapse of judgment" or "poor choices" they're incredibly dangerous, irresponsible and a million other adjectives I don't wanna look up in a thesaurus for ducking stupid.
Agreed driving under the influence is stupid and he should be punished. You guys that are soft pedaling this know anybody killed by a drunk driver? I have - my father when I was 10 and it changed my life forever.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Once upon a time, I got stopped for going 30 in a 25 (literally), and failed the test. We had just left our Navy division Christmas party, and I had about 3 miles on side streets to get home. I was doing ok. Ended up blowing .19. As part of my deal, I had to attend 2 weekends of a defensive driving course. On the 2nd weekend, they asked for 2 volunteers to drink until over the limit (0.10), and do the driving course (closed lot). No one volunteered, so they begged, and me and another kid offered. They feed us beer for 2 hours, and then offered shots. After about 12 beers and 2-3 shots, I was still under the limit. I was 6’, 172#. The other kid was faced. I did the course just as well as I did the first weekend. They were a little upset I wasn’t a good example.
Cool story bro

Reaction Score
Agreed driving under the influence is stupid and he should be punished. You guys that are soft pedaling this know anybody killed by a drunk driver? I have - my father when I was 10 and it changed my life forever.
Sorry for your loss.

Reaction Score
Sorry to hear that.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Uber and Lyft isn’t available everywhere. For instance in Peoria Illinois (same population as new haven) there is never any cars available for either service. The taxi service closes at 5 pm on Sundays also

Midwest and western/rural mountain area is not the same as what easterners and city people are used to

side not Peoria is hometown of Shaun Livingston and Joe Girardi
Guess that means it’s ok to drive drunk. Gotta get home somehow.

Reaction Score
Guess that means it’s ok to drive drunk. Gotta get home somehow.
No but it’s stupid people are so gung-ho about driving after having a couple but never say anything or have those strong stances about texting and driving when:

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), driving a vehicle while texting is six times more dangerous than intoxicated driving. ... Another study stated that texting drivers react 23 percent slower than intoxicated drivers do.

then there’s also the people in their pain killers, Xanax, or whatever other medications that no one ever blasts. Either have the stance for everything or stop cherry picking

all of them are wrong yet I find it unreasonable the only ones who get the wrath of society are the ones who drink

phillionaire

Reaction Score
No but it’s stupid people are so gung-ho about driving after having a couple but never say anything or have those strong stances about texting and driving when:

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), driving a vehicle while texting is six times more dangerous than intoxicated driving. ... Another study stated that texting drivers react 23 percent slower than intoxicated drivers do.

then there’s also the people in their pain killers, Xanax, or whatever other medications that no one ever blasts. Either have the stance for everything or stop cherry picking

all of them are wrong yet I find it unreasonable the only ones who get the wrath of society are the ones who drink
This isn't a thread about texting and driving. This is about a multi-millionaire coach that is supposed to be a role model for young men that made the conscious decision to get behind the wheel of a car when he was drunk, and got pulled over for speeding and driving erratically. If he had been pulled over for texting and driving that would be just as bad. But he wasn't. Don't justify drunk driving by saying "this other thing is bad too so why don't people get mad about it".

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score

I didn’t realize that in order to say drunk driving is bad, in a thread specifically about a DUI, everyone also had to publicly make a stance on every other potential driving hazard to validate their statement.

Reaction Score

Do we need to write every single thing that is bad to do while driving now? The coach drove while drunk--of course that's what the thread is about. He didn't text and drive, take a handful of Xanax, or ride a unicycle in the driver's seat either. If he had, we could disparage people who do any of those things.

What a terrible take.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
At larger than 220 you are below .08 with 2 beers and unless you’re a lightweight 2 beers an hour you shouldn’t feel a thing.

there’s research that shows that people who drive “drunk” more often and starting at younger age are less likely to get a as DUI because they are conditioned.

the whole scale is so absurd. Alcohol affects people differently. I’ve been with people of same weight where one is stumbling and slurring after 5 drinks and the other person could drink a fifth of whiskey and pass the roadside olympics fly a plane and do anything another person could do sober

You are correct about there being a delta between what a person may feel and what they have in their body for a BAC. There's a reason there is a term functioning alcoholic and wet brains. I think they're both BS terms, but that's me.
Problem I see is many who grew up in late 70's and early 80's when DUI's starting becoming a thing and people started caring about it was the threshold for beers was 12 oz of 3%-4%. Nowadays bars and restaurants think nothing of 16 oz or 22 oz servings and if you're getting an 8% DIPA, even a 220 lbs dude can be at .08 after two "drinks".

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Peoria, Illinois, home of my alma mater, Bradley University. I arrived in the fall of '80 a few years before I arrived the administration decided to ban all alcohol on campus and in the frats. The semester before I arrived a senior, who was class president, died in a one car/one person crash coming home from a bar. He was driving drunk. The administration reversed their policy immediately and we happily did all our partying on foot. Peoria, hometown of comedians Richard Pryor and Sam Kinison, baseballs Jim Thome, and musician Dan Fogelberg. I enjoyed my four years at Bradley but I could never recommend going out of your way to visit Peoria (unless you do business with Caterpillar).

phillionaire

Reaction Score
Do we need to write every single thing that is bad to do while driving now? The coach drove while drunk--of course that's what the thread is about. He didn't text and drive, take a handful of Xanax, or ride a unicycle in the driver's seat either. If he had, we could disparage people who do any of those things.

What a terrible take.
Nobody in this thread is talking about how reckless it is to pull a heist and drive through the streets of Rio de Janeiro with a large bank safe tethered to the back of their cars but it was glorified in the 2011 film “Fast 5”. Seems irresponsible to not bring up this hypocrisy.

Reaction Score
Why someone on top of their profession makes such a self-defeating decision...odd. On a side note, the Coeur d'Alene Resort is terrific with a golf course that is off the charts - highly recommend. Has an island green that you have to ride a boat out to get to.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I enjoyed my four years at Bradley but I could never recommend going out of your way to visit Peoria (unless you do business with Caterpillar).
Lol. I've been to Peoria exactly once, and for that exact reason.

I don't know if it's still the case, but driving on I55 to Chicago, seemed to me the average traffic flow was about 90mph. As if people couldn't get away from there fast enough :D

Reaction Score
Didn't know that. My brother lives about 60 miles east of Portland, OR and he did say the farther east you go in Oregon and Washington the more wackos there are. I guess this is what he was talking about.
I would posit the same can be said going west into Portland. Have u been paying attention the past few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom