OT: - Gonzaga coach Mark Few cited for DUI, apologizes for 'lapse in judgment' | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Gonzaga coach Mark Few cited for DUI, apologizes for 'lapse in judgment'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
We install breathalyzers for the state of Florida and 1shot of 80%whiskey= 1- 7oz glass of wine= 1-12oz can of beer. Each is assessed a value of .02. Consuming a combination of any 5 in 1 hour would put you at .1 minus.02 for every hour that transpires leaves you at .08 which is the limit in most states ( that’s about to go down to.06). We’ve had people come in with levels of .4 ( can be sometimes fatal) of be on their 4th of 5th DUI. It’s a huge problem ( DUI’s slowed down during the lock down, bars were closed) but things are getting worse rather quickly now that the bars are back open like you’d expect. It’s a huge problem for sure abd there’s absolutely no excuse for it …..non whatsoever. I wouldn’t mind if our income from that part of our business went down if it meant people actually becoming responsible… but I doubt it….

Putting a breathalyzer as part of the ignition system is completely doable in every car on the road. There'$ only one rea$on it ha$n't happened already.

Reaction Score
Putting a breathalyzer as part of the ignition system is completely doable in every car on the road. There'$ only one rea$on it ha$n't happened already.
There are multiple reasons. For example, I'd venture to guess that more than 50% of the lawmakers in a given legislative body drive over the limit on a regular basis, and 100% of them have donors that do so as well.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There are multiple reasons. For example, I'd venture to guess that more than 50% of the lawmakers in a given legislative body drive over the limit on a regular basis, and 100% of them have donors that do so as well.

If you noticed I used all $ in my last sentence. Did it for a reason. Several of which you just explained. Those who have the gold and make the rules don't want it to happen.

Reaction Score
Did he have a few too many or was seriously impaired?
Breath between 0.119- 0.120

0.10-0.125 BAC: Significant impairment of motor coordination and loss of good judgment. Speech may be slurred; balance, vision, reaction time and hearing will be impaired. Euphoria.

0.13-0.15 BAC: Gross motor impairment and lack of physical control. Blurred vision and major loss of balance. Euphoria is reduced and dysphoria (anxiety, restlessness) is beginning to appear. Judgment and perception are severely impaired.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I get that the BY loves it's booze, but the soft takes on this are pretty upsetting...DUI's aren't "lapse of judgment" or "poor choices" they're incredibly dangerous, irresponsible and a million other adjectives I don't wanna look up in a thesaurus for ducking stupid.

Yes they are and don't put me down for excusing his behavior. He was careless and reckless because he was 1-2 drinks beyond maximum allowed limit.

Fortunately no one hurt and you hope he learns (and has some consequences)

Reaction Score
With remote work, a lot of these places become somewhere that people can move to and work out of driving the real estate prices up like crazy. VICE just did a segment on a Colorado town where the local staff cant afford housing and have to live in vans or camp out.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think you meant 80 Proof, not 80%, because 80% is 160 Proof and I don't think there's anything that strong except grain alcohol.

There are some vodkas out there at 160

Rumor has it rum can hit 151 proof.

Reaction Score
Taking Few out of the equation, and even without a blood alcohol level that equates to DUI, depending on the jurisdiction, the officer at the scene has the discretion to charge the driver with the lesser charges of "driving while impaired" ( if he saw erratic driving and smelled alcohol)or "reckless driving" or a similar charge.

Still a hassle for the driver and maybe a wake up call about drinking before driving or drinking very little of a low proof alcohol maybe an hour or more before.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Like no one here has ever had a few pops and drove home. From the XL? From the Rent? From a family BBQ? From dinner with the in-laws? There's drinking and driving and there's DRINKING and driving.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Same, I don't drive if I know I'm going to be drinking at all but it's easy to do living in a big city. I would imagine my cutoff would look something like a few drinks over several hours if I had to drive.

Few screwed up but I have trouble casting stones having driven drunk plenty of times in my younger years. Thankful I never got a DUI or worse hurt someone else. Programs like MADD and SADD were instrumental in making us take these things seriously many years ago and making the gov't crack down, it's had a profound impact on saving lives. Way more accidents are caused by texting while driving than drinking and driving and that seems like a problem which hasn't really been addressed.

Agreed. I'm not casting any stones given I certainly drove when I shouldn't at times many years ago. I think Uber has done wonders to provide an option for people who aren't in an environment with public transit or within walking distance. That said, the limits are somewhat artificially low at this point, and as you noted, distracted driving is a bigger problem. Coming home from Newport on Sunday I lost track of the number of people staring at their phones while going 75 mph. One lady appeared to be reading and I mean more than a text.

Things like Tesla auto-pilot will help drunk driving situations as well. The current state of automotive technology almost makes it too easy to drive while distracted, compared to cars of years past, which took a lot more work to keep in a lane at a stable speed. Cars due just enough to lull people into a false sense of security.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Like no one here has ever had a few pops and drove home. From the XL? From the Rent? From a family BBQ? From dinner with the in-laws? There's drinking and driving and there's DRINKING and driving.

Still doesn't make it right or okay because no one got hurt.

You can drive 100 mph on the Merritt and not get caught but it doesn't mean you weren't endangering others or yourself.

Reaction Score
I didn’t know that such a common take about Idaho would cause such convulsions. I guess I’ll keep my opinions on Wyoming, Montana, and the Dakotas to myself lest I cause someone to stroke out.
I think people just think it's weird you think it's a joke that place is a popular tourist destination, it's hugely popular as are a bunch of places in the mountain west region and South Dakota. That's probably considered the most beautiful region in the country by most.

Reaction Score
Nah, we need to saw FL and Texas off at the borders and set them adrift ;) .
They are so bad Californians and Northeast folks are flocking there. Good for you as fewer high net worth folks in CT will allow u to pay an even higher tax rate going forward

Reaction Score
I think people just think it's weird you think it's a joke that place is a popular tourist destination, it's hugely popular as are a bunch of places in the mountain west region and South Dakota. That's probably considered the most beautiful region in the country by most.
I’m sure there are beautiful places in Siberia too. Doesn’t mean I’d have any interest in ever stepping foot there. I’ll leave it to other to enjoy those “hidden gems” :)

Can also be said that the white-knighting for a place like Idaho is equally weird. To each their own though.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
They are so bad Californians and Northeast folks are flocking there. Good for you as fewer high net worth folks in CT will allow u to pay an even higher tax rate going forward
Good point. But I left the Northeast a dozen + years ago. Anyone who's interested in flocking to "there": I say keep doing so!

Reaction Score

Replace "most" with "some" and you're probably right. There are plenty of people who prefer Hawaii, the California coast, Florida beaches, the Maine coast, Alaska etc. to South Dakota (which I will admit was surprisingly beautiful but not a place I'd want to live). I did not like Coeur d'Alene but had an awesome couple days in Boise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom