OT: - Golf foursomes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Golf foursomes

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Once you start up the mountain at Gillette Ridge I find it one of the most difficult courses to play. An attractive cart girl would be a nice respite. No golf group should ever be playing off three different tees. Play ready golf. Don't sit in the cart waiting for your cartmate to hit. Drop him off and go to your ball. Don't start a story right before you hit your ball. If you putt to under two feet and no one is kind enough to give you the putt then mark, align, and putt again immediately. Don't mark and say "I'll wait".

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Officially spooled up on pace of play.

Another big issue with pace of play is golf balls. Specifically hackers using Pro VI/X or other $50/dz balls even though their game isn't nearly good enough to extract that technology.
Hacker hits in to the woods or water and rather than chalking it up as a lost ball and moving on they're looking all over for it since they're paying for 4-5 lost balls per round.

The lost ball thing is definitely what slows things down the most, at least from what I see playing on public courses where half of the people are wearing t-shirts or jeans. If its in the woods, don't even both going in to look for it. Leave the fishing pole in the car, if its in the water its gone. If you are in play but in the thick stuff, take 30 seconds and if you can't find it, drop that ball you have in your pocket. Nothing infuriates me more than when you see people taking 3 minutes to find a ball in the deep stuff or the woods, including when people in my group do it. Even if they find it, its gonna take that person 3 hacks to get it back to the fairway, slowing things down further.

Like you said, if someone is losing enough balls per round that a $5 ProV1 is worth trying to find each time, probably time to downgrade to some Warriors or Costco brand balls... I am by no means good, and lose plenty of balls myself, but I don't search for balls - drop and keep the round moving.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Unless its a club tournament / high stakes cash game (which most people on public courses shouldn't be playing) a round of golf should be no more than 3:30, ideally 3:00.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Unless its a club tournament / high stakes cash game (which most people on public courses shouldn't be playing) a round of golf should be no more than 3:30, ideally 3:00.
I’m not mad about playing 18 in 4. When I’m trying to play 9 and it pushes 3 hours that’s some poop.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

That's the beauty of playing in Scotland. They expect no more than 3:30. As a 15 hdcp, I shot something like a 115 on the Old Course (got the full tour - hacked out of gorse, trapped in some pot bunkers, played the Road Hole from the road after hitting the hotel), but with local caddies no balls were lost and our foursome still finished under that. I did par the 18th where the tourists were gathered, so they thought I was scratch, lol.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
yep and you guys who killed the game and the clubs cant give away memberships because of it.
Memberships are only logical for old retired guys who replace working 9-5 with golfing 9-5. I don’t think it’s not entirely intentional.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Not working this week so I've played just under 72 holes of golf since Sunday. Pace of play is a disaster. Do not look for your ball hacker you aren't going to find it. Want to try to get the 18 year old cart girl's number? Don't bother. Oh you shoot a 120 but you're playing the blacks? Go play some simulator golf. You're 25 feet away for a double bogey putt, you do not need to line it up like it's the masters. You see a group of people who playing right up on you...how about you let them play through...

While we are on the top of golf let's talk about driving range etiquette, fill in your divots with sand, place your next shot directly behind the divot you just made and for everyone's safety if you know you're a hacker please go to the end of the range where your shanks/hooks/slices/chunks aren't going to hit someone.

Country club membership is the way to go, I played 16 today in 2:30.

Reaction Score
Not working this week so I've played just under 72 holes of golf since Sunday. Pace of play is a disaster. Do not look for your ball hacker you aren't going to find it. Want to try to get the 18 year old cart girl's number? Don't bother. Oh you shoot a 120 but you're playing the blacks? Go play some simulator golf. You're 25 feet away for a double bogey putt, you do not need to line it up like it's the masters. You see a group of people who playing right up on you...how about you let them play through...

While we are on the top of golf let's talk about driving range etiquette, fill in your divots with sand, place your next shot directly behind the divot you just made and for everyone's safety if you know you're a hacker please go to the end of the range where your shanks/hooks/slices/chunks aren't going to hit someone.

Country club membership is the way to go, I played 16 today in 2:30.

All good on the CC memberships agree. But I can't play the same course twice in a row unless it's a 2Ball/4Ball/Club Championship. Just get bored same holes, layout etc.. Just me so as you say here, I will need to quit bitching because in public course golf our original paragraph is the reality that may hit us every time we play. The one thing I will say play as early as your body will let you. The "hackers" don't tend to like 6-8am golf all that much.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
I was a member at a private club for 20 years. I can say with out a doubt that you learn to play faster at a country club. I'm playing at my old club today. We have two foursomes going out. We'll be playing about 4 different gambling games and we will finish in under 4 hours no problem. And we will be walking. One big problem with long rounds on public golf courses is that rounds played are down. The consequence of this is that rangers will rarely come out and tell a group to pick up the pace. The courses don't want to lose future business. That leaves it up to groups of strangers to kind of police each other. I've seen enough Youtube videos to know that doesn't end well.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
Speaking of golf gambling games what do you guys usually play. The guys I will play with today will probably play a six point scotch game. Playing two man teams a team would get two points for low ball, two for low total, one for prox, and one for birdie. If a team gets all six points(called an umbrella) it automatically doubles to 12. The team that is leading always tees off first. The team that is behind can "roll" or double the bet for that hole only after watching the tee shots of the leading team. If the losing team then hits lousy tee shots the leading team can "reroll" which makes the bet worth four times as much.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Rolling meadows 2:50 -18 holes. This is how golf should be played.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Rolling meadows 2:50 -18 holes. This is how golf should be played.

3 hours - this should be the goal. It’s 2019. Get with the times.

Reaction Score
As this 19 handicapper can attest, I use old balls and do not spend a lot of time looking for lost balls.

But when I do venture into the brush, finding a new Pro V makes up for a duffed shot into the water.

As I tell my friends, I am 61 years old and probably won't get much better. I struggle finding a balance between practicing golf and having a life. I have taken lessons that quickly evaporate once on the course. I am an A type personality that can find many life lessons in golf.

I play for moments not scores.

Reaction Score
3 1/2 - 4 hours is fine public course. Me and my other 3 (depending on which one of the many we all play together) if not held up 3 easy.

As far as games, never stray from the $5-$10 Nassau, $1-$2 birdies, greenies, sandy's, Front Back overall but also play the daily double on the Par 3's - 2 man team wins them all down the 1-2 bucks depending on 4-5 par3's on a given course. Or 6 par 3s at Cold Springs in Belchertown MA. Once a year we get 8-12 guys at Portland West and play 14 par 3's on the executive course and there's some cash to be made if you're throwing darts! LOL

Reaction Score
i play in a group of 8 to 16 golfers . We range from a 10 to a 19 handicap. We play the senior tees and play the double par rule. We are old but we get around pretty fast . Also we rarely play on weekends so as not to slow others down . Respect the game ,your fellow golfers and yourself.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
i play in a group of 8 to 16 golfers . We range from a 10 to a 19 handicap. We play the senior tees and play the double par rule. We are old but we get around pretty fast . Also we rarely play on weekends so as not to slow others down . Respect the game ,your fellow golfers and yourself.
As the one who derailed this thread, I’ll say the biggest thing that bothered me about the group I mentioned was the lack of respect to all parties involved. If you’re playing three tees and there is a pair behind you waiting on you at every hole how do they not offer to play through? Also, the guy playing the tips was wearing a T-shirt and bathing suit. Not saying everyone needs to dress like Payne Stewart but everything about him and his crew was just so disrespectful. I wanted to ask if we could play through but it wasn’t worth what probably would have been a big confrontation.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As the one who derailed this thread, I’ll say the biggest thing that bothered me about the group I mentioned was the lack of respect to all parties involved. If you’re playing three tees and there is a pair behind you waiting on you at every hole how do they not offer to play through? Also, the guy playing the tips was wearing a T-shirt and bathing suit. Not saying everyone needs to dress like Payne Stewart but everything about him and his crew was just so disrespectful. I wanted to ask if we could play through but it wasn’t worth what probably would have been a big confrontation.

If there is enough room ahead of the group, and if you want to avoid confrontation, just driving by them in the fairway, going to the next tee (maybe two), playing your holes and circling back to make up the ones you skipped is sometimes an option.

Hoops91

The Truth Factory
Reaction Score
You should be focused more on what format(s) you’re going to play, not worrying about everyone playing with each other. You can have 4 man or 2 man formats. I’ve been doing a 20 man trip for 16 years, you need to balance competition with fun. 2 cents - have fun!

Reaction Score
Well, I had my first hole-in-one today, and I played in 4.5 hours, and I didn’t give a crap.

You really got your first one today 68 sweeeeet Congrats my friend. Where and what did you use???

Reaction Score
You really got your first one today 68 sweeeeet Congrats my friend. Where and what did you use???
Our yearly trip to the Cape, we found Sandwich Hollows Wednesday special too good to pass up. $40 for 18 with cart. More than double any other venue up here.
#3, playing 122, little cut 8 iron, hit short and left of a right side pin (pretty good left to right, and back to front slopes... their signature hole), and tracked about 15-20 feet into the hole. I was in shock for a few minutes. Never expected to ever get one. Used to play 200-250 times a year in San Diego, and came close a few times, but I was pretty decent 40 years ago. Played with my son-in-law, my brother-in-law, and my nephew, so I get family bragging rights for a while.
We played in front of you at Quarry Ridge in a BYC. You might remember how far my nephew bombs it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom