OT: - Golf foursomes | The Boneyard

OT: Golf foursomes

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I have a golf weekend coming up and we have 8 golfers and we are playing 3 rounds. I've been tasked with putting the foursomes together. I'm trying to make it so every player plays with every other player for at least one round. Also, I'd prefer that no one plays three rounds with the same person. I've concluded that every player will play two rounds with 2 players and one round with 5 players over the course of 3 rounds. I can't get it to work that way when I try to put the foursomes together. Math and I don't get along. Anyone want to give it a try? Also, I know this is a little silly but I just want to see if it can be done.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have a golf weekend coming up and we have 8 golfers and we are playing 3 rounds. I've been tasked with putting the foursomes together. I'm trying to make it so every player plays with every other player for at least one round. Also, I'd prefer that no one plays three rounds with the same person. I've concluded that every player will play two rounds with 2 players and one round with 5 players over the course of 3 rounds. I can't get it to work that way when I try to put the foursomes together. Math and I don't get along. Anyone want to give it a try? Also, I know this is a little silly but I just want to see if it can be done.
There’s probably an app for this

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
With only 3 rounds, I don't think you can pull that off. What is feasible is to simply make four teams of two and alternate those so everyone gets to play together once, although you'll be with your "teammate" all three rounds. Should still be fun.

ABCD - EFGH
ABEF - CDGH
ABGH - CDEF

QDOG5

Reaction Score
With only 3 rounds, I don't think you can pull that off. What is feasible is to simply make four teams of two and alternate those so everyone gets to play together once, although you'll be with your "teammate" all three rounds. Should still be fun.

ABCD - EFGH
ABEF - CDGH
ABGH - CDEF
That's what I thought and we'll probably go with 2 man teams.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
MathIsHard.jpg

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score

ABCD - EFGH
ABEF - CDGH
ABGH - CDEF
With the above A and B will play together all three rounds which you want to avoid

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
With the above A and B will play together all three rounds which you want to avoid

Which I clearly stated in my post.

If you want to help the OP, then help the OP.

QDOG5

Reaction Score
@storrsroars has it correct. To play with everyone once in three rounds each golfer will have to play with one other golfer 3 times. They don't have to be teammates all 3 rounds. We are friends for 30+ years and having the same teammate for three days may put a dent in the friendshipsHead bang Thanks to everyone for responding. Here is an answer from our friends at the University of Regina in Saskatchewan.
8 golfers in 3 rounds - Math Central

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
@storrsroars has it correct. To play with everyone once in three rounds each golfer will have to play with one other golfer 3 times. They don't have to be teammates all 3 rounds. We are friends for 30+ years and having the same teammate for three days may put a dent in the friendshipsHead bang Thanks to everyone for responding. Here is an answer from our friends at the University of Regina in Saskatchewan.
8 golfers in 3 rounds - Math Central
But that's in Canada!!!
Has to be different down here

QDOG5

Reaction Score
Best I could find, eh. The website has calculations for hundreds of answers for golf trip scenarios. I bookmarked for future reference. My lack of math aptitude will follow me to the grave.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I had a MMF threesome in front of me today and it was brutal. They were playing three separate tees (guy hitting from the tips had a bathing suit on). Then cart up other guy hit from the whites. Cart up the women from the ladies tees. I’m all for people taking their time and enjoying a beautiful day but my buddy and I were right on them all day and they did GAF.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I had a MMF threesome in front of me today and it was brutal. They were playing three separate tees (guy hitting from the tips had a bathing suit on). Then cart up other guy hit from the whites. Cart up the women from the ladies tees. I’m all for people taking their time and enjoying a beautiful day but my buddy and I were right on them all day and they did GAF.

Only way to do that right is have each player up at their tee ready with their club and stand out of way as guy on tips hits. But generally any time you are playing multiple tees it sucks for those behind.

Sometimes a "practice" swing which accidentally makes contact in to the group four or five holes in a row gets their attention.
Or a call back to the pro shop if there isn't a Marshall on the course.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
As I often play with my wife, we're playing multiple tees and obviously pissing some of y'all off.

These days, if we're playing on a weekend, we're pretty much assuming we're gonna be out there for 4.5-5 hours. And that's not because of our limited talent. We're playing as quickly as the group ahead of us allows. Might suck for the group behind to watch us, but we don't spend time looking for lost balls or plumb-bobbing putts. Find it, hit it, chase it.

What would piss me off about the two guys playing different tees is if the guy in white was constantly farther down the fairway - and in the fairway or first cut - more than the guy from the blues/tips, as that would mean that guy from the tips doesn't belong there. I see that kind of crap way too often.

Reaction Score
We had 4 yesterday at The Ledges in South Hadley MA and there were an abundance of twosomes mixed into foursomes. Sorry but the course should somehow try to transition the twosomes into foursomes if they are only a couple of times apart. But nonetheless the couple in front of us was only "slow" because the foursome in front of them was playing the wrong tees for their games. They decided to play the blacks which were all the way back and not one of the 4 looked to hit it consistently enough or long enough to do so. Guessing they had at least 6 par 4s which were 3 shot holes for them (at least LOL) and they were also looking for balls a few times as well as a couple guys lining up putts from both sides of the hole big money match for guys shooting 95-115. If there is one gripe I have about golfers, can you please stop with the "I don't care if I shoot 110 I'm playing it all the way back because I want to see the WHOLE course" thats BS, play what your game deserves as well as the rest of us deserve. I'm not keeping all that quiet when I see people looking for their ProVs in the crap because they don't want to lose that 4 dollar gem of a ball as well as it's obvious you're playing the wrong tees because you suck. Well maybe if you played the course where you're supposed to you'd save some money on balls. 5 hours yesterday, too long for my taste.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We had 4 yesterday at The Ledges in South Hadley MA and there were an abundance of twosomes mixed into foursomes. Sorry but the course should somehow try to transition the twosomes into foursomes if they are only a couple of times apart. But nonetheless the couple in front of us was only "slow" because the foursome in front of them was playing the wrong tees for their games. They decided to play the blacks which were all the way back and not one of the 4 looked to hit it consistently enough or long enough to do so. Guessing they had at least 6 par 4s which were 3 shot holes for them (at least LOL) and they were also looking for balls a few times as well as a couple guys lining up putts from both sides of the hole big money match for guys shooting 95-115. If there is one gripe I have about golfers, can you please stop with the "I don't care if I shoot 110 I'm playing it all the way back because I want to see the WHOLE course" thats BS, play what your game deserves as well as the rest of us deserve. I'm not keeping all that quiet when I see people looking for their ProVs in the crap because they don't want to lose that 4 dollar gem of a ball as well as it's obvious you're playing the wrong tees because you suck. Well maybe if you played the course where you're supposed to you'd save some money on balls. 5 hours yesterday, too long for my taste.

game is dying on pace of play

Reaction Score

You aren’t kidding. That’s why when i played, going for a round at Atlanta Athletic Club was a joy. If you’re not off in 4 hours they come out and politely tell you that your round is over.

Worst ever is Bethpage Black - that’s a torturous round i think I did a couple of 6 hour or more rounds there. It was brutal.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'd have no problem with a course policy that on weekends between 1st group until 1pm no one goes off the tips without consent of starter. Get busted and go home. Want to "see the whole course"? Take your cart to the tips and enjoy the view. Then drive up to the appropriate tee box and play golf.

Reaction Score
You aren’t kidding. That’s why when i played, going for a round at Atlanta Athletic Club was a joy. If you’re not off in 4 hours they come out and politely tell you that your round is over.

Worst ever is Bethpage Black - that’s a torturous round i think I did a couple of 6 hour or more rounds there. It was brutal.
Thats a little harsh at AAC. As long as you keep up, the spacing between groups is on the club’s tee time policy.
That said, we had an ABCD, where they put each flight at different tees. I didn’t think I was slow, but some of those guys seem like their trying for lowest time, not lowest score.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There is so much that can be done for pace of play outside of hitting perfect shots off the tee and lagging every putt to tap in range.
Couple of basics. Ready golf off the tee. Sure, if a hacker gets a birdie you give them the honors but normally, whomever is ready, fire and go. If there's water, OOB or other hazards and you know you are susceptible to a bad tee shot, bring your lost/provisional/mulligan ball with you.
In the fairways, stop the cart closest to the player hitting first and have the second player select a couple of clubs, bring their towel and divot sand. Walk as close to your ball as practical without interfering with partners shot. At a minimum you should be able to get clubs in your hand if you can't walk to your ball. Visualize, look at hazards and know your game plan so you can get to your ball, take a practice swing and go.
Around the greens, whomever is further away gets out with all clubs needed to get on green and putt. Whomever is closer parks cart and park between green and next tee box whenever possible.
Getting beverages or food from cart girl? Have whomever is playing first buy the whole group (or at least the cart). Settle your tabs later.
So many other ways to save time too. You shouldn't have to feel rushed or the need to run. Just have a plan before you get over your ball and think strategically.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Officially spooled up on pace of play.

Another big issue with pace of play is golf balls. Specifically hackers using Pro VI/X or other $50/dz balls even though their game isn't nearly good enough to extract that technology.
Hacker hits in to the woods or water and rather than chalking it up as a lost ball and moving on they're looking all over for it since they're paying for 4-5 lost balls per round.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
lottsa advice from the golf 5-0 on speeding up play. here, i'll help. finally got the ball on the green? it's good--a gimmee. hit one ob, or near an alligator condo? no worries, winter rules. shot landed 'plunk' on the beach? pshaw, do your best tom brady and make believe that the cup is gronk. line at the turn to get a frosty bev too long? go 'air force' on the crowd with a subtle reminder of that sketchy bacon, egg, and cheese that you ate for breakfast. on the other hand, if the drinks cart rolls up and a lovely lady or two is driving it, well, back off---we'll hit, but not until we're done. whaddya think that pencil and piece of paper is for, hmm?
put me down for a five...

Reaction Score
Officially spooled up on pace of play.

Another big issue with pace of play is golf balls. Specifically hackers using Pro VI/X or other $50/dz balls even though their game isn't nearly good enough to extract that technology.
Hacker hits in to the woods or water and rather than chalking it up as a lost ball and moving on they're looking all over for it since they're paying for 4-5 lost balls per round.

Absolutely correct. You chili dip it into the pond or shanknado it into the woods - forget it.

Reaction Score
There is so much that can be done for pace of play outside of hitting perfect shots off the tee and lagging every putt to tap in range.
Couple of basics. Ready golf off the tee. Sure, if a hacker gets a birdie you give them the honors but normally, whomever is ready, fire and go. If there's water, OOB or other hazards and you know you are susceptible to a bad tee shot, bring your lost/provisional/mulligan ball with you.
In the fairways, stop the cart closest to the player hitting first and have the second player select a couple of clubs, bring their towel and divot sand. Walk as close to your ball as practical without interfering with partners shot. At a minimum you should be able to get clubs in your hand if you can't walk to your ball. Visualize, look at hazards and know your game plan so you can get to your ball, take a practice swing and go.
Around the greens, whomever is further away gets out with all clubs needed to get on green and putt. Whomever is closer parks cart and park between green and next tee box whenever possible.
Getting beverages or food from cart girl? Have whomever is playing first buy the whole group (or at least the cart). Settle your tabs later.
So many other ways to save time too. You shouldn't have to feel rushed or the need to run. Just have a plan before you get over your ball and think strategically.

Good points on cart girl and at the turn. How many times you come around after finishing up on 9 and guys who were timing the round fine suddenly are waking out of the 19th hole with hot dogs and beers and aren't back ready to hit. I have asked politely if we can hit and at least try because I have my own hidden away so as to keep pace on both golf and lol. I am more than generous with the cart girl despite usually having my own private stock as it's her living - all the guys I play with are the same but as you say we are sure not to let it slow us down. And while I do bring some of my own we always go in after and spend too. Guys who are in the middle of the fairway buying or even stalking a hot cart girl can ruin a round, happened at Gillette the other day (she was stunning lol) but please you're going home to your wife so buy, say hi and keep moving!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom