Going Forward (Cuse) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Going Forward (Cuse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Both Syracuse and UConn are going to be looking to set up OOC games at MSG against SJU. Notre Dame has already been begging to do so and Brey has said as much.I think it is very likely you'll see that type of arrangement because it is good for both sides.

caw

Reaction Score
Both Syracuse and UConn are going to be looking to set up OOC games at MSG against SJU. Notre Dame has already been begging to do so and Brey has said as much.I think it is very likely you'll see that type of arrangement because it is good for both sides.

UConn just needs to play in MSG once a year, it doesn't need to be against SJU at all.

Reaction Score
UConn just needs to play in MSG once a year, it doesn't need to be against SJU at all.

Shows how little you know. Uconn's appeal is playing a team like SJU for NYC recruiting which has been Uconn's lifeblood. Now you have no Jim Calhoun and think you'll be trying to play an ACC team once a year in NYC to increase your allure? Especially a team like Cuse who will soon also see their HOF head coach retire?

Pretty funny that you know what Uconn needs now, when some in this thread don't seem to want to play any games in the state of Connecticut any more and take over MSG. Uconn doesn't even outsell SJU fans at MSG any more like they did in the 90's nor is Uconn landing that talent level any more. Be careful what you wish for before blowing off SJU.

Reaction Score
Shows how little you know. Uconn's appeal is playing a team like SJU for NYC recruiting which has been Uconn's lifeblood. Now you have no Jim Calhoun and think you'll be trying to play an ACC team once a year in NYC to increase your allure? Especially a team like Cuse who will soon also see their HOF head coach retire?

Pretty funny that you know what Uconn needs now, when some in this thread don't seem to want to play any games in the state of Connecticut any more and take over MSG. Uconn doesn't even outsell SJU fans at MSG any more like they did in the 90's nor is Uconn landing that talent level any more. Be careful what you wish for before blowing off SJU.

No one knows what level of talent Uconn can land out of NYC. It's up in the air. You can pretend you know, but you don't.

So far this coach brought in Omar Calhoun, Kentan Facey, Terrence Samuel, all from NYC. No one knows how good these players will be. Samuel may be a Tate George, Facey may be an Emeka Okafor type, Omar Calhoun may become a Rashad Anderson. There is no way to know whether these 3 might be as good as the 3 I compared them to. Furthermore, these 3 are all from NYC, and they were recruited by Kevin Ollie, so there's that.

caw

Reaction Score

First it's UConn.

Second, I don't think the main part of the draw is the SJU part of the SJU at MSG game. It's the MSG part of the equation.

Third, in the past it was also the BET at MSG (much bigger than any regular season SJU game). This was probably the biggest factor, this will be irreplaceable, game against SJU or not.

Fourth, you say ACC game, but we both know we are talking about Cuse, which draws exceedingly well at MSG/NYC. Look at the crowds at the BET, Cuse and UConn dominate the crowds.

Fifth, Kemba Walker influence.

Sixth, give me a coaches versus cancer type game versus a ranked team and Cuse in the Garden every year and I'll be fine with that.

Seventh, like all things it will come down to winning.

I think you are a bit overreactive. I wasn't saying the SJU wouldn't be on the schedule or it wouldn't be a fun game. I just don't think it's "needed."

I think UConn will continue to go after and get kids in NYC regardless of whether they play SJU once a year.

Reaction Score
My point was that Uconn's influence in recruiting circles will fade if Uconn plays only one game a year in NYC. IMO Uconn should be looking to play more there than that, considering the loss of Calhoun and league changes. As far as Ollie landing those NYC kids, Calhoun was still there for their entire recruitment as was the Big East. Neither Samuel nor Facey were too tier NYC kids. I'm not saying there isn't talent there, but Uconn needs NYC talent more than you realize and should be looking to maximize exposure there.

caw

Reaction Score
My point was that Uconn's influence in recruiting circles will fade if Uconn plays only one game a year in NYC. IMO Uconn should be looking to play more there than that, considering the loss of Calhoun and league changes. As far as Ollie landing those NYC kids, Calhoun was still there for their entire recruitment as was the Big East. Neither Samuel nor Facey were too tier NYC kids. I'm not saying there isn't talent there, but Uconn needs NYC talent more than you realize and should be looking to maximize exposure there.

UConn, or UCONN.

Depends on what you mean by top tier?

Facey is a top 100 recruit and arguably the #2 NYC high school player this year behind Lawrence.

Samuel is a bit lower but again arguably the best or second best PG in his NYC high school class.

If you think Lawrence is the only top tier kid in this year's NYC class, then well you have to clarify what you mean by top tier. Are we talking top 20 nationally? Top 50? Top 100?

Reaction Score

No, you're so wrong here.

Calhoun was not there for their entire recruitment. Seems you're unaware of UConn recruiting right now.

Reaction Score
F
UConn, or UCONN.

Depends on what you mean by top tier?

Facey is a top 100 recruit and arguably the #2 NYC high school player this year behind Lawrence.

Samuel is a bit lower but again arguably the best or second best PG in his NYC high school class.

If you think Lawrence is the only top tier kid in this year's NYC class, then well you have to clarify what you mean by top tier. Are we talking top 20 nationally? Top 50? Top 100?

I've seen a lot of Facey. Nowhere near #2 anything in Ny basketball. Kid is raw and has a looong way to go. Haven't seen as much of Samuel. Jim Calhoun was the head coach for nearly the entire recruitment of those players. I've followed NYC recruiting for a long time. Facey is generously a top 100 player. Maybe he'll improve a lot by the time he gets to UConn, as he's already better and a nice athlete.

caw

Reaction Score
F

I've seen a lot of Facey. Nowhere near #2 anything in Ny basketball. Kid is raw and has a looong way to go. Haven't seen as much of Samuel. Jim Calhoun was the head coach for nearly the entire recruitment of those players. I've followed NYC recruiting for a long time. Facey is generously a top 100 player. Maybe he'll improve a lot by the time he gets to UConn, as he's already better and a nice athlete.

We will have to agree to disagree on Facey.

Edit: in hindsight, I meant in his class, not overall. Overall he isn't #2, but in his class, easily.

Reaction Score
We will have to agree to disagree on Facey.

Edit: in hindsight, I meant in his class, not overall. Overall he isn't #2, but in his class, easily.

He simply doesn't know what he thinks he knows about UConn recruiting. He doesn't realize that before Facey committed, he and his father were told by the university President that Ollie was going to be the next coach. He doesn't realize that shortly after Facey committed, Calhoun retired, and subsequently he committed to Ollie and signed a letter just recently. Facey is an Ollie recruit, there is no other way to see it.

Reaction Score
This NYC class is the worst in the last decade. Not even close. Facey and Samuel might be the only two D1 talents in the class which is crazy for NYC. An underrated kid is Johnathan Severe. Might be next Quincy Douby but not being highly recruited. Not trying to denigrate these kids. This class is just not that talented and neither Facey nor Samuel are talents like some of the players on the roster now.

Reaction Score
He simply doesn't know what he thinks he knows about UConn recruiting. He doesn't realize that before Facey committed, he and his father were told by the university President that Ollie was going to be the next coach. He doesn't realize that shortly after Facey committed, Calhoun retired, and subsequently he committed to Ollie and signed a letter just recently. Facey is an Ollie recruit, there is no other way to see it.

There is one way to see it. Calhoun was not removed from the program yet. You can convince yourself of that as long as you like. These commits were still recruited while Calhoun was on board. Let's see what Ollie does now on his own.

Reaction Score
There is one way to see it. Calhoun was not removed from the program yet. You can convince yourself of that as long as you like. These commits were still recruited while Calhoun was on board. Let's see what Ollie does now on his own.

They signed on the dotted line months after Calhoun retired. They were told point blank before they committed that Ollie was the next coach. In fact, they even stated that this is why they committed in the first place. This is a matter of public record. Facey's father relayed that info. Maybe you weren't aware of this.

caw

Reaction Score
This NYC class is the worst in the last decade. Not even close. Facey and Samuel might be the only two D1 talents in the class which is crazy for NYC. An underrated kid is Johnathan Severe. Might be next Quincy Douby but not being highly recruited. Not trying to denigrate these kids. This class is just not that talented and neither Facey nor Samuel are talents like some of the players on the roster now.

Like I said, we will agree to disagree on Facey, he looked OK vs SJU's current center last year. I haven't seen Samuel much either. I've heard he is underrated though, not overrated.

Reaction Score
They signed on the dotted line months after Calhoun retired. They were told point blank before they committed that Ollie was the next coach. In fact, they even stated that this is why they committed in the first place. This is a matter of public record. Facey's father relayed that info. Maybe you weren't aware of this.

Recruitment of a player goes on for years, not a few months generally. I'm aware of the entire timeline. Calhoun primed Ollie, held his hand and gave him a head start. These aren't Ollie recruits as a head coach, no matter how you cut it. Ollie's recruiting track record began once this season started with him as a head coach. Now he has to convince kids without Calhoun right next to him. Different story.

Reaction Score
We kinda like the Corporate atmosphere at the XL over tiny, raucous Storrs...the suits in Hartford are much nicer to visitors.:)
What's amazing with the woman in the GIF is that she actually won that race!

Reaction Score
Recruitment of a player goes on for years, not a few months generally. I'm aware of the entire timeline. Calhoun primed Ollie, held his hand and gave him a head start. These aren't Ollie recruits as a head coach, no matter how you cut it. Ollie's recruiting track record began once this season started with him as a head coach. Now he has to convince kids without Calhoun right next to him. Different story.

Wow, you give Ollie no quarter. I wonder why. You guys are still feeling that envy.

Reaction Score
Wow, you give Ollie no quarter. I wonder why. You guys are still feeling that envy.

It's not that at all. Envy of the program's success? Who wouldn't be? My thoughts on Ollie, Facey etc. are unrelated though. I like Ollie a lot. Wish Cahoun would step away gracefully and let him be his own man. I also think a 1 year contract is absurd and an insult. I think Ollie can do a good job, but every month he coaches without an extended contract, his hands are tied on the recruitng trail. Uconn admin. is going to ruin the 2013/14 class for him at this rate because not only can't Ollie sell the conference, but he can't sell recruits on him being there regardless. He's been submarined and it is totally unfair. Either you sign him or you don't. I'll go as far as saying, if I'm Ollie an I don't have a contract after the next month, I don't think I'd want to come back to Storrs an put back the pieces recruiting-wise.

Reaction Score
It's not that at all. Envy of the program's success? Who wouldn't be? My thoughts on Ollie, Facey etc. are unrelated though. I like Ollie a lot. Wish Cahoun would step away gracefully and let him be his own man. I also think a 1 year contract is absurd and an insult. I think Ollie can do a good job, but every month he coaches without an extended contract, his hands are tied on the recruitng trail. Uconn admin. is going to ruin the 2013/14 class for him at this rate because not only can't Ollie sell the conference, but he can't sell recruits on him being there regardless. He's been submarined and it is totally unfair. Either you sign him or you don't. I'll go as far as saying, if I'm Ollie an I don't have a contract after the next month, I don't think I'd want to come back to Storrs an put back the pieces recruiting-wise.

This is the ridiculous thing, every post shows lingering resentment. Calhoun and Ollie are tight, but we've seen nothing of Calhoun around Storrs. And you're one to talk with Carnesecca hanging around for a decade or more. All Calhoun said was, "Never say never." And people blew it up. Ollie brought in those recruits, by the way.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score

Not trying to denigrate these kids, just calling them the worst class in a decade.

The inability of the C7 fan bases to understand how college athletics works nowadays is mesmerizing. Go look at the CAA ratings on NBCSN. That is your future. You can't draw more than six thousand without UConn, Syracuse, Pitt or Louisville in town. Cannot do it.

The C7 are going to be really happy to have each other and nobody else is going to give two-thirds of a .

Reaction Score
Not trying to denigrate these kids, just calling them the worst class in a decade.

The inability of the C7 fan bases to understand how college athletics works nowadays is mesmerizing. Go look at the CAA ratings on NBCSN. That is your future. You can't draw more than six thousand without UConn, Syracuse, Pitt or Louisville in town. Cannot do it.

The C7 are going to be really happy to have each other and nobody else is going to give two-thirds of a .

Because that Johnnies class is ripping up college basketball with their abundance of talent right upstater? LOL........**y stuff!!

Reaction Score
Because that Johnnies class is ripping up college basketball with their abundance of talent right upstater? LOL........**y stuff!!

Sju doing fine without 2 starters. Jamal Branch comes back this week at PG. still missing Orlando Sanchex who was supposed to be starting PF. Actually Jakarr Sampson won frosh of week 3x already and Obekpa leads the country in blocks. This NYC class is the weakest in a decade. Fwiw, I think you'll see SJU land the #1 NYC player in Jermaine Lawrence anyway, but he plays in Nj now so not sure if you count him in the NYC class. Ask anybody that follows NYC hoops.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Both Syracuse and UConn are going to be looking to set up. I think it is very likely you'll see that type of arrangement because it is good for both sides.

Why doesn't SJU play UConn on Saturday anymore?

caw

Reaction Score
Sju doing fine without 2 starters. Jamal Branch comes back this week at PG. still missing Orlando Sanchex who was supposed to be starting PF. Actually Jakarr Sampson won frosh of week 3x already and Obekpa leads the country in blocks. This NYC class is the weakest in a decade. Fwiw, I think you'll see SJU land the #1 NYC player in Jermaine Lawrence anyway, but he plays in Nj now so not sure if you count him in the NYC class. Ask anybody that follows NYC hoops.

SJU really hasn't played anyone aside from a so-so Baylor team. They haven't shat the bed, but they aren't exactly wowing the world either. BE play should be interesting.

Sanchez is ineligible, I really don't want to bust on SJU recruiting, but isn't that almost becoming a running theme with Lavin recruits? How many is that in the past 2 years (I really don't know, my guess is 4)?

I still count Lawrence, I don't count Johnson, in the NYC class. Both are good though. SJU has a good shot at Lawrence, even better after Cuse went hard after McCullough (who is trying to reclassify).

Calhoun hasn't interfered with Ollie at all. Calhoun has been fantastic in his retirement. He has (aside from one quote) been quite graceful. That one quote got way blown out of proportion, here and in the media. Its not like he said, "I am going to coach again at UConn/college/etc."

I'm glad you aren't Ollie. He will likely get a contract and he isn't walking away unless he doesn't get one. If he weren't an ex-UConn player, I would agree with you, but he is and he is loyal to the school/program.

He isn't being hamstrung in 2014 recruiting (way too early), though he was for 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom