Going Forward (Cuse) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Going Forward (Cuse)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Access to MSG helps both teams. Cuse cannot become an ACC afterthought and UConn doesn't want to be lost in transatlantica.
Game needs to be played to show all in the ACC, they made a mistake in not adding UCONN. Yes there are people on the Syracuse board who dis-like UConn, but that's because we are rivals, just as the 80's when John Thompson the original was coaching Georgetown with his thugs. The rivalry between UConn and Syracuse was heated, but the game of basketball was actually played.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We should have a yearly "tri-state cup" at MSG modeled after the beanpot in hockey. Every year UConn, Syracuse, Rutgers, and St Johns play a mini tournament at MSG. They will all be in different conferences in a couple of years anyway--so would be a great OOC matchup. First round games on Friday night, consolation and championship games on Sunday afternoon.
I'd very much like to continue the rivalry and I am okay with the 3 game MSG format. I wonder if JB would want it, since he apparently opposed UConn to the ACC. I'm opposed to having the Johnnies and Rutgers participate, since they are an SOS hit and we have a less meaningful history with them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Syracuse won't schedule that game while JB is coach.

After that, who knows, but there's zero chance while he's there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Syracuse won't schedule that game while JB is coach.

After that, who knows, but there's zero chance while he's there.
Why?

Reaction Score
I don't think JB is as chummy with JC and UConn as many believe. That and the fact he's an absolute coward when it comes to scheduling OOC games is probably why this will never happen.

D

Deleted member 3149

Let's be real here. "The 'Cuse" plays nobody out of conference. Maybe they'll do a 1-1-1 series with Rutgers....

Reaction Score
Tobacco Road fought for UConn. FSU wanted Ville. Tobacco road did not want to anger FSU; afraid FSU might leave conference.

This...next wave takes UConn. I only hope it is UConn alone to finish out at 16. sigh...hate to lose anymore teams...demographically the ACC is much better fit for both schools...$$$ wise the B1G is a better fit. I also prefer the ACC style of hoops, FB and Olympic Sports over the B1G.

To Arnie: You kidding? UConn/Cuse would make ESPN or CBS every year as an OOC game...the 6OT game ensured that along with the annual excellence shown by both schools.

Reaction Score
I'd love to play SU, but frankly I think UConn will get blackballed by all the high profile schools in the area in both basketball and football. I don't even think Georgetown or Villanova will come near us. Part of it is to get rid of UConn as a competitor and also because I don't think the school has really endeared itself to other schools in the conference. Furthermore our Athletic Director has not shown an the ability to schedule, though it is still early days on that front.

UConn OOC schedule will consist of distant schools who have a reputation of scheduling aggressively like Florida, Michigan State, Gonzaga and UCLA.

Reaction Score
This...next wave takes UConn. I only hope it is UConn alone to finish out at 16. sigh...hate to lose anymore teams...demographically the ACC is much better fit for both schools...$$$ wise the B1G is a better fit. I also prefer the ACC style of hoops, FB and Olympic Sports over the B1G.

To Arnie: You kidding? UConn/Cuse would make ESPN or CBS every year as an OOC game...the 6OT game ensured that along with the annual excellence shown by both schools.

UVa and GT to B1G
UNC and Duke to SEC
Miami, FSU, Clemson, VT, Pitt and NC St. to B1G12

Syracuse, Wake Forest, Louisville and BC join the Big East/West.

I hope you guys get a refund on your entry/exit fees, because I hear the BEW re-entry fee will be very expensive.

Reaction Score
UVa and GT to B1G
UNC and Duke to SEC
Miami, FSU, Clemson, VT, Pitt and NC St. to B1G12

Syracuse, Wake Forest, Louisville and BC join the Big East/West.

I hope you guys get a refund on your entry/exit fees, because I hear the BEW re-entry fee will be very expensive.

Dude you need to stay off the WVU "PDex-GF" Board. Dude, MFVer3, Greg Swarmy, etc...have missed every call.

Reaction Score
I'd love to play SU, but frankly I think UConn will get blackballed by all the high profile schools in the area in both basketball and football. I don't even think Georgetown or Villanova will come near us. Part of it is to get rid of UConn as a competitor and also because I don't think the school has really endeared itself to other schools in the conference. Furthermore our Athletic Director has not shown an the ability to schedule, though it is still early days on that front.

UConn OOC schedule will consist of distant schools who have a reputation of scheduling aggressively like Florida, Michigan State, Gonzaga and UCLA.

I agree with most of what you say. As to whether they've endeared themselves, consider what Tranghese has said about UConn in the past, as well as Jacobs's recent article which highlighted how UConn was integral in brokering the peace between the football and basketball schools in the 1990s to allow BE football to come into being in the first place. I think UConn has played a much more significant role in BE administration than has been publicly acknowledged. Tranghese has mentioned this multiple times in the past, and Jacobs is just now getting the details.

Reaction Score
Dude you need to stay off the WVU "PDex-GF" Board. Dude, MFVer3, Greg Swarmy, etc...have missed every call.

When it breaks up, it will break up spectacularly. There will not be a piecemeal approach. Simply put, the B1G and SEC spots will be taken up instantly. It doesn't matter who grabs them--I don't care enough to really think through the possibilities, so I'm not really predicting it will pan out that way. I only know the top properties will be grabbed by the top conferences. I think very little of the ACC will be left in the end.

ND is going to join CYO in all sports.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Syracuse will never play UConn during the regular season as long as Boeheim is there.

caw

Reaction Score
So playing SDSU on a boat 5 miles from their campus and playing at Arkansas this year don't count?

I don't blame him for his scheduling but you surely can come up with better examples.

SDSU: On a boat. Sure it was close to campus, but it wasn't exactly open to the fans in the same way a true road game would have been, or even a neutral court game close to the opponents campus. The NCAAT game UConn played against SDSU two years ago was more of an away game.

If the SDSU game was a Pauley, or the Staples Center, then I would give Cuse credit for a road victory, even if technically farther from SDSU campus on a neutral court. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most tickets given to the military for that game?

Arkansas was part of the SEC - BE challenge, correct? I don't think Boeheim had a choice in accepting that game or it's venue.

Reaction Score
I don't blame him for his scheduling but you surely can come up with better examples.

SDSU: On a boat. Sure it was close to campus, but it wasn't exactly open to the fans in the same way a true road game would have been, or even a neutral court game close to the opponents campus. The NCAAT game UConn played against SDSU two years ago was more of an away game.

If the SDSU game was a Pauley, or the Staples Center, then I would give Cuse credit for a road victory, even if technically farther from SDSU campus on a neutral court. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't most tickets given to the military for that game?

Arkansas was part of the SEC - BE challenge, correct? I don't think Boeheim had a choice in accepting that game or it's venue.

Boeheim was asked to play on the boat...he said yes. The team flew 3000 miles. Sure it was not like playing on campus but the game was away. There was military but it had mostly paying fans.

So let me get this straight: an away game is only an away game is if you schedule it and isn't assigned to do it? Is this like we got no credit for beating KU in Kansas City and Florida in Tampa a few years ago since it was "neutral" and all MSG/NJ/Philly/Boston/Atlantic City/DC games are home games?

When you have the biggest arena for College Hoops...you can dictate terms. I wish he played more quality OOC matchups but the BE did a pretty good job of prepping you for the tourney.

Reaction Score
Boeheim was asked to play on the boat...he said yes. The team flew 3000 miles. Sure it was not like playing on campus but the game was away. There was military but it had mostly paying fans.

So let me get this straight: an away game is only an away game is if you schedule it and isn't assigned to do it? Is this like we got no credit for beating KU in Kansas City and Florida in Tampa a few years ago since it was "neutral" and all MSG/NJ/Philly/Boston/Atlantic City/DC games are home games?
Are you really trying to argue that your team does not consistently plays a weak out of conference schedule and nearly no away games? You may be able to convince marsh and some other minions on your board that, but please give it a break over here.

Reaction Score
Are you really trying to argue that your team consistently plays a weak out of conference schedule? You may be able to convince marsh and some other minions on your board that, but please give it a break over here.

LOL no...I just don't think it is that much worse than some of the other 5-10 Top programs out there. I won't apologize that we can get 15-18k to show up in Nov and Dec to beat up Rando Upstate NY Div 1 school...you guys play your fair share of them too. It is good to be at the top of the food chain.

Reaction Score

I would argue that there are very few scheduling decisions dumber than agreeing to play Syracuse, and their zone defense, on a boat. I'm sure Steve Fisher was shocked that his team shot 1-18 from three, right?

caw

Reaction Score

When you have the biggest arena for College Hoops...you can dictate terms. I wish he played more quality OOC matchups but the BE did a pretty good job of prepping you for the tourney.

I actually give Cuse more credit for KU and UF than SDSU as away games. They are much better examples than either of this year's games.

Reaction Score
Arizona, UNC, Indiana, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan St, Gonzaga, Kansas. Those are just a few teams Uconn has scheduled home and homes with in the last 10 years or so (gonzaga was played in NBA arenas near the teams home courts). These werent part of any conference affiliated 'challenge' where the team is forced into the game. Please enlighten us with Syracuse's brutal out of conference road games over the years.

Reaction Score
Arizona, UNC, Indiana, Oklahoma, Texas, Michigan St, Gonzaga, Kansas. Those are just a few teams Uconn has scheduled home and homes with in the last 10 years or so (gonzaga was played in NBA arenas near the teams home courts). These werent part of any conference affiliated 'challenge' where the team is forced into the game. Please enlighten us with Syracuse's brutal out of conference road games over the years.
That game in texas was awesome and added to kemba's legacy. Plus that was orginal hail mary from roscoe that was worst of the worst for like a year. The gonzaga series was fun too but in fairness spokane and seattle are pretty far apart.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He's not. He would prefer a better schedule as well. His point is that Cuse doesn't do things much differently than the top programs. They don't have to because they can dictate terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom