Going forward……… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Going forward………

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Interesting Temple's QB is EJ Warner who we were involved with until I believe Zion signed, and sure enough he has been putting up some decent numbers - granted he is probably not down to his 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th WRs but we do have a talented RB room (still) we just need to make better use of these guys talent - maybe see what Rosa or Houston's speed will give us on a wheel route covered when by a LB.

But I digress back to the point at hand apparently we either told Warner we were done after Zion signed or asked him wait until we heard from other QBs, either way he'd be a nice option for us right about now.
I believe Zion signed much sooner?

Zion committed to UConn January 19, 2022
Warner committed to Temple January 26, 2022

Reaction Score
I do like Rosa though. And I would like to see a trick play or two with him throwing the ball.
I agree down the road when things improve. Might be a little early at the game speed we have faced for a frosh. That and the availability of receivers.
When we have the best QB on the field we will win games again. Thats how games are won.
Just my opinion but I would replace QB with the word team. The best QB in the world cannot do anything without a surrounding cast. It's called team work for a reason. With eleven on the field all are dependent on the others for reason.
So are we. Need to face facts that we are not any better despite the hype of Mora. The old patience argument is growing old - 12 years later.
OK... With all due respect can we take a step back and look at the whole picture? No attack but what year has any UConn team had to face a schedule like this to start a season? What year had this many injuries this early?
Just my opinion but he has done nothing wrong and is building a culture under the most trying times. He has a couple of more years before I decide to rail against him or just move down to handicap seating and moan. ;)

Reaction Score
Go back to Oz. :rolleyes:
We’re 170 in the Sagarin computer. 170. We have not performed at a level that would put us in the top half of the Ivy League.

It is rational to think we can beat FIU and UMass. If the game were played today we would be 14 point or so dogs at Ball State. Fine if people want to think we’re winning there. We have shown nothing to make anyone think we can be competitive in any of the 4 other games. That is not a statement about Mora or the staff. That is a statement about the reality of where the program is today.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
We’re 170 in the Sagarin computer. 170. We have not performed at a level that would put us in the top half of the Ivy League.

It is rational to think we can beat FIU and UMass. If the game were played today we would be 14 point or so dogs at Ball State. Fine if people want to think we’re winning there. We have shown nothing to make anyone think we can be competitive in any of the 4 other games. That is not a statement about Mora or the staff. That is a statement about the reality of where the program is today.
There are 44 FCS programs rated better than UConn and 86 below UConn. Which means statistically UConn isn't even in the top third of FCS teams.

Hell, there are 11 FCS programs rated better than Utah St.

Reaction Score

Yes BL but those on here predicting 4 let alone 5 wins this season are not interested in reality.

Reaction Score
Agree on the facing facts part. But I think that winning two more is just as probable as winning only one more. Perhaps 33% each. Leaving zero more wins at 21% and three more at 13%.

The unfortunate news is that 1-11 is still in play. The better news is that its probability is no higher than last week. I don't think you can tell a thing about UConn's potential to beat weaker teams by reading the tea leaves of a shellacking at the hands of highly ranked teams.
“Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain”

Mora’s first season as coach isn’t even half way through and he’s pouncing on him already.

Reaction Score

Ball State sucks, they’re 1-3, got blown out by Tennessee 59-10, and scored its only points against the 2nd stringers. Also lost to two FBS giants Western Michigan and Georgia Southern.

Take a Valium you’ll think more clearly.

Reaction Score

…….and Ball State has????? Check out how they’ve done so far this season. Are you on drugs? I’m questioning how a man who passed the NY State Bar could possibly make such a stupid analysis.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I love the BC is a win prediction. That's right up there with the folks who were claiming 'Cuse would be a win before the season started. This team isn't coming anywhere near a win against even the worst P5 program.

I'll be happy with one more win and I think we can possibly eek out 2. The Mora Kool Aid will be put to the test after this week's game.

Reaction Score
UConn will need a passing game to beat BC.

Long, sustained scoring drives on the ground will be extremely difficult without being able to back defenders out of the box with a passing game.

I also do not see a "W" for that game.

Reaction Score
BC isn't even the worst P5 team. That is Colorado. BC is bad but they're 110 in Sagarin.

Reaction Score
Zion committed to UConn January 19, 2022
Warner committed to Temple January 26, 2022
Hence my point, thanks Medic! The staff probably told Zion they wouldn't take another QB in his class because they thought he was the better of the two. Hopefully that is how it plays out in time.

Reaction Score
Interesting Temple's QB is EJ Warner who we were involved with until I believe Zion signed, and sure enough he has been putting up some decent numbers - granted he is probably not down to his 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th WRs but we do have a talented RB room (still) we just need to make better use of these guys talent - maybe see what Rosa or Houston's speed will give us on a wheel route covered when by a LB.

But I digress back to the point at hand apparently we either told Warner we were done after Zion signed or asked him wait until we heard from other QBs, either way he'd be a nice option for us right about now.
I'd love to see those guys on wheel routes too, but it won't matter if the QB doesn't release the ball to them. ZT is hesitant to pull the trigger on anything vertical it seems.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

I have watched 3 of their games this yr. Warner has made 3 nice throws downfield (3 more than ZT), but has thrown some awful picks and hasn't really generated much offense. I am not clamoring for him to be here. And he wasn't the starter out of camp.

Reaction Score
I don’t see a basis for a lot of optimism. But its ztill wait and see. We just played two teams way out of league i suspect even uf we were fully loaded. And Cuse isn't too shabby. Still lack playmaking people in both sides. Bad Schemes?.
I'd like to believe we've had a talent upgrade in coaching. And hopefully that will result in talent upgrade in recruiting. IMO ever since 1aa-1a move, a number of recruits need a couple of years of practice to reach the skill levels of those schools that traditionally are stocked with 3*-4* recruits. Its not a knock on the athletes or the coaches ........it is what it is. I'd like to believe everyone is trying to the best of the abilities. If/when Mora is successful in attracting athletes with a better base line of talent to begin with, UConns ratings will improve.........it will be a long road to get there.

Reaction Score
There are 44 FCS programs rated better than UConn and 86 below UConn. Which means statistically UConn isn't even in the top third of FCS teams.

Hell, there are 11 FCS programs rated better than Utah St.
FIU is 206 and Umass is 207. CCSU, which took us into the 4th QTR when we had Carter and some others we are now without, is 247. At this point, I do not feel at all confident about either FIU or UMass. Hopeful but not confident. And forget BC, Ball State, Army and Liberty. Our only chance at another W is to develop at least a marginally effective passing game, so let's start throwing the ball on Saturday and let the chips fall where they may.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I have watched 3 of their games this yr. Warner has made 3 nice throws downfield (3 more than ZT), but has thrown some awful picks and hasn't really generated much offense. I am not clamoring for him to be here. And he wasn't the starter out of camp.
This could be part of why we haven't seen ZT attempt many downfield passes. His first (against Utah St) was picked (most likely because he never saw the defensive back) and he may be a little gun shy now.

Reaction Score
I really can't take too much from the last 2 games. Last year's team would have been blown out too maybe by less or more. The injuries at the skill offense positions have ruined the first half of the year - it turns out Utah State wasn't really that good and UConn almost won that game (or was at least competitive until the end)... Fresno State is better than their record and even coming cross country this game won't be competitive. Second half is about the players who remain healthy improving.

As for the "throw the ball downfield" thing - I watched the Syracuse game in person and there was probably 2 balls that weren't thrown down field that could have been - no one is open. No defense is afraid of getting burned deep so everyone is packed in. Do you want Zion to throw a ball 2-3 times a game where one guy running a post is double covered so he has to be over thrown by 10 feet to avoid an interception? Warner has players to throw to. Temple also hasn't played UConn's schedule. The next 2 weeks they play road games at Memphis (points will be scored by both teams) and UCF... let's see what that looks like. Big difference between Rutgers and Duke vs. Michigan and NC State - and Syracuse is far better than I expected.

Liberty and BC will both blow UConn out at home which will be frustrating - Army isn't as good as last year but they will be all in running their preview for Navy game and I expected it to be ugly too. FIU, Ball State and UMass have all taken very bad losses too. All three games are winnable. If they win 2, that's two more FBS wins than they've had in awhile and 3 times more wins than last year.

Reaction Score
BC isn't even the worst P5 team. That is Colorado. BC is bad but they're 110 in Sagarin.
And Colorado is ranked below UConn this week according to The Athletic 131. Two places below. (There is a link in this morning's NYT.)

Reaction Score
BL claims Uconn 170 on the Sagarin. Lol

“Sagarin”, sounds like a prescription drug. Lol

Reaction Score

I think Warner was looking to land at a power 5 school and settled on Temple. Mara most likely taken him even after he got Zion if Warner was interested.

Reaction Score
And Colorado is ranked below UConn this week according to The Athletic 131. Two places below. (There is a link in this morning's NYT.)

1664205041774.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34