Going forward……… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Going forward………

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agreed. UConn may even be favored against FIU and UMass, but that will mean nothing. TOSSUP's at best. Those two games should be treated as must wins with nothing taken off the table.

Even if they are better I would be afraid that they would just play down to the competition

Reaction Score
Our run defense seem to get worse this week. We gave up way to many 7 or 8 yard run plays. I didn't see any improvement as a result of using a 4-3 defense.
Mitchell and Swenson are good players, but they average about 220lbs together, they are facing such a size disadvantage fighting, taking on the blockers. The middle has been very light for years.

Reaction Score
He has eyes and he can see.
Cheetah has eyes and can see too.

1664132771453.jpeg

Reaction Score
Mitchell and Swenson are good players, but they average about 220lbs together, they are facing such a size disadvantage fighting, taking on the blockers. The middle has been very light for years.
Trend lately has been for lighter LBs. Quicker but not as effective at run stop.

Reaction Score
When we have the best QB on the field we will win games again. Thats how games are won. Watching Adrian Martinez for Kansas St run for 4 TDs and pass for one to beat Oklahoma yesterday really drove home that point. Martinez is a senior and played like it.

Reaction Score
Agreed. UConn may even be favored against FIU and UMass, but that will mean nothing. TOSSUP's at best. Those two games should be treated as must wins with nothing taken off the table.
One thing I see in our favor is that our strength has been the running game. And that should be the type of game plan that beats FIU and UMass. It's just a matter of execution. The more physical team should win that match-up. Line up, put your hand in the dirt and impose your will on them. I think the Army game should be closer than people think too. May not be a win, but some make it sound like it's going to be a blow out. Our run defense has been the stronger part of our defensive game, which should make it tougher on Army. Will our offense show up? Who knows...

Reaction Score
………I think we end the season with 4 or 5 wins. Even with the injuries we have I think we definitely can beat FIU, BC, Ball State, and UMass. Anything is possible but Liberty, Army, and Fresno look like losses. If we get Carter back before the end of the season maybe we win one more. I’m optimistic and I know a lot of you are not so have at it. If we get Puma back in any position that’s also a huge plus.
I like your take…will take a few things to happen but it’s possible….to be competitive in ALL games going forward, we need Carter back and think there is a chance we get Marion back at some point. Also, curious if Mora decides to go with Tyler Phommachanh at Qb for the final 6 games….maybe not this week but he would definitely make a difference.

As I knew this would happen, this board is evaluating our team being down 6 key players and also losses to a strong Syracuse team with a pro QB and the 4th and 10th ranked teams in the country on the road.

The remaining 7 games are against teams ranked 70 and higher, 4 of the teams ranked 90 and higher. So it is not a stretch to say the cant be competitive in all 7 and not a stretch to say they could win 4 or 5 more….again still question marks about Carter, Marion and at QB…but I think I can see us in every game from this point forward….not a crazy thought at all….the team rankings on our schedule make it possible.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
With many more injuries this team will be hard pressed to be competitive
I honestly think that with QB1, RB1 and WR1 this team can win 5+ games but it isn't with the team on the field
A 2 victory season, based on how banged up they are, will be ok with me.
Watching Rosa play warms my heart - he is going to be special
This teams needs a QB with more than 5 games D1 experience - every team needs an experienced QB to be successful
What has me concerned is the continuation of missed tackles and the secondary who never looks for the ball because their backs are always turned facing the receiver.

Reaction Score
We need to take a step forward. The easiest way for that to happen is to have the lights come on for Zion. But he may be so damaged at this point he can't improve.

Our pass rush has been credible given the opposition. Although the DL gives up the edge way too easy improvement there would be helpful. Our DBs need to stop playing trail technique and turn their dam heads around.

The biggest obstacle in the upcoming games against beatable opposition is that this team doesn't know how to win. They simply haven't done it enough. It will tough.

Reaction Score
I like your take…will take a few things to happen but it’s possible….to be competitive in ALL games going forward, we need Carter back and think there is a chance we get Marion back at some point. Also, curious if Mora decides to go with Tyler Phommachanh at Qb for the final 6 games….maybe not this week but he would definitely make a difference.

As I knew this would happen, this board is evaluating our team being down 6 key players and also losses to a strong Syracuse team with a pro QB and the 4th and 10th ranked teams in the country on the road.

The remaining 7 games are against teams ranked 70 and higher, 4 of the teams ranked 90 and higher. So it is not a stretch to say the cant be competitive in all 7 and not a stretch to say they could win 4 or 5 more….again still question marks about Carter, Marion and at QB…but I think I can see us in every game from this point forward….not a crazy thought at all….the team rankings on our schedule make it possible.
Lol. Even I never thought we might get Marion back, but if we do, that really helps the team.

Reaction Score
ll
………I think we end the season with 4 or 5 wins. Even with the injuries we have I think we definitely can beat FIU, BC, Ball State, and UMass. Anything is possible but Liberty, Army, and Fresno look like losses. If we get Carter back before the end of the season maybe we win one more. I’m optimistic and I know a lot of you are not so have at it. If we get Puma back in any position that’s also a huge plus.
Have you watched the games? What makes you think that 4 or 5 wins are possible. You think that those four teams are going to lay down. Wonder what their boards think of us. Time to rethink that position. Take off the Husky colored glasses. That take is hilarious. Not happening. It's another year of two wins at best.

Reaction Score
ll

Have you watched the games? What makes you think that 4 or 5 wins are possible. You think that those four teams are going to lay down. Wonder what their boards think of us. Time to rethink that position. Take off the Husky colored glasses. That take is hilarious. Not happening. It's another year of two wins at best.
Go back to Oz. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Go back to Oz. :rolleyes:
Well isn't that the same place that you are currently residing with your take of four to five wins. Let's just table that to the end of the season. Otherwise, ignore the man with the 4-5 win prediction. I'll take that action six ways till Sunday.

Reaction Score
So are we. Need to face facts that we are not any better despite the hype of Mora. The old patience argument is growing old - 12 years later.
Agree on the facing facts part. But I think that winning two more is just as probable as winning only one more. Perhaps 33% each. Leaving zero more wins at 21% and three more at 13%.

The unfortunate news is that 1-11 is still in play. The better news is that its probability is no higher than last week. I don't think you can tell a thing about UConn's potential to beat weaker teams by reading the tea leaves of a shellacking at the hands of highly ranked teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ball State is a better team than most in the thread are giving them credit for being. There's a reason their SP+ is closer to Army & Liberty and above BC. The path to three wins was always CCSU, FIU & UMass. FIU & UMass are still beatable despite the injuries. Getting to 3 wins is a successful season (hell it beats Vegas' 2.5 win line). More than that is both unlikely and an amazing success

Reaction Score
I watched the UMass game against Temple. BOTH TEAMS are bad. UMass is really bad.
Interesting Temple's QB is EJ Warner who we were involved with until I believe Zion signed, and sure enough he has been putting up some decent numbers - granted he is probably not down to his 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th WRs but we do have a talented RB room (still) we just need to make better use of these guys talent - maybe see what Rosa or Houston's speed will give us on a wheel route covered when by a LB.

But I digress back to the point at hand apparently we either told Warner we were done after Zion signed or asked him wait until we heard from other QBs, either way he'd be a nice option for us right about now.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Interesting Temple's QB is EJ Warner who we were involved with until I believe Zion signed, and sure enough he has been putting up some decent numbers - granted he is probably not down to his 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th WRs but we do have a talented RB room (still) we just need to make better use of these guys talent - maybe see what Rosa or Houston's speed will give us on a wheel route covered when by a LB.

But I digress back to the point at hand apparently we either told Warner we were done after Zion signed or asked him wait until we heard from other QBs, either way he'd be a nice option for us right about now.
I believe Zion signed much sooner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger