Going forward……… | The Boneyard

Going forward………

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
………I think we end the season with 4 or 5 wins. Even with the injuries we have I think we definitely can beat FIU, BC, Ball State, and UMass. Anything is possible but Liberty, Army, and Fresno look like losses. If we get Carter back before the end of the season maybe we win one more. I’m optimistic and I know a lot of you are not so have at it. If we get Puma back in any position that’s also a huge plus.

Reaction Score
………I think we end the season with 4 or 5 wins. Even with the injuries we have I think we definitely can beat FIU, BC, Ball State, and UMass. Anything is possible but Liberty, Army, and Fresno look like losses. If we get Carter back before the end of the season maybe we win one more. I’m optimistic and I know a lot of you are not so have at it. If we get Puma back in any position that’s also a huge plus.

I love you all but you are high as hell if you believe this.

Reaction Score

It’s not even worth responding to that, other than I hope you’re right. But there is no evidence to support your prediction whatsoever. Talk to me after we play FIU and Ball State.

Last edited:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It’s not even worth responding to that, over than I hope you’re right. But there is no evidence to support your prediction whatsoever. Talk to me after we play FIU and Ball State.
I agree, but. We are going through a brutal part of the schedule really banged up with basically a 3rd string freshman QB. The last scoring drive was vs NC State second string. granted it was mostly running - Rosa looked legit - but how much worse is their 2nd string than 3 or 4 of the remaining teams first string. The real down sides for me are that the improved O line is not nearly up to big time competition. That Turner seems no where near as ready as Tyler last year. seemingly not a quick decision maker (possibly more an issue with receivers) or that elusive or quick. That we have few playmakers on D And right now none in the receiving corps. Although the D wasnt exactly run roughshod in the second half even given NC State using the bench the last 8 minutes. But I’ll be in my seat whatever.

Reaction Score
It’s not even worth responding to that, over than I hope you’re right. But there is no evidence to support your prediction whatsoever. Talk to me after we play FIU and Ball State.
I think there is evidence, maybe you just don’t see it. I know it’s difficult to do after the disaster of the past three years. We will beat FIU by 3 touchdowns, at least, and Ball State by 2 touchdowns. Keep in mind this is not UConn’s and the coaching staffs first game of the season. BC has one of the worst run defenses in FBS, I think UConn rushes (Rosa, Houston, Millen, ZT) for at least 200 yards against BC. As for UMass, well they will always be UMass.

Reaction Score
QB1, WR1, WR2, RB1 all out, no pass rush, limited DBs.
…….and if we had those players healthy do we beat Utah State? Agree on the DB’s but UConn does have a pass rush and they had one last night, but the defensive back field is so bad that all Leary needed was a few seconds to complete his passes. How many sacks and hurries did UConn’s defense have last night? I think they had some.

Reaction Score
I agree, but. We are going through a brutal part of the schedule really banged up with basically a 3rd string freshman QB. The last scoring drive was vs NC State second string. granted it was mostly running - Rosa looked legit - but how much worse is their 2nd string than 3 or 4 of the remaining teams first string. The real down sides for me are that the improved O line is not nearly up to big time competition. That Turner seems no where near as ready as Tyler last year. seemingly not a quick decision maker (possibly more an issue with receivers) or that elusive or quick. That we have few playmakers on D And right now none in the receiving corps. Although the D wasnt exactly run roughshod in the second half even given NC State using the bench the last 8 minutes. But I’ll be in my seat whatever.
I have been and remain fully in agreement that it's not fair to ask is this team worse than the last few years based on the current evidence. It's not. But there is a long, long way between it not being fair to conclude we've gotten worse and to think we've gotten better. We have been awful the last few weeks. And that's less about the scores themselves, than it is the manner in which we've gotten blown out. That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut, other than telling both optimists and pessimists that you're going to have to wait to know if you are correct for a few more weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree with most of what you say about ZT, but if you really want a dual threat QB, why not Rosa at QB?

Reaction Score
I have been and fully in agreement that it's not fair to ask is this team worse than the last few days based on the current evidence. It's not. But there is a long, long way between it not being fair to conclude we've gotten worse and to think we've gotten better. We have been awful the last few weeks. And that's less about the scores themselves, than it is the manner in which we've gotten blown out. That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut, other than telling both optimists and pessimists that you're going to have to wait to know if you are correct, for a few more weeks.
During the same stretch we have had a string of injuries to starters that would effect almost any team. It is what it is. I’m assuming you’re not including the loss to Utah State in that string.

Reaction Score
I understand the offensive struggles with all the injuries and realize there is no way to make any judgements on that side of the ball.

My issue is with how horrible the defense has been. For people to make definitive statements about how the defense is improved to me is crazy.

NC St had over 350 yards of offense in the 1st half and that included a turnover. They did whatever they wanted offensively and the UConn defense provided no ability to stop them forcing zero punts.

Yes, I believe the offense will be better with healthy players but, something must be done about the defense because it's not working.

Maybe it's a Spanos hangover or something but at some point you have to stop the other team

Reaction Score
We have a chance against FIU and UMass the rest will be losses and it won’t be in doubt. But 3 wins will be as impressive a season since diaco and the last bowl season. Fyi regardless of what happened diaco did get us to a bowl game and the field storming against Houston.

Reaction Score
I understand the offensive struggles with all the injuries and realize there is no way to make any judgements on that side of the ball.

My issue is with how horrible the defense has been. For people to make definitive statements about how the defense is improved to me is crazy.

NC St had over 350 yards of offense in the 1st half and that included a turnover. They did whatever they wanted offensively and the UConn defense provided no ability to stop them forcing zero punts.

Yes, I believe the offense will be better with healthy players but, something must be done about the defense because it's not working.

Maybe it's a Spanos hangover or something but at some point you have to stop the other team

The defense is hit or miss. I’m not saying they are good but there are some positives. We played two corners last night who had never played before. The offense is on the field 3 plays at a time.

If offense could actually stay on the field our defense would be perceived differently by you.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
I'm starting to worry that we may not have another W on the schedule. We are too inexperienced, too young, too small, too weak, and/or too injured to compete at the level required to win. I love the spirit of our guys and we have a few bright spots on O, D, and special teams. However great those factors are, they are not enough to carry us to victory.

I will consider this season a success if we beat UMASS and either FIU or Ball State and we play a competitive game against BC.

Reaction Score

They have been trying different things. McCarthy is injured and he was their best linemen before going down. Moving away from the 3-4 as Bembry was not looking very productive.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I have been and fully in agreement that it's not fair to ask is this team worse than the last few days based on the current evidence. It's not. But there is a long, long way between it not being fair to conclude we've gotten worse and to think we've gotten better. We have been awful the last few weeks. And that's less about the scores themselves, than it is the manner in which we've gotten blown out. That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut, other than telling both optimists and pessimists that you're going to have to wait to know if you are correct, for a few more weeks.
I don’t see a basis for a lot of optimism. But its ztill wait and see. We just played two teams way out of league i suspect even uf we were fully loaded. And Cuse isn't too shabby. Still lack playmaking people in both sides. Bad Schemes?.

Reaction Score
I’m still saying 3-4. FIU and UMass should be wins. They are getting blown out like we are against MUCH WORSE teams. However, I will hold off on Ball St. and BC until I see how we play against Fresno and FIU. I think they are winnable, but I’m sold on our ability to pull it off.

Reaction Score
They have been trying different things. McCarthy is injured and he was their best linemen before going down. Moving away from the 3-4 as Bembry was not looking very productive.
Our run defense seem to get worse this week. We gave up way to many 7 or 8 yard run plays. I didn't see any improvement as a result of using a 4-3 defense.

Reaction Score
Our run defense seem to get worse this week. We gave up way to many 7 or 8 yard run plays. I didn't see any improvement as a result of using a 4-3 defense.

NC State has very good running backs.

Reaction Score
The last scoring drive was vs NC State second string. granted it was mostly running - Rosa looked legit - but how much worse is their 2nd string than 3 or 4 of the remaining teams first string.
Do we know this or was it their scout team? Guessing the latter given that UConn's offensive performance seemed night and day better.

I do like Rosa though. And I would like to see a trick play or two with him throwing the ball.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to worry that we may not have another W on the schedule. We are too inexperienced, too young, too small, too weak, and/or too injured to compete at the level required to win. I love the spirit of our guys and we have a few bright spots on O, D, and special teams. However great those factors are, they are not enough to carry us to victory.

I will consider this season a success if we beat UMASS and either FIU or Ball State and we play a competitive game against BC.
Agreed. UConn may even be favored against FIU and UMass, but that will mean nothing. TOSSUP's at best. Those two games should be treated as must wins with nothing taken off the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom