Give Kevin a Chance | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Give Kevin a Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agree that the product would have been much more pleasurable to watch. It would have been a trickle down effect in terms of PT with less reliance on just Vital and Larrier as options to Adams for scoring. Anderson would have had his expected role off the bench as an energy guy. It would have been less 1-on-1 time at the end of the shot clock because of Gilbert's penetrating and passing ability. Just a more creative offense because of his ability. It is how the team practiced throughout the fall and then it was drastically altered by the injury.
This has been debated here ad nauseum, with many of us arguing Gilbert’s injury history was too significant to put all your eggs in that one basket. It would have been a huge help to have him but to leave the cupboard so bare if he got hurt again was just gross negligence.

Reaction Score
Barring running the tables in the conference tournament (low probability), there will be a negotiated buyout after the season concludes.
ChiefCertified#

Who do you want as the next coach?;)

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I have been a UCONN Men’s season ticket holder for 33 years and Woman’s 24 years, I looked up at the banners last night 15 and realized how spoiled we are as UCONN fans. We are not entitled to championships or NCAA tournament selections. We should be ashamed of how we are treating Kevin, he who played for us and coached us to a NC in 2014. It wasn’t just a few years ago that we were worried sick that Kevin would leave for the NBA. In his short coaching tenure Kevin has replaced a HOF coach, cleaned up the fall out of a academic progress probation and still won a NC. He deserves a chance to turn this around with his new coaching staff. Kevin has 3 years left on his contract, give him a chance to succeed, get off his back, he deserves our support.
Amen!

Reaction Score
I think a major part of our failure this season is that Ollie set up too tough of a schedule early in the season. We are a young team that needs to get wins early in the season to get confidence and play knowledge. I think we will see a much lighter schedule next season.

With Akinjo, Matthews, and Kisuanas and Sid arriving next year and a possible fourth year with Jalen, I think AD Dave will give Ollie the chance to turn things around with the stipulation that this is his final hurrah if things go bad.
The more I think about it, if Ollie leaves, not only will we have players transfer, Jalen may leave and also our incoming recruits my decommit. Meaning, the Ollie firing would set the program back for years. It is a tough decision to make for AD Dave. I don't envy his position. But if I were him, I would let Ollie coach next year. With four talented guards, an athletic slasher in Sid, true bigs in Carlton and Kisuanas and a much deeper bench, Ollie should bring us back to the tourney and make us a top 25 team again.

Reaction Score
Barring running the tables in the conference tournament (low probability), there will be a negotiated buyout after the season concludes.
ChiefCertified#
That kind of results oriented thinking is pretty scary if it's coming from the AD. Whether they lose round one or win the whole thing, how does that prove whether or not Ollie has identified the problem areas and is or is not working to fix them?

Reaction Score
I think a major part of our failure this season is that Ollie set up too tough of a schedule early in the season. We are a young team that needs to get wins early in the season to get confidence and play knowledge. I think we will see a much lighter schedule next season.

With Akinjo, Matthews, and Kisuanas and Sid arriving next year and a possible fourth year with Jalen, I think AD Dave will give Ollie the chance to turn things around with the stipulation that this is his final hurrah if things go bad.
The more I think about it, if Ollie leaves, not only will we have players transfer, Jalen may leave and also our incoming recruits my decommit. Meaning, the Ollie firing would set the program back for years. It is a tough decision to make for AD Dave. I don't envy his position. But if I were him, I would let Ollie coach next year. With four talented guards, an athletic slasher in Sid, true bigs in Carlton and Kisuanas and a much deeper bench, Ollie should bring us back to the tourney and make us a top 25 team again.
Keep in mind the schedule was set before the revamped roster so we assumed we were bringing back more cohesion and experience. A good but doable schedule from that standpoint last May and June

Reaction Score
That kind of results oriented thinking is pretty scary if it's coming from the AD. Whether they lose round one or win the whole thing, how does that prove whether or not Ollie has identified the problem areas and is or is not working to fix them?

At some point you realize that things are not working. One NCAA appearance in 4 seasons is a large enough sample size.

C

Chief00

If KO can bring this team back from the dead and win the conference tournament - and take us dancing - he deserves another year. Unlike most logical people, I don’t totally discount to zero that possibility. Otherwise, things will change.

C

Chief00

Keep in mind the schedule was set before the revamped roster so we assumed we were bringing back more cohesion and experience. A good but doable schedule from that standpoint last May and June
I think it would be a huge mistake to dumb down future schedules based on the last couple of years performance. Playing elite teams home/away and on neutral courts is a legacy from our brand of winning NC’s. Let’s not magnify the damage and throw that away too. We just need to get much better on the court and that should be our focus.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
76D9F047-8AF6-49A2-8F10-283F5D2D3829.jpeg

The “fridge” is prime, as they say in the newspaper business, above the fold space.

Reaction Score
At some point you realize that things are not working. One NCAA appearance in 4 seasons is a large enough sample size.
I'd be interested to see that statistical analysis.

Reaction Score
I'd be interested to see that statistical analysis.
You need a statistical analysis to see that making the NCAA tournament once in four Seasons isn't good enough? A program of UConn's caliber should make the NCAA tournament more often than not, especially immediately following a national championship.

Reaction Score
You need a statistical analysis to see that making the NCAA tournament once in four Seasons isn't good enough? A program of UConn's caliber should make the NCAA tournament more often than not, especially immediately following a national championship.

Statistical analysis showing that the results of the past four seasons are a big enough sample to reliably say that things will not work (make the tournament?) going forward.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01