Give Kevin a Chance | The Boneyard

Give Kevin a Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have been a UCONN Men’s season ticket holder for 33 years and Woman’s 24 years, I looked up at the banners last night 15 and realized how spoiled we are as UCONN fans. We are not entitled to championships or NCAA tournament selections. We should be ashamed of how we are treating Kevin, he who played for us and coached us to a NC in 2014. It wasn’t just a few years ago that we were worried sick that Kevin would leave for the NBA. In his short coaching tenure Kevin has replaced a HOF coach, cleaned up the fall out of a academic progress probation and still won a NC. He deserves a chance to turn this around with his new coaching staff. Kevin has 3 years left on his contract, give him a chance to succeed, get off his back, he deserves our support.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
No. How many losing seasons and 20+ point drubbings can we absorb before we're USF? This is precisely the argument against hiring former players.

He has my gratitude but his time is past due. This is his sixth and hopefully final season.

Reaction Score
I have been a UCONN Men’s season ticket holder for 33 years and Woman’s 24 years, I looked up at the banners last night 15 and realized how spoiled we are as UCONN fans. We are not entitled to championships or NCAA tournament selections. We should be ashamed of how we are treating Kevin, he who played for us and coached us to a NC in 2014. It wasn’t just a few years ago that we were worried sick that Kevin would leave for the NBA. In his short coaching tenure Kevin has replaced a HOF coach, cleaned up the fall out of a academic progress probation and still won a NC. He deserves a chance to turn this around with his new coaching staff. Kevin has 3 years left on his contract, give him a chance to succeed, get off his back, he deserves our support.

How many more losing seasons do we give him?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
C331D37E-45F7-42E2-B632-10333B0CD0F1.gif

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Family season ticket holder since 1965 as well as football and Friend of Soccer
I hear your pain Big Jim but the more I sit and think about it as well as speaking with others close to the programs, my take on this is that I think KO was handed a position which he really had no hands on practice. It is even more difficult in replacing a legend like Coach Jim and these situations rarely work out for the new guy.
His recruitment strategy has been very very bad and I know he brought Chill on in hopes of a quick fix in recruitment but the league and quite frankly, the record of 2 recent seasons has hurt him more than I think he thought they would.
Yes he cleaned up the academic issue - kudos to him for that - something I think JC wasn't that much worried about in the scheme of things.
I feel on one hand he deserves another season to try and right the ship, yet, on the other, I am not sure he can really do so.
I do appreciate your attitude and lets hope all works for the best for our Huskies
Keep the faith

On a lighter side Jim - boy did you open a huge can of worms with this post - it's going to be fun because I know you have thick skin!!!!

Reaction Score
If KO wants our support, he walks away with a UConn friendly buyout. There is no shame in admitting you are in over your head. If he does that he will always be welcomed back a champion and 2014 is what we all will remember.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If KO wants our support, he walks away with a UConn friendly buyout. There is no shame in admitting you are in over your head. If he does that he will always be welcomed back a champion and 2014 is what we all will remember.
Easy when it's not my money or yours
When did you become the spoke person for all of us?
Even if KO doesn't walk away without a "UConn friendly" buyout, he will have my support because I know the man and he is an honorable person.

Reaction Score
I'm with you, but I'm not sure Kevin is. He seems defeated to me. The players too.

To be honest, I'd give KO all the time in the world. I love the Huskies, but they are not my life. I have other stuff to do. When they stink i simply pay attention less. So I'd give him all the time he wants. Especially if he isnt cheating. Which remains to be determined.

But like i said, KO and the team seem defeated. KO may actually want out. We'll see I guess.

Reaction Score
Easy when it's not my money or yours
When did you become the spoke person for all of us?
Even if KO doesn't walk away without a "UConn friendly" buyout, he will have my support because I know the man and he is an honorable person.
Good for you. I am not speaking for everyone, I am speaking for the 5000 fans that don't even bother showing up at Gampel anymore. He lost this program, he weakened the brand, and the way he has conducted himself the past few years is far from honorable. Think what you want, but clearly you are to close to the fire to be objective. it doesn't have to be my money to know what's right. He was overcompensated for his efforts and the buyout will still reward him. The best way to cement his legacy is to put UConn first on his way out. The reward will outweigh the few mil he leaves on the table, the same few mil he will earn as an assistant in the NBA over time.

Reaction Score
Couldn’t have said it better.

Reaction Score
With the budget issues, unfortunately, I think you may get your wish...

I don’t think so. If we had a tough season but a winning record and were losing close games instead of getting blown out, then I think KO could be back, but it’s gotten to a point where he has to be taken out of his misery regardless of the negative public and political outcry coming because of the large buyout.

Reaction Score
People need to accept this and try there best to support him. He’s still our coach, UConn alumni hate seeing him being treated the way he has been. He hates losing just as much as we do. It’s been tough but the fans don’t help. At the end of the day complaining and negativity gets us no where, if we want this program to get back on track the fans need to step up.

Reaction Score
People need to accept this and try there best to support him. He’s still our coach, UConn alumni hate seeing him being treated the way he has been. He hates losing just as much as we do. It’s been tough but the fans don’t help. At the end of the day complaining and negativity gets us no where, if we want this program to get back on track the fans need to step up.
So tell us your story as it relates to UConn basketball. Tell us about your vested interest. What donor level ect ect...?

Thanks!

main-qimg-b44083217dfcbe12a5a904a098451f53

Reaction Score
You mean to tell me this whole time, we've actually been the ones holding the program back back?!? Good god man, why didn't you let us know sooner?
Never said we are holding it back?? We aren’t helping because moving forward Kevin will Be coach.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You mean to tell me this whole time, we've actually been the ones holding the program back back?!? Good god man, why didn't you let us know sooner?

That’s funny, because your side of the aisle has been pretty consistent in excoriating people who weren’t calling for a change as loudly as you were for holding the program back. “Low fan expectations are resulting in poor performance” is multiple posters’ entire shticks.

Why dish it out if you can’t take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak