Give Kevin a Chance | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Give Kevin a Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't think they'll care. He doesn't have to worry about recruiting or keeping an eye on the kids. It's just basketball at that level and his responsibilities will be a fraction of what they are as a college head coach.

He proved he can handle playing in the NBA and that day-to-day life, he should be fine as an assistant.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If I love what I do, I can put food on my table, and a roof over my head, yes I would take a pay cut to prove myself. 100% no questions asked.

Not when there's recruiting involved. Coach taking a pay cut is a dead man walking. He'd get destroyed on the recruiting trail. No one would risk coming to play for him.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He proved he can handle playing in the NBA and that day-to-day life, he should be fine as an assistant.

He doesn’t seem like the same guy as he was pre-2014.

UconnAngel

Feed the orphans
Reaction Score
I have read a lot of great comments and penetrating analyses on the issue, actually. Honestly, I cannot add any more to the well-thought out pile that would be considered novel by any means. But the wisest opinion I can identify with is that of retaining KO for yet another year because that is the least risky move of all. His departure will decimate the program of good players for several years. Ohio State is an outlier which we cannot certainly duplicate because it is, well, an outlier. The team - if Sid, Akinjo, Matthews , and Kasunas will all come and the majority of the players (including Adams and Gilbert) remain, it can be a very good team. We hung with MSU and Arizona for quite a bit with and/or minus Gilbert - evidence that with more experienced players, the team can go over the hump and do well. Let us give KO another year. It's the least riskiest move, guys.

Even the great Calhoun placed 9th in 2011, am I right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He doesn’t seem like the same guy as he was pre-2014.

Is he doing a poor job because he's not the same guy? Or is he not the same guy because he knows he's doing a poor job?

My money is on the latter.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Is he doing a poor job because he's not the same guy? Or is he not the same guy because he knows he's doing a poor job?

My money is on the latter.

There have been documented changes in his attitude, comportment, and work ethic between now and then.

Those changes didn’t happen because he just stopped performing as well all of a sudden. They are a cause, not an effect, of poor performance.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
The post was perfectly clear. The respondent either is not capable of comprehending it (not my problem), or - judging by his use of hyperbole and strawman arguments - chose to act like an emotional, immature child.

I don’t know what would cause you to chastise others for “shaming behaviors” when that phrase sums up everything you’ve uttered to me over the course of your latest mini-obsession with me.
I wonder if you might have a point.

Reaction Score
The above is a steaming pile of merde. Almost no one feels like that. Any feelings of celebration will not be "because [we] were right'", they will come from the fact that if KO leaves, we will have some hope. I can only speak for myself when I say I was hoping that season would prove me wrong. Everyone was saying that a program turnaround led by Ollie would have been the best thing that could have happened. I take no pleasure in being right about KO, I would much rather be taking my traditional seat on selection Sunday. And throughout this season on the Yard the frustration for me didn't come from Ollie, he is what he is, it came from the misguided folks here peeing on our legs and telling us it's raining. Anyone else remember the justification given for that bad game against horrible Columbia? "They are a pretty good team, they only lost to Colgate by 7." That nonsense went on all year. It still goes on in this thread.

You're hilarious. Speaking of a steamy pile of crap thats every post from you, nothing of substance ever! Awful fan from what I've read over the last 2 years - someone who wants everyone to know he still went to the games but hates KO - you're pititful!

Reaction Score
I was most excited about having a UConn guy that would build the brand - and happily stay in Storrs. And when he dissected those teams in '14...exploiting their weaknesses, changing defenses, throwing over the 1-3-1 to DeAndre. It was a work of art - well, maybe St Joe's was a bit lucky. Maybe it wasn't all him - I don't know the influences, the film study and strategy of Hobbs and Miller. But after that year - whether it was reaching the pinnacle and losing motivation or the divorce...whatever, the hunger wasn't there anymore. And I'm bummed.

Couldn't agree more. We were all hoping we had the guy we needed for the next 25 years.

Reaction Score
There have been documented changes in his attitude, comportment, and work ethic between now and then.

Those changes didn’t happen because he just stopped performing as well all of a sudden. They are a cause, not an effect, of poor performance.

The truth is probably a blend of cause and effect. I was a season ticket holder at Gampel through the 2014-15 season. His first few years as Head Coach, KO had a swagger when he walked out onto the court. That swagger and confidence is nowhere to be found now. The first couple of years there were outward signs of joy, now all I see is a guy who looks defeated.

I wish I knew the whole story including all the behind the scenes stuff. I bet it would be very interesting. I don't say that in an attempt to feed the rumor mill, I just think the whole story would probably help explain how things went from the success of 2014 to where the program is today.

Reaction Score
You're hilarious. Speaking of a steamy pile of crap thats every post from you, nothing of substance ever! Awful fan from what I've read over the last 2 years - someone who wants everyone to know he still went to the games but hates KO - you're pititful!

Why do you feel compelled to constantly insult other posters? It's one thing to disagree, but there really isn't any need to insult a bunch of people who have a different opinion than yours.

Reaction Score
I don't think they'll care. He doesn't have to worry about recruiting or keeping an eye on the kids. It's just basketball at that level and his responsibilities will be a fraction of what they are as a college head coach.

Maybe and I think his NBA cred is likely at least still mediocre with some friends that maybe could pull strings for him. But (speaking of friends, KD) Steve Kerr is not hiring Ollie at GState. There definitely could be some Al Skinner similarities here in terms of rationale if let go and the laziness tag is very difficult to shed.

Reaction Score
Why do you feel compelled to constantly insult other posters? It's one thing to disagree, but there really isn't any need to insult a bunch of people who have a different opinion than yours.

Why do you feel compelled to spew the same crap about someone day in day out for over a year now? It's sickening bass. You were right, there! Leave it be now let it play out now we all know he's on his way out.

You're correct I flew off the handle and you didn't deserve that but it really is annoying. My apologies you are probably a great guy, just not over the past few months from my pint of view, at least here.

Reaction Score
Why do I torture myself. Those of us who would like to see him one more year(just in case)ain't changing our minds. Those with the opposing view are also unlikely to be swayed. At the end of the day, Pay the man 10 million and send him away...or let's see if the program can be righted. Investigation truly means nothing at this point....who really knows where this will end up?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I have read a lot of great comments and penetrating analyses on the issue, actually. Honestly, I cannot add any more to the well-thought out pile that would be considered novel by any means. But the wisest opinion I can identify with is that of retaining KO for yet another year because that is the least risky move of all. His departure will decimate the program of good players for several years. Ohio State is an outlier which we cannot certainly duplicate because it is, well, an outlier. The team - if Sid, Akinjo, Matthews , and Kasunas will all come and the majority of the players (including Adams and Gilbert) remain, it can be a very good team. We hung with MSU and Arizona for quite a bit with and/or minus Gilbert - evidence that with more experienced players, the team can go over the hump and do well. Let us give KO another year. It's the least riskiest move, guys.

There isn't one player I'd be so concerned about losing to keep KO on another year.

Reaction Score
Why do you feel compelled to spew the same crap about someone day in day out for over a year now? It's sickening bass. You were right, there! Leave it be now let it play out now we all know he's on his way out.

You're correct I flew off the handle and you didn't deserve that but it really is annoying. My apologies you are probably a great guy, just not over the past few months from my pint of view, at least here.

In my opinion, different views on Kevin Ollie including his effectiveness, capabilities and competency have been the biggest point of contention in the history of the Boneyard. I agree with you that the KO era is essentially over.

My hope is that a very good new coach will guide the program back to playing the UConn basketball we grew accustomed to. I miss the excitement of having a dog in the hunt in March. I'm sure you do too.

Reaction Score
In my opinion, different views on Kevin Ollie including his effectiveness, capabilities and competency have been the biggest point of contention in the history of the Boneyard. I agree with you that the KO era is essentially over.

My hope is that a very good new coach will guide the program back to playing the UConn basketball we grew accustomed to. I miss the excitement of having a dog in the hunt in March. I'm sure you do too.

Only thing I can say if the rumors are true that the lifestyle changed and the recruiting efforts became stagnant, then at that point he was no longer the guy they had the 1st 2 years. I will admit the guy they had the first 2-3 years had passion and could get kids to play hard. After that he changed and so did his impact on the kids, especially the one's he brought in. That's on him because I think we all knew he still had a lot to learn about "coaching" even after the first 2 years but the baseline was there to be very good eventually as long as he didn't rest on his laurels. Well he seemed to have done just that, fell behind too far to make up that ground and now it's too late.

Reaction Score
KO has been unable to recruit enough high quality players and BBIQ in to the program. KO has been unable to recruit enough quality shooters into the program. Forget about class rankings and the star system. We have 1 big injury this year but what we trot out onto the floor nightly has been a disgrace.

Reaction Score
And that's why my son has about 30 participation trophies from soccer. We need little Timmy to feel good about himself despite a 3-8 record.
That poor coach.

Reaction Score
KO has been unable to recruit enough high quality players and BBIQ in to the program. KO has been unable to recruit enough quality shooters into the program. Forget about class rankings and the star system. We have 1 big injury this year but what we trot out onto the floor nightly has been a disgrace.
He continually ignored certain types of players, hence the lack of BB IQ and shooting ability. A great team needs a mixture of different skills, namely ballhandling, shooting, rebounding, toughness. KO's positionless ideal resulted in a team lacking in ballhandling, shooting, rebounding, while making guys unclear about their roles and a poor team result.

Reaction Score

Least risky in what sense? In the sense that we know exactly what we can expect going into next year - probable roster turnover, a mediocre recruiting class, and a lot of question marks - then yes, he's the least risky choice. Arguing that we should keep someone we're paying $3m a year who is about to put up back to back losing seasons in ugly fashion just because doing otherwise introduces uncertainty into the equation seems completely ludicrous to me.

How do people not understand the concept of taking one step back to move the program forward? Big picture, we can suck it up and replace KO and potentially lose some players in the short term, or we can keep going with KO as coach and get exactly what he's shown us since we last won the title.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
The best part of this thread is that whenever an anti-Ollie post is made and the thread gets bumped, the first thing that is seen on the home page is "Give Kevin A Chance". Great way to spread a subliminal message if you are pro-KO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom