Girls McDonald's Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Girls McDonald's Game

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She is #44 on the East Squad. ESPN just showed her in a split screen, sitting on the bench, applauding her teammates. She did not play at all in the 3rd qtr. She’s on the court to start the 4th.
Aubrey was the first sub in the game top of the screen screen.
Aubrey .jpg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I watched the first 37 minutes fairly closely and took some notes. I gave players a "+" for a nice play, good pass, made 3-pointer, etc. I gave them a "-" for a turnover, airball, brick, missed layup, etc.

My primary observation: I believe that Geno thought the 2020 and 2021 classes are stronger than 2019. I would agree. I didn't see any Maya Moores or even Napheesa Colliers on the floor. Some player observations:

Griffin: Looked thinner than I thought in person. Moved without the ball better than anyone. Played only 13 minutes. 3-3 on FTs. Is long, quick, and fast. May need to be more aggressive and stronger. She brings all the tools Geno would want. I see her as a starter next year, our 5th best player--unless Geno picks up a foreigner or transfer for 2019. She broke up an alley-oop to Belibi.

Horston: Took over the game in Q3, shot the ball well, and looked like the best player out there. Very athletic and fairly long.

Jones: A little slower than I thought. Is versatile and should be a good rebounder. Shot FTs well, but not FGs. Played within herself and looked smart.

R. Jackson: Athletic and made some nice hoops, but also shot some bricks. Lots of potential. Exciting.

Boston: Made a few hoops and grabbed boards, but didn't dominate. Belibi blocked her at least once.

Taylor: Made several smart and energetic plays, but was a little out of control at times. Overall, I liked her, even though she was scoreless.

Belibi: Good vertical and long arms, combined with big hands. Handled the ball on the break. Still raw, having taken up the game 4 years ago. Missed several shots in close. Probably can defend the post with her physicality and length.

Brunelle: Hit from 25' and 10'. Won the 3-point contest. May be an elite shooter. The comments about her being a little awkward and not quick or fast seem accurate.

Miller: Shot poorly, but rebounded well. Long and very fast.

Peoples: Played under control, shot well, and looked solid. I wanted her a while ago and still do.

Puisis: Looked like the best distance shooter on the floor. Possibly underrated. I'd take her.

Cooke: What we saw with USA Basketball--exciting, very quick, and a bit out of control. If she harnesses it, she'll be really good. Didn't shoot great, but had a game-high 4 assists.

Beal: Did some good things. I swear she was 4-5 on FTs not 2-5.

Brown-Turner: I saw her play in D.C. She's athletic and physical. Maybe a little raw.

Bell: Don't recall much but did note a positive play.

I don't recall anyone else doing much remarkable, either good or bad.

It's hard to get much out of all-star games. Overall, I thought the star power was limited. But there were some very athletic kids on the floor, including but not limited to: Griffin, Belibi, Cooke, Miller, Horston, Jackson, and Taylor.

If I could pick a handful of players for UConn, based only on today's game and not additional knowledge, I'd take Horston, probably Puisis, Peoples/Cooke, and Jones/Griffin.

Let's get Bueckers, Gusters, and 1-2 more players from 2020.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They just did some talking about Aubrey. Talked about how she broke some NY high school scoring record previously held by Stewie. Weisbrod said, "She just has the look of an All-American."
Aubrey scored 77 in the 2 Federation games. Stewie had 68 or so.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Rikea Jackson?, the point guard going to ND, Sam Brunnelle, and the kid who made a bunch of 3's, all looked like they had skills. Really difficult to make any projection of their success in college from this game.
PG is Anaya Peoples.

Sam made shots but did look a little slow.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Puisis: Looked like the best distance shooter on the floor. Possibly underrated. I'd take her.
Funny you should say that. the 2019 Recruiting Thread, started by @Charliebball more than two years ago started with a post about Sammie Pusuis. We were ready to sign her up for UCONN then so I'm glad to see that someone would still take her. Florida State is getting a couple good ones in her and Baldwin who also visited UCONN two years ago.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Funny you should say that. the 2019 Recruiting Thread, started by @Charliebball more than two years ago started with a post about Sammie Pusuis. We were ready to sign her up for UCONN then so I'm glad to see that someone would still take her. Florida State is getting a couple good ones in her and Baldwin who also visited UCONN two years ago.
Baldwin is a big girl. She should do well.

Was Geno looking at Puisis? If so, what happened?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Baldwin is a big girl. She should do well.
Was Geno looking at Puisis? If so, what happened?
I'm not certain Geno was looking. When she first came on the scene there was an article that stated that both ND and UCONN had "major" interest in Sammie. Things just kind of fizzled after that seemingly for both UCONN and ND. @Dillon77 thoughts?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With the right coaching Jordan Horston is going to be a 4 year PROBLEM for WCBB. She can dominate the game with sheer athleticism defensively and in transition. She can dominate the game as the primary ball handler (PG) & passer -pick and roll, pick and pop floater.... She can dominate the game playing off the ball because you have to honor every cut she makes to the basket and it is impossible to keep her off the offensive board. She took over the game tonight and didn't even break a sweat doing it. She has a flair to her game that going to keep fans on the edge of their seats.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
With the right coaching Jordan Horston is going to be a 4 year PROBLEM for WCBB. She can dominate the game with sheer athleticism defensively and in transition. She can dominate the game as the primary ball handler (PG) & passer -pick and roll, pick and pop floater.... She can dominate the game playing off the ball because you have to honor every cut she makes to the basket and it is impossible to keep her off the offensive board. She took over the game tonight and didn't even break a sweat doing it. She has a flair to her game that going to keep fans on the edge of their seats.
Jeff Walz is dying to coach her. ;)

I agree with your assessment--Horston will be a load.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I'm not certain Geno was looking. When she first came on the scene there was an article that stated that both ND and UCONN had "major" interest in Sammie. Things just kind of fizzled after that seemingly for both UCONN and ND. @Dillon77 thoughts?

I don't remember anything specific re Puisis and her recruitment. She verballed to FSU in September of '17, so about 14 months before the early signing period.

I just looked up an article on her commitment. ND and UConn are said to have had interest but are not listed among her offers. It seems like maybe she wanted to commit early and she wasn't willing to wait and see if she would get an ND or UConn offer?

At any rate, she shot very well both in this game and in the 3-point contest. Seems like a very good get for Semrau. Florida State was really young this year. They bring everybody back and add these two. Future is looking good for the Seminoles.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Athleticism reminds me of Diamond DeShields. USAB says she is 6-0, but she almost looks taller. Put her on a college strength training program...gonna be very hard to stop.

There are a lot of players who can supposedly play every position 1-4, but Horston can really do it well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The game was pretty much what I thought from an All Star game. But I’m happy with what we got and they all certainly fill the needs that SC have going into next year.

They all can defend and that’s what I was looking for. Boston will be the Center we need with her size and rebounding. Beal is a versatile-do it all- two way forward that we’ve been missing. I can envision her defending players like Chelsea Dungee or Rhyne Howard and giving them fits. Zia was a little out of control but made some good plays and played hard. Interested to see how Amihere and Thompson looks with this group but the future certainly looks bright.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
"I love Tennessee, and I love Holly," she (Horston) said. "I guess I'll have to sleep on this whole situation. I really don't want to talk about it."

This is not a good look by ESPN. If I were her parents I would be very annoyed.

I really just feel bad for the girl. She made her college choice and then her world gets turned upside down.

Reaction Score
"I love Tennessee, and I love Holly," she (Horston) said. "I guess I'll have to sleep on this whole situation. I really don't want to talk about it."

This is not a good look by ESPN. If I were her parents I would be very annoyed.
If they followed basketball at all they had to have known that Holly would be gone soon enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom