Gillespie push-offs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gillespie push-offs

Reaction Score
I thought that too but I hate that style of play. Slow down, pivot until you get the player to leave his feet the jump into him and draw a foul. I guess that is “a skill” but I hope we have players that don’t need to use that as their only skill.
So you hate winning basketball?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
cuz this (picture) is a defensive foul. not.
Villanova rallies to beat UConn in Big East matchup – The Athletic
in my playing experience, if not me, then another team mate, after seeing this garbage for a period or more, we just get a running start, fake trip, then knock his back to grammar school, foul, flagrant, etc, be dammed. park city style.
tumblr_inline_n9n8zteCjb1rzyakt.gif

is she from bassick, harding, or central?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
if the refs aren't going to call the forearm push offs, don't call it either when he does it to create space and dives into our player for a foul. Not one 3 second call for his 10 second backdowns, not one forearm call. I don't hate him for doing it, I hate the refs for allowing it to happen. And how many times were we going to let the hard hedge happen on pick and rolls, where Edwards winds up in the post against our shortest player?

Reaction Score
in my playing experience, if not me, then another team mate, after seeing this garbage for a period or more, we just get a running start, fake trip, then knock his back to grammar school, foul, flagrant, etc, be dammed. park city style.

Love the question under the short vid! SPOT ON!

Any access to the article w/o having to subscribe?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Love the question under the short vid! SPOT ON!

Any access to the article w/o having to subscribe?
'Any access to the article w/o having to subscribe?'
i have no idea. mebbe someone else here can help.
the picture is the story for me. and them.

Reaction Score
Since yesterday I have been keeping my eyes open to the calls or non calls for similar Gillespie backdown bumping in other games, and whether refs are calling it or letting it go. So far, in a handful of observations, it seems like a player's size is the determining factor. Dickinson just got called offensive for a similar bump even with his defender inside the circle. His bump was firm to gain advantage, but not displacing, same as Gillespie. I admit I am biased to the defense, just like I believe in verticality and that an offensive player shouldn't get a call when they jump into a defender and create the contact. Maybe a no call for a bump, but in my very important opinion, it should be a definite foul when you go into a guy's chest 3-4x to gain advantage.

Reaction Score
"Gillespie Exception"

And, btw, he didn't push off with his hands every time. Three times he lowered one shoulder, head-butted the defender's chest, and then either backed-off for a fade away or went under.

Credit him for this: he doesn't trip people, like Grayson Allen did.

I don't necessarily disagree with most of the content in this thread that is about matters other than what's in the thread title, and he does have a complete arsenal of effective moves, but I'm sure those are being discussed elsewhere.

Nova's bench is thin, but we failed in not getting Samuels and/or Moore to foul out, in addition to Gillespie's 'allowances.'
I'm repeating myself from another thread, but I don' t understand why our man guarding him (Cole was one I remember down low near the basket) doesn't anticipate the second or third hard shoulder to the chest and step away.
Gillespot would lose his balance, fall down or travel. But nooooooooo, we just let him do it repeatedly.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Since yesterday I have been keeping my eyes open to the calls or non calls for similar Gillespie backdown bumping in other games, and whether refs are calling it or letting it go. So far, in a handful of observations, it seems like a player's size is the determining factor. Dickinson just got called offensive for a similar bump even with his defender inside the circle. His bump was firm to gain advantage, but not displacing, same as Gillespie. I admit I am biased to the defense, just like I believe in verticality and that an offensive player shouldn't get a call when they jump into a defender and create the contact. Maybe a no call for a bump, but in my very important opinion, it should be a definite foul when you go into a guy's chest 3-4x to gain advantage.
and iffn someone is regularly doing that knee to knee part in the pic, look closely, folks like me would just deck him, in full view of everrone. bounce me , fine me, sue me. who cares? i don't. call the lawyers, take some of my cash, again, who cares.
this is how we do it:

my kind of winner.
don't be a dirty player. eventually, someone will get fed up with ur act.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just for laughs I looked at 247's ratings for the class of 2017 and found further proof ratings can be highly suspect:
#168 Polley
#178 Carlton
#200 Colon Gillespot
#371 Myles Johnson of Rutgers
#414 Geo Baker of Rutgers
N/A Isaiah Whaley

Reaction Score
What would we have done that Sanogo or Whaley didn't do.
Maybe put the ball in the hoop and draw some “and ones”. Offensively speaking, Josh Carlton is the best and most experienced big guy on the team. How does Sanogo miss so many bunnies? That lob shot of his he has down and he rarely misses it if he doesn’t have to put the ball on the floor or if he tries to kiss anything off the backboard. Only guy I ever saw miss a 3 foot jumper by two feet is Isaiah Whaley.

Reaction Score
He’s very effective and hard to play against (and watch).

I thought Gilbert owned him last year and I know we don’t have an on-ball defender like that with this team. Our guys continued to bite on that pump fake.
It makes no sense to me when guys 6`8+ are getting pump faked by a guy barely sniffing 6`. It was absolutely infuriating.

Reaction Score
You almost have that with Santogo when, he just goes straight up for a thunderous dunk instead of backing off the rim with a dribble. Looks like he is afraid of getting blocked. Seems to be a good foul shooter and nice footwork. He will pay good dividends after some serious work with the coaches.

Reaction Score
You almost have that with Santogo when, he just goes straight up for a thunderous dunk instead of backing off the rim with a dribble. Looks like he is afraid of getting blocked. Seems to be a good foul shooter and nice footwork. He will pay good dividends after some serious work with the coaches.
I like Santogo, also think highly of Daffney, BJ Hole, and Nukenight.

Reaction Score
someone should send that picture from the Athletic to the refs from the game. And they call themselves professionals. Whaley got hit trying a low block shot midway through the second half, no call and they give Jackson his 5th on a lot less.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm repeating myself from another thread, but I don' t understand why our man guarding him (Cole was one I remember down low near the basket) doesn't anticipate the second or third hard shoulder to the chest and step away.
Gillespot would lose his balance, fall down or travel. But nooooooooo, we just let him do it repeatedly.
That’d be a foul on Cole

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
RJ flopped once in the second half when I think Thomas backed him down and got the O foul. RJ needs a little Kemba in him to get those calls

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
and iffn someone is regularly doing that knee to knee part in the pic, look closely, folks like me would just deck him, in full view of everrone. bounce me , fine me, sue me. who cares? i don't. call the lawyers, take some of my cash, again, who cares.
this is how we do it:

my kind of winner.
don't be a dirty player. eventually, someone will get fed up with ur act.

Thanks, that was even better than this one:

Reaction Score
On the second or third shoulder shove Kemba would have been laying in the second row laughing his arse off!
If Sanogo and Whaley were better actors, Gillespie could have had four fouls at halftime. I’m not clear on the rules but it seems illegal for a 6ft guard to dribble backwards from the top of the key and push the defender with his butt, shoulder, and elbow all the way to the basket.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom