Gillespie push-offs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gillespie push-offs

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It was also really neat how they let him stay in the game with blood all over his uniform. CDC be damned!
"Gillespie Exception"

And, btw, he didn't push off with his hands every time. Three times he lowered one shoulder, head-butted the defender's chest, and then either backed-off for a fade away or went under.

Credit him for this: he doesn't trip people, like Grayson Allen did.

I don't necessarily disagree with most of the content in this thread that is about matters other than what's in the thread title, and he does have a complete arsenal of effective moves, but I'm sure those are being discussed elsewhere.

Nova's bench is thin, but we failed in not getting Samuels and/or Moore to foul out, in addition to Gillespie's 'allowances.'

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
"Gillespie Exception"

And, btw, he didn't push off with his hands every time. Three times he lowered one shoulder, head-butted the defenders chest, and then either backed-off for a fade away or went under.

Credit him for this: he doesn't trip people, like Grayson Allen did.

I don't necessarily disagree with most of the content in this thread that it about matters other than what's in the thread title, and he does have a complete arsenal of effective moves, but I'm sure those are being discussed elsewhere.
Except for when he tripped Bouk...

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Except for when he tripped Bouk...
Good point, but I have that a partial pass because it wasn't Allen-like, and I was just happy to see a foul called, and allowed that it might have been accidental/incidental.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Question. Why don’t we have a guy who can play like that?
I've always wanted a 6'10" 250lb country boy that plays like that around the rim

Reaction Score
Gillespie got it done for Nova, that's really all there is to it. What is his line, like 18pts, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, two turnovers maybe, 36 minutes.? He is a crafty, tough guard, not flashy, that can shoot, and is solid with the ball. He's a big reason Nova is as good as they are the past 4 years. Hate'm all you want, and I do, but props to Gillespie for being hard to play against.

I hope we see Nova again in the tournament. We will be better, and we will want some payback.

Reaction Score
A good ref also stops it.

I don't blame the kid. If the refs allow it, it isn't his fault for taking advantage of the situation. He's playing tough and physical. It's not like he is eye gauging someone or tripping players like some former Duke scumbag.

Should they be fouls... yes. But the ref has to blow the whistle.

Reaction Score
The thing to do is file a compliant with the Conference and shine a big light on it.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
He definitely tripped Cole from behind, probably unintentional, but ended up with some woofing and minor pull apart.
Cole does a really good job of using his body to shield his defender off once he gets past him. He intentionally slows down and walls off the defender so they can't get back in the play (he's drawn multiple fouls like this). In this instance, the intentional slow down caused an unintentional trip. It's a good skill move.

Reaction Score
Gillespie got it done for Nova, that's really all there is to it. What is his line, like 18pts, 4 rebounds, 6 assists, two turnovers maybe, 36 minutes.? He is a crafty, tough guard, not flashy, that can shoot, and is solid with the ball. He's a big reason Nova is as good as they are the past 4 years. Hate'm all you want, and I do, but props to Gillespie for being hard to play against.

I hope we see Nova again in the tournament. We will be better, and we will want some payback.
Gillespie kept posting up and bodying our guards on offense. If the refs aren't going to call it-might as well keep doing it. Put Cole on the bench in first half with two fouls and had Gaff looking silly most of the game.

Smart enough to take what the refs were giving him. Senior leadership.

Reaction Score
What would we have done that Sanogo or Whaley didn't do.
Lets see some inside traps, not just rushing our bigs outside to trap. At least force Nova to beat us outside and perhaps they would but let switch up, not allow the push-offs one on one side. Why weren't we on the refs to call this more??? I know Hurley is gun shy after some early games but fair is fair. Would a 3/2 zone help on occasion instead of the exact same defensive posture?

Reaction Score
i was saying the same thing, and then I thought, I wish he was a Husky.
I thought that too but I hate that style of play. Slow down, pivot until you get the player to leave his feet the jump into him and draw a foul. I guess that is “a skill” but I hope we have players that don’t need to use that as their only skill.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Some people say Villanova “plays beautiful basketball” that doesn’t even look like basketball to me. It looks like USF’s style with better shooters

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom