Gillespie push-offs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gillespie push-offs

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'll take Gillespie and any his twin brothers on my team any day
His bumping is obviously above board because he's been doing it for 3 seasons and it is never being called. If he wore a UConn uniform there would be zero issue with it.
He's the type of determined hard nosed kid who plays with little fanfare, can shoot the J and is a stabilizing source that DH seems to have ignored to date.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'll take Gillespie and any his twin brothers on my team any day
His bumping is obviously above board because he's been doing it for 3 seasons and it is never being called. If he wore a UConn uniform there would be zero issue with it. he would foul out every game.
Fify

And that’s the point: it’s so obvious that the announcer stated it as fact, because it is, and it went unchallenged.

He is pushing off, charging, whatever you want to call it, but it’s usually an offensive foul. This guy got the defense called for it.

I’m not blaming him; they let him do it.

I‘d like to think our coach would say something about it to one of the officials after maybe a dozen times or so, but I guess not.

Reaction Score
Fify

And that’s the point: it’s so obvious that the announcer stated it as fact, because it is, and it went unchallenged.

He is pushing off, charging, whatever you want to call it, but it’s usually an offensive foul. This guy got the defense called for it.

I‘d like to think our coach would say something about it to one of the officials after maybe a dozen times or so, but I guess not.
It depends on the referee crew. UConn was just unlucky in that respect yesterday. Fact is Gillespie has been whistled for a foul 235 times and still counting in his 4 years at Villanova. Almost half to three quarters of his turnovers (had 60 last season) are offensive fouls btw. If Jay Wright wasn’t his coach he’d probably be in the 300’s. He’s fouled out or at least sat on the bench in foul trouble in many many games, depending on whose blowing the whistle. That being said, he is a terrific shooter and is smart. I wish we had him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He's a slow white guy that can't jump, so they let him play like that

It's only fair
Polley had 1 block while guarding him (that wasn’t in the box score). He was long enough to make up for his lack of speed.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I‘d like to think our coach would say something about it to one of the officials after maybe a dozen times or so, but I guess no.
FIFY

Reaction Score
Dribble push off too get closer dribble push off get closer fake a shot and jump into chest of defender. simple ploy to draw a foul. It has been his game for a long time.

Reaction Score
Dribble push off too get closer dribble push off get closer fake a shot and jump into chest of defender. simple ploy to draw a foul. It has been his game for a long time.

When you think about it Shaq made a career of doing the same thing in a much larger way. Shaq was a human charge as are most players now. How it’s allowed to move a defender who is square a couple feet back and solid is beyond me. It’s a charge period but basketball allows things now that are crazy. This as well as how the now allow the 2nd guy on FTs push the advantaged man under the basket now? Start blowing the whistle on these fouls again please.

Reaction Score
He does have a Christian Laetner air about him, doesn't he.
I kinda disagree, Laetner was a punk, Gillespie is more gangsta. He outright punked our guards, just bullying them without repercussion (refs or players). It was painful to watch.

I do respect that he didn't trash talk or add any demonstrative celebratory signs. He just kept on doing his thing in silent mode.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom