Gilbert | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gilbert

Reaction Score
Yup. Another good game from Ag. Dropped some dimes, ankle breaker or two, hit a three, no turnovers and good D as usual. He keeps this up.....

Reaction Score
We've gone through a lot of frustration with AG -- not so much growing pains as readjustment pains -- and now that the process is yielding results, I'd hate to see some other team reap the benefit. If a graduate transfer is on AG's list of options, he needs to be reassured that he'll see major minutes next year right where he is. We have no definitive proof that either Gaffney or Cole will be able to run this team from the point at a level to match the current AG. Want him back.

Reaction Score
If AG leaves, he needs to be replaced by a guard. I'm joining the group that thinks it's unlikely that we'd get a guard who would be better than him.

There will be plenty of playing time next year either way as we'll have 5 guards on the roster and a team that likes to play with 3 or 4 guards, and of the 5 the only one we know will demand over 30 minutes a game of playing time is Bouknight. He should see a path towards getting 20 minutes a game and contributing to an NCAA run. Hopefully that's enough.

Reaction Score
If AG leaves, he needs to be replaced by a guard. I'm joining the group that thinks it's unlikely that we'd get a guard who would be better than him.

There will be plenty of playing time next year either way as we'll have 5 guards on the roster and a team that likes to play with 3 or 4 guards, and of the 5 the only one we know will demand over 30 minutes a game of playing time is Bouknight. He should see a path towards getting 20 minutes a game and contributing to an NCAA run. Hopefully that's enough.

That kid Aiken would be a nice addition if healthy. He can flat out score the ball. But like Towns will be looked at by many high ranked programs.

Would love AG back though!

Reaction Score
That kid Aiken would be a nice addition if healthy. He can flat out score the ball. But like Towns will be looked at by many high ranked programs.

Would love AG back though!

Note I didn't say "impossible." I said "unlikely." I stick to that.

Reaction Score
We've gone through a lot of frustration with AG -- not so much growing pains as readjustment pains -- and now that the process is yielding results, I'd hate to see some other team reap the benefit. If a graduate transfer is on AG's list of options, he needs to be reassured that he'll see major minutes next year right where he is. We have no definitive proof that either Gaffney or Cole will be able to run this team from the point at a level to match the current AG. Want him back.

Please. Cole can run circles around AG. He has been doing it in practice all season. Wake up.

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Note I didn't say "impossible." I said "unlikely." I stick to that.
The bonus you get with AG over any other newcomer is that he knows the coach, the coach has high respect for him and he knows the system
Someone coming in could be better at some aspects physically but could also take time to develop/work into the system, and/or could be a personality conflict down the road

Reaction Score
Cole can run circles around AG. He has been doing it in practice all season. Wake up

are you at practice? This isn’t really common knowledge...

I’m a big fan of AG’s and would like to see him return.
If he wants to be a pro, he should move on and latch on with an Australian or Euro team.

If he wants to get into coaching, who better than experience program building than Hurley.

Reaction Score
The bonus you get with AG over any other newcomer is that he knows the coach, the coach has high respect for him and he knows the system
Someone coming in could be better at some aspects physically but could also take time to develop/work into the system, and/or could be a personality conflict down the road

The biggest reason I'd take AG back is defensively. It is quite a weapon to have to be able to come off the bench with an undersized point who can take the other team out of its offense. Even if you have better offensive players who you're starting.

Reaction Score

If he wants to be a pro, he should move on and latch on with an Australian or Euro team.

If he wants to get into coaching, who better than experience program building than Hurley.

As a sophomore, Cole was named MEAC Player of the Week on five occasions. He had a season-high 36 points in the regular-season finale versus Norfolk State. Cole led the MEAC in scoring with 21.4 points per game. He was named the MEAC Player of the Year and was an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American.

He has dazzled in practice, often as the best player on the floor. The kid can score and distribute. I don't think our fanbase realizes how good he is yet.

Reaction Score

I highly doubt he's running circles around AG but some just can't refrain from the negative on AG it's simple.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
As a sophomore, Cole was named MEAC Player of the Week on five occasions. He had a season-high 36 points in the regular-season finale versus Norfolk State. Cole led the MEAC in scoring with 21.4 points per game. He was named the MEAC Player of the Year and was an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American.

He has dazzled in practice, often as the best player on the floor. The kid can score and distribute. I don't think our fanbase realizes how good he is yet.

Maybe because we haven't seen him play with the UConn jersey yet ?

And we've already heard about ferrari's in the garage, Ajou Deng as the best player during the '99 team's practices , etc .....

Reaction Score

We need to be careful expecting the same or similar results against Big East competition.

Since the fanbase isn't at practice, I think you're right, we have no idea how good he is.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
What a luxury for UConn to have going into the post-season. An experienced back up (former starting) point guard playing his best ball of the season and the most complete ball of his college career. This has been a key to the win streak and should put us at a real advantage moving forward if Gaffney can resume his better play.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The older guards played really well, and Adams was an impact player as well. Bouk was off today, but still showed flashes of who he is. Still nobody I would rather have in a UConn uniform.

Btw, that block by Sid was insane, despite really being a goaltend. It's a play that will be talked about for decades, he was up that high.

Any conference win on the road is a good one. These guys have become a treat to watch. The most likeable UConn team since Bazz & Boat, IMO.
Without the (questionable) fouls Adams would have had a really good game.

Reaction Score
We need to be careful expecting the same or similar results against Big East competition.

Since the fanbase isn't at practice, I think you're right, we have no idea how good he is.

He was an honorable mention All American as a Sophomore. I realize the Big East is a much tougher conference, but the talent is there nonetheless.

Reaction Score
Maybe because we haven't seen him play with the UConn jersey yet ?

And we've already heard about ferrari's in the garage, Ajou Deng as the best player during the '99 team's practices , etc .....

Cole was an honorable mention All American as a Soph and has spent a season with Hurley in practice. He put up 28 points and 6 assists against Georgetown last season. That's vastly different than Ajou Deng or Purvis who hadn't done anything at the D1 level when the hype came out.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He was an honorable mention All American as a Sophomore. I realize the Big East is a much tougher conference, but the talent is there nonetheless.
It's a given DH would not have burned a scholarship for this season to a player in waiting unless he saw something. I'm optimistic about Cole. Hopefully he has the ability to handle the pressure of UConn bb.

Would love to get AG back for another season. We're finally seeing the talent the kid showed as a highly recruited player.

Does anyone know if Gilbert has protective gear for the shoulder? It would account for his shirt always coming out and might explain some of his shooting struggles.

Reaction Score
The best thing for UConn is for Bouk to not have a good game and we still win. Keeps him out of the news.

A Win-Win.

Reaction Score
We really play better small. I like Whaley out there with AG, CV, Bouk and Gaffney or Adams. Given that, I think having AG come back makes a lot of sense. CV will be gone, Cole will step in and we can at least maintain the same strategy.

Reaction Score
But no doubt he will be needed to beat the better teams in the conference.
No doubt, now is the time not just him, but for everyone to elevate their game. Its all next level here on out.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt he's running circles around AG but some just can't refrain from the negative on AG it's simple.

Yeah, I don't get that at all. Though younger than about all of us, AG should be considered a freaking role model for how he has been able to handle adversity.

I haven't heard much of anything about practice this season but I do know in the pre-season of AG's freshman year he was outplaying Jalen Adams and Ollie had AG on the first team in practice while Jalen was struggling somewhat....not that it matters, but this is just to say that AG has a very high talent level and I doubt anyone is killing him in practice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom