Gilbert | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gilbert

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't get that at all. Though younger than about all of us, AG should be considered a freaking role model for how he has been able to handle adversity.

I haven't heard much of anything about practice this season but I do know in the pre-season of AG's freshman year he was outplaying Jalen Adams and Ollie had AG on the first team in practice while Jalen was struggling somewhat....not that it matters, but this is just to say that AG has a very high talent level and I doubt anyone is killing him in practice.

You don't get it at all because you don't want to.

Cole was an honorable mention All American as a Soph. AG shot under 35% from the field and 67% from the free throw line this season.

It shouldn't be hard to see that one of them is a vastly better player.

Reaction Score

Cole was an honorable mention All American as a Soph. AG shot under 35% from the field and 67% from the free throw line this season.

U really think cole is “vastly” better than AG in all aspects of their game? Wow. Then I’ll expect cole to be first team all big East next year if that’s the case.

Reaction Score
U really think cole is “vastly” better than AG in all aspects of their game? Wow. Then I’ll expect cole to be first team all big East next year if that’s the case.

Would you rather have someone at point guard who shoots 82% or 67% from the free throw line at crunch time? Also, it won't be hard for Cole to be a big upgrade shooting wise as AG is under 35% for the season. Cole can be significantly better than AG has been without being first team all Big East.

Cole was a conference player of the year and an Honorable Mention All American last season. Hurley knows what he has in Cole, that's why he was willing to eat the scholarship this season while Cole had to sit.

I have no idea why any UConn fan wouldn't be real excited to have Cole join talent like Bouknight, Gaffney and Jackson next season. Gilbert is playing much better recently. Nonetheless, I do believe that Cole will be a significant upgrade at point guard next season, although I am excited to see what Gaffney can do as a Soph as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Depends on what he means by vastly better. Let’s dive into the numbers. I’ve posted these before but they’re a good reference point for Cole.

He played 11 games against P5/G5 competition (I included A-10 teams and Ivy League). His output is as followed in those games
20.3 PPG
6.3 assists/game
3 TOs/game
32% on 3s
35% on 2s
Nearly 8 free throws/game at 81%

Shooting percentages aren’t great but his usage rates in these games are really high. Probably due to lack of talent on his team and teams keying in on him all game. It’s hard to draw exact conclusions from these but I found the numbers interesting. It’s clear Cole can score the rock when needed, his free throw attempts are really high as well which is a good sign.

I took a look at AG over the past 11 games (since his role has changed) and his numbers are as followed:
24 minutes per game
7.7 points
2.3 assists
1.7 turnovers
Shooting about 38% overall and from 3.

what really jumps out is how AG is shooting so much better of late from 3, hes one of the best on the team now. It was fair to be critical of AG early in the season, I certainly was. His production/usage was hurting the team, but His new role has really changed the dynamic of the team and he’s settled into it nicely. If he came back and played a similar role again next season, he’s showing he can be a valuable player in that type of role.

Reaction Score
Does anyone else think Al may regain his starting role during this season?

Reaction Score
No slight against Gaffney, who did amazing stepping in, but Gaffney becomes a deer in headlights on the road. No telling how hesitant he may become in his first bout of post season play. That may factor into AG getting more time. Then again, AG is doing well off the bench, so DH may keep starting JG ceremoniously.

Reaction Score
Would you rather have someone at point guard who shoots 82% or 67% from the free throw line at crunch time? Also, it won't be hard for Cole to be a big upgrade shooting wise as AG is under 35% for the season. Cole can be significantly better than AG has been without being first team all Big East.

Cole was a conference player of the year and an Honorable Mention All American last season. Hurley knows what he has in Cole, that's why he was willing to eat the scholarship this season while Cole had to sit.
The Player of the Year from every conference is automatically an honorable mention for All-American. It doesn’t guarantee that player will be a succeed in a high major conference.

For example, Cane Broome was POY and an honorable mention All-American before he transferred to Cincinnati. At Cinci, he was the sixth man and did not average double figures in either of his subsequent seasons.

I’m really excited for Cole but I’m a little worried that the expectations are too high around here.

Reaction Score
The Player of the Year from every conference is automatically an honorable mention for All-American. It doesn’t guarantee that player will be a succeed in a high major conference.

For example, Cane Broome was POY and an honorable mention All-American before he transferred to Cincinnati. At Cinci, he was the sixth man and did not average double figures in either of his subsequent seasons.

I’m really excited for Cole but I’m a little worried that the expectations are too high around here.

I get the point you are trying to make, but I believe that Cole is a much better player than Cane Broome. Broome was more of an undersized shooting guard, never averaging over 3 assists in any season. Cole averaged over 6 assists and 22.5 points in his first two years of D1 competition. Any guy with over 1500 points and 415 assists in his first two seasons is a player.

I guess we will see next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a sophomore, Cole was named MEAC Player of the Week on five occasions. He had a season-high 36 points in the regular-season finale versus Norfolk State. Cole led the MEAC in scoring with 21.4 points per game. He was named the MEAC Player of the Year and was an Associated Press Honorable Mention All-American.

He has dazzled in practice, often as the best player on the floor. The kid can score and distribute. I don't think our fanbase realizes how good he is yet.
Have you looked at the AA honorable mention list? It’s a great honor but I don’t think it means what you think it means.

Reaction Score
I get the point you are trying to make, but I believe that Cole is a much better player than Cane Broome. I guess we will see next season.
I think so too! Cole is bigger, seems to be a better shooter, and is definitely a better distributor. Definitely gonna be a big contributor next year either way. There is room for improvement at point guard from this season, and CV's offense is going to need to be replaced.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure if AG should start again just because things are working on the W-L side of things. I’d support it. Gaffney looks better with AG out there with him and when AG sits, we rarely look very good.

Al is proving himself a very valuable player even when he doesn’t score much. The team is just better with him on the floor. Truthfully, most of what we are seeing is an indictment of Polley, Akok and Carlton. Carlton has struggled and has so so hands, Polley couldn’t create on his own and Akok was a non threat on offense. Vital and Gilbert are much better now because they have capable people to give the ball to and they don’t have to drive into the trees when they aren’t open. Before, most of those ugly drives where they got swallowed up were a symptom. There was no one to give the ball to that could do anything but shoot a wide open jumper or layup. When you play together all the time you start to realize what happens when you keep giving the ball to someone with no weapons. Then you just start ball hogging.

I’m prepared to erase the earlier part of the season from my mind and look at CV and AG only for what they are now that their teammates are helping them win games rather than watching them try to do it themselves. I would like Cole to come in, replace CV, see a jump in performance from Bouk and Gaff and keep Gilbert here with them. That’s a hell of a backcourt to go along with Adams and Jackson on the wings.

MrP

Reaction Score
Considering how effective the 3&4 guard lineups have been, I think it’s fair to view cole as a replacement for vital, rather than AG. Gaffney should be our starting PG. In that case, we will need AG in the same capacity we need him now. I hope he stays.

Reaction Score
Gonna be a lot of people from this thread eating crow after they see Cole playing for us next year. There's a reason Hurley recruited him to sit for a year when we were already down a scholarship

Reaction Score
I dont dispute that cole is going to be good, but some of u guys defending cole being “way” better than AG are forgetting one very valuable piece Gilbert brings to the table- defense. His on the ball defense is probably top 5 in the conference. And I still don’t think it’s automatic that Gaffney starts over Ag next year , IF Gilbert’s shot improves over the summer and he continues to get better and better (back to the old Ag) starting pg might be a battle this summer. Gaffney - although a freshman- still has a lot to work on (defense , jump shot, etc....) Just like a couple months ago when AG was playing poorly and Gaffney spelled him , it’s almost like it’s reversed now and when Gilbert is not in the game , things can get unraveled- on both sides of the ball. Overall, these are good problems to have- because our backcourt cud be nasty next year. Imagine a lineup of :
The old AG- but smarter and stronger
Cole
Bouk
Jackson
Whalley.
wow !!! Now that’s an exciting lineup

Reaction Score
Would love to have AG back. With the injuries (but not to the same extent), his career eerily reminds me of Ricky Moore who came in as a scorer and was regarded as the 2nd best player behind Shareef Abdur Rahim in the state. Ricky, with his injuries didn't pan out to the scorer he was projected to be. When it came down to crunch time though, he locked up his defensive assignments. We absolutely need this type of player on our team.

Reaction Score

First of all, I did not know that about the conference POY. So thanks to you I learned something today.

As for the expectations around Cole, it wouldn't be the Boneyard if people weren't saying that a practice player was the best player on the team and creating outsized expectations that will lead to that same player being savaged when he's actually eligible. It's what we do.

Reaction Score
If AG could just hit his FTs and limit the TOs he would make for a great 5th year player.

He struggles with those two aspects of his game making him a potential liability late in games.

As we have seen first hand this year, making the NCAAs comes down to just a few game and a few points.

Reaction Score

I'm excited about Cole and I think he will be really good. I doubt he is destroying Alterique in practice. Guys like Alterique...extremely quick, tough on ball defender, with excellent change of pace moves with the ball on offense and phenomenal conditioning are really hard to deal with in practice. Alterique's issues in games, especially earlier in the season were mostly mental.

Reaction Score
First of all, I did not know that about the conference POY. So thanks to you I learned something today.

As for the expectations around Cole, it wouldn't be the Boneyard if people weren't saying that a practice player was the best player on the team and creating outsized expectations that will lead to that same player being savaged when he's actually eligible. It's what we do.

Cole has already scored over 1500 points playing D1 competition and has dished out 415 assists. That's an enormous difference from guys who were said to be great practice players. This kid is a player. He put up 28 points and 6 assists against Georgetown last season and has had a full season of practice under Hurley. Hard to see him not being a real impact player next season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Cole may not be a superstar, but he will be very good. Either way, I like having 4+ good guards, especially one that is such a strong and disruptive defender, like AG.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Hurley will mess with it no matter how much AG outplays gaff. I think Gilbert playing well in that 6th man role off bench. Why mess with it

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Depends on what he means by vastly better. Let’s dive into the numbers. I’ve posted these before but they’re a good reference point for Cole.

He played 11 games against P5/G5 competition (I included A-10 teams and Ivy League). His output is as followed in those games
20.3 PPG
6.3 assists/game
3 TOs/game
32% on 3s
35% on 2s
Nearly 8 free throws/game at 81%

Shooting percentages aren’t great but his usage rates in these games are really high. Probably due to lack of talent on his team and teams keying in on him all game. It’s hard to draw exact conclusions from these but I found the numbers interesting. It’s clear Cole can score the rock when needed, his free throw attempts are really high as well which is a good sign.

I took a look at AG over the past 11 games (since his role has changed) and his numbers are as followed:
24 minutes per game
7.7 points
2.3 assists
1.7 turnovers
Shooting about 38% overall and from 3.

what really jumps out is how AG is shooting so much better of late from 3, hes one of the best on the team now. It was fair to be critical of AG early in the season, I certainly was. His production/usage was hurting the team, but His new role has really changed the dynamic of the team and he’s settled into it nicely. If he came back and played a similar role again next season, he’s showing he can be a valuable player in that type of role.
Nice write up. The only unknown for me is how much his improvement is based on his new role versus the new dynamic of the team.

Both AG and CV have improved their shooting percentages after the injury to Akok and the reduced playing time of Josh. Their ability to get to the basket successfully imo has more to do with their improvement than anything. It means they can be more selective when they take a 3pt shot. It means that their defenders can't defend as tightly because they have to respect their ability to drive. It means there are fewer times they are forced to take a shot at the end of clocks because they don't spend a good portion of the clock working on the pick and roll with Josh.

Then there is the development of Bouknight. Opposing teams have to put their best defenders on him as opposed to CV or AG. Neither AG or CV have to feel the team needs one of them to make a play because they have a reliable third option. That small change in pressure can not be under valued in players success rate. But it takes a while before players become comfortable that a new talent can contribute consistently. This forum expressed reservation frequently right up to the middle of the season how James should be reviewed.

Another factor has been Jalen's development. He certainly was overly cautious early in the season. His improved play allows Hurley to rest CV and AG reducing the fatigue factor.

I'd add one more thing. This is the first season in 3 or 4 years AG has not played in pain. It takes a while for anyone to put behind them the fear it won't happen again. It's typically on the mind of that individual. The members of this forum should understand that as well as anyone.

No matter how good Cole has been with his past performance or in practice it might take time for him to connect with the team mates in real game situations and/or reach the level he was prior to sitting out from competitive ball for a year. Senior laden teams with decent skills and athleticism frequently beat teams with superior young players because they have played together longer. If there is a interval of time Cole needs to get adjusted, I feel more comfortable having the version of AG we are now observing than anyone we could bring in or a still relatively young JG.

Reaction Score
Nice write up. The only unknown for me is how much his improvement is based on his new role versus the new dynamic of the team.

Both AG and CV have improved their shooting percentages after the injury to Akok and the reduced playing time of Josh. Their ability to get to the basket successfully imo has more to do with their improvement than anything. It means they can be more selective when they take a 3pt shot. It means that their defenders can't defend as tightly because they have to respect their ability to drive. It means there are fewer times they are forced to take a shot at the end of clocks because they don't spend a good portion of the clock working on the pick and roll with Josh.

Then there is the development of Bouknight. Opposing teams have to put their best defenders on him as opposed to CV or AG. Neither AG or CV have to feel the team needs one of them to make a play because they have a reliable third option. That small change in pressure can not be under valued in players success rate. But it takes a while before players become comfortable that a new talent can contribute consistently. This forum expressed reservation frequently right up to the middle of the season how James should be reviewed.

Another factor has been Jalen's development. He certainly was overly cautious early in the season. His improved play allows Hurley to rest CV and AG reducing the fatigue factor.

I'd add one more thing. This is the first season in 3 or 4 years AG has not played in pain. It takes a while for anyone to put behind them the fear it won't happen again. It's typically on the mind of that individual. The members of this forum should understand that as well as anyone.

No matter how good Cole has been with his past performance or in practice it might take time for him to connect with the team mates in real game situations and/or reach the level he was prior to sitting out from competitive ball for a year. Senior laden teams with decent skills and athleticism frequently beat teams with superior young players because they have played together longer. If there is a interval of time Cole needs to get adjusted, I feel more comfortable having the version of AG we are now observing than anyone we could bring in or a still relatively young JG.
Yeah I mean improvements across the board have really helped everyone, but especially CV and AG. Isiahs sudden rapid improvement helped open up the offense so much more. Earlier in conference play, UConn was in the 100s in kenpom offensive efficiency And now they’re 62. They made a huge jump in a relatively short period of time. Isiah providing steady play in the front court and JBs rise to being an efficient scorer really helped open everything up.

I feel good about Cole tho for next season, Hurleys really shown an eye for talent and the type of player he wants in his system. So he’s getting the benefit of the doubt from me for now. I’m expecting him to be a productive player. The AG were getting now would be helpful for next season as well, especially if he’ll continue to run out 4 guards. But if AG is not back, I think they’ll find someone else who can fill a similar role. There’s just a bit of uncertainty of what the final makeup of the roster will be. For now anyway.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah I mean improvements across the board have really helped everyone, but especially CV and AG. Isiahs sudden rapid improvement helped open up the offense so much more. Earlier in conference play, UConn was in the 100s in kenpom offensive efficiency And now they’re 62. They made a huge jump in a relatively short period of time. Isiah providing steady play in the front court and JBs rise to being an efficient scorer really helped open everything up.

I feel good about Cole tho for next season, Hurleys really shown an eye for talent and the type of player he wants in his system. So he’s getting the benefit of the doubt from me for now. I’m expecting him to be a productive player. The AG were getting now would be helpful for next season as well, especially if he’ll continue to run out 4 guards. But if AG is not back, I think they’ll find someone else who can fill a similar role. There’s just a bit of uncertainty of what the final makeup of the roster will be. For now anyway.
I'm cautiously excited about Cole. DH has demonstrated an eye for talent. However no one can anticipate ahead of time everything. No one knew at the end of last season JC would take a step back. Hurley certainly had to be surprised that the best option this season is four guards and Whaley. You can't always get that in practice. People in this forum complained early in the season regarding Hurley's playing different combinations. They wanted a set line up. That only realistically can happen if players, who've played well together over two seasons return for a third and no player takes a step backwards. Any new player or players introduced to a line up can significantly alter the dynamics of the team.

The uncertainty is not just in the makeup. But whether any new contributors can work well within Hurley's system and with the other players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom