Gilbert Nail Tough | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gilbert Nail Tough

Reaction Score
Gilbert is a warrior. His mentality reminds me a lot of Boatright, who I admittedly didn't appreciate as much as I should have while he was here.
Boat is my favorite Husky of all time. Nobody had more swagger than Boat outside of maybe KEA. Bazz and Boat dismantled serious backcourts. They weren't going to let losing be an option. I am really hoping Bouknight fits that mold. He has the mental approach to be special.

Last edited:

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game but I read the boxscore. He was 6 of 16 from the field. Not overly impressive.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
What's your take?

You didn't ask me but my take is that box scores can be misleading. You'd be better off withholding comment.

We were down 6 with about a minute to go and the kid hits too deep threes to tie it up. Cahones. Plus he made our offense run all night long. Al left everything on the floor tonight.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
You didn't ask me but my take is that box scores can be misleading. You'd be better off withholding comment.

We were down 6 with about a minute to go and the kid hits too deep threes to tie it up. Cahones. Plus he made our offense run all night long. Al left everything on the floor tonight.
(Withholding further comment)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What's your take?

I'd say it's tough to look at the FG% when Gilbert has to create everything himself and is forced to put up some bail out shots because nobody else is open.

The kid also came back from cramping to hit back to back 3s to tie the game.

Was it an all time game? No.

But did Gilbert show a lot of heart and hit some big time shots that a box score wouldn't show you? Yes.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
(Withholding further comment)

He was a warrior and broke down WSU guards at will to get space for jumpers or get to the lane.

More than once he got to the rim and the WSU defender blocked his shot. Those things will happen but he kept attacking.

At least twice in the second half he needed to be helped off the court with leg cramps yet drilled two 3 pointers in the last 90 seconds to tie the game.

He literally was playing defense on one leg and still squared up his defender.

Nuts were dropped and he left everything on the floor. Every player coming back next year knows what they saw tonight and it's good.

Reaction Score
I am not making any comment on the kid's play. But if you wonder why we lose, ask yourself, when was the last time you saw the key player for a team leave the game with cramps.

This is a simple example of bad hydration. It doesn't get more basic. Dehydration makes a kid more susceptible to fatigue, injury or cramps. Look at the play. He isn't hit. His leg fails on the way to the hoop.

This wasn't an accident. It was someone's fault. It could have been the player. It could have been the trainer. In any case this is the kind of thing that should not happen. Period.
It wasn't that he just cramped up out of the blue, he took a knee from Midtgaard to that thigh a couple plays previous (remember the first time he was writhing on the ground in pain but eventually popped up and made both free throws?), then soon after he made that drive, tried to elevate with that same leg and, as anyone who's played sports would know, had that leg seize up on account of the previous muscle hit. Had nothing to do with hydration. I guarantee there'll be talk of a thigh contusion for him tomorrow or whenever.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It wasn't that he just cramped up out of the blue, he took a knee from Midtgaard to that thigh a couple plays previous (remember the first time he was writhing on the ground in pain but eventually popped up and made both free throws?), then soon after he made that drive, tried to elevate with that same leg and, as anyone who's played sports would know, had that leg seize up on account of the previous muscle hit. Had nothing to do with hydration. I guarantee there'll be talk of a thigh contusion for him tomorrow or whenever.

Chief00 is on the recruiting grind.

Hope someone else can step up with injury updates.

Reaction Score
Very similar. Little guy with a big heart.
Biggest difference- Boatright had a lot more bounce, which made it easier for him to be crafty and avoid contact. Unfortunately Gilbert doesn't have that bounce, which causes him to get swallowed up in the lane and injured.
Which is weird as he was a premier dunker in all the high school all star games. Very legit verticality

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I agree, shame on me. Don't know what my problem was. Never disliked him per se, but got on him more than I should have. We definitely don't win in 2014 without him.

Boatright's biggest crime was being the main team leader just post 2014 NC. Not only was there the inevitable comedown from a championship high, but they lost basically all the main pieces to the title team. Have a look at this roster:

Player Class Pos​
Ryan Boatright SR G​
Rodney Purvis SO G​
Daniel Hamilton FR G​
Amida Brimah SO C​
Omar Calhoun JR G​
Kentan Facey SO F​
Terrence Samuel SO G​
Sam Cassell SO G​
Phillip Nolan JR F​
Rakim Lubin FR F​
Dan Guest JR G​
Terrance Ditimi SR F​
Nnamdi Amilo JR F​
Pat Lenehan SR G​
Absolutely brutal. People complained he didn't make people better. Given what we know about these guys and KO now.....Boat didn't get a fair shake at the end.

Reaction Score
I agree, shame on me. Don't know what my problem was. Never disliked him per se, but got on him more than I should have. We definitely don't win in 2014 without him.
My all time come get some team with Caron adrien Dyson toraino. However. His ankle injury started the spiral.

Reaction Score
Boatright's biggest crime was being the main team leader just post 2014 NC. Not only was there the inevitable comedown from a championship high, but they lost basically all the main pieces to the title team. Have a look at this roster:

Player Class Pos​
Ryan Boatright SR G​
Rodney Purvis SO G​
Daniel Hamilton FR G​
Amida Brimah SO C​
Omar Calhoun JR G​
Kentan Facey SO F​
Terrence Samuel SO G​
Sam Cassell SO G​
Phillip Nolan JR F​
Rakim Lubin FR F​
Dan Guest JR G​
Terrance Ditimi SR F​
Nnamdi Amilo JR F​
Pat Lenehan SR G​
Absolutely brutal. People complained he didn't make people better. Given what we know about these guys and KO now.....Boat didn't get a fair shake at the end.
Forgot about Omar and the career injury bug for another high recruit and all big east rookie. Smh. Maybe he brought that bug

Reaction Score
When is he last time you saw a player cramp up and have to come out of the game?

It was his fault or the trainer's. It should NEVER happen.

Sorry dudes. But that's a fact.

I says nothing about his game or his heart.

But it should NEVER, EVER happen.
All the time. Do you not watch sports?

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
When is he last time you saw a player cramp up and have to come out of the game?

It was his fault or the trainer's. It should NEVER happen.

Sorry dudes. But that's a fact.

I says nothing about his game or his heart.

But it should NEVER, EVER happen.

You either have never played basketball at any decent level or your just a complete fool if this post is serious.. oh sorry, I mean your post is a fool

Reaction Score
You either have never played basketball at any decent level or your just a complete fool if this post is serious.. oh sorry, I mean your post is a fool

Apparently you didn’t see the your/you’re posts....

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'm not much of a grammar guy until someone calls someone else an idiot and doesn't know the difference between your and you're. It kind of diminishes the claim. That was the point.

Ok grammar guy.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
1) Gilbert's performance was, dare I say, Bazz like. Oh, don't go boneyard on me, I'm not putting them in the same class just yet, but those long 3's at the end remind me of Bazz. Plus he's a leader on the court, he hustles, he defends the ball, Hurley said he's a leader off the court, he's small, so yes I see some Bazz in him

2) if you don't want to see silly drama in these threads, don't give the drama queens attention

Reaction Score
I also think boat was a good two inches taller than Al though. Plus, different positions in that boat played PG out of team necessity when Bazz left, but I felt he was always a natural two guard. Gilbert has a better handle imo.

Boat had a much better handle. I don't even think it's close

Curiouser
Reaction Score
“I’ve never experienced that before,” he said. “It was just like (from my) toe to the side of my hip. Gotta drink more water.”

“That’s what the leader of your program should look like at the end of the game, playing himself through exhaustion,” said Hurley. “That obviously gives us tremendous hope, because he’s the leader of this program, the face of what we’re trying to build here moving forward. He’s got that ‘it’ factor. We’ve just got to keep him healthy.”

Gilbert then went out and did his best Kemba/Shabazz impression.

“To develop a program as good as Wichita State’s has been, and Cincinnati and Villanova and Michigan State, (we’ve got to) recruit, develop, nurture 13 guys that have that type of heart,” Hurley continued. “I think we’ve got some guys in the program (like that). If we can get everyone in the program to follow his lead, in terms of how he goes about his business in the program, we’ll be in great shape in short order. These games, very quickly, next year will have a much different feel if we can get 12 guys like him.”

UConn men fall at Wichita State on last-second shot

Reaction Score
Boat had a much better handle. I don't even think it's close

To say it’s not close is crazy. The only thing of the 2 regarding handle which Boat was better at was finishing. They both get to where they want(ed) at will but AG gets too deep way too often gets shots blocked or altered. But they both handle the ball very well.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I didn't watch the game but I read the boxscore. He was 6 of 16 from the field. Not overly impressive.

You really should refrain from commenting on a game you didn't watch. In this case, it made you look nearly as stupid as @Palatine did with his utterly brainless contributions to this thread.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom