Gilbert Nail Tough | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gilbert Nail Tough

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
When is he last time you saw a player cramp up and have to come out of the game?

It was his fault or the trainer's. It should NEVER happen.

Sorry dudes. But that's a fact.

I says nothing about his game or his heart.

But it should NEVER, EVER happen.

Reaction Score
Luckily craftiness is something that can be learned. I think that AG's finishing around the rim will definitely improve in time.

Agree and that will come with when to and when not to. The floater should be the majority choice and when he needs to shoot it below his waist then don't. But he's crafty already as you say and smart, he'll figure it out.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When that shot went in, I couldn't even enjoy it in the moment. I felt like I was in a dream; you know how sometimes you know something is about to happen in a dream before it actually does? I had one of those moments. Yet, when the shot actually dropped I did an actual double take and couldn't believe it. Completely surreal.

Then, JTIII said "AND he got fouled!" and I thought for a few seconds that Gilbert was going to the line for a chance to take the lead. He really could have worded that better.

Reaction Score
When that shot went in, I couldn't even enjoy it in the moment. I felt like I was in a dream; you know how sometimes you know something is about to happen in a dream before it actually does? I had one of those moments. Yet, when the shot actually dropped I did an actual double take and couldn't believe it. Completely surreal.

Then, JTIII said "AND he got fouled!" and I thought for a few seconds that Gilbert was going to the line for a chance to take the lead. He really could have worded that better.
Yeah that was for sure a foul.

I won’t complain about the officiating last night though. At one point in the 2nd half I looked down and we had 5 team fouls while Whichita had 1. I swear no more than 2 possessions later the fouls were tied up at 5 a piece lol.

Reaction Score
Boatright's biggest crime was being the main team leader just post 2014 NC. Not only was there the inevitable comedown from a championship high, but they lost basically all the main pieces to the title team. Have a look at this roster:

Player Class Pos​
Ryan Boatright SR G​
Rodney Purvis SO G​
Daniel Hamilton FR G​
Amida Brimah SO C​
Omar Calhoun JR G​
Kentan Facey SO F​
Terrence Samuel SO G​
Sam Cassell SO G​
Phillip Nolan JR F​
Rakim Lubin FR F​
Dan Guest JR G​
Terrance Ditimi SR F​
Nnamdi Amilo JR F​
Pat Lenehan SR G​
Absolutely brutal. People complained he didn't make people better. Given what we know about these guys and KO now.....Boat didn't get a fair shake at the end.

This roster isn't that bad. 5 star D Ham, 5 star Purvis, 4 star Omar, 4 star Facey, and a few 3-stars that were instrumental in winning the Championships (Brimah and Samuel).

Reaction Score

The air conditioning went out in a Texas stadium in June. LeBron weighed almost 270. He didn’t get cramps from playing, he got them from extreme dehydration (and possibly some other...substances)
@Palatine is getting killed, but Rique said he has to drink more water himself. Unfortunately we don’t have a football program to necessitate a greater sports science program. Alabama’s is pro-level. Maybe Diaco can get us there!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Boat had a much better handle. I don't even think it's close
To say it’s not close is crazy. The only thing of the 2 regarding handle which Boat was better at was finishing. They both get to where they want(ed) at will but AG gets too deep way too often gets shots blocked or altered. But they both handle the ball very well.

Not for nothing, but we are talking about a kid who's been on the shelf for 2+ years, and is effectively a freshman experience-wise. Not only that, but he's less than 100%, and is playing with a pretty bad supporting cast.

I'll be interested to see what he looks like healthy (god willing), with some experience and a better supporting cast.

Also, the Boat we are talking about is not the Boat that showed up freshman year.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You really should refrain from commenting on a game you didn't watch. In this case, it made you look nearly as stupid as @Palatine did with his utterly brainless contributions to this thread.

You aren't wrong, but let's not go that far. I mean, "players should never have cramps" really is something else. It's not an exaggeration to say that is one of the all time bad takes on on the Yard.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
@Palatine is getting killed, but Rique said he has to drink more water himself. Unfortunately we don’t have a football program to necessitate a greater sports science program. Alabama’s is pro-level. Maybe Diaco can get us there!

And yet...

On that note, quarterback Tua Tagovailoa looked fine. It was reported by ESPN that Tagovailoa was suffering cramps in his calves during the first half of Alabama's 62-7 victory over Ole Miss on Saturday.

Alabama practice report: No major injuries slowing Tide

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
This roster isn't that bad. 5 star D Ham, 5 star Purvis, 4 star Omar, 4 star Facey, and a few 3-stars that were instrumental in winning the Championships (Brimah and Samuel).

Who cares about ratings? Scott Hazelton was an McD's AA. It don't matter.

The only thing that matters is what they did on the court. Were any of them starting on any of our above average (never mind good) teams? Maybe Dham. That's it.

AAC was criminally bad that year too.

That should tell you more about what those players actually were. Even against bad comp, they weren't good.

Reaction Score
Have you ever played a sport? Remember LBJ in Game 1 of the finals against the Spurs? It happens ..go to bed
as a matter of fact Pmac923 I played football, basketball, and baseball in high school. I was an all conference player in basketball and baseball in high school and nominated for all state in baseball. Oh... I played baseball in college. Sorry BY I am not intentionally trying to brag but it is obvious that Pmac's knowledge of playing a sport is Xbox or play station! I had several teammates who cramped up in basketball and football bc it is the nature of the sport and some players don't hydrate enough.

Reaction Score

The only thing that matters is what they did on the court. Were any of them starting on any of our above average (never mind good) teams? Maybe Dham. That's it.

That should tell you more about what those players actually were. Even against bad comp, they weren't good.
Eh, I'm probably in the minority, but that team was talented enough and should have finished the regular season with a better record than 17-13. They were good enough to beat Florida on the road (Florida finished 11-5 in their house with 3 losses to NCAA teams and 2 to NIT teams) and SMU/Cincinnati at home. They had the best player in AAC, Conference Defensive Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year. Lost five games by 3 points or less and another in OT by 4.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Eh, I'm probably in the minority, but that team was talented enough and should have finished the regular season with a better record than 17-13. They were good enough to beat Florida on the road (Florida finished 11-5 with 3 losses to NCAA teams and 2 to NIT teams) and SMU/Cincinnati at home.

I dunno you might not be in the minority. People think Boat didn't make people better. I know why they say that, and while there's some truth to it, I don't think that's really the whole story.

Maybe they underachieved a bit. But that's not a roster of great players. And importantly they were super young. Which I think is why you saw that inconsistency you mentioned. Only good upperclassmen were Boat and I suppose Purvis. Omar was a shell of himself.

Again, I look at is as: how many of these guys other than Boat start on a decent (not great) UCONN team? Probably none. Maybe Hamilton if there's a hole somewhere.

If you put Bazz on that team instead of Boat, you might get two or three more wins imo.

They had the best player in AAC, Conference Defensive Player of the Year and Rookie of the Year. Lost five games by 3 points or less and another in OT by 4.

Yes, they had Boat.

But as we've all found out, Amida Brimah was not a great player. He was DPOY, based on blocks alone. Didn't have much else. Especially on O.

Hamilton was a good college player, but 1) in 2015 he was a frosh and 2) he couldn't shoot. It's tough to be counted on to be the a fulcrum in that scenario.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Ratings kind of matter when you're trying to prove a point that a team was talented.

Reaction Score
as a matter of fact Pmac923 I played football, basketball, and baseball in high school. I was an all conference player in basketball and baseball in high school and nominated for all state in baseball. Oh... I played baseball in college. Sorry BY I am not intentionally trying to brag but it is obvious that Pmac's knowledge of playing a sport is Xbox or play station! I had several teammates who cramped up in basketball and football bc it is the nature of the sport and some players don't hydrate enough.

I was saying it happens in sports. Nobody cares about what you played. Good for you.

Reaction Score
Luckily craftiness is something that can be learned. I think that AG's finishing around the rim will definitely improve in time.

I don't think his finishing around the rim will improve due to his lack of height and vertical jump. He is not Boatright. Without other players up front to be a threat he is just swallowed up and stuffed. On D he will be a liability when good teams with taller guards back him down inside or pass over him. Al is our best player now but he is limited by his size and injuries and the rest of his career will depend on whether his teammates become enough of a threat to give him room to operate. He has the heart of a lion but he needs help.

Reaction Score
Totally agree here....we know this very well watching a wealth of undersized guards mastering the touch of the "just out of reach" shot. It really is the most exciting shot to watch in basketball, watching David humble Goliath.

Reaction Score
Totally agree here....we know this very well watching a wealth of undersized guards mastering the touch of the "just out of reach" shot. It really is the most exciting shot to watch in basketball, watching David humble Goliath.
He also just hasn't utilized a floater as much as you would expect such a small guy would, idk if it's not very good or if he doesn't think he can even get a floater over the post players but he really needs a consistent one as part of his toolkit (toolkit...craftiness...ill see myself out). It's the only way to keep big men honest when you're that small and not Kemba explosive. The few attempts I can remember in my head he didn't really have much touch with it, but he has touch in general so I think it's only a matter of time until it develops.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think most of our guards over-penetrated their first year or two. They have to play aggressive to figure it out. But that third year can be awesome.

edited to make sense.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom