Gilbert and Vital | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gilbert and Vital

Reaction Score
10 secs left and u take ya time up the court then fall on the ground .... goshdarn ... bouk you can’t foul at all there ... should have been switching everything at the top .... vital should’ve made that shot with all the collision and that Whaley 5 foul wasn’t a damn foul smh refs weren’t good ... Carlton was hacked across the head no call , but breathe on jones you’re fouled out ... dh must’ve gotten a notice from the NCAA cuz there’s no other reason why he wasn’t on the floor second half n ot

Reaction Score
Vital = nba mindset, g-league skillset
I honestly don’t think he’s good enough to make the G league. Jalen Adams is G league level and Vital doesn’t sniff Jalen Adams offensively and athletically

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Vital and Gilbert both got stuffed on the left side of the rim trying to finish with their right hand right at the defender. Seriously. Are these guys high level D1 guards, or hacks?

Reaction Score
Vital and Gilbert both got stuffed on the left side of the rim trying to finish with their right hand right at the defender. Seriously. Are these guys high level D1 guards, or hacks?
Yes

Reaction Score
Gilbert has to give up trying to drive to the rim & score. He just can't do it. Enough already. He can shoot FTs but can't make a layup to save his life. Just dish the ball off and keep hitting your FTs when they're there.

Reaction Score
My biggest problem with Gilbert is that he doesn't see the floor very well. I'm less bothered by his outside shot. I'm very bothered when he goes deep into the paint. But what worries me is that he doesn't see the floor very well.

Reaction Score
Who on the team can get past their man 1 on 1?

Gilbert and....

That's the problem

Reaction Score

Gilbert and....

That's the problem

Yes, but... what happens after you get past your man is important too.

And even more important is calling plays and executing them well.

Reaction Score
My biggest problem with Gilbert is that he doesn't see the floor very well. I'm less bothered by his outside shot. I'm very bothered when he goes deep into the paint. But what worries me is that he doesn't see the floor very well.
I actually think his vision is fine - his playmaking is what stood out early last season before he got hurt.

But he seems to have learned a little too much from Vital, and Hurley doesn’t hold either of them accountable for their shot selection.

Reaction Score
I know we need these 2 guys to win, but if DH sits CV and AG in the last 2 minutes of regulation and goes with Adams and Gaffney it’s likely we win that game. I’d also like to know the real reason Akok sat.

Reaction Score
I 10000% agree that AGs 5 straight drives to the hole in ot were maddening but he is easily 3rd on the totem pole to blame for last night. CV was awful as was Carlton. At least Gilbert played good d, made all his free throws and had some nice drives and dishes. He played well in first half. From his standpoint he probably feels like besides JB no one else can really score and he knows he can get past his man whenever he wants so he figures why not take it to the hole and try to finish and draw foul(or dish out). It’s worked his whole life. Not excusing it but just offering some logic on why he keeps doing this. Cud u imagine if he was just playing within himself ? We’d be undefeated and wud of beaten Xavier by 10-12. I’m telling u, u don’t want to see Badams at point. He cannot distribute like AG or blow by his man. AG just has to stop driving and getting caught up. This can be fixed. It’s maddening but can be fixed. He’s the most important part of this season. We need to get him right. And by right I don’t even mean hitting his jumpers I just mean playing under control - and for the first 17 minutes of the first half he was doing just that. Now don’t even get me started on Carlton and vital.

Reaction Score
First half Gilbert penetrates , gets assists to players moving into position to receive pass. Second half Gilbert penetrates, others revert to standing and watching, Gilbert gets swallowed up.
Where the heck was Akok second half ?

Reaction Score
At least Vital is aggressive all game. His rebounding did keep us in the game. He plays hard and earns his spot, and actually leads by example. If all of our players played as hard as Vital we would be undefeated. That's my compliment.

AG on the other hand has not transitioned his game from HS to Div 1. That could be the result of his injuries. I bet he's a wizard in practice though.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Gilbert and....

That's the problem
I honestly think his guy tends to let him get by knowing it’s an easy block from behind

Reaction Score
Vital had a bad game offensively no question about it, but he’s a good shooter, he’ll get better. He played great D, rebounded the ball, got steals.

12 rebounds and 4 steals is pretty good. Just need to take better shots.

Gilbert on the other hand just kills us. He did play pretty good D last night though.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Both need to make better decisions with the ball, but both are still our best two guards right now. And both desperately need a big man that can finish around the rim. Can't tell you how many times the ball went through a big's hands last night or got called for a travel in the paint.

I love Whaley, but if he is your backup center, your guards are going to have to do some spectacular things...

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
For me, I am much more comfortable with the ball in Bouk's hands. I'm ready to start JG and JB. Give the boys 10 games as featured players and they won't be freshmen any more. Make a strong push in the last half of the season and the AAC tourney. Take a NIT bid and move on. (I prefer NIT at this time because we will play more games there than in the NCAA)

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Welcome to the new normal, folks.
I'll take it over the old normal. Talented young players on the verge of creating something good. Good recruits on the way in. I'll take this normal for this year and next year. But then we will have a new normal.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm not going off on those two guys to the extent some of you have.

Vital leads the team in everything, he's critical to our success. Defense, rebounding and sticking 3's are his strength. He doesn't finish in a crowd well, but he's better this year than in the past.

Gilbert plays great defense, he'll find his stroke too. What he absolutely has to stop doing is driving and turning the ball over with one shot blocked after another. If those were counted as turnovers, he's be at like 8 TO's per game or more. I still believe he's going to start playing like a Burger Boy soon.

We need both kids to make better decisions, that's all, and that's easy to fix. No way we're better without them this year, that's silly.

And no, they don't start for Dook or UK or UNC, big deal. Neither would the vast majority of our players over the years

Reaction Score
Welcome to the new normal, folks.

What new normal, you being a on any and all posts? You're whacked dude! Why are you even here? Think about that, grow the fk up.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom