Giffey 3 shots! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Giffey 3 shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Its called working for that extra pass. If it is unfamiliar, watch the UConn women play. They find the open player a lot. Maybe an NBA offense just isn't the right way in college.

I remember a game when Meghan Gardler's hair clip came loose and during an offensive set, she removed it, replaced it and then hit a 3. I don't know where I'm going with this, but Meghan Gardler is hot.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I remember a game when Meghan Gardler's hair clip came loose during a game and during an offensive set, she removed it, replaced it and then hit a 3. I don't know where I'm going with this, but Meghan Gardler is hot.
This is known as a "360 degree thread redirection".

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I remember a game when Meghan Gardler's hair clip came loose during a game and during an offensive set, she removed it, replaced it and then hit a 3. I don't know where I'm going with this, but Meghan Gardler is hot.
So are you suggesting OC start wearing a hair clip?

Reaction Score
This is known as a "didn't do well in geometry class" quip.
That is correct. I got a "D" in geometry. I now see that a 360 degree turn brings you back to your original position which was not my intended point. Can we talk about derivatives instead? What rate did Meghan's clip accelerate as it hit the ground?

Reaction Score
To be fair, a lot of the blame falls on Giffey. He has never been good at creating his own shots or getting himself open to receive passes. His best scoring opportunities come on the break before the defense sets.

Reaction Score
Niels needs to be running off screens...like Ray. He's shooting 65% from 3. Seems to me, EVERYONE would want him shooting more, not less.
But Giffey is not Ray or Rip. Those guys moved constantly without the ball to get open. Rip was the best at it both at UConn and in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Don't give me this spot up shooter crap, he can shoot and he can shoot off of a curl…..get him open there is no excuse for a staff not to have a few plays to get him the ball. And he has a nice jump hook and when there's a mismatch throw him down low……there's ways and I'm sick of seeing our best shooter on the team not getting looks. Yeah some is on him but it's basketball, X's and O's - other teams find ways to get slow white guys open let's copy a few!

I don't care if he's green he should be getting the ball off screens instead of just setting them all game. Early in the season it was evident we were relying on our guards too much, not establishing inside and being too predictable in our tendencies and rotations. Neils is being wasted and this dependence on Shabazz is starting to catch up with us and him.

Reaction Score
To be fair, a lot of the blame falls on Giffey. He has never been good at creating his own shots or getting himself open to receive passes. His best scoring opportunities come on the break before the defense sets.

Why should Giffey have to be able to create his own shot? Many NBA players can't do that. He's a catch and shoot, and occasional drive and score/garbage points, player. It's a little more work, but when a player is effective it's something the team needs to work for.

I know it hurts some people's manhood, but better teams than this one have used Geno's sets. It might not hurt Ollie to watch and see how they get KML open. Giffey's percentage suggests he's worth it.

It's either the guard's fault or Ollie's fault, and at this point..because it's gone on so long, it's Ollie's fault. No plays are ever run for Giffey (and Giffey does move without the ball, he's rarely even given the ball to pass, never mind shoot it..) Run some plays for them. Drill it in Bazz and Boat's heads that if Giffey is open HE is the first option. Because Giffey gets himself open quite often too. Ollie's been good for Uconn, he's got the guys playing well..but this is a situation that needs fixing. I don't think there's any chemistry issues, in fact..Bazz and Giffey have pretty good chemistry. I think it's just a matter of Bazz and Boat finding it easier to look for their own shots, because creating for someone else is harder..and there aren't any set plays for the guy they need to be creating for.

Reaction Score
This is simple, none of our bigs are offensive threats and none of your wings can handle or pass…..so let's be sure we're running some screens for the shooters while the guards are taking their guys…….I know many of you believe it can't be done and many hate to hear about Geno's women (me included normally) but relative to the game, there's ways to get good shooters open even when everyone knows they want to shoot! I know a couple of very successful HS coaches who run many of Geno's sets and regularly attend his practices……and these are kids playing at successful HS's……I realize it's not college but it's basketball. Is it much easier for the women? Heck yeah not close and I'm the last to say otherwise I promise that…….but something, anything to get my guy who is shooting 70% from the floor more than 3-5 looks - PLEASE!!!!

Ok done….blackbird made me do it again!;)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
So last year when the ball used to go to Olander a lot, it was because they didn't realize he was white? Please.

Saying Napier is only about himself and not the team is incredible to me. This kid has sacrificed more for UCONN than anyone. I have watched him not look for his shot at all until it became crunch time and he had to bail the team out.

Boat doesn't fail to pass to Giffey. At his worst, he fails to pass to anyone.

Trying to get Giffey a few more shots to see what he can do makes sense. Calling Bazz selfish is crazy. Implying racial motivation to the shot distribution is irresponsible.

Reaction Score
So last year when the ball used to go to Olander a lot, it was because they didn't realize he was white? Please.

Saying Napier is only about himself and not the team is incredible to me. This kid has sacrificed more for UCONN than anyone. I have watched him not look for his shot at all until it became crunch time and he had to bail the team out.

Boat doesn't fail to pass to Giffey. At his worst, he fails to pass to anyone.

Trying to get Giffey a few more shots to see what he can do makes sense. Calling Bazz selfish is crazy. Implying racial motivation to the shot distribution is irresponsible.

Did someone insinuate that Gavid? I didn't see that……...

Reaction Score
Why should Giffey have to be able to create his own shot? Many NBA players can't do that. He's a catch and shoot, and occasional drive and score/garbage points, player. It's a little more work, but when a player is effective it's something the team needs to work for.

I know it hurts some people's manhood, but better teams than this one have used Geno's sets. It might not hurt Ollie to watch and see how they get KML open. Giffey's percentage suggests he's worth it.

It's either the guard's fault or Ollie's fault, and at this point..because it's gone on so long, it's Ollie's fault. No plays are ever run for Giffey (and Giffey does move without the ball, he's rarely even given the ball to pass, never mind shoot it..) Run some plays for them. Drill it in Bazz and Boat's heads that if Giffey is open HE is the first option. Because Giffey gets himself open quite often too. Ollie's been good for Uconn, he's got the guys playing well..but this is a situation that needs fixing. I don't think there's any chemistry issues, in fact..Bazz and Giffey have pretty good chemistry. I think it's just a matter of Bazz and Boat finding it easier to look for their own shots, because creating for someone else is harder..and there aren't any set plays for the guy they need to be creating for.
Genos sets, FOH. Are you guys blind? Our issues have little to do with offense, and all you do is beat some drum to how Giffey needs more touches. None of that matters. You bringing up geno like he is some x&o's deity says enough about your grasp of the game. Giffey can be open all he wants, but what happens when teams start closing out hard on him? He has yet to prove to be able to put the ball on the deck and do ANYTHING. To suggest we start running play for him like he's ray allen is quite asinine.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

No manhood problems in my case. I watch a lot of the women's games and what Geno has that KO does not have is Dolson and Stewart. Kaleena is no Taurasi running around trying to get free. She moves around but a lot of her open looks are because defenses collapse to defend Stewie or Stef. You don't see that with the men's team and NG in particular because DD and the triumvirate don't force defenses to give them the same attention. Nor do any of the bigs offer the same type of high screens that Stef provides her shooters. It's personnel imo, and not coaching or players effort or chemistry.

Reaction Score
Genos sets, FOH. Are you guys blind? Our issues have little to do with offense, and all you do is beat some drum to how Giffey needs more touches. None of that matters. You bringing up geno like he is some x&o's deity says enough about your grasp of the game. Giffey can be open all he wants, but what happens when teams start closing out hard on him? He has yet to prove to be able to put the ball on the deck and do ANYTHING. To suggest we start running play for him like he's ray allen is quite asinine.

There are NBA coaches that use Geno's sets. Roy Williams does as well. It's not too good for this Uconn men's team. Geno's offense is screens, more screens, ball movement and player movement. That works in men's basketball. It works in any basketball. The difference between teams is really that the men should be able to run it more efficiently.

Of course there are different types of players (Like the women have an offensive post presence), but his offense has always worked to get his best three point shooters open. Ollie's a good coach, no one's saying it's got to be the exact same plays..adjust it.

To suggest we don't start finding ways to get our 70% three point shooter shots is asinine. The shot distribution from the last game was asinine. Suggesting that maybe Ollie utilize a few tools available at Uconn to seek out a potential solution, not so asinine. Because whatever he's doing now isn't working.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
100% agree. Color of skin shouldn't determine how many shots a player takes. Bazz and Boat need to start playing team basketball, not me-basketball. They're looking out for their pro careers, it's expected.

Mainly CT's post. But others, less directly, may have inferred Giffey doesn't get passes because he is white and the guards (and possibly the Coach) are Black. Inappropriate and total conjecture. I find the "SN is selfish" piece as disconnected from what we have witnessed for 3.5 years and an insult to a young man who has given so much through a difficult period.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Mainly CT's post. But others, less directly, may have inferred Giffey doesn't get passes because he is white and the guards (and possibly the Coach) are Black. Inappropriate and total conjecture. I find the "SN is selfish" piece as disconnected from what we have witnessed for 3.5 years and an insult to a young man who has given so much through a difficult period.
Didn't say anything about anyone else's race. It shouldn't matter. But Shabazz can be selfish at times. I love the kid he's my avatar, but sometimes he tries to hard to be "the guy," when he already is.

Reaction Score
Giffey currently has 5 assists...all year.

Oh yeah then how the hell is he going to be able to get the ball to himself anyway?………what's this have to do with him getting open?

And he's made a few jumpers with people "closing" on him so please stop the nonsense about people being blind. I can only find one here……..

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Didn't say anything about anyone else's race. It shouldn't matter. But Shabazz can be selfish at times. I love the kid he's my avatar, but sometimes he tries to hard to be "the guy," when he already is.

No, you used the word color.I think when you brought up color related to Giffey not getting the ball, you knew, and we all new, what you meant.
I don't see Shabazz as selfish. I think there are times when he feels he has to take over for the good of the team. Many of those times are after 25 seconds of everyone passing the ball around the perimeter or when we go down by something like 21 points. But padding his points for the Pros? Bazz could easily average 25 ppg instead of 15.

Reaction Score
No, you used the word color.I think when you brought up color related to Giffey not getting the ball, you knew, and we all new, what you meant.
I don't see Shabazz as selfish. I think there are times when he feels he has to take over for the good of the team. Many of those times are after 25 seconds of everyone passing the ball around the perimeter or when we go down by something like 21 points. But padding his points for the Pros? Bazz could easily average 25 ppg instead of 15.

Gavid and CT let's stop this one here - 2 good posters in a miscommunication on both ends and that's all it is. I believe each to have posted something which the other took in error so no need to go back and forth. What we all need is a win tomorrow anyway right? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom