Giffey 3 shots! | The Boneyard

Giffey 3 shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How does our best shooter only manage 3 shots (2/3)? Its like 1 per half with an extra shot. Isn't Ollie concerned?

I know I am. He one of the best in the nation.

It ain't like he's only been here a couple of years. Something's very wrong with this picture, I hope its nothing personal (i.e. teammates).

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I agree Kitaman,

I said it last night. This team's offense is not conducive to winning national championships, and in fact winning at a consistent pace.

Reaction Score

BS get him open………you see Indiana, Iowa with slow white guys getting open looks - GET them for him if he can't create. It's simple run plays and picks and if people don't do it sit their a**es…….get him 8-10 shots a game or it's ridiculous!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
NG is a spot up shooter. Has no handle, doesn't take it to the basket. Play him close and you can shut him down. That's who he's. He needs space to be effective. He is best in transition where there is a lot of space otherwise offensively he is not very effective.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
BS get him open………you see Indiana, Iowa with slow white guys getting open looks - get them for him if he can't create. It's simple run plays and picks and if people don't so it sit their a**es…….get him 8-10 shots a game or it's ridiculous!
100% agree. Color of skin shouldn't determine how many shots a player takes. Bazz and Boat need to start playing team basketball, not me-basketball. They're looking out for their pro careers, it's expected.

Reaction Score
NG is a spot up shooter. Has no handle, doesn't take it to the basket. Play him close and you can shut him down. That's who he's. He needs space to be effective. He is best in transition where there is a lot of space otherwise offensively he is not very effective.

Don't give me this spot up shooter crap, he can shoot and he can shoot off of a curl…..get him open there is no excuse for a staff not to have a few plays to get him the ball. And he has a nice jump hook and when there's a mismatch throw him down low……there's ways and I'm sick of seeing our best shooter on the team not getting looks. Yeah some is on him but it's basketball, X's and O's - other teams find ways to get slow white guys open let's copy a few!

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
If you watched Giffey this summer play in the FIBA tournament, you would see that he has a pretty good handle for a 6'7" and can take some bigger guards off the dribble.

And for anyone else who watched the game again, Giffey was wide open multiple times on the wing and never even got a look from Boat or Bazz. And he was wide open in the corner on the last Shabazz drive and didn't even get a look.

Reaction Score
If you watched Giffey this summer play in the FIBA tournament, you would see that he has a pretty good handle for a 6'7" and can take some bigger guards off the dribble.

And for anyone else who watched the game again, Giffey was wide open multiple times on the wing and never even got a look from Boat or Bazz. And he was wide open in the corner on the last Shabazz drive and didn't even get a look.

Earlier in the year he had a few head fakes and drive by's too so he needs to bring that back so some is on him…….but he's not bad. I sometimes wonder if he makes sure he doesn't do anything "out of the ordinary" because he gets a quick hook when he does?

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
Earlier in the year he had a few head fakes and drive by's too so he needs to bring that back so some is on him…….but he's not bad. I sometimes wonder if he makes sure he doesn't do anything "out of the ordinary" because he gets a quick hook when he does?
He gets a quick hook whenever he does something wrong. Yet KO allows DD to play an entire half and gets absolutely killed offensively and defensively.

Reaction Score
100% agree. Color of skin shouldn't determine how many shots a player takes. Bazz and Boat need to start playing team basketball, not me-basketball. They're looking out for their pro careers, it's expected.
Can't disagree more.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
So the color of skin should determine playing time and number of shots? What?
I think you misinterpreted Maus post. I believe he was suggesting Niels was a slow white guy like Indiana and Iowa kids who aren't super athletic and able to create their own shots and need plays run for them. Not quite sure how you got to the place you did.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
No and i knew that was coming. The other parts
I disagree. Shabazz has never been a lock for a 1st round pick. The only way he gets there is by scoring; everyone knows he can pass. And Boatright has talked about me and the NBA ever since he got here.

Reaction Score
Don't give me this spot up shooter crap, he can shoot and he can shoot off of a curl…..get him open there is no excuse for a staff not to have a few plays to get him the ball. And he has a nice jump hook and when there's a mismatch throw him down low……there's ways and I'm sick of seeing our best shooter on the team not getting looks. Yeah some is on him but it's basketball, X's and O's - other teams find ways to get slow white guys open let's copy a few!
I would say ALL NG there's have been as a spot up shooter, not one off a curl or set play, most in transition and several others when teams just left him wide open. Very rarely does he take it to the basket or post up down low. He should but be doesn't. He just doesn't create his own shots. He is best in transition and not in a half court set.

CTBasketball

Reaction Score
I would say ALL NG there's have been as a spot up shooter, not one off a curl or set play, most in transition and several others when teams just left him wide open. Very rarely does he take it to the basket or post up down low. He should but be doesn't. He just doesn't create his own shots. He is best in transition and not in a half court set.
Couple of things.

1. Giff can take people off the dribble and even featured a pull-up jumper off the dribble vs. Indiana (I think). He hit this shot with ease over the summer. As well as driving and finishing at the rim.
2. Our transition game isn't a true transition game because 60% of the time Shabazz or Boat pull down the rebound. Hard to get a break going when your fastest players are getting rebounds.
3. We don't have a half court offense.

Reaction Score
SB leads the team in assists and rebounds. Many have complained that he hasn't looked for his offense enough this year. Who was going to make the shots last night if not him. He really stepped up. I'll admit he started out shaky but he brought them all the way back. Just didn't score on that drive at the end.

Reaction Score
Boat just doesn't pass to Giffey. Never did. When Gifffey is open on the wing Boat just doesn't give him the ball.
Doesn't Ollie see that? It was evident last night again. I wonder if its deliberate, lack of trust, boneheaded, lack of awareness or something sinister. Its become a problematic issue as far as I'm concerned. We are definitely losing scoring points not finding Giffey.

I notice DD when he get the ball he goes for his shot the majority of times. Is he saying something (via actions) about not getting touches? All I'm saying is force feed Giffey, he's our best shooter right now.

Calbert Chaney wasn't any quicker/faster than Giff but the guards got him the ball. Just saying..................................

Reaction Score
This thread is hilarious. Our guards don't look for Giffey? How many shots has he made this year that WERENT assisted ? I think it was gurleyman who broke it down well; Giffey is not a risk taker. To blame the guards for giffeys lack of aggression is moronic, if he could he would. The struggles we're having have more to do with not having an oriakhi like big, not giffeys touches.

Nolan has not made a leap, this is a major concern. Daniels will get better he had nice in the paint looks, he's fine; he just isn't a power forward rebounding defensive force (he is being asked to). Also napier looked slow and not explosive. Leg injury ?

Reaction Score
This thread is hilarious. Our guards don't look for Giffey? How many shots has he made this year that WERENT assisted ? I think it was gurleyman who broke it down well; Giffey is not a risk taker. To blame the guards for giffeys lack of aggression is moronic, if he could he would. The struggles we're having have more to do with not having an oriakhi like big, not giffeys touches.

Nolan has not made a leap, this is a major concern. Daniels will get better he had nice in the paint looks, he's fine; he just isn't a power forward rebounding defensive force (he is being asked to). Also napier looked slow and not explosive. Leg injury ?

You want hilarious, an "oriahki-like" big is funny! But thanks it was much needed…….Nolans numbers have been better than what he did for us…..maybe Roscoe could have rebounded a few of Giffey's misses too, oh crap he only missed one because he only shot it 3 times! Please…..

Reaction Score
You want hilarious, an "oriahki-like" big is funny! But thanks it was much needed…….Nolans numbers have been better than what he did for us…..maybe Roscoe could have rebounded a few of Giffey's misses too, oh crap he only missed one because he only shot it 3 times! Please…..
At. This point in the '11 season , oriakhi had two 15 + rebound performances under his belt, not including a 20+ one against Tristan Thompson.
Anyway , my point is Giffey doesn't have the skillset to take all these shots you want him to take. If he did he would be able to score in ISO situations, and he can't. All his buckets come from the playmaking guards. Teams don't just let you tee up threes, he'll need to learn how to take risks.

Reaction Score
Here is the assist breakdown on Giffey's made shots this year, going by the play-by-plays from ESPN and CBS Sports:

Maryland- 2 assists from Shabazz, 2 assists from Boat
Yale- 5 assists from Shabazz
Detroit- 2 assists from Shabazz, 2 assists from Boat
Boston University- none
Boston College- 1 assist from Shabazz
Indiana- 1 assist from Shabazz
Loyola- 1 assist from Shabazz
Florida- 1 assist from Shabazz
Maine- 1 assist from Boat
Stanford- 1 assist from Shabazz, 1 assist from Boat
Washington- 1 assist from Shabazz,
EWU- 2 assists from Shabazz, 1 assist from Boat
Houston- 2 assists from Boat​

Totals- 17 assists from Shabazz, 9 assists from Boat - 26 total​

Niels has made 39 shots so far this year, and our guards have assisted on 67% of them.

Just thought it would be interesting to see how often Bazz & Boat look for Giffey, given that people have been saying that Boat never passes to Giffey. I'm sure that there have been open looks for Giffey that our guards have missed, but to say that either Boat/Bazz have a complete aversion to giving the ball up to Giffey are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom