Giffey 3 shots! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Giffey 3 shots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is the assist breakdown on Giffey's made shots this year, going by the play-by-plays from ESPN and CBS Sports:

Maryland- 2 assists from Shabazz, 2 assists from Boat
Yale- 5 assists from Shabazz
Detroit- 2 assists from Shabazz, 2 assists from Boat
Boston College- 1 assist from Shabazz
Indiana- 1 assist from Shabazz
Loyola- 1 assist from Shabazz
Florida- 1 assist from Shabazz
Maine- 1 assist from Boat
Stanford- 1 assist from Shabazz, 1 assist from Boat
Washington- 1 assist from Shabazz,
EWU- 2 assists from Shabazz, 1 assist from Boat
Houston- 2 assists from Boat​

Totals- 17 assists from Shabazz, 9 assists from Boat - 26 total​

Niels has made 39 shots so far this year, and our guards have assisted on 67% of them.

Just thought it would be interesting to see how often Bazz & Boat look for Giffey, given that people have been saying that Boat never passes to Giffey. I'm sure that there have been open looks for Giffey that our guards have missed, but to say that either Boat/Bazz have a complete aversion to giving the ball up to Giffey are wrong.

Thanks, I stand corrected, but my eye test says they could rack up a few more assists. Not science, best shooter should get the most shots. Maybe Giff should look at Ray Allen films.

Reaction Score
those percentages are great, the fact is though, that the total isn't enough. NG only averages around 4 1/2 shots per game. Its nice that when they find him he makes the shots, but they don't find him enough, and there aren't enough plays run for him either.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If you watched Giffey this summer play in the FIBA tournament, you would see that he has a pretty good handle for a 6'7" and can take some bigger guards off the dribble.

And for anyone else who watched the game again, Giffey was wide open multiple times on the wing and never even got a look from Boat or Bazz. And he was wide open in the corner on the last Shabazz drive and didn't even get a look.

that's because this team is a bazz option 1-9, boat option 10 and whoever grabs a loose ball option 11 on. I luv bazz and boat (when he plays as he did last night) but this team needs teamwork and player involvement to go anywhere. the bigger factor is when is DD going to start acting and playing like the stud many think he is. giffs does need to move to find open spaces on offense but guys get tired of doing so only to watch the bazz and boat show.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
that's because this team is a bazz option 1-9, boat option 10 and whoever grabs a loose ball option 11 on. I luv bazz and boat (when he plays as he did last night) but this team needs teamwork and player involvement to go anywhere. the bigger factor is when is DD going to start acting and playing like the stud many think he is. giffs does need to move to find open spaces on offense but guys get tired of doing so only to watch the bazz and boat show.

You are absolutely right.

And the earlier point about percentages is fine, but the totals are still not good enough. You want your best shooters shooting more, not less.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Instead of Omar running off curl screens, we need Neils running off these screens. He can be a RIP type player, but maybe not as quick as RIP.

Reaction Score
You mean to stop setting picks and to stop passing the ball to inferior shooters? I agree.

Reaction Score
At. This point in the '11 season , oriakhi had two 15 + rebound performances under his belt, not including a 20+ one against Tristan Thompson.
Anyway , my point is Giffey doesn't have the skillset to take all these shots you want him to take. If he did he would be able to score in ISO situations, and he can't. All his buckets come from the playmaking guards. Teams don't just let you tee up threes, he'll need to learn how to take risks.
Its called working for that extra pass. If it is unfamiliar, watch the UConn women play. They find the open player a lot. Maybe an NBA offense just isn't the right way in college.

Reaction Score
At. This point in the '11 season , oriakhi had two 15 + rebound performances under his belt, not including a 20+ one against Tristan Thompson.
Anyway , my point is Giffey doesn't have the skillset to take all these shots you want him to take. If he did he would be able to score in ISO situations, and he can't. All his buckets come from the playmaking guards. Teams don't just let you tee up threes, he'll need to learn how to take risks.

Oriahki ruined that team…to even discuss that tool is a joke! This is a TEAM, he wasn't a teammate! These guys have a chance because they don't have Alex Oriahki and his baby attitude. Nuff said!

Reaction Score
Its called working for that extra pass. If it is unfamiliar, watch the UConn women play. They find the open player a lot. Maybe an NBA offense just isn't the right way in college.
You're right I probably should watch women's hoops more to get an idea of how it's done.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Oriahki ruined that team…to even discuss that tool is a joke! This is a TEAM, he wasn't a teammate! These guys have a chance because they don't have Alex Oriahki and his baby attitude. Nuff said!
At this point I'm not even sure if this is parody. Oriakhi was a starter on a national championship-winning team. He ruined that team? What?

Reaction Score
100% agree. Color of skin shouldn't determine how many shots a player takes. Bazz and Boat need to start playing team basketball, not me-basketball. They're looking out for their pro careers, it's expected.

This is a ridiculous post on so many levels. The first part about skin color is just completely out of place, and to insinuate that Giffey's skin color has anything to do with shot attempts is probably one of the most asinine things I've read on this site. Bazz and Boat are playing "me-first basketball"??? Have we been watching the same Shabazz? Bazz constantly looks for Giffey, whether it's on the pick and pop, in transition, or on a dribble drive. There have been several occasions this season when Napier has been pretty shamelessly trying to pad his assist totals (mostly in garbage time, but still), so to think that he doesn't derive a significant amount of pleasure from assisting his teammates is insane. Boat obviously isn't as gifted as Bazz as a passer, but again, it's equally ridiculous to think that racking up assists isn't atop Boat's list of goals for the season - court vision is one area of his game he needs to expand to make it to the next level, so if he's consciously deciding to look off Giffey, he's doing it to the detriment of his own career.

We can beat the "Giffey needs more looks" drum until the cows come home, and I agree to a large extent, but the fact of the matter is that Giffey is uncomfortable shooting unless he's wide open. He refuses to take semi-contested shots, he refuses to consistently drive to the rim with aggression, and defenders know he's a good shooter and are going to stay with him at all costs. To act like Bazz isn't doing everything within his power to get Giffey open looks and isn't a team-first player is absurd.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
FWIW, and this may or may not be an unpopular opinion... But this is a team sport and it's UCONN basketball. I believe Ollie and JC will do everything possible to help a kid get into the pros, or whatever his dream is, BUT if a kid starts playing more for himself than for the team, he ought to be benched, no matter who he is. I get that Bazz and Boat can take guys off the dribble, etc. But 1 on 1 basketball is the kind of crap you expect from a team of 1 and done's, not a team with final 4 aspirations, and one like UCONN that lacks a bunch of elite AA's... And it's up to the coaches, and mainly the HC, to move the ship in the right direction.

I'm just not getting coaches, and Ollie is not alone in this, letting kids do whatever they want instead of what is best for the team. And I'm NOT saying Bazz or Boat are all me me me. But to the point of the OP, when you have your best shooter on the team getting 3 shots in an entire game, then your game plan is wrong. But, there is more wrong with this team than just not getting Giff enough shots. Honestly, they seem to have regressed in running any kind of consistent offense, and I'm not sure why.

Still, 11-2 is a really good record. I just hope we don't end up losing more than we win the rest of the season...

Reaction Score
ericsandiego said:
FWIW, and this may or may not be an unpopular opinion... But this is a team sport and it's UCONN basketball. I believe Ollie and JC will do everything possible to help a kid get into the pros, or whatever his dream is, BUT if a kid starts playing more for himself than for the team, he ought to be benched, no matter who he is. I get that Bazz and Boat can take guys off the dribble, etc. But 1 on 1 basketball is the kind of crap you expect from a team of 1 and done's, not a team with final 4 aspirations, and one like UCONN that lacks a bunch of elite AA's... And it's up to the coaches, and mainly the HC, to move the ship in the right direction.

I'm just not getting coaches, and Ollie is not alone in this, letting kids do whatever they want instead of what is best for the team. And I'm NOT saying Bazz or Boat are all me me me. But to the point of the OP, when you have your best shooter on the team getting 3 shots in an entire game, then your game plan is wrong. But, there is more wrong with this team than just not getting Giff enough shots. Honestly, they seem to have regressed in running any kind of consistent offense, and I'm not sure why.

Still, 11-2 is a really good record. I just hope we don't end up losing more than we win the rest of the season...

The problem with just inventing attitude issues is that they can be applied according to the beholder. Bazz and Boat are the only playmakers we have (check the assist totals this season for everyone else), so they often have to break down the D and make something happen. That's basically basketball. Beat your man (either off a screen or on your own), force help or force a switch, make a read. At what point does attacking a guy off the dribble and trying to make a play stop being the best thing for our team and start becoming selfish?

And what if someone suspected that maybe Giffey is the one playing selfishly on offense for pro aspirations? He has a very nice shooting percentage right now that Euro leagues might be impressed with. If he doesn't take any difficult shots, he can keep that percentage nice and high. That's bunk (this is just the player he's always been - even when he shot 40 percent), but if you think that Bazz and Boat are hurting the team with pro aspirations, that's just as bunky.

Now we can look for a couple plays where DD is trying to prove he can play the 3, and we can bench him too.

Reaction Score
At this point I'm not even sure if this is parody. Oriakhi was a starter on a national championship-winning team. He ruined that team? What?

Where were you the year after the NC sleeping? He ruined the team. His play was lackluster at best, he sulked, he tore down a HOF coach and his attitude brought Roscoe and others with him. Were on another planet at that time?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Where were you the year after the NC sleeping? He ruined the team. His play was lackluster at best, he sulked, he tore down a HOF coach and his attitude brought Roscoe and others with him. Were on another planet at that time?
He was talking about the 2011 team. The one that won a title? You remember that one? The point was we could use a guy who rebounds the way he did in 2011. You going to argue that one?
I sweat the competition for dumbest poster gets stiffer by the day.

Reaction Score
He was talking about the 2011 team. The one that won a title? You remember that one? The point was we could use a guy who rebounds the way he did in 2011. You going to argue that one?
I sweat the competition for dumbest poster gets stiffer by the day.

Yeah I'm the dumbest Inyatkin…….funny …….keep talking about a guy who didn't want to play for Calhoun then come back to me okay. He's a stiff and you just joined him on that squad!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here is the assist breakdown on Giffey's made shots this year, going by the play-by-plays from ESPN and CBS Sports:

Maryland- 2 assists from Shabazz, 2 assists from Boat
Yale- 5 assists from Shabazz
Detroit- 2 assists from Shabazz, 2 assists from Boat
Boston University- none
Boston College- 1 assist from Shabazz
Indiana- 1 assist from Shabazz
Loyola- 1 assist from Shabazz
Florida- 1 assist from Shabazz
Maine- 1 assist from Boat
Stanford- 1 assist from Shabazz, 1 assist from Boat
Washington- 1 assist from Shabazz,
EWU- 2 assists from Shabazz, 1 assist from Boat
Houston- 2 assists from Boat​

Totals- 17 assists from Shabazz, 9 assists from Boat - 26 total​

Niels has made 39 shots so far this year, and our guards have assisted on 67% of them.

Just thought it would be interesting to see how often Bazz & Boat look for Giffey, given that people have been saying that Boat never passes to Giffey. I'm sure that there have been open looks for Giffey that our guards have missed, but to say that either Boat/Bazz have a complete aversion to giving the ball up to Giffey are wrong.

So in seven games, we have no assists from Boat. Note that only against BU did that happen with Shabazz. I've watched Boat ignore a wide open Giffey in the corner to throw up shots that had no chance (several times). I've seen Calhoun and DD do it too. Bazz seems to recognize that he's an offensive weapon, but since Bazz is our top offensive option already, it's more important that the other guys pass it to Giffey.

And Giffey runs fine and has a better handle that DD from what I can see.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Yeah I'm the dumbest Inyatkin…….funny …….keep talking about a guy who didn't want to play for Calhoun then come back to me okay. He's a stiff and you just joined him on that squad!
Yes nice job proving the point.

Reaction Score
HuskyHawk said:
So in seven games, we have no assists from Boat. Note that only against BU did that happen with Shabazz. I've watched Boat ignore a wide open Giffey in the corner to throw up shots that had no chance (several times). I've seen Calhoun and DD do it too. Bazz seems to recognize that he's an offensive weapon, but since Bazz is our top offensive option already, it's more important that the other guys pass it to Giffey.

And Giffey runs fine and has a better handle that DD from what I can see.

And Maine and Houston (no assists from Bazz).

Watching on TV gives you an aerial perspective where you can see everything. Floor level is different. And yes, Boat is not a natural PG (I think he averaged 30 points and three assists in high school but i might be remembering wrong) so he may miss open guys sometimes when he's attacking full speed. But he's clearly making an effort to improve that area. He passes a lot this season when it looks like he's in shoot mode.

Omar and DD, meanwhile, are just not good passers. But neither is Giff - he has five assists all year (and only 16 last year). The lack of playmaking ability from any of our wings puts the onus on Bazz and Boat to create everything. Hamilton will help in that regard next year, but that's next year. Can't get him here early, alas.

Reaction Score
And Maine and Houston (no assists from Bazz).

Watching on TV gives you an aerial perspective where you can see everything. Floor level is different. And yes, Boat is not a natural PG (I think he averaged 30 points and three assists in high school but i might be remembering wrong) so he may miss open guys sometimes when he's attacking full speed. But he's clearly making an effort to improve that area. He passes a lot this season when it looks like he's in shoot mode.

Omar and DD, meanwhile, are just not good passers. But neither is Giff - he has five assists all year (and only 16 last year). The lack of playmaking ability from any of our wings puts the onus on Bazz and Boat to create everything. Hamilton will help in that regard next year, but that's next year. Can't get him here early, alas.

Giffey passes all the time yet none impact at the assist level…….Gurley is spot on Omar and DD are fairly inadequate passers and we imagine why our offense stalls so much! DHam as well as Cassell Jr, Rodney will be pleasant additions.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Giffey passes all the time yet none impact at the assist level…….Gurley is spot on Omar and DD are fairly inadequate passers and we imagine why our offense stalls so much! DHam as well as Cassell Jr, Rodney will be pleasant additions.

It really is sad that Shabazz won't be around to play with those guys. I think, except for the loss of Shabazz, next year's team looks considerably better than this year's (on paper at least). On a positive (if you want to call it that) note, I don't see Deandre heading for the draft. He's far behind where he was late last year. I would like to see Samuel getting some more minutes this year, and don't know why Facey is nowhere to be seen.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Giffey needs more shots. That is undeniable.

Whether this is an assertiveness issue, teammate issue or coaching issue is certainly up for debate.

I think Ollie needs to run plays for NG and he shouldn't be afraid to put the ball on the floor and drive. He certainly is no worse of a ball handler than DD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom