Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
@WideRight! I think a gibbs adams backcourt is very ideal. I said it earlier, let purvis get his in a 6th man role. a la dion waiters at cuse. gibbs and adams brings serious playmaking at the 1and2 spots, then you throw in hamilton... wow , just lots of driving ability. the thing that i'm curious about is gibbs' defensive ability. if gibbs is trash defensively he will have to sit in end of game situations. he has yet to play minutes on a winning team so there is much left to be answered. he also hasn't even committed here so we should worry about that when it gets there.

Reaction Score
I would stay clear of a guy going on third school who has proven he cannot handle adversity. He was central in the Seton Hall locker room disaster. He fought with teammates and took the well known cheap shot when the chips were down against Nova.

C'mon, man, troll harder. I don't even follow the Big East anymore and even I know that was mostly about Whitehead. Why'd Sina leave too?

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
@WideRight! I think a gibbs adams backcourt is very ideal. I said it earlier, let purvis get his in a 6th man role. a la dion waiters at cuse. gibbs and adams brings serious playmaking at the 1and2 spots, then you throw in hamilton... wow , just lots of driving ability. the thing that i'm curious about is gibbs' defensive ability. if gibbs is trash defensively he will have to sit in end of game situations. he has yet to play minutes on a winning team so there is much left to be answered. he also hasn't even committed here so we should worry about that when it gets there.

Very true, and it could work very well bringing purvis in as the 6th man to spell either adams or gibbs thus allowing one of them to come back in with the second unit to run the offense. It only adds fuel to the competitive fire that there could be 5 guys looking to play well enough to be noticed by The League. I'm not sure about Miller but I can imagine Adams Purvis Hamilton and Brimah (Gibbs please come) will all be looking to assert themselves in an effort to attract the attention of NBA scouts, always looking for ways to contribute in order for their stock to rise. Wish the team had an all-access Youtube channel showing us what the guys are working on in practice with some behind-the-scenes shenanigans every now and then. Until then, we wait.. Has it been 20 minutes yet?

Reaction Score
People will talk about minute distribution and who starts, but that stuff is secondary, IMO. There will be plenty of minutes to go around. The question is who will play crunch-time minutes. If Purvis doesn't build on his sophomore season, he could be on the outside looking in. As @James said, though, we will have to see whether Gibbs is willing and able to play level five defense. If nothing else, Purvis has the tools to be a terrific defender.

Reaction Score
Bruce, you forget that the 4 star complete unknown freshman is always better than the 5 star 4th year junior returning starter.
no matter what purvis was evaluated as a hs prospect, he will never be the kind of passer adams is coming in as a frosh. What purvis offers is great physical tools for defense, and iso scoring. @champs99and04 is right purvis can be key in the defensive scheme, he really takes pride on that side of the floor which is important. All i'm looking for him to do next season is consistently floor space, no more 0-7 nights from trey in conference basically.

Reaction Score
OK, so if Gibbs comes, whose team will it be next year? DHams, Purvis, Gibbs?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Bruce, you forget that the 4 star complete unknown freshman is always better than the 5 star 4th year junior returning starter.
Completely different players in that JA is a more complete offensive package with a court vision beyond what RP could offer. RP may be more physical but that also comes with more years on this earth. IF Gibbs comes to UConn, by December, it will be RP looking at a 6th man role due to his tendency to take plays off, lapse of concentration and shot selection. By bo means is this an anti RP stance BUT JA comes with so much talent and the fact that he has played with great talent at Brewster he has, I feel, a foot up.
4 star complete unknown? wow is that a plain ridiculous statement IF meant seriously.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Completely different players in that JA is a more complete offensive package with a court vision beyond what RP could offer. RP may be more physical but that also comes with more years on this earth. IF Gibbs comes to UConn, by December, it will be RP looking at a 6th man role due to his tendency to take plays off, lapse of concentration and shot selection. By bo means is this an anti RP stance BUT JA comes with so much talent and the fact that he has played with great talent at Brewster he has, I feel, a foot up.
4 star complete unknown? wow is that a plain ridiculous statement IF meant seriously.

You didn't watch Purvis the second half of the season.

And I'm beyond excited for JA's career here, but can the ridiculous worship please be taken down a notch? For Pete's sake, Kemba was our 6th man his freshman year and he turned out just fine.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
Purvis isn't going to the bench so Adams can start.

Everyone is going to have to prove themselves. If Purvis builds off the way he finished this past season(asserting himself at every opportunity he got) and limits the mental mistakes, you're probably right.

Reaction Score
no matter what purvis was evaluated as a hs prospect, he will never be the kind of passer adams is coming in as a frosh. What purvis offers is great physical tools for defense, and iso scoring. @champs99and04 is right purvis can be key in the defensive scheme, he really takes pride on that side of the floor which is important. All i'm looking for him to do next season is consistently floor space, no more 0-7 nights from trey in conference basically.

Purvis (and also Hamilton, to some degree) really killed the offense at times last year with his indecisiveness with the ball, and his inability to consistently read and react to the help defense. I think some people on this board under-sell how vital court vision is when discussing our guards, particularly in Kevin Ollie's offense. Ball movement is imperative to sustaining a highly-efficient offense in this day and age, so if Adams is ahead of the curve in that regard - and I would no doubt it - I would not be surprised to see him play crunch time minutes ahead of Purvis.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The pessimists, afraid of getting hurt are COWARDS!!
Let go. Get excited. Don't you know that it's better to have loved & lost...........;)

Reaction Score
You didn't watch Purvis the second half of the season.

And I'm beyond excited for JA's career here, but can the ridiculous worship please be taken down a notch? For Pete's sake, Kemba was our 6th man his freshman year and he turned out just fine.

It wouldn't surprise me if Adams gets more minutes than Purvis by the end of the year. I'm not convinced Purvis can bring it consistently.

And the Kemba argument is a little disingenuous -- yes, he came off the bench. But that was on a team that was Top 5 wire to wire, a #1 seed, and went to the Final Four. Even with Gibbs, next year's team is maybe fringe Top 25/Sweet 16 caliber.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't surprise me if Adams gets more minutes than Purvis by the end of the year. I'm not convinced Purvis can bring it consistently.

And the Kemba argument is a little disingenuous -- yes, he came off the bench. But that was on a team that was Top 5 wire to wire, a #1 seed, and went to the Final Four. Even with Gibbs, next year's team is maybe fringe Top 25/Sweet 16 caliber.
I definitely wouldn't say fringe top 25, id say fringe top 10/15 honestly. Now, the Sweet 16 is plausible because anything could happen in the big dance, but adding Gibbs would arguably make our starting lineup 3-5 legit star players.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Purvis (and also Hamilton, to some degree) really killed the offense at times last year with his indecisiveness with the ball, and his inability to consistently read and react to the help defense. I think some people on this board under-sell how vital court vision is when discussing our guards, particularly in Kevin Ollie's offense. Ball movement is imperative to sustaining a highly-efficient offense in this day and age, so if Adams is ahead of the curve in that regard - and I would no doubt it - I would not be surprised to see him play crunch time minutes ahead of Purvis.
I think Purvis will get the crunch time minutes no matter what, but the first part of your post still stands. So often last year we would move the ball well, pull the defense out of alignment, and then it would get to Rodney or DHam and they'd just stop and let the D reset. It was infuriating to watch. I definitely broke some s*** in my house.

Reaction Score
Tenspro2002 said:
It wouldn't surprise me if Adams gets more minutes than Purvis by the end of the year. I'm not convinced Purvis can bring it consistently. And the Kemba argument is a little disingenuous -- yes, he came off the bench. But that was on a team that was Top 5 wire to wire, a #1 seed, and went to the Final Four. Even with Gibbs, next year's team is maybe fringe Top 25/Sweet 16 caliber.

The Kemba argument would be disingenuous if Craig Austrie didn't start over him (7 ppg, 2 apg, 35 percent shooting). If Kemba was ready for starters minutes, Austrie would have moved into the Rash Jones role off the bench in a heartbeat (would be different if Dyson and Sticks were both there all year)..

If Gibbs comes and Adams is good enough to force his way into the starting lineup ahead of someone in the Gibbs-Purvis-Hamilton-Miller quartet, we are a lot better than fringe top 25. Because that means Adams is a stud from day one and someone is coming off our bench who clearly has starter's talent. More likely, Adams will be in Kemba's change of pace role off the bench.

But of course we first have to get Gibbs to come. If not, Adams gets the keys and we hope he can drive the car from day one.

Reaction Score
If Gibbs comes (hate saying or thinking but...) I wouldn't doubt against certain teams you could see a line up of Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton and Miller at times. Would be fast and athletic as hell.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
If Gibbs comes (hate saying or thinking but...) I wouldn't doubt against certain teams you could see a line up of Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton and Miller at times. Would be fast and athletic as hell.

Now our Mau is starting to believe! Look, Tinker Bell is coming back to life. We need everyone out there to believe!

Reaction Score
Purvis may see his crunch time minutes diminish if he's still hovering around 50% at the line.

(May???)

Reaction Score
Purvis may see his crunch time minutes diminish if he's still hovering around 50% at the line.

(May???)
Hopefully he brings is percentage up to a level where this is moot (though I'm skeptical he will).

But either way, I have a hard time seeing Purvis on the bench in crunch time. He was probably UConn's best or second best crunch-time scorer and had a knack for hitting clutch 3s...even in games where he couldn't seem to hit anything.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Hopefully he brings is percentage up to a level where this is moot (though I'm skeptical he will).

But either way, I have a hard time seeing Purvis on the bench in crunch time. He was probably UConn's best or second best crunch-time scorer and had a knack for hitting clutch 3s...even in games where he couldn't seem to hit anything.

Even when he was having high scoring games, Rodney was up and down with his decision-making and ball handling. I think that his ability to keep himself calm and focused will determine how good he plays next year. If we were to sign Gibbs and he is as good as people say, I can see there being a lot more competition between our players about who is in the game down the stretch. FTs will be big for RP as well. To me, the biggest thing is that we will need players who can handle the ball and handle pressure with few mistakes. I am hoping that RP and DH both improve a great deal in that area by next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom