Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Gibbs Announcing He Will Transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Gibbs comes (hate saying or thinking but...) I wouldn't doubt against certain teams you could see a line up of Adams, Gibbs, Purvis, Hamilton and Miller at times. Would be fast and athletic as hell.

I'm salivating. :)

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
His FT shooting improved dramatically at the end of the season so I wouldn't expect that to continue to be an issue

Agreed. Purvis is a good shooter and has a good-looking stroke. His poor FT shooting seemed to be all mental. Towards the end of the year he had a noticeably faster routine at the line and that definitely helped him. He got to the line, got set, took 1 dribble and put up the shot. The faster routine didn't allow him the time to over-think at the line and let his natural mechanics take over.
Hopefully he can keep it up because he will be at the line a lot with his style of play. Needs to knock em down for easy points.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Agreed. Purvis is a good shooter and has a good-looking stroke. His poor FT shooting seemed to be all mental. Towards the end of the year he had a noticeably faster routine at the line and that definitely helped him. He got to the line, got set, took 1 dribble and put up the shot. The faster routine didn't allow him the time to over-think at the line and let his natural mechanics take over.
Hopefully he can keep it up because he will be at the line a lot with his style of play. Needs to knock em down for easy points.

Yes, his FT% improved dramatically the last 10-12 games.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
His FT shooting improved dramatically at the end of the season so I wouldn't expect that to continue to be an issue
He went 17-for-24 from the line over the final month of the season. His best game was 7-for-7, his worst was 2-for-5.

The big issue was that he wasn't consistent in attacking the paint and actually getting to the line. Half his games over the final 12 were 0-for-0.

Reaction Score
But either way, I have a hard time seeing Purvis on the bench in crunch time. He was probably UConn's best or second best crunch-time scorer and had a knack for hitting clutch 3s...even in games where he couldn't seem to hit anything.

OK, we can break down "crunch time" a little finer that than.

If we're losing, you have Purvis in the game, so he can hit the clutch 3 we need to tie or take the lead.

If we're winning, you have him on the bench, replaced by Sam Cassell, who's a better FT shooter for the inevitable fouling.

Reaction Score
I hope the end of the season success continues, but I don't think people should bank on it just yet.

Rodney's played almost 70 collegiate games and taken 160 free throws. At the moment, he's hitting just 52.5% of them.

Hopefully his struggles are behind him, but I think we'll need more than a month to draw that conclusion.

Reaction Score
Slight reprise:

Stayin' alive, Stayin' alive

Fm7 Bb7 Fm7 Bb7 Fm7
A h h a h a h a, S tayin' alive, Stayin' alive

Fm7 Bb7 Fm7 Bb7 Fm Eb/F Fm Cm7
A h h a h a h a, S tayin' ali ---- ---- ve

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Slight reprise:

Fm7 Bb7 Fm7 Bb7 Fm7

As someone who played that song the other night, I just want to put it out there for any other aging musician whores for hire the above chart is incorrect for guitar.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Slight reprise:

Fm7 Bb7 Fm7 Bb7 Fm7

As someone who played that song the other night, I just want to put it out there for any other aging musician whores for hire the above chart is incorrect for guitar.
Here you go:

Reaction Score
Completely different players in that JA is a more complete offensive package with a court vision beyond what RP could offer. RP may be more physical but that also comes with more years on this earth. IF Gibbs comes to UConn, by December, it will be RP looking at a 6th man role due to his tendency to take plays off, lapse of concentration and shot selection. By bo means is this an anti RP stance BUT JA comes with so much talent and the fact that he has played with great talent at Brewster he has, I feel, a foot up.
4 star complete unknown? wow is that a plain ridiculous statement IF meant seriously.

Adams hasn't set foot on campus yet, let alone play a college game. Let's hold off on saying he is a "more complete offensive packaged with a court vision beyond what RP could offer". Purvis started 20+ games in the ACC two years ago. He scored 12 points a game, shot the 3 ball well, and showed an ability to get to the rim and finish. He's not a great distributor, but he wasn't asked to be.
Let's temper our expectations for Adams just a bit.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Adams hasn't set foot on campus yet, let alone play a college game. Let's hold off on saying he is a "more complete offensive packaged with a court vision beyond what RP could offer". Purvis started 20+ games in the ACC two years ago. He scored 12 points a game, shot the 3 ball well, and showed an ability to get to the rim and finish. He's not a great distributor, but he wasn't asked to be.
Let's temper our expectations for Adams just a bit.
Just thought I would point out that this does not make sense in a logical sort of sense. You admit he has better "court vision" and passing ability I would guess as part of the fact that JA has played the point on one of the most talented teams in the country. Who has the better handle? Let's not anoint RP as some kind of star or team leader when he has not come close to being a mature leader or heady/steady player as yet. I would suggest we temper our expectations for Rodney just a bit. I believe that he will get better, but I do not know that he can make the jump to a "go to" type of guy on this club. Same with Daniel on the offensive end -- I think his shooting will improve, but I don't know that he will become the great shooter we all desperately want him to be. It's up to them and the limits of their ability. I hope that they both make junior year Kemba-type jumps, but how many players do that?

Reaction Score
Just thought I would point out that this does not make sense in a logical sort of sense. You admit he has better "court vision" and passing ability I would guess as part of the fact that JA has played the point on one of the most talented teams in the country. Who has the better handle? Let's not anoint RP as some kind of star or team leader when he has not come close to being a mature leader or heady/steady player as yet. I would suggest we temper our expectations for Rodney just a bit. I believe that he will get better, but I do not know that he can make the jump to a "go to" type of guy on this club. Same with Daniel on the offensive end -- I think his shooting will improve, but I don't know that he will become the great shooter we all desperately want him to be. It's up to them and the limits of their ability. I hope that they both make junior year Kemba-type jumps, but how many players do that?

No I don't admit Adams has better court vision than Purivs. I haven't seen Adams play in a game, let alone a college game. So I have no idea. Your logic is "Adams is highly rated, we've seen nothing of him, and fans like overhyping incoming players". Literally, that is your logic (whether or not you want to admit it).

And I'm not appointing Purvis the team star. I just think he will start over a true freshman. I don't think Purvis has to improve to be better than Adams next year. Purivs was a pretty good starter last year. Plenty of room for improvement, but still pretty good.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
No I don't admit Adams has better court vision than Purivs. I haven't seen Adams play in a game, let alone a college game. So I have no idea. Your logic is "Adams is highly rated, we've seen nothing of him, and fans like overhyping incoming players". Literally, that is your logic (whether or not you want to admit it).

And I'm not appointing Purvis the team star. I just think he will start over a true freshman. I don't think Purvis has to improve to be better than Adams next year. Purivs was a pretty good starter last year. Plenty of room for improvement, but still pretty good.
No, that is not my logic. We have seen a lot of video of Jalen and even in the selective world of highlight videos, you can see the skills and athleticism that he has. He may not be ready to jump in and play at a consistently high level when he arrives, but he could be pretty darn good by January or February. I want them both to play well and I expect Rodney will be a productive player. Most of last year he was error prone and very inconsistent. I want to see him be steadier and more focused on both sides of the ball.

Reaction Score
I don't see Eric Katenda listed. Did he leave the program?
That would be the rumor. Edit: he hasn't officially left though.
http://notredame.scout.com/story/1534649-let-the-building-process-begin
From April 5th:

"A SCHOLARSHIP TO GIVE
Notre Dame’s scouting for the Class of 2015-16 is not done. The Irish still have a scholarship available with just 12 players on grant-in-aid this past season and walk-on Matt Gregory.

“We have another scholarship to give and I feel like it’s our job to fill that if we can find the right fit,” Solomon said. “Coach (Brey) will spend some more time evaluating. We have to evaluate our current roster and see if there’s someone out there that we’d like to add to our program.”"

Can't find much on Katenda, specifically.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
No, that is not my logic. We have seen a lot of video of Jalen and even in the selective world of highlight videos, you can see the skills and athleticism that he has. He may not be ready to jump in and play at a consistently high level when he arrives, but he could be pretty darn good by January or February. I want them both to play well and I expect Rodney will be a productive player. Most of last year he was error prone and very inconsistent. I want to see him be steadier and more focused on both sides of the ball.
I've watched two of Jalen's games. He's had turnovers and bad shooting streaks. So he has been inconsistent in some categories of play. I actually felt that Rodney's defense was good last season and it was consistent. There is room for improvement particularly with defensive rebounding, but he was infrequently a liability. And although I only watched two complete games the biggest concern I have regarding Jalen is his defense.

My opinion is that Rodney's mistakes are not physical but mental. He has the bb IQ but lacks confidence. That is not a problem with Jalen. He has bb IQ and confidence. He just needs more time to reduce mistakes. The thing he needs to work on the most is defense. That is why I'm hoping we land Sterling. This reduces the pressure for Jalen to hit the ground running.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...gibbs-will-change-fortunes-of-some-lucky-team

"
1. Sterling Gibbs could have a DeAndre Kane-like impact next season.

Two years ago Iowa State was a borderline NCAA team before adding DeAndre Kane as an immediately eligible transfer. His addition propelled the Cyclones to the 2014 Big 12 tournament title and a berth in the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16. Sterling Gibbs could have a similar type of impact depending on where he lands next season. The 6-foot-2 guard is arguably the sexiest name on college basketball's free agent market because he can transfer without sitting out a season and is coming off a year where he averaged 16.3 points and 3.8 assists at Seton Hall . Gibbs also made 75 shots from deep and made an impressive 43.6 percent from long distance while also showing a penchant for making big shots in crunch time. This is a big loss for Seton Hall, but it's going to be a huge addition for somebody else next season. Gibbs is still working to cut his list and set visits."

Reaction Score
The Gibbs saga could continue until late June. He does need to find the right grad program. And, get accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom