Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

caw

Reaction Score
Great win. Georgetown is an awesome team who will do some damage in the tourney. I think Uconn moves to top 15 in the polls next week

Better than losing like 15 of the top 25 did this week.

I am sure you would prefer UConn lost to one of the following: VaTech, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, UAB, BC, Nevada, Maryland, Texas Tech or Florida.

So yes, UConn will move up even with mediocre wins, top 20 probably.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen the game yet and from the posts here I'm not sure that I will. That said, I noticed that not a single post mentioned Clingan. Did he play?

Yes, but not particularly well. I was struck by the way that Wahab went over him for jumpers without DC being able to do anything to stop him. In fact, Wahab grabbed the offensive rebound just before he took that 2nd shot.

Reaction Score
Yes, but not particularly well. I was struck by the way that Wahab went over him for jumpers without DC being able to do anything to stop him. In fact, Wahab grabbed the offensive rebound just before he took that 2nd shot.

Seems like he's having a hard time balancing aggressively blocking shots, and not fouling. He also gets more BS fouls called on him than anyone i've seen this season.

Reaction Score
Haven't seen the game yet and from the posts here I'm not sure that I will. That said, I noticed that not a single post mentioned Clingan. Did he play?
Clingan had a tough time against GTown a 2 nd time. He had 2 nice assists but for the most part was ineffective

Reaction Score
Clingan had a tough time against GTown a 2 nd time. He had 2 nice assists but for the most part was ineffective
He just has to dunk when he’s close enough. He should never be blocked or miss from 2’.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Creighton, Marquette and UConn all had tough games against inferior opponents. They also all won. There are very few “bad” wins in February.

Reaction Score
To me, there was nothing encouraging about this. They should easily beat Georgetown, and they did not. End of story. They have not been playing well and continued that trend.
I disagree. I think winning a close game helped this team more than winning by blowout. They need to win some close, tight pressure packed games before the tournament. A win like this was exactly what they needed.

Reaction Score
Now that the immediate overreactions to a close win instead of a blowout win are gone, a few encouraging signs I saw today apart from the obvious

- I liked the change (I think it was, can't remember it happening a ton before) of using Jackson in the paint when Sanogo gets doubled. Got Andre an open layup (that he missed) and a Jackson assist to Calcaterra on his 3. Makes for an easier pass for Sanogo instead of him trying to hit guys all around the 3 point line

- Only half credit here, because it quickly changed. But at one point in the 2nd half we sat Hawkins and Sanogo but kept Newton in with the bench guys. Thought to myself that it was a time we needed Newton to take over and he got 2 layups at the basket before he got subbed out a minute later. Would like to see some more of Newton with the bench guys and let him take over driving/dishing to Clingan at the rim

Reaction Score
We don't seem to have any specific offensive plays for Clingan. He just acts as a clean-up guy so far. We also didn't play the twin towers together or switch to a zone where he might be more effective especially on defense. Man to man at this point is perhaps Clingan's most difficult role.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Creighton, Marquette and UConn all had tough games against inferior opponents. They also all won. There are very few “bad” wins in February.
Yep. I think a significant portion of this fanbase doesn’t pay attention to college basketball outside of UConn. And they only watch UConn when they’re really good.
They hopped on the bandwagon when we were a top 10 team, and now that they’re invested they think the sky is falling because we’re 7-6 in the 3rd best conference in the country.

Reaction Score

This is such an asinine tweet. People have been whining about the defense and we held Georgetown to 9 points less than their season average, despite the fact that they shot 44% from three. We got Andre going again, we finished with 20 assists, we won the rebound battle, we performed down the stretch and won a close game. Literally nobody had a good shooting day and we're still able to get a crucial conference road win. It seems like people just want to be upset and watch the games with absolutely 0 nuance.

Reaction Score
I thought Gtown played pretty well. The Hoya's were shooting 30% from 3 in conference play but shot 44% against us. Always tough to play the second of 2 road games in row.

Reaction Score
Gtown has been close in 5 out of their last 6 games. (-10 to Creighton, +4 vs Depaul). They're not good, for sure. But they're not nearly as bad as they were in prior years.

I'm not overwhelmingly proud of a 6 point road win, but i'm not too bummed about it either. It's a 6 point conference road win, no more, no less.

Reaction Score
Gtown has been close in 5 out of their last 6 games. (-10 to Creighton, +4 vs Depaul). They're not good, for sure. But they're not nearly as bad as they were in prior years.

I'm not overwhelmingly proud of a 6 point road win, but i'm not too bummed about it either. It's a 6 point conference road win, no more, no less.
They're still bad, but since conference play has started they're a respectable bad team as opposed to the total disaster they've been. Butler on the other hand...

280422C0-6FFC-44E0-A9CD-BB49415A1737.jpeg

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
It's not even whether GT is good or bad but how the teams matchup, we'd already seen previously that they can keep a tight game against the Huskies.

Honestly I feel encouraged - it was tight game as I expected but even when we went down I wasn't as worried as I've been previous weeks. I felt they were playing better although the first half had some basic TO errors and there were a couple bad misses - but these guys aren't machines either. Adama dunked! AJ played pretty well but I'm still in the camp it might be better to have him come off the bench at the first switch and have him play it out just so we don't start slowly and so the opposing team will have a bit harder time adjusting. I was very happy to see him make that 3 though.

The final score isn't what I would have guessed by the gameplay, it felt like we should have won by more but I guess the lack of FTs was really the difference. Not sure if it was just home game reffing or that there was a bit less lane driving than the prior two games. Considering how good are main three guys are at the line it's something to keep working on.

Murray looks strong, like Adama strong - thankfully not as good though. Was not a good matchup for Clingan and I don't think he was paired against Wahab at all? I hope Clingan pumps some iron over the summer :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom