Geno's Successor? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Geno's Successor?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Oh they could, but would they?
View attachment 67424
Like Triad said, our AD is pretty bad right now, minus women’s sports. WBB is the shining beacon of hope... we’d open the friggin bank to keep Staley. You see how easily LSU threw 2 million at Mulkey, we’d do the same to keep Staley rolling. She literally owns our athletic department right now, as far as influence. She gets what she wants, few questions asked.

Reaction Score
Let’s see how she answers the questions that will eventually be asked.
Titles are the answer.
Will she deliver?

Reaction Score
Just remember, UConn wasn't looking for a Geno when they hired Geno - they just got incredibly lucky. Odds are, no matter how much they invest in trying to replace him, they'll drop down to the Depaul/Marquette level in short order.
Really! Are you just writing? If so, then your certainty requires no grounding. And so you have cited one in a billion possibilities.

Reaction Score
I think Uconn will stay in the family when Geno leaves...if not though, what do you think about Curt Miller? Maybe that would intrigue him assuming hes still in CT.

Reaction Score
When and how Geno (and Tara, etc.) bows out might not be so significant for the future. It will be for them and what they have done. The entire college-sports nexus is already in motion to something that is radically different than what we know. Some schools/conferences may start paying (legally) players and thereby competing with private clubs, or you may have a system that we have in Europe. The Ivy League model may replicate to other schools-- the current BE is a variation. Uconn is an interesting school because it, the State and the Region (as I recalled) have never fully bought into the craze that is so prevalent in other regions. And would it be that bad if Uconn plays in the BE with the students it admit?
But if you still want the old model, convince Reeves(sp) from Minn to take the job.She might welcome the change-- and she likes Uconn players. And she is one of the best in player development. It is the latter that have kept Uconn on the map-- not Geno the man. He really teaches bb-- even a bb dunce like me can see it. Reeves does the same in Minn.

Reaction Score
Really! Are you just writing? If so, then your certainty requires no grounding. And so you have cited one in a billion possibilities.
Yes, he has cited one in a billion possibilities, but in my view, it is a possibility enormously more
probable than the possibility that Shea or Cheryl Reeve or whomever can take over and maintain
the same level of excellence that Geno has established. I don't believe it will be that easy.

Reaction Score
Stepping in as Geno's successor might not be as desirable as many of you might think. It is not easy following a Legend. UConn is Geno and Geno is UConn. It is he that makes UConn a desired destination. Remove him and all that mystic goes with him. A proven high profile coach who already had established a strong program would have no reason to leave to coach at UConn. The best case scenario would be for Geno to bring in a promising prospect as an assistant with the promise of taking over the progame after a specific length of time. This assistant could then continue Geno's system. I think Geno would be a much better judge of who to leave the team too than Pat was.

Reaction Score
Stepping in as Geno's successor might not be as desirable as many of you might think. It is not easy following a Legend. UConn is Geno and Geno is UConn. It is he that makes UConn a desired destination. Remove him and all that mystic goes with him. A proven high profile coach who already had established a strong program would have no reason to leave to coach at UConn. The best case scenario would be for Geno to bring in a promising prospect as an assistant with the promise of taking over the progame after a specific length of time. This assistant could then continue Geno's system. I think Geno would be a much better judge of who to leave the team too than Pat was.
Lightning doesn't strike twice. It won't matter who comes next.

Reaction Score
I disagree.
There is a very strong foundation in place to continue the UCONN WAY.
Grueling practices.
Intense competition among players dedicated to being the best.
Egos checked at the door for the good of team purpose.
Endless repetition.
Team members that dreamt of wearing a Husky Uniform.
Incredible opportunities available after UCONN playing days are over<—situation virtually absent at other top tier programs.
BUT- replacement cannot come in cold.
Next head coach must be brought in several years before Geno’s exit to enable an orderly transfer. This will insure continued success and an uninterrupted talent pipeline.
Think of it as a relay runner passing the baton to the next Teammate.
A successful coaching transition at UCONN will greatly enhance Geno’s legacy.
( and do not think for a moment he isn’t aware of this)
JMHO

Reaction Score
Knowing one of our great's just got married & I presume a eventual family is on their mind, & just fantasizing that she would be available, wouldn't 'Maya Moore' make a great replacement for coach Geno ? Sorry, just dreaming !

Reaction Score
I disagree.
There is a very strong foundation in place to continue the UCONN WAY.
Grueling practices.
Intense competition among players dedicated to being the best.
Egos checked at the door for the good of team purpose.
Endless repetition.
Team members that dreamt of wearing a Husky Uniform.
Incredible opportunities available after UCONN playing days are over<—situation virtually absent at other top tier programs.
BUT- replacement cannot come in cold.
Next head coach must be brought in several years before Geno’s exit to enable an orderly transfer. This will insure continued success and an uninterrupted talent pipeline.

Think of it as a relay runner passing the baton to the next Teammate.
A successful coaching transition at UCONN will greatly enhance Geno’s legacy.
( and do not think for a moment he isn’t aware of this)
JMHO
Did you read all of my post. I pretty much said the same thing you stated. That would be the best case scenario. However, it could never be the same because the new players coming out of high school are a different breed. Even Geno was fiding it difficult to run his program as effectively as he did before. His reprutation makes it much easier to get players on board with his system. A new coach might still be successful but not to the degree that Geno was. If it gets a bit tough they can just bail and go to another school now. The number of players that put up with a hard core system has really diminished. Most of the individual skill development has already been done before they get to college. As Geno said most of the players already know how to, they just need to learn when to. -- or to integrate their individual skill set in to the team concept.

If you think I am wrong about the new type of player with a different perspective all we have to do is consider Paige's statement about wanting to be eligable for the draft right out of high school.

Reaction Score
Why would Dawn Staley consider leaving South Carolina for UConn? South Carolina is a much easier place to recruit and is in a much better conference. Wouldn't happen.
Who would want Dawn Staley at Uconn ? I wouldn't !!!! She can't stand Uconn. And we don't want championships handed to us we win them at Uconn !!!!!

Reaction Score
A long winded version of just saying that Geno should have a coach in waiting on the staff.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A long winded version of just saying that Geno should have a coach in waiting on the staff.
:eek: That's what you got out of it? If that's the case shouldn't Geno hire Dawn as an assistant coach?

Reaction Score
:eek: That's what you got out of it? If that's the case shouldn't Geno hire Dawn as an assistant coach?
A proven high profile coach who already had established a strong program would have no reason to leave to coach at UConn. The best case scenario would be for Geno to bring in a promising prospect as an assistant with the promise of taking over the progame after a specific length of time.

Yes that what I got out of it. Florida St for college football had a coach-in waiting for a few years until their long time head coach Bobby Bowden retired.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom