Geno's Successor? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno's Successor?

Reaction Score
Nothing (absolutely nothing) in your careful summary of Dawn’s accomplishments holds water. And, at the risk of sounding offensive, I suggest you don’t really know UConn at all. We practice til we can’t get it wrong and we don’t recruit dopes. We are UConn...pretty sure you’re not.
OUCH.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Granted the obvious point someone made that Dawn would have no reason to leave South Carolina. None. And granted that her style would alienate many UConn fans. CVS continues to alienate Rutgers fans from the Grentz era and it has been 25 years. It doesn't change the fact that Dawn is indeed a very good coach. She's no Geno - but then, who is?

But the truth is, as many have said, it is just too early. When the time comes, I'll watch with interest. It is going to depend, I would think, on how much input to the decision Geno has; how important his legacy (and his coaching tree) is to the folks making the decision and who (at that point) has given an indication that they might be successful at the job. Thankfully as a non-UConn fan, I won't be invested to live and die with every suggestion.

You all note the "too early" rankings for the next year, this would be a 'too early" thread at this point.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Rarely has Geno gone outside of the "family" for an assistant coach. With all of the former players still in the game (coaching/broadcasting/playing), It would be sad if UConn had to go outside to find a qualified and able successor. I think it's way too early to be thinking about Geno's successor. He just indicated this past season that he's not even contemplating retirement at this time. Perhaps 7-10 years, when Geno is ready to retire, there will be more than enough qualified coaches with UConn a pedigree waiting in the wings to replace him. Then, we can seriously think about his successor. When he leaves, players will come to UConn to play for his successor, not his legacy, or the university.

UConn will never the the same after he and CD leave. Whoever succeeds him will have a GIANT shadow over their shoulder and the program for several years, similar to the one endured by the UCLA men's team when "Gene Bartow" succeeded the legendary Naismith Hall of Fame coach John Wooden in 1975. The expectations were too much for Bartow, he only lasted 2 seasons. He left after UCLA lost to "unranked" Idaho State by a point in the Sweet Sixteen. Whoever takes over had better win 30+ games a year and go deep into the tournament, or face constant undaunting scrutiny and ire from fans and the media. UConn Nation is spoiled, and will except nothing less than a real and sustained run at the national championship every year. Losing will not be tolerated! :mad:

Elite players/recruits are now willing to go to LSU because Kim Mulkey is there, not because it's LSU. If Geno left for another school, recruits would still want to play FOR HIM!! Not to be rude, this is a liberal forum, post what you will, but we've got what may be Geno's best team since the 2001 coming in.

The last thing I want to think about right now is Geno not coaching this team. That day will come. We'll deal with it when it does. Now and this summer I want to contemplate on our team individually and collectively. Geno has got a juggernaut coming in. I want to spend the summer swimming in the cool relaxing pool of unbridled optimism. I really believe THIS team has a real legitimate chance of raising the national championship trophy the next two years. I think THIS is the year UConn goes back to being "real bad" for WCBB.
Amen!!!!

Reaction Score
Speculation is fun, I guess, but I would guess Geno will coach until 70 at the earliest. I always assumed that Shea was being groomed to take over when that day comes. But what do I know? About as much as anyone else. Zip.

Reaction Score
Boneyard discussions about potential successors to Geno have focussed upon former Uconn players who have successfully transitioned to coaching. And I wonder: why the emphasis on former Uconn players? The Uconn brand is akin the that of the Steinbrenner Yankees. Geno's successor should be the best coach in WCBB period. In my view, that is Dawn Staley. She has worked with Geno on the national team, she has won a national title, she has the ability to recruit top notch players, and she is 51. She is a graduate of UVA so query whether her loyalty to South Carolina is complete. Sure it would cost - USC compensates Staley very well. But Uconn is the historical Top Dog. When Geno decides to retire, Dawn Staley should be his successor.
Dawn is an average coach but a good recruiter.

Reaction Score
UConn is an elite team, not a bottom of the barrel of a team when Geno and Chris took over. No way Dawn Staley is picked for the job. It will be someone with incredible basketball sense, organizational sense, and communication ability. Don't think the coach is on staff. Look to Princeton. Carla Berube 26-1 in her first year, without Bella Alarie, their best player. She has all the coaching traits someone would need to succeed Geno.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Shea is at Vanderbilt to get HC experience then will be headed back to UCONN for the HC position once he and CD retire.. that’s just my 2 cents.. ?
Just a thought.......I wonder how closely Shea’s practices will mirror Geno’s? ?

Reaction Score
UConn is an elite team, not a bottom of the barrel of a team when Geno and Chris took over. No way Dawn Staley is picked for the job. It will be someone with incredible basketball sense, organizational sense, and communication ability. Don't think the coach is on staff. Look to Princeton. Carla Berube 26-1 in her first year, without Bella Alarie, their best player. She has all the coaching traits someone would need to succeed Geno.
Bella Alarie was on Carla's team.

Reaction Score
Brand name is also important. Look at what just the weight of Kara Lawson’s name and reputation has done in the portal. Kids know who she is and I don’t doubt she’ll have success recruiting. Recruiting is half the battle in WCBB. I honestly go back to Lobo in my head for some reason. Kids would want to play for her, and she basically put the program on the map. The only issue being she’s never coached. Shea is the other name that comes to mind. A lot will depend on how she recruits at Vandy.

Reaction Score
OK, your the AD. What are the top qualifications you would be looking for? some thoughts:

1. best recruiter available with great name recognition
2. top motivator
3. mega hoops knowledge
4. proven track record
5. connection to UCONN

Reaction Score
I know you have someone else in mind. Don't be so polite, tell us. The Uconn ego is so big (read the Thread again) that you have already stepped on it by holding out. No no. I'm not thinking of that person, but the younger one. Pair her up (again) with Lobo, and you would be 'the talk of the town.' Why resist that!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just a thought.......I wonder how closely Shea’s practices will mirror Geno’s? ?
Geno invites other coaches to watch his program all the time. It’s one thing to know what he does and another to reproduce it. If Shea can do that she should be the number one choice for his replacement.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
The question is how can Uconn continue its dominance when the master retires? The answer is it may not, at least not right away. When the top recruits are asked why they chose Uconn to begin their college careers, they state two reasons. One, its Uconn, the school they have grown up watching, the school that always wins. Two, its Geno, the HOF coach that will make them future WNBA players. Which carries more weight? I suspect that these players would follow Geno if he opted to coach at another school, but would they still go to Uconn if the same were true? Uconn is Geno, but Geno is only Uconn if he is there.
If recruits want to continue to flock to Uconn there has to be a coach that they will identify with winning, and I don't believe there is a big time coach that would take on that pressure cold turkey. The coach that takes over should already be on the staff, someone who the players are familiar with, who they already trust can help coach them to their aspirations. Geno must put them in the spotlight, make them appear more than an assistant coach. They have to be recognized as a top coach themselves, and possibly identified early on as his successor in the future when he does hang it up. Cold turkey won't work, the transition has to be gradual. Just because the new coach may be already on the staff, doesn't mean we will repeat Tennessees mistake. We trust Genos judgement, and with his grooming the transition can be smooth and successful.
As far as Dawn, her teams aren't close to Uconns style or values, so don't make me laugh, or even worse, scare me.

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
Boneyard discussions about potential successors to Geno have focussed upon former Uconn players who have successfully transitioned to coaching. And I wonder: why the emphasis on former Uconn players? The Uconn brand is akin the that of the Steinbrenner Yankees. Geno's successor should be the best coach in WCBB period. In my view, that is Dawn Staley. She has worked with Geno on the national team, she has won a national title, she has the ability to recruit top notch players, and she is 51. She is a graduate of UVA so query whether her loyalty to South Carolina is complete. Sure it would cost - USC compensates Staley very well. But Uconn is the historical Top Dog. When Geno decides to retire, Dawn Staley should be his successor.
PLEASE, No Dawn Staley.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The question is how can Uconn continue its dominance when the master retires? The answer is it may not, at least not right away. When the top recruits are asked why they chose Uconn to begin their college careers, they state two reasons. One, its Uconn, the school they have grown up watching, the school that always wins. Two, its Geno, the HOF coach that will make them future WNBA players. Which carries more weight? I suspect that these players would follow Geno if he opted to coach at another school, but would they still go to Uconn if the same were true? Uconn is Geno, but Geno is only Uconn if he is there.
If recruits want to continue to flock to Uconn there has to be a coach that they will identify with winning, and I don't believe there is a big time coach that would take on that pressure cold turkey. The coach that takes over should already be on the staff, someone who the players are familiar with, who they already trust can help coach them to their aspirations. Geno must put them in the spotlight, make them appear more than an assistant coach. They have to be recognized as a top coach themselves, and possibly identified early on as his successor in the future when he does hang it up. Cold turkey won't work, the transition has to be gradual. Just because the new coach may be already on the staff, doesn't mean we will repeat Tennessees mistake. We trust Genos judgement, and with his grooming the transition can be smooth and successful.
As far as Dawn, her teams aren't close to Uconns style or values, so don't make me laugh, or even worse, scare me.
Well said Bald Huskie, well said! ?

Carnac

Reaction Score
PLEASE, No Dawn Staley.
I actually like Dawn and wish her well except when we play them, but I don’t want to see her succeed Geno anymore than I would Kim Mulkey or Tara VanDerveer. We can take care of our own house. We don’t need an outside housekeeper to come in.

As mentioned, Tennessee has displayed for us in “vivid” HD color, what can happen to an elite program (a rapid decay, player defections, falling completely out of the top 25) if you choose the wrong person to succeed a legend. Learn from the mistakes of others.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
I have been wondering about this as well. Even if her practices mirror Geno's the big question to me, do the players react to her the same way they do to Geno? I find it hard to think so. Many coaches have come to observe and learn at the masters practices. None have been able to get the same results over the long haul.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Geno invites other coaches to watch his program all the time. It’s one thing to know what he does and another to reproduce it. If Shea can do that camera she should be the number one choice for his replacement.
Sorry posted after reading Carnac's post before seeing your post. Obviously I endorse your ideas, can't believe how bright you are.:rolleyes:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sorry posted after reading Carnac's post before seeing your post. Obviously I endorse your ideas, can't believe how bright you are.:rolleyes:
Thank You Too Back At Ya GIF by AdHawk

Reaction Score
Nothing (absolutely nothing) in your careful summary of Dawn’s accomplishments holds water. And, at the risk of sounding offensive, I suggest you don’t really know UConn at all. We practice til we can’t get it wrong and we don’t recruit dopes. We are UConn...pretty sure you’re not.
Right. A season ticket holder for over 20 years. I was in New Orleans in 2004. But what do I know about UConn? Did I at least get Dawn Staley’s age right?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
You should get involved, since UConn’s best move will be to pilfer a successful Kara Lawson away from Duke when the time comes. :)

I can see the headlines now. Durham police called down to the Duke campus to forcefully remove a irate middle-aged Duke WBB fan who has chained himself to the front door of Coach Kara Lawson's office. :confused: :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
Shea is at Vanderbilt to get HC experience then will be headed back to UCONN for the HC position once he and CD retire.. that’s just my 2 cents.. ?
That's what it's worth, 2 cents.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom