Geno's Successor? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno's Successor?

Reaction Score
Davis seems like a great guy... but fortunately the good blue is gonna be kicking some baby blue arse for the next few years until he gets up to speed.
Could be. How many more years does your guy have left?
BTW I worked Coach K's camp in Durham back in the summer of 1983 I think. Met Jeff Mullins and Gene Banks. Stayed in the dorms. Played in the counselor games in Cameron. Pretty cool. I took a charge on Coach K and called it. He's a little point guard and he drove through the lane from the top. Not sure he liked me much after that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Like you said, South Carolina can more easily afford to pay her anything that UCONN can come up with. But see the first point.
Oh they could, but would they?
1620940123441.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
View attachment 67424
They probably would watch.. South Carolina is pretty much garbage at most of their athletics... so they have to have something to look forward to.. and that is WBB.

Your coach is mixed with what??

I had a comment, but I aint trying to get suspended or banned before August 26 :rolleyes:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Could be. How many more years does your guy have left?
BTW I worked Coach K's camp in Durham back in the summer of 1983 I think. Met Jeff Mullins and Gene Banks. Stayed in the dorms. Played in the counselor games in Cameron. Pretty cool. I took a charge on Coach K and called it. He's a little point guard and he drove through the lane from the top. Not sure he liked me much after that.

I'd give him 3 more years. His grandson is on the team..... he won't retire before his grandson graduates. Gene Banks came to our church one Sunday when I was a youngster. I believe I got his autograph... as he was my favorite player when I first started to watch College Basketball.

CL82

Reaction Score
They probably would watch.. South Carolina is pretty much garbage at most of their athletics... so they have to have something to look forward to.. and that is WBB.

Your coach is mixed with what??

I had a comment, but I aint trying to get suspended or banned before August 26 :rolleyes:
SC made a play for Jim Calhoun, if I recall. They are definitely committed to bringing in quality coaches. I'm not sure how high they'd go for WBB coach though.

Reaction Score
I'd give him 3 more years. His grandson is on the team..... he won't retire before his grandson graduates. Gene Banks came to our church one Sunday when I was a youngster. I believe I got his autograph... as he was my favorite player when I first started to watch College Basketball.
100% I liked that team that went to the final game. Spanarkel still looks like he could play.

Reaction Score
SC made a play for Jim Calhoun, if I recall. They are definitely committed to bringing in quality coaches. I'm not sure how high they'd go for WBB coach though.
Remember "the Ball Coach", Steve Spurrier. We had him with the Redskins for a while.

CL82

Reaction Score
Remember "the Ball Coach", Steve Spurrier. We had him with the Redskins for a while.
I sure do remember Spurrier. He was that sad looking fellow on the sideline of the 2010 PapaJohn's Bowl

1620941893219.png

“We missed things the whole day. Passes, tackles,” Spurrier said. “I’m embarrassed. Blame me. It was a sad, sad effort, especially the offense.”

UConn 20 - South Carolina 7

Reaction Score
Thanks for that. My reference was regional and I said so.
Maybe you could help explain to me why UConn would not then be a fit for the ACC (Cuse and BC) or the Big 10 (Rutgers, Penn St, MD). Being a huge UConn WCBB fan I would love to see that!
Dude do you not know the whole Gene DeFillippo (BC) story and Miami not wanting a far away northern school?
Well documented. UCONN had a lot of support to be in ACC but a few key voices didnt want them (for completely selfish reasons) and other options were available. Most sane people admit adding BC and Syracuse were not great choices and UCONN would have been a much better add.
It was largely a football decision.
Cant believe people still have no idea what went on. This has been discussed over and over again.

Reaction Score
Don't really want to like this but it's a likely scenario.
No. Those programs fell apart completely.
UCONN may not be quite the dominant force that it is now BUT it can still be excellent with the right coach.

GG

Reaction Score
No. Those programs fell apart completely.
UCONN may not be quite the dominant force that it is now BUT it can still be excellent with the right coach.
I agree. I expect some drop off because it is almost impossible to duplicate Geno’s success. That being said, the right coach can maintain a top 10 or 20 program at UCONN. But it’s going to take one confident coach willing to accept that challenge.

Reaction Score
Dude do you not know the whole Gene DeFillippo (BC) story and Miami not wanting a far away northern school?
Well documented. UCONN had a lot of support to be in ACC but a few key voices didnt want them (for completely selfish reasons) and other options were available. Most sane people admit adding BC and Syracuse were not great choices and UCONN would have been a much better add.
Cant believe people still have no idea what went on. This has been discussed over and over again.
I'm a Marylander. I'm still trying to figure out why UMD, an absolutely perfect fit for the ACC is now in the Big 10. Locality doesn't even matter anymore. I've actually driven to WVU to see a big football game (6 hour drive) and they're in the same conference with all those Texas and Oklahoma schools.
Dude, I'm off to study, so I can keep up with the likes of you. Ease up on the caffeinated drinks!

Reaction Score
I'm a Marylander. I'm still trying to figure out why UMD, an absolutely perfect fit for the ACC is now in the Big 10. Locality doesn't even matter anymore. I've actually driven to WVU to see a big football game (6 hour drive) and they're in the same conference with all those Texas and Oklahoma schools.
Dude, I'm off to study, so I can keep up with the likes of you. Ease up on the caffeinated drinks!
OK. Understood.
I just get annoyed when I think that people believe that a BC, Maryland, Syracuse, Pitt, RU etc. are somehow better than UCONN and thats why they are in the ACC or B10.
Decision was almost entirely all football and demographics related and NOT related to academic or on field excellence/ success. UCONN has been TOP 20-25 Public University for some time now with sports excellence in MANY areas. If the decision was based on sports or academics, UCONN would have been in.
The schools that made it in to ACC/B10 were NOTHING MORE THAN 1000% LUCKY!

Reaction Score
OK. Understood.
I just get annoyed when I think that people believe that a BC, Maryland, Syracuse, Pitt, RU etc. are somehow better than UCONN and thats why they are in the ACC or B10.
Decision was almost entirely all football and demographics related and NOT related to academic or on field excellence/ success. UCONN has been TOP 20-25 Public University for some time now with sports excellence in MANY areas. If the decision was based on sports or academics, UCONN would have been in.
The schools that made it in to ACC/B10 were NOTHING MORE THAN 1000% LUCKY!
There's a reason for it. Would be a fun project to figure out how and why things have been arranged the way they are. Good primary source document project for my HS students. There's a reason that I do not think of UConn as a "power 5 school". (of course they are WCBB)
School population is less than UMD but not by much, about the same as UNC, appreciably more than Duke.
I understand the shuffling around the last few years with the power 5. I think this thinking happened a while ago.
The ACC was formed in 1953, the Big 10 1896. Forgot to echo your football, football, football thoughts. 100%.
Apparently UConn played football in the Yankee Conference from 1946-1996. That's 50 years. That's how dumb-clucks like me think of UConn in that ilk. So I think I see some of the dynamics of how things came about. The greatest basketball conference bar none, no debate, forever and ever was the Big East of the late 70's and 80's. Every game was WWIII. Historically, did it hurt UConn's chances of ever being in what we think of as a "power 5", to play basketball in the Big East back in the day? Some of those schools were DIII in football- Georgetown for one. Villanova gave up football for a while. Long story short, without living in CT, did UConn have a real chance to build up that football infrastructure historically? How long, disregarding perceptions and what people may think, does it take to build up football like that? Some ramblings...

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I couldn't believe at the time, and I still can't believe that a school like BC, who was relatively new to the conference had so much power to submarine UConns admittance the ACC. I know coach K was firmly for their acceptance. As for Miami, I didn't know about their reluctance, but if it is true, maybe they should have a geography lesson so they know that Syracuse, BC, and Pitt are further away to ACC territory than UConn. I also believe that if Randy Edsell had stayed the football program would not have deteriorated and UConn would have been admitted years later rather than Louisville.

Reaction Score
View attachment 67424

I'm just saying that if it takes 2.7m for South Carolina to keep Dawn Staley the school can easily afford it.

Whether it would choose to do so...I don't know. It should without thinking about it, but I don't know.

I sort of doubt that UCONN will pay its next coach anything near 2.7m to start.

Reaction Score
I'm just saying that if it takes 2.7m for South Carolina to keep Dawn Staley the school can easily afford it.

Whether it would choose to do so...I don't know. It should without thinking about it, but I don't know.

If they're smart (and they are), then they will easily be able to do so.
UCONN WBB is worth many many millions of dollars to UCONN annually in total value.

CL82

Reaction Score

While I can't say for certain, head coaching salaries tend to go in one direction, up. Connecticut isn't likely to drop the salary materially, especially if hiring one of the top coaches in the nation, which Dawn Staley certainly is. I agree fully that with SEC media money coming in, South Carolina is positioned to pay as much as they'd want for the opening. I don't know their salary structure, but I wonder if Dawn getting that significant a bump would have ramifications for their other coaching positions which could make it unattractive.

Reaction Score
Could be an interesting thread: money in WCBB. I remember last year or the year prior the BY talking about the money at UConn re: WCBB. Seems that it was depicted as a deficit. I don't usually care much about $. I just like to watch the games, follow the personalities, X's and O's, etc. I holler about the Celtics needing a center and I have no idea about "cap space" and all that.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm still trying to figure out why UMD, an absolutely perfect fit for the ACC is now in the Big 10.
Obviously for the money upgrade and stability that the B1G offers. There was also a narrative that the Maryland resented Tobacco Roads influence and power in the conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
Could be an interesting thread: money in WCBB. I remember last year or the year prior the BY talking about the money at UConn re: WCBB. Seems that it was depicted as a deficit. I don't usually care much about $. I just like to watch the games, follow the personalities, X's and O's, etc. I holler about the Celtics needing a center and I have no idea about "cap space" and all that.
The current AAC deal would have moved UConn WCBB games to the ESPN+. UConn would have lost it's deal with SNY (worth about a $1M) to broadcast the games. It was less the loss of the revenue than the lack of accessibility to the games that UConn objected to. UConn WBB has a large passionate fanbase who would have lost the ability to see the games. I think that is what you are recalling.

Reaction Score
Dawn will stay at SC because that is where she can establish her own legacy. If she were to go to UConn, she would always be in Geno’s shadow. No brainer.

CL82

Reaction Score
Dawn will stay at SC because that is where she can establish her own legacy. If she were to go to UConn, she would always be in Geno’s shadow. No brainer.
SC is one of the few places in WCBB that there is little incentive to leave. Dawn is paid well, has good facilities, plays before packed houses, and competes for national champions. Why leave?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom