Geno's Successor? | The Boneyard

Geno's Successor?

Reaction Score
Boneyard discussions about potential successors to Geno have focussed upon former Uconn players who have successfully transitioned to coaching. And I wonder: why the emphasis on former Uconn players? The Uconn brand is akin the that of the Steinbrenner Yankees. Geno's successor should be the best coach in WCBB period. In my view, that is Dawn Staley. She has worked with Geno on the national team, she has won a national title, she has the ability to recruit top notch players, and she is 51. She is a graduate of UVA so query whether her loyalty to South Carolina is complete. Sure it would cost - USC compensates Staley very well. But Uconn is the historical Top Dog. When Geno decides to retire, Dawn Staley should be his successor.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Is this a trap? This feels like a trap.

Suspicious On To You GIF by Originals

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Boneyard discussions about potential successors to Geno have focussed upon former Uconn players who have successfully transitioned to coaching. And I wonder: why the emphasis on former Uconn players? The Uconn brand is akin the that of the Steinbrenner Yankees. Geno's successor should be the best coach in WCBB period. In my view, that is Dawn Staley. She has worked with Geno on the national team, she has won a national title, she has the ability to recruit top notch players, and she is 51. She is a graduate of UVA so query whether her loyalty to South Carolina is complete. Sure it would cost - USC compensates Staley very well. But Uconn is the historical Top Dog. When Geno decides to retire, Dawn Staley should be his successor.
? ?

Reaction Score
I agree that when choosing the next coach a previous connection to UConn should be
given very low weight. But is Dawn Staley the best coach available? And why would she
leave a successful program of her own creation?

The best coach available is not necessarily someone of great prominence. When UConn
was looking for a women's basketball coach back in the 1980's, Geno Auriemma was
the best coach available - but who knew that at the time. We are going to need an AD
who does their homework with more than due diligence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Geno retires, it will be Chris Dailey not Dawn Staley.
If Chris wants to retire it will be one of Geno's assist coaches or one of UConn former players.
CD said when Geno goes, she goes. She's in her 60s herself, so not exactly young. Also it's a valid question with Geno's retirement fast approaching. There is obviously no replacement for Geno, and given what the school will be willing to pay for its next coach, we will probably end up with someone that's maybe 60-70% as good as Geno.

Reaction Score
It will be Coach Jumper from Volnation! Bank on it. I know his blood is Orange but his ego will not let him turn the job down once UConns AD offers the job. He will show the world what a true coaching genius can do!!
Jumper Jumper Jumper!!!!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If Geno retires, it will be Chris Dailey not Dawn Staley.
If Chris wants to retire it will be one of Geno's assist coaches or one of UConn former players.
Rarely has Geno gone outside of the "family" for an assistant coach. With all of the former players still in the game (coaching/broadcasting/playing), It would be sad if UConn had to go outside to find a qualified and able successor. I think it's way too early to be thinking about Geno's successor.

He just indicated this past season that he's not even contemplating retirement at this time. Perhaps 7-10 years, when Geno is ready to retire, there will be more than enough qualified coaches with UConn a pedigree waiting in the wings to replace him. Then, we can seriously think about his successor. When he leaves, players will come to UConn to play for his successor, not his legacy, or the university.

UConn will never the the same after he and CD leave. Whoever succeeds him will have a GIANT shadow over their shoulder and the program for several years, similar to the one endured by the UCLA men's team when "Gene Bartow" succeeded the legendary Naismith Hall of Fame coach John Wooden in 1975. The expectations were too much for Bartow, he only lasted 2 seasons. He left after UCLA lost to "unranked" Idaho State by a point in the Sweet Sixteen.

Whoever takes over had better win 30+ games a year and go deep into the tournament, or face constant undaunting scrutiny and ire from fans and the media. UConn Nation is spoiled, and will except nothing less than a real and sustained run at the national championship every year. Losing will not be tolerated! :mad:

Elite players/recruits are now willing to go to LSU because Kim Mulkey is there, not because it's LSU. If Geno left for another school, recruits would still want to play FOR HIM!! Not to be rude, this is a liberal forum, post what you will, but we've got what may be Geno's best team since the 2001 coming in.

The last thing I want to think about right now is Geno not coaching this team. That day will come. We'll deal with it when it does. Now and this summer I want to contemplate on our team individually and collectively.

Geno has got a juggernaut coming in. I want to spend the summer swimming in the cool relaxing pool of unbridled optimism. I really believe THIS team has a real legitimate chance of raising the national championship trophy the next two years. I think THIS is the year UConn goes back to being "real bad" for WCBB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While she had certainly stated that, I could see some sort of “modified” plan.
Geno and Chris bring on the “future” head coach ( not identified as such) in some capacity.
MAY ALREADY BE ON STAFF.
Geno retires- Chris steps up into the full head coaching position while grooming the next head coach for a season or two.
Then handing over the reins.
I am FAIRLY CERTAIN that Geno and Chris would like to see their brand endure and are not planning on just closing the door and leaving the keys at the front desk.

Reaction Score
Given how important Uconn Womens BB is to the state of CT I don't see Dawn as checking all the boxes.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
It will be Coach Jumper from Volnation! Bank on it. I know his blood is Orange but his ego will not let him turn the job down once UConns AD offers the job. He will show the world what a true coaching genius can do!!
Jumper Jumper Jumper!!!!
Put it down and step away from the ashtray!!

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
CD said when Geno goes, she goes. She's in her 60s herself, so not exactly young. Also it's a valid question with Geno's retirement fast approaching. There is obviously no replacement for Geno, and given what the school will be willing to pay for its next coach, we will probably end up with someone that's maybe 60-70% as good as Geno.
Everyone even former UCONN players or asst. coaches would all start 60-70% as good as Geno. No one in WCBB would start where Geno would leave off.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
is Dawn Staley the best coach available?

The best coach available is not necessarily someone of great prominence. When UConn
was looking for a women's basketball coach back in the 1980's, Geno Auriemma was
the best coach available - but who knew that at the time. We are going to need an AD
who does their homework with more than due diligence.
Careful and precise thinking by Ed...
I 'd like to go a step further in a different direction...

I never was a big fan of Dawn's coaching, nor her rhetoric.
Granted, she has become a master recruiter.
For my taste , she plays the race and gender card a bit too aggressively.
(is this a taboo subject?...I wonder?...certainly not for her)
It certainly hasn't hurt her with recruits...for sure the opposite.
And combine that with the Olympic mantel...Hits all the bases.

I had the impression that Geno went out of his way not to use his Olympic status
to assist his coaching...some of his weakest classes...and that his devotion to those responsibilities were hardly a positive for his day job.

Obviously, I've never been to Dawn's practices, but her in-game representation is often
not what I would expect in a world-class coach...I mean... no one likes to lose...but in difficult situations, she appears pouty...uninvolved...not particularly helpful.

The essence of Geno for me ....(and I understand that especially in the past, he wasn't a particularly graceful winner; hard to love from afar...) was the development of a style of BB that at its best was like watching a Balanchine or Mark Morris ballet...the movement, the passing was so superbly choreographed yet not rigid...the switching on D was so effortless, the finding of the best possible shot, so insightful. The handling of difficult personalities so
perceptive...think of how he helped a disconsolate Ms C. Williams, this very season.

I don't see any of these strengths in Dawn.
I understand she's had some success.
To enjoy more (and to get some support here) she's going to have to display more pure BB acumen, and less emphasis on (legitimate) social grievances.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
While she had certainly stated that, I could see some sort of “modified” plan.
Geno and Chris bring on the “future” head coach ( not identified as such) in some capacity.
MAY ALREADY BE ON STAFF.
Geno retires- Chris steps up into the full head coaching position while grooming the next head coach for a season or two.
Then handing over the reins.
I am FAIRLY CERTAIN that Geno and Chris would like to see their brand endure and are not planning on just closing the door and leaving the keys at the front desk.
don't buy it, skip step 1, they are a duo. Geno could and maybe grooming his replacement now, but I doubt it. Don't think Geno is at the point where he feels he will leave in the next few years, any numbers of years longer and the entire coaching situation could be entirely different. Why would Geno speculate that far ahead, he knows that's our job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom