Geno's Successor? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Geno's Successor?

Reaction Score
I disagree.
There is a very strong foundation in place to continue the UCONN WAY.
Grueling practices.
Intense competition among players dedicated to being the best.
Egos checked at the door for the good of team purpose.
Endless repetition.
Team members that dreamt of wearing a Husky Uniform.
Incredible opportunities available after UCONN playing days are over<—situation virtually absent at other top tier programs.
BUT- replacement cannot come in cold.
Next head coach must be brought in several years before Geno’s exit to enable an orderly transfer. This will insure continued success and an uninterrupted talent pipeline.
Think of it as a relay runner passing the baton to the next Teammate.
A successful coaching transition at UCONN will greatly enhance Geno’s legacy.
( and do not think for a moment he isn’t aware of this)
JMHO
Grueling practices..,who doesn’t like those? Especially when accompanied by rforced marches and soul crushing discipline. I get most if what you are saying but that sounds Bear Bryant football practices.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Grueling practices..,who doesn’t like those? Especially when accompanied by rforced marches and soul crushing discipline. I get most if what you are saying but that sounds Bear Bryant football practices.
True and where did those grueling practices ever get Bryant? What did have to show for them?

(I mean other 6 national championships. I mean who even pays attention to those. :rolleyes: )

Reaction Score
Those grueling practices result In incredible competition for playing time (and are Geno’s stated criteria for these decisions) as well as affording Coach to use a short bench and pretty much go full throttle for four quarters.
I do hope, that with the talent on this roster,
Coach is willing/able to substitute more liberally and exert end to end pressure in heavier doses.

Reaction Score
If I missed it earlier, I am sorry, but I always thought that CD’s contract is of the same duration. I realize the similarities may end there but has anyone heard if she is also being extended?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I disagree.
There is a very strong foundation in place to continue the UCONN WAY.
Grueling practices.
Intense competition among players dedicated to being the best.
Egos checked at the door for the good of team purpose.
Endless repetition.
Team members that dreamt of wearing a Husky Uniform.
Incredible opportunities available after UCONN playing days are over<—situation virtually absent at other top tier programs.
BUT- replacement cannot come in cold.
Next head coach must be brought in several years before Geno’s exit to enable an orderly transfer. This will insure continued success and an uninterrupted talent pipeline.
Think of it as a relay runner passing the baton to the next Teammate.
A successful coaching transition at UCONN will greatly enhance Geno’s legacy.
( and do not think for a moment he isn’t aware of this)
JMHO
Yes, there is a recipe but if it was that easy, you'd think we'd see a lot more UConn level teams. My guess, (who can really know) is that on top of following the recipe, you have to the real magic that Geno, or more likely the combination of Geno and CD, have. Anybody can run a hard practice, anybody can recruit selectively to fit a system, anybody can drill and focus on execution; Very few have shown the ability to find the right balance between pushing and coddling (maybe it takes two, doing a good cop, bad cop routine) that squeezes the maximum team-oriented performance possible out of an elite group of alpha players. It's remarkable how often fans in the BY are offended on behalf of certain payers for their perceived verbal abuse by Geno. Far more frequently than the players themselves. The one thing that's always been obvious to me over the years is that most of Geno's players will run through brick walls if Geno asks them to because he's Geno and because they love him.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Really! Are you just writing? If so, then your certainty requires no grounding. And so you have cited one in a billion possibilities.
Sure I'm just writing. Like everyone else on this fan forum. FWIW and on the assumption that you may not be a native English speaker, the phrase "odds are" implies a level of assuredness short of certainty. I am however, quite confident, that the odds are significantly against Geno's successor approaching his level of success.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Sure I'm just writing. Like everyone else on this fan forum. FWIW and on the assumption that you may not be a native English speaker, the phrase "odds are" implies a level of assuredness short of certainty. I am however, quite confident, that the odds are significantly against Geno's successor approaching his level of success.
No one in CBB men's or woman's have had the success that Geno has had, period! While many have come to the CBB Mecca to study at the feet of the master none have as RedStickHusky said, have approached his level of success. Let's face it Geno is a one and done. That being said, we can have a good maybe even a great replacement when Geno leaves coaching to crush grapes barefooted.
No coach who replaces Geno will be able to duplicate or come close to replicating what Geno, his staff and players have accomplished over the Geno era, no way no how. He is the "Goat." I will enjoy every minute he continues to coach, I love what has been, live for the present and look forward to what will be. Forever being a Husky fan, in awe of the "Goat" and what he and teams have and will accomplish.

Reaction Score
But that is okay. When it hapens whoever the new coach is will imprint his/her personality on the program. As long as the coach shows improvement each season and does it the right way i.e. no cheating..that is enough for me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom