Geno's Successor? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno's Successor?

W

wolfe613

That's what it's worth, 2 cents.
not everyone wants where they play to be their dream job, especially an SEC school like Vanderbilt where she can build something special, why would she wanna leave that? The Big east has no competition, the biggest threat is who Depaul? SEC alone with having football is better for all their sports

Reaction Score
Moot point... no successful SEC coach at a program they built is gonna leave for any other job. South Carolina has SEC money... other conferences simply can't compete with that money that the top programs down there are willing to put out.

Never underestimate the ability of South Carolina to shoot itself in the foot, but it would take a major screwup for Dawn Staley to leave for another college job.

If she did leave, I doubt seriously it would be to take on the no-win scenario of replacing Geno.

Like you said, South Carolina can more easily afford to pay her anything that UCONN can come up with. But see the first point.

Reaction Score
I think this is a great topic of discussion and one that should be ongoing. I mean, we are just fans....on a message board.

My short list of people I would love to see interested in the UCONN job are as follows:

And yes-I want CD to stay as Associate HC past Geno for the transition.

Shea Ralph
Carla Berube
Kara Lawson
Courtney Banghart
Meghan Duffy
Kim Barnes-Arico
Becky Hammon

Reaction Score
Never underestimate the ability of South Carolina to shoot itself in the foot, but it would take a major screwup for Dawn Staley to leave for another college job.

If she did leave, I doubt seriously it would be to take on the no-win scenario of replacing Geno.

Like you said, South Carolina can more easily afford to pay her anything that UCONN can come up with. But see the first point.

The only job I could see Dawn leaving for is Virginia or UCLA......if they step up with $$$$$$

Yes, UCLA! If they pay, it's a good job. Dawn is better than any coach in the country at building and connecting with a fan base, Southern California is easy to recruit to, and the amount of HS talent in California is unmatched.

Reaction Score
Well this will depend on how committed Uconn wants to be to WBB. They may not want to hire a 5yr $2 million per year coach. Maybe someone from the WNBA shows interest. Maybe Geno will not want anything to do with naming a successor. Didn’t really work out for the men.

Reaction Score
Well this will depend on how committed Uconn wants to be to WBB. They may not want to hire a 5yr $2 million per year coach. Maybe someone from the WNBA shows interest. Maybe Geno will not want anything to do with naming a successor. Didn’t really work out for the men.
UCONN had better step up and not let the money stand in the way of getting the right person.
They had better not have built this program into the BEST EVER in HISTORY only to then play cheapskate and let the program fall apart. Just have to be smarter than that. Step up and spend whatever it takes.
The value of the UCONN WOMEN'S BBALL is UNMATCHED and a huge positive window into the university as a whole. You just have to do whatever you possibly can to keep it ELITE.

Reaction Score
Devil's Advocate: Try to look at this from the perspective of the school administration. How much work and stress is imposed on the University to maintain a program like UConn WCBB. As fans we may only see the glitz and glamour of it all.
Maybe everything sort of settles into some sort of equilibrium/homeostasis when Geno steps away. Think of some other situations in which an iconic, hugely successful coach has left. Are the resources available to the new coach automatically the same as they were for the historically great coach? UCLA, Indiana, UNLV, Duke (when Coach K retires), Tenn, ODU, LaTech (women)
I would gather that there are built in difficulties at UConn because it does not have the conference affiliations that automatically keep it strong. Regionally too has to be a strain. Seems like UConn would naturally compete with the likes of UNH, URI, UMass, UVt.
UCLA and Indiana both had huge traditions and powerful league affiliations and they have still struggled mightily without Wooden and Knight. Gunna be interesting. Just saying, it could be possible that the University will see Geno's departure as a chance to relax a tad.
I played in HS for an iconic coach (he actually coached Big John Thompson at Carroll in DC). The HS had about 120 boys, grades 7-12. Do the math. I had 21 in my graduating class. About half went to Ivies. About a quarter were National Merit Scholars. And our hoop squad was wicked. Two years in a row, D1 recruits, UVA and Jacksonville. When Coach left the Admin could finally breathe a little and "concentrate on academics". (like they really needed to) Now they compete with the tiny Catholic/Private schools around the area that nobody's ever heard of. We used to be Washington Post Metro top 20.

Reaction Score
Devil's Advocate: Try to look at this from the perspective of the school administration. How much work and stress is imposed on the University to maintain a program like UConn WCBB. As fans we may only see the glitz and glamour of it all.
Maybe everything sort of settles into some sort of equilibrium/homeostasis when Geno steps away. Think of some other situations in which an iconic, hugely successful coach has left. Are the resources available to the new coach automatically the same as they were for the historically great coach? UCLA, Indiana, UNLV, Duke (when Coach K retires), Tenn, ODU, LaTech (women)
I would gather that there are built in difficulties at UConn because it does not have the conference affiliations that automatically keep it strong. Regionally too has to be a strain. Seems like UConn would naturally compete with the likes of UNH, URI, UMass, UVt.
UCLA and Indiana both had huge traditions and powerful league affiliations and they have still struggled mightily without Wooden and Knight. Gunna be interesting. Just saying, it could be possible that the University will see Geno's departure as a chance to relax a tad.
I played in HS for an iconic coach (he actually coached Big John Thompson at Carroll in DC). The HS had about 120 boys, grades 7-12. Do the math. I had 21 in my graduating class. About half went to Ivies. About a quarter were National Merit Scholars. And our hoop squad was wicked. Two years in a row, D1 recruits, UVA and Jacksonville. When Coach left the Admin could finally breathe a little and "concentrate on academics". (like they really needed to) Now they compete with the tiny Catholic/Private schools around the area that nobody's ever heard of. We used to be Washington Post Metro top 20.

Please don't talk to me about URI, UNG, VT, Maine etc being UCONN rivals. They do not match up in any way with the prestige, name brand, history of excellence with UCONN. UCONN's more natural rivals in terms of prestige (state schools) are: Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston College (I not not state schools) and the like. conference affiliation aside, UCONN is a TOP 25 State University. Don't insult us by comparing us to far lesser and (never were) schools just because were in New England. UCONN has risen FAR ABOVE those schools.

Reaction Score
Funny how u mention Indiana and unlv UConn has won 4 men’s titles 3 by coach Calhoun and 1 with his recruits but hardly anyone mentions him as an all time great always amazes me

Reaction Score
Please don't talk to me about URI, UNG, VT, Maine etc being UCONN rivals. They do not match up in any way with the prestige, name brand, history of excellence with UCONN. UCONN's more natural rivals in terms of prestige (state schools) are: Penn State, Maryland, Rutgers, Syracuse, Boston College (I not not state schools) and the like. conference affiliation aside, UCONN is a TOP 25 State University. Don't insult us by comparing us to far lesser and (never were) schools just because were in New England. UCONN has risen FAR ABOVE those schools.
Thanks for that. My reference was regional and I said so.
Maybe you could help explain to me why UConn would not then be a fit for the ACC (Cuse and BC) or the Big 10 (Rutgers, Penn St, MD). Being a huge UConn WCBB fan I would love to see that!

Reaction Score
Funny how u mention Indiana and unlv UConn has won 4 men’s titles 3 by coach Calhoun and 1 with his recruits but hardly anyone mentions him as an all time great always amazes me
The Indiana reference was purely to illustrate how hard it is to fill the shoes of an iconic coach. I used a couple examples.
Sounds like you're due for a viewing of "Hoosiers". Pull up the opening credits on Youtube and maybe you'll get what I mean.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
would all start 60-70% as good as Geno.
If that. With 100x the expectations. Geno got 10 years to establish his program. How much rope do think his successor gets?

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Gonna be be tough to get a top notch coach to follow Geno. It’s a lose lose proposition. Especially since UConn is not in a power conference. I suspect after Geno, UConn goes the way of Old Dominion and La Tech.
Don't really want to like this but it's a likely scenario.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Just remember, UConn wasn't looking for a Geno when they hired Geno - they just got incredibly lucky. Odds are, no matter how much they invest in trying to replace him, they'll drop down to the Depaul/Marquette level in short order.

Reaction Score
Just remember, UConn wasn't looking for a Geno when they hired Geno - they just got incredibly lucky. Odds are, no matter how much they invest in trying to replace him, they'll drop down to the Depaul/Marquette level in short order.
Yes, I suspect that this may be a likely scenario. But the DePaul/Marquette level is a whole lot better
than the ODU/LaTech level. Doug Bruno gets his kids to the big dance more often than not.

Will UConn fans be able to accept finding their team ranked in the 20 - 25 range rather than the
top two or three? If I'm still alive when that happens, I know I'll be cheering for them.

W

wolfe613

Don't really want to like this but it's a likely scenario.
I think the first example of this is going to be with the UNC men, I really am bummed to see Hubert davis in this situation cause it seems like a no win situation. It's gonna be ntl title or bust and competing with Duke and even with Roy the team was starting to decline, they are teams that can't do one and done, some can but not them. They won their ntl titles off 3-4 year players

Reaction Score
I think the first example of this is going to be with the UNC men, I really am bummed to see Hubert davis in this situation cause it seems like a no win situation. It's gonna be ntl title or bust and competing with Duke and even with Roy the team was starting to decline, they are teams that can't do one and done, some can but not them. They won their ntl titles off 3-4 year players
Not sure I agree. They've been good for so long. All the infrastructure in place. My whole life, which is getting to be pretty long. Remember they won a title with Frank McGuire when they beat Wilt and Kansas. (Frank McGuire went to South Carolina and for a couple of years SC was better than NC. John Roche. I think Bobby Cremins played on those teams. Then Billy C. Charlie Scott. That's 50 years. They had a couple year lull with the failed experiment- Matt Doherty. Too much there. It's like apple pie, an American tradition.

W

wolfe613

Not sure I agree. They've been good for so long. All the infrastructure in place. My whole life, which is getting to be pretty long. Remember they won a title with Frank McGuire when they beat Wilt and Kansas. (Frank McGuire went to South Carolina and for a couple of years SC was better than NC. John Roche. I think Bobby Cremins played on those teams. Then Billy C. Charlie Scott. That's 50 years. They had a couple year lull with the failed experiment- Matt Doherty. Too much there. It's like apple pie, an American tradition.
yea but this is a different era now of the one and done, back then players would stay 3-4 years the best players at least, unless UNC can be patient (highly doubt it) and say that we need players to develop for a period of time, I don't know if he will last.

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Boneyard discussions about potential successors to Geno have focussed upon former Uconn players who have successfully transitioned to coaching. And I wonder: why the emphasis on former Uconn players? The Uconn brand is akin the that of the Steinbrenner Yankees. Geno's successor should be the best coach in WCBB period. In my view, that is Dawn Staley. She has worked with Geno on the national team, she has won a national title, she has the ability to recruit top notch players, and she is 51. She is a graduate of UVA so query whether her loyalty to South Carolina is complete. Sure it would cost - USC compensates Staley very well. But Uconn is the historical Top Dog. When Geno decides to retire, Dawn Staley should be his successor.
My god, buckaroo you have taken an awful lot of heat on this one. Maybe it's time to escape somewhere in the fifth dimension? Said in jest only. You are a braver man than I am.

Reaction Score
Hubert might be that perfect fit. Cerebral, ex-player, got some NBA cred, NYC and MSG to boot. X's and O's- how to get off 3's, he might know something about that. He's gotta know everybody. Could be a model replacement, like something UConn can follow.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Davis seems like a great guy... but fortunately the good blue is gonna be kicking some baby blue arse for the next few years until he gets up to speed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom