Geno's Successor? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's Successor?

Reaction Score
Haven’t received confirmation of this but a very reliable source has shared that there will be no replacement of the Head Coach position once Geno becomes head chef at his restaurant. Coaching will be done by committee to be composed of former players, assistant coaches, and one of the previous mascots. It will all occur by real time Zoom calls. Geno has asked the NCAA to expand the length of time-outs to 15 minutes.

Reaction Score
Boneyard discussions about potential successors to Geno have focussed upon former Uconn players who have successfully transitioned to coaching. And I wonder: why the emphasis on former Uconn players? The Uconn brand is akin the that of the Steinbrenner Yankees. Geno's successor should be the best coach in WCBB period. In my view, that is Dawn Staley. She has worked with Geno on the national team, she has won a national title, she has the ability to recruit top notch players, and she is 51. She is a graduate of UVA so query whether her loyalty to South Carolina is complete. Sure it would cost - USC compensates Staley very well. But Uconn is the historical Top Dog. When Geno decides to retire, Dawn Staley should be his successor.
1620763997421.png

Reaction Score
Boneyard discussions about potential successors to Geno have focussed upon former Uconn players who have successfully transitioned to coaching. And I wonder: why the emphasis on former Uconn players? The Uconn brand is akin the that of the Steinbrenner Yankees. Geno's successor should be the best coach in WCBB period. In my view, that is Dawn Staley. She has worked with Geno on the national team, she has won a national title, she has the ability to recruit top notch players, and she is 51. She is a graduate of UVA so query whether her loyalty to South Carolina is complete. Sure it would cost - USC compensates Staley very well. But Uconn is the historical Top Dog. When Geno decides to retire, Dawn Staley should be his successor.
One of the many reasons I love UConn women’s basketball is the beauty of their style of play. I don’t even like to think of UConn playing Dawn’s style of basketball. I don’t doubt she would win, just that I would enjoy watching them win nearly as much as I do now. “Two very enthusiastic thumbs down!”

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's a huge difference between "who would the likely successor be now" and "who will it likely be in 5-10 years when Geno retires".

In 5 years I have no idea. From the UCONN tree, you will have Cardoza, Berube, Ralph, Jeter, Mosely at the very least - all will have at lest 5 years head coaching at that time, with only Jeter at this point in a Div III school. I realize Tonya is a longshot as she's done squadoosh at Temple, but 5 years is a good long time and we will see.

Add to that the other coaches who may have stepped up and be ready for the big leagues who are non-UCONN related coaches. I don't think any of the current assistants (excluding Dailey) would be appropriate.

Then there is the whole issue of "how will it work". Obviously Tennessee was a disaster. Warlick was a tremendous recruiter, but lousy coach. Harper seems to be at least an average coach (maybe slightly above average), but so far has been a crappy recruiter. We will see if Washington makes a difference. But my point is, UCONN can certainly learn from Tennessee's mistakes when the time comes.

So maybe Geno stays on as an HC emeritus like Pat did. Maybe CD takes the reigns for a few years and the HC in waiting becomes the Assoc. HC. Maybe they just hire a newbie right out the gate and Geno just becomes an advisor.

I get that this is a topic lots of people want to discuss since it always gets a ton of traffic, but in a way it's a silly exercise (no insult meant to the OP) because it will be such a long time before Geno retires and TONS can/will happen in the next 5-10 years.

Dawn would be a dreadful choice. There is nothing about her I like except for her recruiting prowess. And by "nothing", I literally mean zero. Blech. I threw up in my mouth a little bit just thinking about that possibility.

Reaction Score
Shea is at Vanderbilt to get HC experience then will be headed back to UCONN for the HC position once he and CD retire.. that’s just my 2 cents.. ?
I hope she has at least 1 winning season.

Reaction Score
There's a huge difference between "who would the likely successor be now" and "who will it likely be in 5-10 years when Geno retires".

In 5 years I have no idea. From the UCONN tree, you will have Cardoza, Berube, Ralph, Jeter, Mosely at the very least - all will have at lest 5 years head coaching at that time, with only Jeter at this point in a Div III school. I realize Tonya is a longshot as she's done squadoosh at Temple, but 5 years is a good long time and we will see.

Add to that the other coaches who may have stepped up and be ready for the big leagues who are non-UCONN related coaches. I don't think any of the current assistants (excluding Dailey) would be appropriate.

Then there is the whole issue of "how will it work". Obviously Tennessee was a disaster. Warlick was a tremendous recruiter, but lousy coach. Harper seems to be at least an average coach (maybe slightly above average), but so far has been a crappy recruiter. We will see if Washington makes a difference. But my point is, UCONN can certainly learn from Tennessee's mistakes when the time comes.

So maybe Geno stays on as an HC emeritus like Pat did. Maybe CD takes the reigns for a few years and the HC in waiting becomes the Assoc. HC. Maybe they just hire a newbie right out the gate and Geno just becomes an advisor.

I get that this is a topic lots of people want to discuss since it always gets a ton of traffic, but in a way it's a silly exercise (no insult meant to the OP) because it will be such a long time before Geno retires and TONS can/will happen in the next 5-10 years.

Dawn would be a dreadful choice. There is nothing about her I like except for her recruiting prowess. And by "nothing", I literally mean zero. Blech. I threw up in my mouth a little bit just thinking about that possibility.
Entities rarely learn by other entities mistakes. But I agree with you about Dawn. She sickens me and I pretty much like everyone.

Reaction Score
I think Coach Staley would be a great choice but I think she is trying to build a program that replaces UCONN at the top, not to just jump when Geno leaves.

If we are just making up impossible scenarios then I think Tim Fudd is the next coach and the deal has already been made.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the laugh.

GG

Reaction Score
If Geno retires, it will be Chris Dailey not Dawn Staley.
If Chris wants to retire it will be one of Geno's assist coaches or one of UConn former players.
I disagree. It will be the most qualified candidate Benedict can find. If that happens to be an alarm, great, but that should not be the main factor.

Reaction Score
Nothing (absolutely nothing) in your careful summary of Dawn’s accomplishments holds water. And, at the risk of sounding offensive, I suggest you don’t really know UConn at all. We practice til we can’t get it wrong and we don’t recruit dopes. We are UConn...pretty sure you’re not.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Moot point... no successful SEC coach at a program they built is gonna leave for any other job. South Carolina has SEC money... other conferences simply can't compete with that money that the top programs down there are willing to put out.

Reaction Score
Shea is at Vanderbilt to get HC experience then will be headed back to UCONN for the HC position once he and CD retire.. that’s just my 2 cents.. ?
could be but she'll have to do more than just get Vanderbilt back to respectability...........If she can turn that team into a consistent winner, I'd say the job could very well be her's for the taking..........

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
could be but she'll have to do more than just get Vanderbilt back to respectability...........If she can turn that team into a consistent winner, I'd say the job could very well be her's for the taking..........
But note that prior to Balcomb's last two years, Vanderbilt was a consistent winner for about 30.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I disagree. It will be the most qualified candidate Benedict can find. If that happens to be an alarm, great, but that should not be the main factor.
That would be totally shocking (or alarming)!!! LOL ;)

Reaction Score
Gonna be be tough to get a top notch coach to follow Geno. It’s a lose lose proposition. Especially since UConn is not in a power conference. I suspect after Geno, UConn goes the way of Old Dominion and La Tech.

Reaction Score
But note that prior to Balcomb's last two years, Vanderbilt was a consistent winner for about 30.
true but reestablishing a winning tradition and winning consistently over 4-5 years is not going to be easy in that conference ...........she's going to have lot's of offers if she can accomplish that feat.......

Reaction Score

If I was Shea and I can turn Vandy back into a consistent winner and compete in the SEC, I would not leave Vandy to go back to Uconn.

Reaction Score
If I was Shea and I can turn Vandy back into a consistent winner and compete in the SEC, I would not leave Vandy to go back to Uconn.
What and miss all those cool snow storms?

Reaction Score
I think she would out of a sense of responsibility and pride........unless she had to take a pay cut.......... ;)

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Shea is at Vanderbilt to get HC experience then will be headed back to UCONN for the HC position once he and

Ahhh...finally someone sees the big picture, make tht 4 cents.
I approve this message

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom