Geno's Season In Review | The Boneyard

Geno's Season In Review

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
An Amore article with Geno talking the season. He reveals that he intensified practice after the Oregon loss. He beat himself up over Paige's injury, but came to believe that she suffered the injury at another time (figure that out! Maybe Carnac.)

Interesting read.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
It's behind the paywall. Can't read it. Tried outline, but the link isn't working...

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm surprised that Geno bared his soul to this degree. It is a more candid portrait of Geno agonizing (and suffering from more self-doubt than he says he has ever experienced previously) about the way the season went.

There is one significant error, however, concerning the score of the Oregon game. The article has it as 79-52, which would indeed be a rout. The actual score was 72-59, which is still significant but tells quite a different story than 79-52.

I still think that the most significant theme of the season is that every loss except the first one to South Carolina occurred immediately after a key player was unexpectedly removed from the lineup: Paige before Georgia Tech, Nika before Louisville, Christyn before Oregon, and Liv a few minutes before Villanova. The team has done OK (in fact has only one loss, to the best team in the country) when it has had time to prepare for its opponent with the same lineup that it would face those opponents with.

Reaction Score
He came to believe that Paige’s injury happened at another time? I can’t get to the article. Does he throw out any guesses as to when and where? Ive seen cases where boxers are hit with a punch and it takes them a few seconds to react and hit the canvas. But, I’ve never seen a player being carried off the floor due to a surgery-needing injury that occurred sometime in the past.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The one point in the article that I found interesting was that Geno did question his decision to leave Paige on the court vs ND. At the time of her injury, while many others questioned that decision, Geno was less definitive. While he acknowledges the injury may have occurred somewhere else, he also admits that he gave in to Paige’s desire to stay on the court against his better judgment.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
The one point in the article that I found interesting was that Geno did question his decision to leave Paige on the court vs ND. At the time of her injury, while many others questioned that decision, Geno was less definitive. While he acknowledges the injury may have occurred somewhere else, he also admits that he gave in to Paige’s desire to stay on the court against his better judgment.
If this is the quote, I read it differently. To me, it's more of of what if it happened earlier, and how to process that it happened?

“My initial reaction when I saw it happened was, ‘If this is really bad, I’m going to be really pissed off at myself,’” he said. “I knew eventually I’d be able to look at it rationally and say, ‘This didn’t happen this game, this injury happened some other time and she didn’t let us see it.’ At the same time, I’m thinking, the kid never, ever, ever wants to come out, and I gave in to that. Because normally, we got our starters out of there."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If this is the quote, I read it differently. To me, it's more of of what if it happened earlier, and how to process that it happened?

“My initial reaction when I saw it happened was, ‘If this is really bad, I’m going to be really pissed off at myself,’” he said. “I knew eventually I’d be able to look at it rationally and say, ‘This didn’t happen this game, this injury happened some other time and she didn’t let us see it.’ At the same time, I’m thinking, the kid never, ever, ever wants to come out, and I gave in to that. Because normally, we got our starters out of there."
Yes, but in the next paragraph Geno states, "She loves playing so much that I never even think of taking her out. And then, when that happened, I really kicked myself, really beat myself up and said, I don't want to be stupid like this. If this is really bad, I'm going to feel like I did it. It's my fault."

Subsequently, when he learned that Paige was going to recover and be all right, I think Geno came to terms with the situation. But at least initially, it appeared to unsettle him, causing him to question his decision-making.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If you go back to the SH game before the ND game, Geno took Paige out in the last minute+ with the game MOV about the same as the ND MOV. It seems Geno differentiates between a BE team with a HC who I assume he is friendly with vs ND. FWIW

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Yes, but in the next paragraph Geno states, "She loves playing so much that I never even think of taking her out. And then, when that happened, I really kicked myself, really beat myself up and said, I don't want to be stupid like this. If this is really bad, I'm going to feel like I did it. It's my fault."

Subsequently, when he learned that Paige was going to recover and be all right, I think Geno came to terms with the situation. But at least initially, it appeared to unsettle him, causing him to question his decision-making.
That Geno stuff in bold is just plain nonsense driven by his guilt. She didn't play another game, go to practice and then decide to not hide the injury anymore and fall down at the end of the ND game.

Reaction Score
That Geno stuff in bold is just plain nonsense driven by his guilt. She didn't play another game, go to practice and then decide to not hide the injury anymore and fall down at the end of the ND game.
Not the point, Rock. On reviewing the tape, there were a number of occurrences during the game that may have precipitated Paige's injury. She was in a few collisions, went to the floor on her knees seeking a loose ball, and was knocked down by a ND player who simply hip-checked her to the ground.
I've read that a fatigued hamstring can fail to prevent a hyperextension of the leg. Perhaps playing nearly a full game cause Paige's hamstring to weaken some.
We'll never know exactly the cause of Sim's injury, but it's time to thank the heavens that she is apparently her old self and on the cusp of leading us to the NC.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He came to believe that Paige’s injury happened at another time? I can’t get to the article. Does he throw out any guesses as to when and where? Ive seen cases where boxers are hit with a punch and it takes them a few seconds to react and hit the canvas. But, I’ve never seen a player being carried off the floor due to a surgery-needing injury that occurred sometime in the past.
It does happen that a serious injury occurs but, tragically, isn’t detected until later

Reaction Score
It does happen that a serious injury occurs but, tragically, isn’t detected until later

I’m not a doctor but I play one on the BY. IN Paige’s case, it seems pretty clear that the anterior tibial plateau fracture and lateral meniscus tear occurred when we saw it occur. With 40 seconds left in the ND game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

I remember her current husband at the time, Liam Neeson, saying how adamant she was in saying she was fine, and didn't need to go to a hospital to be checked out. A regret I'm sure he carries to this day. So very sad.

Reaction Score
I’m not a doctor but I play one on the BY. IN Paige’s case, it seems pretty clear that the anterior tibial plateau fracture and lateral meniscus tear occurred when we saw it occur. With 40 seconds left in the ND game.
I know that certain types of injuries develop over time. Having suffered with shin splints I know this to be true. You cannot "play through" stress reactions, they only get worse. Is there a real doctor in BY-land that can comment on the possibility that Paige's damage started earlier and then let loose when it did? Holiday Inn Express doctors need not respond. :)

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I'm surprised that Geno bared his soul to this degree. It is a more candid portrait of Geno agonizing (and suffering from more self-doubt than he says he has ever experienced previously) about the way the season went.

There is one significant error, however, concerning the score of the Oregon game. The article has it as 79-52, which would indeed be a rout. The actual score was 72-59, which is still significant but tells quite a different story than 79-52.

I still think that the most significant theme of the season is that every loss except the first one to South Carolina occurred immediately after a key player was unexpectedly removed from the lineup: Paige before Georgia Tech, Nika before Louisville, Christyn before Oregon, and Liv a few minutes before Villanova. The team has done OK (in fact has only one loss, to the best team in the country) when it has had time to prepare for its opponent with the same lineup that it would face those opponents with.
Some facts matter. Georgia Tech, after Paige, Nika and Azzi removed. Louisville 2nd game since their removal.

Reaction Score
An Amore article with Geno talking the season. He reveals that he intensified practice after the Oregon loss. He beat himself up over Paige's injury, but came to believe that she suffered the injury at another time (figure that out! Maybe Carnac.)

Interesting read.

Sir rockingham.
The injury to Paige apparently was not the result of any of the above. It appeared to be a freak accident.
This is NOT the NEW GENO. He realized to be better the 9 had to buckle down and pay attention to the detail.
If Geno doesn't get BE coach of the Year, possibly the NCAA Coach of the Year, well you know!!
With all those moving into Montana you should move to NYC it becoming vacant comparatively

Reaction Score
While all things are possible. It is obvious you are right. There is no value in making this more than what was seen. All we know is what we saw. A freak accident.

Reaction Score

Geno is Italian, Emotional, he likes everything Paige and Paige has been the poster Uconn lady.
It is near impossible Geno is the cause of THIS Paige injury. Fans here have make assessments, each MAY be correct. There is no medical means of determining what caused this injury other than what has been seen. The rest is hyperbole, guess work, without proof.
But I know a lady, in Brooklyn, that will give us precise details by reading Geno's palm, if we cross her palm with $100.00! no refunds.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
And really, accuracy in reporting is like so 70s.
I think of it more like reporting the temperature. There's the actual temperature reading and then there's the "feel like" temperature (heat index or wind chill or whatever they call it). That game "felt more like" 79-52 than 72-59.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think of it more like reporting the temperature. There's the actual temperature reading and then there's the "feel like" temperature (heat index or wind chill or whatever they call it). That game "felt more like" 79-52 than 72-59.
Exactly, it’s kind of silly to report actual events when instead one can “tweak” or fabricate events that give the desired “feel.”

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Some facts matter. Georgia Tech, after Paige, Nika and Azzi removed. Louisville 2nd game since their removal.
Not quite correct. Azzi was sidelined before the Notre Dame game in which Paige was injured. Paige and Nika (my memory about the timing of Nika's unavailability was incorrect) were sidelined after the Notre Dame game. Georgia Tech was the first game to be played without them, but UCLA (not Louisville) was the second game. Louisville was the third game without Paige and Nika.

The UCLA game was a 10-point win for UConn (71-61) after they trailed into the third quarter by as much as 11 points. It was a good (possibly heroic) win for the newly reconfigured UConn team against a pretty good opponent -- although not Top 10 or even Top 25. Evina Westbrook played 40 minutes in that game and was amazing, especially in the early going when she was the only one who could hit a shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom