Geno: "We did a lot of dumb things that are still haunting us." | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno: "We did a lot of dumb things that are still haunting us."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Swofford, Leahy and DeFillipo knew who called them out in front of the media. Being named personally cost them, the school and the the ACC lots more money for lawyers than if the correct path was followed to just sue the schools and the conference. And the person who was the mouthpiece for the State of CT and Uconn at the time was the biggest shouter of all. Even louder than Skaden guy, which is actually hard to believe. The presidents know who filed the lawsuit, all of the schools. They also know who was the biggest shouter and gave the appearance of leading the charge. It is not a major factor in everything since, but it is not a minor factor either. If it wasn't a factor like you believe, it would not still be coming up with people that actually might know more than me or you. People like Calhoun and Geno. Or are they morons too?

1. Are they morons. No. But I know a small fraction of what they know about basketball. I don't think it's egomaniacal to think they know only a small fraction about legal matters compared to what I know. Including what clients who are sued think about the lawyers versus the principals on the other side.

2. Everyone involved in conference realignment is playing a role to help bring about results they want. If ever there was an area where you should assume that just because someone says something doesn't mean they really believe it, this is the area.

I find this discussion beyond painful. People apparently either need to believe what they read, or think that ACC principals are so duck*ing dumb that they welcome in with open arms Mark Nordenberg, WHO MADE A DECISION TO SUE THEM PERSONALLY, but won't take UConn because they didn't like the way the lawyer/spokesman who Nordenberg hired (who is was the attorney general of Uconn's state) represented Nordenberg. That conclusion will never be plausible no matter how many times a basketball coach with a horse in the race says it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think biz is exactly right. That said, GDF came across as a small, petty man and I think he absolutely took it personally and had UCONN in his cross hairs on the issue. That, and the fact that in his infinite wisdom, he believed UCONN would take market share from BC rather than grow the market. Small, petty, insecure and STUPID...

None of GDF's reaction was personal. Remember, GDF said clearly that BC would never schedule UConn in anything again. Amost immediately, UCOnn and BC scheduled each other in women's soccer and baseball, and BC would have played us home and home in hoops whenever asked. It was a cover for (i) the legal issues he caused with his statement, and (ii) the fact that what he really meant is "we don't want to play them in football because we have a better reputation so we have nothing to gain and everything to lose."

Reaction Score
Really? I guess that guy Doug Flutie must have been a figment of everyone's imagination! Who knew?
Do you know what Doug Flutie is to Connecticut, again CONNECTICUT? A short guy who threw a Hail Mary one Thanksgiving weekend 30 years ago.

And do you know what he was a week after the game (and I can only judge by Fairfield County interest)? A short guy who threw a Hail Mary last week.

He is better known as a moderately successful Patriot (and last time I checked the Patriots were not a college team) quarterback who was a Patriot fan favorite because of his size, scrambling ability and underdog tag because of his small stature.

Connecticut was oblivious to BC then. I'll make an argument that people (in particular Massachusetts nobody else really gave a rat's tail) embraced Holy Cross in the 70's, and mid-80's as the most popular team regionally and that was fleeting.

If your argument is that New England is anything resembling a fertile college football territory ripe for the picking you could not be more wrong. It is something that has to be sold (outside of Chestnut Hill) and that is the problem, and the challenge.

Hell, football in general is a distant second in New England even in the professional ranks. What was the most popular chant at the Pat's Suber Bowl rallies? Yankees suck!

Reaction Score
Do you know what Doug Flutie is to Connecticut, again CONNECTICUT? A short guy who threw a Hail Mary one Thanksgiving weekend 30 years ago.

And do you know what he was a week after the game (and I can only judge by Fairfield County interest)? A short guy who threw a Hail Mary last week.

He is better known as a moderately successful Patriot (and last time I checked the Patriots were not a college team) quarterback who was a Patriot fan favorite because of his size, scrambling ability and underdog tag because of his small stature.

Connecticut was oblivious to BC then. I'll make an argument that people (in particular Massachusetts nobody else really gave a rat's tail) embraced Holy Cross in the 70's, and mid-80's as the most popular team regionally and that was fleeting.

If your argument is that New England is anything resembling a fertile college football territory ripe for the picking you could not be more wrong. It is something that has to be sold (outside of Chestnut Hill) and that is the problem, and the challenge.

Hell, football in general is a distant second in New England even in the professional ranks. What was the most popular chant at the Pat's Suber Bowl rallies? Yankees suck!

With all due respect, you are responding to an argument I never made. Read what I posted. I wasn't saying anything at all about the New England being a fertile college football territory. I was simply responding to this statement of yours:

"Virtually, the only football conversation in New England until the last 15-20 years was Notre Dame and the Ivy League.Boola, Boola..they whole 9 yards."

Your comment talked about all of New England. Not just CT. (If you had limited it to CT, I would have been inclined to agree with you.). The fact is that in the Boston area - which is a huge part of New England - Doug Flutie WAS a very big deal and Bostonians followed and talked about him and his fellow overachieving teammates quite a bit!

That was my sole limited point. Nothing more.

Reaction Score
1. Are they morons. No. But I know a small fraction of what they know about basketball. I don't think it's egomaniacal to think they know only a small fraction about legal matters compared to what I know. Including what clients who are sued think about the lawyers versus the principals on the other side.

2. Everyone involved in conference realignment is playing a role to help bring about results they want. If ever there was an area where you should assume that just because someone says something doesn't mean they really believe it, this is the area.

I find this discussion beyond painful. People apparently either need to believe what they read, or think that ACC principals are so duck*ing dumb that they welcome in with open arms Mark Nordenberg, WHO MADE A DECISION TO SUE THEM PERSONALLY, but won't take UConn because they didn't like the way the lawyer/spokesman who Nordenberg hired (who is was the attorney general of Uconn's state) represented Nordenberg. That conclusion will never be plausible no matter how many times a basketball coach with a horse in the race says it.
So we should believe DeFilippo when he said he kept Uconn out but don't believe Geno when he says mistakes were made including the lawsuit? Believe that Uconn has tremendous value based on what is written here but don't believe that the lawsuit shapes perceptions about Uconn because of the AG at the time? Believe you, who has no inside knowledge or believe one of the highest ranking people in the Uconn AD (perhaps the highest based on length there)? You can tell me I am wrong but you have no proof. You can tell Geno he is wrong and you still have no proof. The lawsuit, how Blumenthal and by extension CT and Uconn looked and were perceived has to be a factor, not the over riding factor but certainly a factor, in my opinion. I have no proof other than Uconn is in the AAC and Pitt and Cuse are in the ACC. That, and the words of a highly respected coach that just might know way more of the principals than you or me.

Reaction Score
So we should believe DeFilippo when he said he kept Uconn out but don't believe Geno when he says mistakes were made including the lawsuit? Believe that Uconn has tremendous value based on what is written here but don't believe that the lawsuit shapes perceptions about Uconn because of the AG at the time? Believe you, who has no inside knowledge or believe one of the highest ranking people in the Uconn AD (perhaps the highest based on length there)? You can tell me I am wrong but you have no proof. You can tell Geno he is wrong and you still have no proof. The lawsuit, how Blumenthal and by extension CT and Uconn looked and were perceived has to be a factor, not the over riding factor but certainly a factor, in my opinion. I have no proof other than Uconn is in the AAC and Pitt and Cuse are in the ACC. That, and the words of a highly respected coach that just might know way more of the principals than you or me.

This. Geno is extremely well liked and respected and has always maintained very good connections to many of the principals and media - in Boston and elsewhere. If he says this is a factor, I would tend to believe it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
As much as I dislike BC, they have had presence here in CT until UCONN moved up. From Flutie's hail mary, an impressive bowl appearance streak, and an impressive list of NFL draft picks (particularly on OL), BC was the only major New England program (including an old Whaler connection when Richard Gordon's kid kicked a game winning FG against ND). Times have, of course, changed. BC has been in a downward spiral until last season and, for the most part, unable to capitalize on their superior conference affiliation. Ultimately, I think the only way northeast football can capture the attention of sports fans is by playing big games. BC vs UCONN would be big. Granted, BC wouldn't want to play it because they view themselves as superior to UCONN. In some ways, they are right (ex - tradition and history). But the stadiums would have a special electricity in them and fans in the area would be excited to go to the games.

Reaction Score
With all due respect, you are responding to an argument I never made. Read what I posted. I wasn't saying anything at all about the New England being a fertile college football territory. I was simply responding to this statement of yours:
reat
"Virtually, the only football conversation in New England until the last 15-20 years was Notre Dame and the Ivy League.Boola, Boola..they whole 9 yards."

Your comment talked about all of New England. Not just CT. (If you had limited it to CT, I would have been inclined to agree with you.). The fact is that in the Boston area - which is a huge part of New England - Doug Flutie WAS a very big deal and Bostonians followed and talked about him and his fellow overachieving teammates quite a bit!

That was my sole limited point. Nothing more.
Thank you computer, it crashed so I don't know quite how it will look but here goes. I happened to be in Dallas that weekend and I was completely pumped. I was in a bar, in Dallas and they went nuts. Knocking off the big favorite, Miami in that case was GREAT, who doesn't love the underdog.

So your point is well taken, but it in no way is an indication of college football success in New England from here on out (it would help if you guys weren't blocking us from joining your Conference :) ).

The Flutie Game was terrific, especially being a New England guy with a UCONN sweatshirt on. It was a blast and was a great game for Northeast college football------and me personally since people kept buying me and my fiancee (at the time) drinks.

Sorry I excluded it in my initial post.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You are not impressing me with your knowledge of the law. Ever been sued? or have someone other than a client get sued? say a close personal friend? For those not jaded by the experience of making a living in the legal arena, litigation that names you personally creates rancor and bitterness beyond proportion. In these matters, appearance becomes reality and Blumenthal happily played the lead "bad cop" throughout. They all seem to remember him as the villian - in Chestnut Hill in Charlotte in Miami.

Read Blumenthal's comments from the NYT in 2003 below:

['The reason these lawsuits are critically important to Connecticut are UConn spent tens of millions of dollars on a new stadium and to upgrade its football program,'' Mr. Blumenthal said. ''There has been substantial damage to our state by the illegal scheme of these schools and the A.C.C. to destroy the Big East.'' He said that action was taken against Mr. DeFilippo because he allegedly misused information about the Big East's future plans as chairman of the Big East's athletic directors committee and misled Big East officials regarding the school's intention of staying in the conference. Mr. Blumenthal said that Mr. DeFilippo had ''reassured UConn and the other Big East members about continued allegiance and loyalty.''
Mr. Blumenthal said that the plaintiffs were seeking financial compensation in the hundreds of millions of dollars caused by the possible loss of broadcast and other revenues associated with a devaluation of the Big East, and are also seeking a court order stopping any other wrongdoing.]

So whether it is fair or unfair, Blumenthal is a bit of a lightening rod on this. What Geno said is true - the lawsuits were stupid and have caused us some trouble. But as I have noted they also presented the likes of BC with useful pretense to disguise their dislike for competing with us generally. As far as you being egomaniacal regarding your knowledge of the law, don't worry I hope we'll continue help it wear off soon. The greater risk in your profession is becoming educated beyond your intelligence. If you would like, I can act as a sentinel and remind you every time I perceive it to be a problem. In fairness, while I am somewhat disturbed by your recent posts, I recognize we have a lot more in common then we don't. We share a frustration concerning UConn's position in CR for myriad reasons. I think we all have a common goal for UConn and CR. Indeed, we probably will be equally happy when UConn is finally situated in an approprite conference.

Have a good weekend.

Reaction Score
If you can't read your first paragraph and conclude that you are not in a position to rationally discuss Blumenthal's role in conference realignment, you need to take a long look in the mirror. And for what it's worth, I think he's done many good things and also that he is a publicity hound and his lies about serving in Nam border somewhere between the insane and unconscionable.

Having said that, understand the logical absurdity of your statement. The Chancellor of Pitt chairs a committee of university presidents that hires Skadden to sue the ACC. The group, advised by Skadden, makes a strategic decision that the best venue to sue the ACC and the named defendants is in Connecticut. And because Pitt, advised by Skadden, elects to bring the suit in Connecticut to suit their interests, it's fine to vote to admit Pitt to the ACC but not UConn -- they are located in a state in which it was tactically preferable to bring the suit in.

Even hating Blumenthal, you can't see how stupid that is?

You're crazy if you think Blowhard Blumenthal had nothing to do with where we are today. We can analyze what happened all day long but the bottom line is there are many things that are illogical and absurd with Conference Realignment. The ACC has taken 7 teams and the B1G took Rutgers and the Catholic schools make more money for one sport while UCONN, the school that carried the Big East for the last decade is still stuck here. CT politicians have had a lot to do with that fact. Good ole boys do not appreciate Yankee lawyers messing around in their business. Especially loud mouthed attention whores.

Reaction Score
Sorry to prolong this, but whether or not Pitt was initially more responsible for bringing the litigation, it's UConn that wears the mantle of the instigator. Whether it's merely urban legend or the product of a CT Attorney General so eager to have the stage that he publicly, loudly and repeatedly co-opted Pitt's (and/or Skadden's') leadership role, we are the ones who suffer the put-downs at ACC gatherings.
I've recounted this previously but my good friend who plays golf with Jim Boeheim asked him what he thought about UConn getting into the conference when he saw him after his first ACC meeting in Carolina. Boeheim told him that while it made sense, he doubted it after hearing all the surprising (to him) bitter vitriol aimed at UConn over "that lawsuit". Whoever said perception is reality is on to something. And perception, blurred at the start, tends to harden as the prevailing narrative gains it's footing by a constant re-telling

Reaction Score
The proof in the pudding of UConn's value to SNY is this. SNY had been trying for years to get coverage on CT. cable systems not in Fairfield County with little success. Once UConn signed it's contract with SNY the cable systems buckled & SNY was on every system seemingly within a month.
Unfortunately for me, not on Dish. Not on basic Dish, not on any of Dish's premium packages. Anybody thinking of changing over to Dish would be wise to remember that.

Reaction Score
Hogwash. Utter and complete hogwash. The litigation was being run by Skadden. Blumenthal was just the public spokesman. Anyone who thinks Pitt and WVU and Rutgers was ignoring the way Skadden wanted the litigation played and was instead relying on Blumenthal's opinions and strategies is insane.

When you hear someone from the outside say "it's because of Blumenthal,", what do you expect them to say? It's because we don't want to have to compete with UConn? It's because we can make more money by leaving UConn on the outside? Those are all evidence of per se antitrust violations. They point to Blumenthal to explain decisions that are illegal but they don't want to publicly admit are illegal.

God, I wish people were smarter than this.
BL, your arguments are universally respected here but you shouldn't use that to attempt to bully people. Just because I might not know what antitrust evidence per se is doesn't make me stupid. Educating us burnishes your credentials; calling us names doesn't.

The litigation may have been run by Skadden, whoever that is, but it greater hogwash to suggest that lawyers run lawsuits in a vacuum. Of course the "public spokesman" (and others) had input into the strategies and tactics employed.

Finally, I don't believe it's always all about the money or competitive advantage. I believe BC genuinely harbors resentment toward UConn over that lawsuit. Do I think they would leave money on the table because of that resentment? Yes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are not impressing me with your knowledge of the law. Ever been sued? or have someone other than a client get sued? say a close personal friend? For those not jaded by the experience of making a living in the legal arena, litigation that names you personally creates rancor and bitterness beyond proportion. In these matters, appearance becomes reality and Blumenthal happily played the lead "bad cop" throughout. They all seem to remember him as the villian - in Chestnut Hill in Charlotte in Miami.

Read Blumenthal's comments from the NYT in 2003 below:

['The reason these lawsuits are critically important to Connecticut are UConn spent tens of millions of dollars on a new stadium and to upgrade its football program,'' Mr. Blumenthal said. ''There has been substantial damage to our state by the illegal scheme of these schools and the A.C.C. to destroy the Big East.'' He said that action was taken against Mr. DeFilippo because he allegedly misused information about the Big East's future plans as chairman of the Big East's athletic directors committee and misled Big East officials regarding the school's intention of staying in the conference. Mr. Blumenthal said that Mr. DeFilippo had ''reassured UConn and the other Big East members about continued allegiance and loyalty.''
Mr. Blumenthal said that the plaintiffs were seeking financial compensation in the hundreds of millions of dollars caused by the possible loss of broadcast and other revenues associated with a devaluation of the Big East, and are also seeking a court order stopping any other wrongdoing.]

So whether it is fair or unfair, Blumenthal is a bit of a lightening rod on this. What Geno said is true - the lawsuits were stupid and have caused us some trouble. But as I have noted they also presented the likes of BC with useful pretense to disguise their dislike for competing with us generally. As far as you being egomaniacal regarding your knowledge of the law, don't worry I hope we'll continue help it wear off soon. The greater risk in your profession is becoming educated beyond your intelligence. If you would like, I can act as a sentinel and remind you every time I perceive it to be a problem. In fairness, while I am somewhat disturbed by your recent posts, I recognize we have a lot more in common then we don't. We share a frustration concerning UConn's position in CR for myriad reasons. I think we all have a common goal for UConn and CR. Indeed, we probably will be equally happy when UConn is finally situated in an approprite conference.

Have a good weekend.

I have been sued twice. I have friends who have been sued.

Reaction Score
I Left Dish As Soon As Their Dispute With Sny Started. Their Customer Service Tried Bully Tactics In Trying To Keep Me From Leaving. I Won't Use Them Again If Their Service Is Free.

Reaction Score
I Left Dish As Soon As Their Dispute With Sny Started. Their Customer Service Tried Bully Tactics In Trying To Keep Me From Leaving. I Won't Use Them Again If Their Service Is Free.
I'm in the process of extricating myself from Dish which my wife loves and I like their pricing. Once gone, just like a lot of others I've left for less than satisfactory treatment, they'll spend a bundle of money trying to get me back. Should have thought of that when I told you I was unhappy I tell them. Like you, once I'm gone, I'm gone.

Reaction Score
Swofford, Leahy and DeFillipo knew who called them out in front of the media. Being named personally cost them, the school and the the ACC lots more money for lawyers than if the correct path was followed to just sue the schools and the conference. And the person who was the mouthpiece for the State of CT and Uconn at the time was the biggest shouter of all. Even louder than Skaden guy, which is actually hard to believe. The presidents know who filed the lawsuit, all of the schools. They also know who was the biggest shouter and gave the appearance of leading the charge. It is not a major factor in everything since, but it is not a minor factor either. If it wasn't a factor like you believe, it would not still be coming up with people that actually might know more than me or you. People like Calhoun and Geno. Or are they morons too?

Calhoun didn't help matters one bit when he made his grandstanding comments on the steps of the courthouse either. I love him to death...but he owns some of the responsibility for this as well.

Reaction Score
Calhoun didn't help matters one bit when he made his grandstanding comments on the steps of the courthouse either. I love him to death...but he owns some of the responsibility for this as well.
Hence, Geno's comments "we did some dumb things". Hey, I am not going to lie. At the time I was in favor of everything the school and others did publicly. Looking back I wished they did things differently. Geno's comments tell me they wished had also.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
noeynox said:
Hence, Geno's comments "we did some dumb things". Hey, I am not going to lie. At the time I was in favor of everything the school and others did publicly. Looking back I wished they did things differently. Geno's comments tell me they wished had also.
This. Hindsight is 20/20 but at the time I wanted to burn down the ACC Miami and BC. I still say f them.
And Calhoun can say whatever he wants whenever he wants - past present or future. He brought us 3 championships and KO. Without him we wouldn't even be having CR discussions

pj

Reaction Score
It probably wouldn't hurt for ol Dickie to fall on his sword, say what an egotistical jerk he was for his role, apologize to all in the lawsuit, and make a nice donation to BC.

A contribution to BC is going too far. I'd rather stay in the AAC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It makes me laugh that so many people believe that UConn is being excluded from the ACC over hurt feelings. It is being excluded because the certain presidents and ADs feel that it is the best interests of their institutions to exclude them. That's what executives do. They pursue course of action that best position their business enterprises to pursue their long term goals. The lawsuit didn't change that nor would its absence change it.

GDF plainly stated why BCU acted to block Connecticut. It wasn't that his feeling were hurt. It was because he and his administration felt that they could not compete against Connecticut on a level playing field. People were making business decisions in multi-million dollar enterprise and not sulking over perceived slights like a teenage girl. But I'm sure he is wrong and you guys are right.

Reaction Score
Let's hope that Tulane can fill those 24,000 seats.

I hope so too, but have my doubts.

I have lived in Baton Rouge for 31 years. In the Eighties, Tulane's program was fairly healthy. They gave LSU some good games. Tulane went 12-0 back in 1998.

However, lately (and since Katrina), Tulane has played in a cavern (Superdome). I was at the Syracuse/Tulane game a couple of years ago.

There were only about 5,000 people in the 65,000 seat Superdome. Probably 2,000 were Syracuse fans. It is a shame what has happened to its program.

I wish them well and hope that they rebound.

Reaction Score
It makes me laugh that so many people believe that UConn is being excluded from the ACC over hurt feelings. It is being excluded because the certain presidents and ADs feel that it is the best interests of their institutions to exclude them. That's what executives do. They pursue course of action that best position their business enterprises to pursue their long term goals. The lawsuit didn't change that nor would its absence change it.

GDF plainly stated why BCU acted to block Connecticut. It wasn't that his feeling were hurt. It was because he and his administration felt that they could not compete against Connecticut on a level playing field. People were making business decisions in multi-million dollar enterprise and not sulking over perceived slights like a teenage girl. But I'm sure he is wrong and you guys are right.

Or your right and Geno thinks like 16 yearly old girl.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or your right and Geno thinks like 16 yearly old girl.
Well that would explain why he is so successful coaching them....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom