Geno Responds to Muffet’s Comments | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno Responds to Muffet’s Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
First, I love a good row / verbal smackdown between Muffet McGraw and Geno Auriemma. It adds an extra layer to my enjoyment of WCBB.

Second, while Rebecca Lobo was referring to Jackie Young and Diana Taurasi - after which Taurasi WENT OFF, leading Phoenix past Las Vegas and to the 2021 WNBA Finals, I believe Lobo's quote is equally applicable in this situation. ;-)

1641350025827.png

Reaction Score
that's your opinion.
Before last year, when he made the comment, Oats was pretty much a nobody. He has been at Bama for 1 year and was 16-15.
If you listed the top 50 active/retired coaches as of 2020, he would not have been close to that list.

Reaction Score
This Muffet thing geez.... I actually am amused by it.... but she really designed aself-serving way to criticize Geno and she did. So whatever she gets in return is fair game.

Muffet was a very good coach no doubt. She has 2 championships to her name, and has had some great teams and great players come through South Bend..... there was an early stretch in the early 2010's when she really had Geno's number.... won 6 in a row against him i think.....

But seldom achieved the big wins vs. him.... certainly in 2001 with the Ruth Riley team, and the buzzer beater in national semis in 2018 i think..... Everything else UConn swept

But Holy Cow, what is this boo-hoo about UConn advantage with ESPN? and media bias..... I do not see UConn complain about the Notre Dame teflon shield..... the prestigious private Catholic university where people go to take in the aora.... go to the grotto and pray.... knowing they are part of the right side of things.....

ND athletic recruits go there..... see the Golden Dome.... the football stadium and its hallowed history..... Touchdown Jesus, and all the panache and dripping sentiment coming out of there..... as opposed to driving down 195... up and over a hill... where a big cow farm is on the left and a Welcome to Univ of Connecticut sign on the right.... thank goodness we have been coddled and favored by ESPN all this time... how would we have made it otherwise.....

My thinking is that any person who does not acknowledge reality - at least being polite - like at the Player of the Year ceremony (snubbing by MM and team) when Stewart won the award..... does not even deserve ANY credibility when she utters any opinion at all. On anything. And the dig saying Conn has won more than anyone else... except Tennessee.... that doesn't even bother us at UConn.... because nothing speaks truth like numbers.....

Muffet you were a really good coach..... but if you want to get down in the mud.... yes a lot of us would love to have a forum with you where we can talk about past achievements, suggested biases, athletic prowess, and anything else you would like.

Someone get the snacks and refreshments..... someone compile Tennessee's actual numbers versus us, get the specifics out of Muffet on HOW ESPN favors us and how its net affect lifts our program. And someone gather the points we can debate for the advantages inherent in being Notre Dame.... at the end of this forum, maybe Muffet would get it, or maybe she still wouldn't.... one thing for sure is, it would make her realize that she is best retired!!

Reaction Score
This Muffet thing geez.... I actually am amused by it.... but she really designed aself-serving way to criticize Geno and she did. So whatever she gets in return is fair game.

Muffet was a very good coach no doubt. She has 2 championships to her name, and has had some great teams and great players come through South Bend..... there was an early stretch in the early 2010's when she really had Geno's number.... won 6 in a row against him i think.....

But seldom achieved the big wins vs. him.... certainly in 2001 with the Ruth Riley team, and the buzzer beater in national semis in 2018 i think..... Everything else UConn swept

But Holy Cow, what is this boo-hoo about UConn advantage with ESPN? and media bias..... I do not see UConn complain about the Notre Dame teflon shield..... the prestigious private Catholic university where people go to take in the aora.... go to the grotto and pray.... knowing they are part of the right side of things.....

ND athletic recruits go there..... see the Golden Dome.... the football stadium and its hallowed history..... Touchdown Jesus, and all the panache and dripping sentiment coming out of there..... as opposed to driving down 195... up and over a hill... where a big cow farm is on the left and a Welcome to Univ of Connecticut sign on the right.... thank goodness we have been coddled and favored by ESPN all this time... how would we have made it otherwise.....

My thinking is that any person who does not acknowledge reality - at least being polite - like at the Player of the Year ceremony (snubbing by MM and team) when Stewart won the award..... does not even deserve ANY credibility when she utters any opinion at all. On anything. And the dig saying Conn has won more than anyone else... except Tennessee.... that doesn't even bother us at UConn.... because nothing speaks truth like numbers.....

Muffet you were a really good coach..... but if you want to get down in the mud.... yes a lot of us would love to have a forum with you where we can talk about past achievements, suggested biases, athletic prowess, and anything else you would like.

Someone get the snacks and refreshments..... someone compile Tennessee's actual numbers versus us, get the specifics out of Muffet on HOW ESPN favors us and how its net affect lifts our program. And someone gather the points we can debate for the advantages inherent in being Notre Dame.... at the end of this forum, maybe Muffet would get it, or maybe she still wouldn't.... one thing for sure is, it would make her realize that she is best retired!!
And don't forget this! It only happens at Notre Dame...so a movie was needed.
Rudy! Rudy!

Reaction Score
Before last year, when he made the comment, Oats was pretty much a nobody. He has been at Bama for 1 year and was 16-15.
If you listed the top 50 active/retired coaches as of 2020, he would not have been close to that list.
And lists of the top 50 of anything, are, oh yeah, nothing but opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And lists of the top 50 of anything, are, oh yeah, nothing but opinion.
he doesn't know anything about Nate Oats cause he's a casual. He went 27-9 and 32-4 at Buffalo is that good? An incredible job he has done at Alabama.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Strength in silence. Geno should have not lowered himself into a spitting match with a has been.
You may be correct. But I have to ask the question, how often did Kim turn the other cheek when her program was unfairly criticized at Baylor?

Reaction Score
It is interesting that Muffet..... you can throw in Pat Summit as well..... go merrily along.... doing very well.... plying their craft, that is until they get a bump in the road in the form of a challenge from a good UConn team with good coaches.....

and then they shoot themselves in the foot in a rather public way.....

Reaction Score
Kim is not an example to follow on self control with the media! Just because I’m a BU fan does not mean I endorsed her antics. Classy behavior, the high road, is never a bad choice. Ever.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is interesting that Muffet..... you can throw in Pat Summit as well..... go merrily along.... doing very well.... plying their craft, that is until they get a bump in the road in the form of a challenge from a good UConn team with good coaches.....

I wouldn’t necessarily throw MM and Pat in the same boat. MM has no filter and says things that PO a lot of people, not just Geno.

As for Pat, she was generally well liked by just about everyone in the game, and was generally viewed as both gracious and decent. A young, brash Geno could get under her skin like nobody else. I give her a pass for the infamous 40-page memo to the NCAA. She was pushed by a rabid LV fan base at a time when she was likely suffering from some of the early symptoms of Alzheimer’s, the deadly disease that took her life.

As for MM, she has no excuse for the bitter and thoughtless comments she too often levels at UConn, Louisville, men’s coaches in general and many other subjects she chooses to expound on.

Reaction Score

Yeah not sure what Pat has to do with this ......Let her rest in peace

Reaction Score
he doesn't know anything about Nate Oats cause he's a casual. He went 27-9 and 32-4 at Buffalo is that good? An incredible job he has done at Alabama.

The idea that Nate Oats is in any way comparable to the stature of MM is laughable.

The idea that Nate Oats LAST YEAR was in any way comparable to the stature of MM is almost as absurd as the claim that ESPN is biased for UConn.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
This is a thread about Geno & Muffet, not some men’s coach at a mid-major. Who cares about this guy no one on this board has heard of? Take it to the men’s board

Reaction Score
Hmmm. A Muffit/Geno spat pops up just as UConn fans begin to lose interest due to non-activity and aren't reading ESPN's wcbb web page.

I am not going to bite on what I still strongly suspect is a 90% put on designed to garner clicks. These two aren't saying anything to each other that I wouldn't say to a friend as we wait to tee off in a golf match. It's Philadelphia trash talk. Just like putting UConn out of the top 10 has conveniently provided an instant rash of social media comments like McGraw's or actual "fall of the empire" posts that are mostly hot air. And it comes as games are being "postponed" on a daily basis and the season seems under threat.

Reaction Score
As fans of UConn women's basketball we support Geno and his team, but I wouldn't count on
much support from fans of other programs. (Ask yourself how you feel about Alabama football)

[ ]
I don’t like Alabama football, but I sure do admire them.

Reaction Score
It is amazing to me how many people think you should not respond when others say untrue or unfair things about you or something important to you! I don’t agree with that at all! If you let that stuff go, it will simply invite more of the same and makes it easier and more likely that others will believe the original remarks to be true. I applaud Geno’s response and am very glad to see the old dog has not lost his bite!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Submitted without comment:

It would be really interesting to hear these two “reporters” critically review MM’s original comments with the same energy and enthusiasm as they do Geno’s. This is lazy, one-sided journalism.

Actually, it’s not even journalism. It’s a hit job masquerading as editorial opinion.

Reaction Score
That Tweet was from when Geno passed Pat in wins, not from this mess.

But if you’d like to support Alysa, her book came out a few days ago on Kindle and I’m sure she’d be pleased as punch if more folks bought copies.

What tweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits