Geno Responds to Muffet’s Comments | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno Responds to Muffet’s Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I can't believe the crap that other Board comes up with about Geno. Now this Muffet thing has a life of its own over there. If we do anything this season, we have to beat Tennessee. If we beat them, that will be our signature win of the season. It will be a while before I go over there again, these people are so vile, just unbelievable.

Reaction Score
ND football was exclusive to NBC for years because they were independent of a conference. I don't know if the football team is in the ACC now or not.

I'm definitely dating myself, but NBC used to also have ND Men's basketball broadcast rights when Digger Phelps was their head coach (early/mid 90s?).

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I can't believe the crap that other Board comes up with about Geno. Now this Muffet thing has a life of its own over there. If we do anything this season, we have to beat Tennessee. If we beat them, that will be our signature win of the season. It will be a while before I go over there again, these people are so vile, just unbelievable.
If you are referring to a Tenn board, simply logging in diminishes one’s IQ. Best to avoid.

Reaction Score
I need help understanding this ongoing saga as I don't fully understand the issue. If someone could help me understand what I may be missing, I'd appreciate it.

From my view, ESPN focusing their coverage on specific teams/markets isn't unusual but isn't it based on what generates ratings for them? They're going to publish what gets them marketing dollars, so if UConn sells, they'll lead with them. I'm sure there are fans who say the same about the men's programs for Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc., but they're the programs fans are interested in for various reasons.

I see it no different as how they focus on certain franchises from different leagues. They have specific pages targeted at specific markets (Dallas, Boston, Los Angeles, etc.). As a Raptors fan, I would see a lot of comments about an American bias towards the team because they play north of the border. The frustration, especially after they won their championship was even more so. As much as it did irk me, I also understand that ESPN's dollars are based on what fans respond to.

At the same time, I do understand why people are asking for expanded coverage of other teams. There are some great stories and players out there who deserve coverage. Could ESPN help promote them more, sure, but they'll likely do it when they see it being beneficial to their bottom line. Heck, they probably should be doing a better job covering women's sports beyond the ESPNW page which is woefully lacking if you ask me. The same could be said for a lot of the different media outlets out there.

To lay blame at UConn's feet though isn't fair in my opinion.
The media has always gone and accentuated what is hot at the time.... I remember when the recently passed John Madden could only talk about the greatness and wizardry of Mark Bavaro and the New York Giants..... then couple of years later, started a non stop loop from him on the amazing Brett Favre and the Packers.... You go with what is topical and the flavor of the month.... UConn womens hoops has been hot for a lot of the last 30 years.....

Reaction Score
Muffet brought up NBC and ND in an effort to inoculate herself from claims of hypocrisy in claiming ESPN is Connecticut’s network, as if the two are remotely the same. So transparent and dumb.

I find it intriguing that MM waited until UConn showed some vulnerability (injury and youth being contributing factors) to deliver her analysis. I continue to believe that two of the more unattractive human emotions played a part in her timing: envy and jealousy. I became a fan of Geno, while coaching myself, for two reasons; whatever he achieved he built, not inherited or purchased, and his tendency to be brutally candid. He said what many coaches had thought many times, he just had the nerve to say them publicly. Whether I agreed with all of them or not I admired the fact it wasn’t coach speak, it was what he actually believed.
I have no clue whether Geno’s broadsides will have their intended purpose or not, and most of us in his position probably would not have been as bold, but that’s his modus operinda.
I do know that when I am tempted to try to refute someone’s slights I remember some pretty good advice my Father gave me many moons ago: “never argue with a fool, the bystanders may not know which one is which”.

Reaction Score
As fans of UConn women's basketball we support Geno and his team, but I wouldn't count on
much support from fans of other programs. (Ask yourself how you feel about Alabama football)

[ ]

Reaction Score
I think she meant the football team, but that's a poor analogy because ND games were exclusively broadcast by NBC while UConn women's basketball have generally had its games on various channels. In the last ten years or so, in a normal season, 18 games were on SNY, 2 on CBS Sports, and then the rest on one of ESPN's channels mainly because UConn was always willing to play in their big prime time slots in Jan/Feb, and of course the conference and NCAA tournament games also covered by ESPN (like most schools). ESPN by itself was not really the big advantage she makes it out to be. TBH the media credit should go to CPTV because at the time that was a pretty unique deal to have all of the games broadcast. Some one correct me on the exact history of this I was not alive for the early days.
Notre Dame football home games are exclusively on NBC but their away games aren't.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maria Cornelius is a writer?
In the sense that Jayson Blair, Jack Kelley, and Sabrina Rubin-Erdely were also "writers".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What did MM mean when she said that ND has NBC?
ND WBB is in the ACC which all of their games are broadcast by ESPN.
What does NBC have to do with ND WBB?

All 135 ACC regular-season conference games will be available through the ESPN family of networks, including ACC Network, the conference's Regional Sports Networks (RSN) or ACC Network Extra.

The ND football team has a deal with NBC sports broadcaster home games. That’s what I think she was referring to, but you make a good point since the comment was about women’s basketball.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Jordan Cornett’s husband played basketball for Notre Dame, she played for Indiana. Couple of homers, nothing t see there
Jordan is the husband. Shae is the wife

Reaction Score
Muffet brought up NBC and ND in an effort to inoculate herself from claims of hypocrisy in claiming ESPN is Connecticut’s network, as if the two are remotely the same. So transparent and dumb.
She's still a hypocrite. She's suggesting that ESPN spread the wealth around, but she thinks no men should be allowed to coach women's college BB. Other games are on ESPN, but I'm sure even the tv audience isn't something to write home about. The best teams are highlighted because....it's profitable and entertaining. The "E" in ESPN stands for ENTERTAINING. If Muffet was really trying to target ESPN in her comments, then she wouldn't be taking money from the ACCN which is OWNED and OPERATED by....$ESPN!

Reaction Score
I'm all for strong women, but if you pick a fight and get punched in the face...please don't cry victim. Scream...equality! Muffet IS NOT the victim here. She knew exactly what she was doing.

Truth.

Reaction Score
By opposing fan bases.

Any respected former coaches or members of the media say that?
Nate Oatts said Coach K wanted the season cancelled because his team sucked last season. I didn't hear an outrage.

Reaction Score
Nate Oatts said Coach K wanted the season cancelled because his team sucked last season. I didn't hear an outrage.
1) Nate Oats wasnt anybody
2) He was correct, as Duke missed the NCAAs for the first time since 1995

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member