Geno Responds to Muffet’s Comments | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno Responds to Muffet’s Comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FWIW. the world at large doesn’t care what these two say about each other. But there is no doubt that Muffet is one jealous person and has a just a bit of that ND superiority complex when it comes to living off of Knute Rockne. In the back or maybe in the front of her mind, she knows her first NC arrived thanks to UConn’s two veteran all Americans, Shea and Svet being unavailable and just maybe without that first the second never arrives. Good coach, but doesn’t know when to shut up. I think GA loves getting under her skin, but it’s all kinda schoolyard.
Its just a little harmless flirtation at this point

Reaction Score
She did disrespect the current players by saying “look how they’re doing without Paige.” There was no need to go there. Throwing shade towards Geno is one thing but doing it towards the UConn players was gratuitous, unnecessary and pretty hypocritical when you consider she recruited most of those players.

She also piled on Parker’s recent comments about the Olympic team, another topic she knows nothing about.

Seems to me you missed a lot of what she said.
She said we had 4 NPOY candidates on the pre-season list and since paige has went down those other candidates dont look worthy pretty much.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She said we had 4 NPOY candidates on the pre-season list and since paige has went down those other candidates dont look worthy pretty much.
Not sure what she is talking about. I thought she said the bias was from ESPN. ESPN put out a preseason Top 25 which included Paige as #1, Christyn Williams at #15 and Azzi as #25. Azzi has been injured and picking Christyn as #15 preseason after the end to last season doesn’t seem unreasonable.

What POY lists is she referring to? Naismith? Others? So they’re biased too? She just threw a bunch stuff out there based on what she has read on the internet. Like I said, a list of grievances that should be beneath most coaches of her statire

Reaction Score
When she says bias, she means an unfair advantage that UConn has received … as in they would not have been as successful without it … as in their achievements are to be diminished.

There has been a pretty consistent drumbeat against Geno for 35 years —
  • they only get so much attention because they’re near NYC media
  • they only win so much because they play in a bad conference
  • they only win so much because they have all the best players
  • they’re only so successful because ESPN supports them
Were the accomplishments of Wooden, Summitt, Saban diminished in this way?
In Men's basketball, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina have been accused of cheating and having unfair advantages over the decades.

Reaction Score
Why does he have to say anything? Clap back culture is ridiculous and childish.

Coach gotta respond. He was defending the negative narrative that has gotten out of hand about the suppose "UConn bias". We got folks talking about how there is a "UConn bias" for the Olympics and then this whole mess about the "ESPN bias". I am glad that Coach clapped back.

Reaction Score
My two cents: MM was admirable, but not likeable. She was sometimes right, and often wrong (who isn't?). But what tipped the scales for me was her desperate need to win at all costs, her pathetic excuses for any losses, her obsession with perceived slights, and her disrespect for other teams' players. (Didn't she have some press conference where she refused to even acknowledge Stewie was player of the year?)

MM needs to learn to
giphy.gif
I agree perfectly with your 3rd sentence, but having said that I can't even get close to calling her admirable.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Coach gotta respond. He was defending the negative narrative that has gotten out of hand about the suppose "UConn bias". We got folks talking about how there is a "UConn bias" for the Olympics and then this whole mess about the "ESPN bias". I am glad that Coach clapped back.
He really didn’t “clap back“ so much in that he just responded to a reporter’s questions.

Reaction Score
Why does he have to say anything? Clap back culture is ridiculous and childish.
Wrong! When you don’t respond to untruths/unfair/biased comments, they often become seen as truth! For my part, I’m happy to see Geno responding to what I see as ridiculous, spiteful comments by an emotionally immature woman who clearly is desperate for some attention!

The most ridiculous thing about her comments is that 20 years ago, she might have had somewhat of a point. I think ESPN was not biased perhaps, but shall we say, approving and respectful of UConn’s preeminence. Today however, imo that has undergone a complete turnaround! They almost openly root against us now!

Muffet clearly still nurtures her resentment of Geno/UConn’s dominance over her and her underachieving program! Sad that a woman who should be basking in the glow of her undeniable accomplishments should be so narcissistic and petty! Perhaps she could alleviate her obvious boredom/attention jones by forming a band called MM & the Floppers!

Reaction Score
Hate to see Geno's responses to Muffet's rediculous comments. Sometimes entertaining, but beneath him.
He is well within his rights to defend himself and his team I for one am sick of all the Geno and Uconn bashing. The haters need to grow up and worry about more important things instead of continually harboring this jealousy. Muffet's problem is and I have always said this she does not want any male coaching in women's basketball her issue has not been just with Geno and Uconn how about Louisville and the snub toward Asia Durr. She seems to think women are the superior when it comes to coaching womens basketball. That is just not realistic. Just so everyone knows I too am a women. Jealousy and resentment are terrible things to harbor just think of all the wasted energy.

Reaction Score
I need help understanding this ongoing saga as I don't fully understand the issue. If someone could help me understand what I may be missing, I'd appreciate it.

From my view, ESPN focusing their coverage on specific teams/markets isn't unusual but isn't it based on what generates ratings for them? They're going to publish what gets them marketing dollars, so if UConn sells, they'll lead with them. I'm sure there are fans who say the same about the men's programs for Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, etc., but they're the programs fans are interested in for various reasons.

I see it no different as how they focus on certain franchises from different leagues. They have specific pages targeted at specific markets (Dallas, Boston, Los Angeles, etc.). As a Raptors fan, I would see a lot of comments about an American bias towards the team because they play north of the border. The frustration, especially after they won their championship was even more so. As much as it did irk me, I also understand that ESPN's dollars are based on what fans respond to.

At the same time, I do understand why people are asking for expanded coverage of other teams. There are some great stories and players out there who deserve coverage. Could ESPN help promote them more, sure, but they'll likely do it when they see it being beneficial to their bottom line. Heck, they probably should be doing a better job covering women's sports beyond the ESPNW page which is woefully lacking if you ask me. The same could be said for a lot of the different media outlets out there.

To lay blame at UConn's feet though isn't fair in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Connecticut was a hot spot for business, Indiana, not so much.
NBC Sports and its family of channels like Golf Channel, etc. moved into a new big headquarters in Stamford in recent years, so ESPN has some competition in the state!

Reaction Score
When she says bias, she means an unfair advantage that UConn has received … as in they would not have been as successful without it … as in their achievements are to be diminished.

One difference is that those three all played in a P-5 football conference.

Reaction Score
He is well within his rights to defend himself and his team I for one am sick of all the Geno and Uconn bashing. The haters need to grow up and worry about more important things instead of continually harboring this jealousy. Muffet's problem is and I have always said this she does not want any male coaching in women's basketball her issue has not been just with Geno and Uconn how about Louisville and the snub toward Asia Durr. She seems to think women are the superior when it comes to coaching womens basketball. That is just not realistic. Just so everyone knows I too am a women. Jealousy and resentment are terrible things to harbor just think of all the wasted energy.

Yes!! Another woman who shares my views. IMO it is idiotic to close the WBB coaching ranks to male coaches, that would just harm the young women MM supposedly cares so much about. A good coach is a good coach whether they're a man or a woman.

sun

Reaction Score
NBC Sports and its family of channels like Golf Channel, etc. moved into a new big headquarters in Stamford in recent years, so ESPN has some competition in the state!

What did MM mean when she said that ND has NBC?
ND WBB is in the ACC which all of their games are broadcast by ESPN.
What does NBC have to do with ND WBB?

All 135 ACC regular-season conference games will be available through the ESPN family of networks, including ACC Network, the conference's Regional Sports Networks (RSN) or ACC Network Extra.

Reaction Score

No. Perhaps enough time has passed that they should be re-examined more closely though??? Time can either distort or clear the view.

Reaction Score

All 135 ACC regular-season conference games will be available through the ESPN family of networks, including ACC Network, the conference's Regional Sports Networks (RSN) or ACC Network Extra.

ND football was exclusive to NBC for years because they were independent of a conference. I don't know if the football team is in the ACC now or not.

Reaction Score
All Geno had to say to Muffet… Win 11 Titles a good go to 13 straight final four then see all the attention you get. Look at all what Dawn’s getting

Reaction Score
ND football was exclusive to NBC for years because they were independent of a conference. I don't know if the football team is in the ACC now or not.
The football team is in an "alliance" with the ACC and must play 5 ACC teams per year but are still considered independent. They did play a ACC schedule in 2020 due to Covid. They remain independent in football and likely will as long as they have their own deal with NBC.

Reaction Score

I think she meant the football team, but that's a poor analogy because ND games were exclusively broadcast by NBC while UConn women's basketball have generally had its games on various channels. In the last ten years or so, in a normal season, 18 games were on SNY, 2 on CBS Sports, and then the rest on one of ESPN's channels mainly because UConn was always willing to play in their big prime time slots in Jan/Feb, and of course the conference and NCAA tournament games also covered by ESPN (like most schools). ESPN by itself was not really the big advantage she makes it out to be. TBH the media credit should go to CPTV because at the time that was a pretty unique deal to have all of the games broadcast. Some one correct me on the exact history of this I was not alive for the early days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom