Geno out Again against Xavier | The Boneyard

Geno out Again against Xavier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Did the team even fly home after the Butler game or did they go to Ohio directly for the Xavier game instead?

Reaction Score
I hope Geno takes the time to get completely over his challenges before he comes back. I am sure losing his mom was emotionally draining for him. Add feeling under the weather from whatever creeping crud of the week is going around I hope that he makes himself and his health his first priority. He has a capable coaching staff and a good bunch of kids that seem like they would run through a wall for him so I think the program is in good hands.

Reaction Score
He has a capable coaching staff and a good bunch of kids that seem like they would run through a wall for him so I think the program is in good hands.
He has a great staff, and any one of them could take his place for a game or two. However, at one point in the Butler game, the camera panned across the bench and Jamelle and Morgan were sitting behind CD had they these odd expressions on their faces, like they felt simply lost, maybe even existential dread :) or something. It was actually a bit comical.

Reaction Score
I'm just saying. I'm 65, I think Geno's 68. Age is pretty much undefeated. It just gets harder. Recovery is tougher. We're not as active. Gravity starts to overcome. Metabolism slows down. I probably don't go a day without thinking about retirement. I'm an 8th grade science teacher, facilitator of after-school activities, and coach. Do the math, especially the 8th grade part.
I'll probably get 5 thumbs down on this but he's going to retire some day. He could even retire and stay in the wings. He is so savvy and professional that however he chooses to do it, he will do it right.
He will leave in a way that does not hurt the team but gives the team a jolt of positive energy, the impetus to excel. (as if they don't already have that) I don't think he would want some yearlong celebration or swan song. That would distract attention from the players and he would not have that. Could it be this year? Right now?
This team can win it all! I don't care if SC has an NBA front line, they're not that good. How many sloppy first halves have YOU seen them play this year? Stanford is no better than last year. Like Kevin Ollie, let the successor go back-to-back with a healthy PB.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Our schedule going forward has the team going back and forth playing home and away. That means a bus ride, or a plane ride a couple times a week. Thats taxing enough, but what about the mental side. CD and everyone else talks about the injury thing taking a toll on the players, but what about Geno. Having to coach a different team every game, not knowing who will show up, and trying his best to brush all of this off is ridiculous. My mind is blown, so what about him? The only thing that can help him is for the team to stabilize, with the injury bug to stop so he can do the job he is hired to do. The last two years would be hard to take by a young guy, so hopefully Geno will rest and let his competent staff make all decisions going forward until he is ready. Geno, rest up now, we will need you later when the stakes are higher. We love you and need you to be at your best. Please relax and go Huskies.

Reaction Score
Our schedule going forward has the team going back and forth playing home and away. That means a bus ride, or a plane ride a couple times a week. Thats taxing enough, but what about the mental side. CD and everyone else talks about the injury thing taking a toll on the players, but what about Geno. Having to coach a different team every game, not knowing who will show up, and trying his best to brush all of this off is ridiculous. My mind is blown, so what about him? The only thing that can help him is for the team to stabilize, with the injury bug to stop so he can do the job he is hired to do. The last two years would be hard to take by a young guy, so hopefully Geno will rest and let his competent staff make all decisions going forward until he is ready. Geno, rest up now, we will need you later when the stakes are higher. We love you and need you to be at your best. Please relax and go Huskies.
IMO he's hired to lead the UConn women's basketball team. Whatever comes with that. He doesn't need excuses. He's the best because he can respond and coach whatever the circumstances. The COVID year he was brilliant. Last year he was brilliant. And this year the same.

Reaction Score
Makes sense for him to take time now to rest and recuperate. Coach CD is more than capable of handling things in the meantime.

Age, travel, and the loss of his mother — plus all the usual day every day stresses of being the UConn head coach — can’t have been easy for him. Get better soon, Geno.

Reaction Score
It's hard to disagree with the sentiment that Geno needs to take care of himself and get well. However, my concern is what kind of toll the extra pressure and duties are taking on CD's health. We all recall the incident at the NC State game. Wishes for good health go out to both Geno and CD.

Reaction Score
With the schedule going forward, team is going back and forth playing at home and away games, how about, for the next 2-3 weeks, Geno will coach home games and CD will do the away. That way, he doesn’t have to travel, and it takes less toll on CD.

Reaction Score
In one of the pre-game/post-game interviews with CD, she noted the decision was "above her pay grade." It's in the hands of the doctors/athletic trainers/athlete.
Yea but once they approve it the coach puts players in the game. No way is she making that decision with Geno out.

Reaction Score
I'm just saying. I'm 65, I think Geno's 68. Age is pretty much undefeated. It just gets harder. Recovery is tougher. We're not as active. Gravity starts to overcome. Metabolism slows down. I probably don't go a day without thinking about retirement. I'm an 8th grade science teacher, facilitator of after-school activities, and coach. Do the math, especially the 8th grade part.
I'll probably get 5 thumbs down on this but he's going to retire some day. He could even retire and stay in the wings. He is so savvy and professional that however he chooses to do it, he will do it right.
He will leave in a way that does not hurt the team but gives the team a jolt of positive energy, the impetus to excel. (as if they don't already have that) I don't think he would want some yearlong celebration or swan song. That would distract attention from the players and he would not have that. Could it be this year? Right now?
This team can win it all! I don't care if SC has an NBA front line, they're not that good. How many sloppy first halves have YOU seen them play this year? Stanford is no better than last year. Like Kevin Ollie, let the successor go back-to-back with a healthy PB.
I’ll ignore your last paragraph.

I am 68 today. I am feeling all that stuff you mention. Aches, pains dwindling physical prowess etc. I ‘m getting ready to retire from my present work life but I’m not ready to completely retire. I hope to work SOME for the rest of my life.

I think the Geno will retire after next yea. But I don’t think hs will walk out the door. I think he stays for CD in some capacity.

BTW, what is CD’s “official title?” Is she an “ “assistant head coach!”

Reaction Score

I am 68 today. I am feeling all that stuff you mention. Aches, pains dwindling physical prowess etc. I ‘m getting ready to retire from my present work life but I’m not ready to completely retire. I hope to work SOME for the rest of my life.

I think the Geno will retire after next yea. But I don’t think hs will walk out the door. I think he stays for CD in some capacity.

CD is Associate Head Coach. I think Tara uses that title for her chief assistant too.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

I don't think he retires with an another year of Paige and Azzi together. I'd expect another 5-10 years at least. I think he is struggling with grief and stress of injuries the last two years. Before the season even began he was talking about how much anxiety he had going into practive everyday wondering who might get hurt next.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score

Associate Head Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member