Geno on Next Year's Roster - Interesting Comments RE: Liv | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno on Next Year's Roster - Interesting Comments RE: Liv

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but Geno is full of it. Remember when Z came to Storrs? Z is much better than Dorka, and look what happened with Z. She came off the bench because Geno was comfortable with his starting 5. I expect Liv to continue anchoring the defense down low, until Dorka can prove she can play the same defense.
I think they will battle it out in practice. Whoever finishes better at the rim, along with defense and rebounding wins. If DJ shoots anywhere close to 40% from 3 as she did the year before, she will play heavy minutes.

I like the idea of having a 6'5 shot blocker coming in off the bench in Liv but having DJ coming off the bench is great too. Great signing by GA.

Reaction Score
Pretty presumptuous on your part, don't you think? Do you have access to all of the practices? Failure to meet high expectations at times is not necessarily the result of not "putting in the work",
Completely agree. Just my opinion from very afar but Ono’s habit of bringing the ball down is the biggest culprit. Muscle memory is difficult to reverse and I think the blocked shots, steals, etc. by much smaller players coupled with the pressure of “big games” has combined to cause her to “speed up” in those games, which another poster previously pointed out. To her credit, she certainly continued to rebound and play defense.

Reaction Score
I jsut don't see how there is going to be enough playing time for all ofthe players on the roster next year. Yes some may just come to be at UConn and be coached by Geno but all of them were full time players in HS and I don't think sitting on the bench until the last 5 minutes or hardly if at all playing in tournament games is what they had in mind. This transfer surely makes the team better, but someone is loosing minutes - possibly a lot of them.

Reaction Score
Clearly Geno saw the opportunity to get a new weapon in the frontcourt -- big body, 3 point threat, etc.. It is probably less important who starts, but the key is now he has 3-4 solid options, each with different strengths, in the front court.

Reaction Score
Pretty presumptuous on your part, don't you think? Do you have access to all of the practices? Failure to meet high expectations at times is not necessarily the result of not "putting in the work",
I live in paradise so no access to practice..have watched every game she has played at Uconn of course as have many others on the big screen and have said that she is serviceable. I used to drive a serviceable chevy malibu to work. But boy did I want a Range Rover.

Reaction Score
I live in paradise so no access to practice..have watched every game she has played at Uconn of course as have many others on the big screen and have said that she is serviceable. I used to drive a serviceable chevy malibu to work. But boy did I want a Range Rover.
I wonder if she cares what an Edsel thinks

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you look at Liv, her demeaner doesn't change at all during the game. She doesn't show any enthusiasm, even when she makes a great play. I don't know if its the coaching, or Livs non-dedication to get better. A baby hook, as someone has already mentioned would be a no brainer for a 6'5" player. It takes 2 seconds for her to get off her outside shot, but she gets it off only because nobody thinks enough of her to guard her out there. I don't hear alot of people building her up except the "homer" Meghan Culmo. If Geno is really gonna go all out to win this year, he needs to play the girls that really want it. Liv has to change and show him that she really wants it!
I'm never been a big believer in the theory that a player's demeanor correctly conveys dedication or how much they want it. I have even less confidence in our ability to properly interpret a players demeanor. Napheesa Collier was a player with a similar demeanor to ONO & I don't remember anyone questioning how much Napheesa really wanted it. If we strictly focus on the performance then ONO has left a lot to be desired in her first 3 years. This was a player that dunked in the McDonalds AA game and some were predicting would be the first UCONN woman to dunk in a game. Liv is also the only Collegiate player to have spent time with the Senior National Team. Even her most ardent supporters have to admit that Liv leaves you wanting more. Her demeanor is irrelevant.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I never been a big believer in the theory that a player's demeanor correctly conveys dedication or how much they want it. I have even less confidence in our ability to properly interpret a players demeanor. Napheesa Collier was a player with a similar demeanor to ONO & I don't remember anyone questioning how much Napheesa really wanted it. If we strictly focus on the performance then ONO has left a lot to be desired in her first 3 years. This was a player that dunked in the McDonalds AA game and some were predicting would be the first UCONN woman to dunk in a game. Liv is also the only Collegiate player to have spent time with the Senior National Team. Even her most ardent supports have to admit that Liv leaves you wanting more. Her demeanor is irrelevant.
Well said, Coco--I agree that it is a bit over-analytical to attempt to associate a player's demeanor with their overall dedication to the game. We all mostly agree that Liv has largely under-performed over her career, but I really take exception when players are wrongly characterized by their personality and how others would want them to be.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
In boxing, they say styles make the fight. What Geno has done is create different styles from the 5 spot. Liv is the defensive player who is quick and agile. AE is the strong bull in the post who is expanding her game. DJ is the hybrid but the best of the 3 in pulling people away from the basket. During the regular season, it gives Geno time to experiment and then when the match up in the Elite 8 or National Semis does come again, he has different options. Against Arizona, when Plan A didn't work, there was no Plan B due to player limitations.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I never been a big believer in the theory that a player's demeanor correctly conveys dedication or how much they want it. I have even less confidence in our ability to properly interpret a players demeanor. Napheesa Collier was a player with a similar demeanor to ONO & I don't remember anyone questioning how much Napheesa really wanted it. If we strictly focus on the performance then ONO has left a lot to be desired in her first 3 years. This was a player that dunked in the McDonalds AA game and some were predicting would be the first UCONN woman to dunk in a game. Liv is also the only Collegiate player to have spent time with the Senior National Team. Even her most ardent supports have to admit that Liv leaves you wanting more. Her demeanor is irrelevantI get the emotion thin

I never been a big believer in the theory that a player's demeanor correctly conveys dedication or how much they want it. I have even less confidence in our ability to properly interpret a players demeanor. Napheesa Collier was a player with a similar demeanor to ONO & I don't remember anyone questioning how much Napheesa really wanted it. If we strictly focus on the performance then ONO has left a lot to be desired in her first 3 years. This was a player that dunked in the McDonalds AA game and some were predicting would be the first UCONN woman to dunk in a game. Liv is also the only Collegiate player to have spent time with the Senior National Team. Even her most ardent supports have to admit that Liv leaves you wanting more. Her demeanor is irrelevant.
I get the emotional thing, it just stands out when she is around the rest of the players. The main purpose of that post was the lack of development of her game. A baby hook, jump shot that really is a jump shot. Geno raves about her assists and her passing, but Dolson was a great passer, she scored inside, and she had a decent jump shot. I was just wondering whether it was her lack of working on her game, or a lack of coaching. I find it hard to believe that it is the latter.

Reaction Score
It sounds like as of today, Ono will be coming off the bench.
She will be if she doesn't use this summer to re-evaluate her game and her progress. Geno's words should not surprise anyone if you have followed this team since his arrival. Some think he is too harsh but he treats them like the big time collegiate athletes that they are. Not little girls playing in some catholic league!! I'm sure he had a sit down with Liv shortly after her FF debacle and made it crystal clear to her. To lose your starting position in your senior year would be a devastating blow . If she is not better than what she showed in her junior year then she will certainly be coming off the bench.

Reaction Score
. Napheesa Collier was a player with a similar demeanor to ONO & I don't remember anyone questioning how much Napheesa really wanted it.

Your analogy is off a bit, the one thing that stood out about Naphessa was her motor. ONO has never showed that kind of energy or want-to. I've been an ONO supporter and pray to the basketball gods that she uses her summer wisely. I think her coach has seen enough.

Last edited:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Next year's version of the Huskies poses many new questions:

1. Will Olivia continue to evolve with UConn's changing personnel?
2. Will Amari DeBerry show the same ability to adapt to the college game in her freshmen year as Aaliyah has?
3. Will Dorka Juhasz be able to bring her previous experience to UConn in a way that translates to the UConn system?
4. Will Dorka be an effective 4th option for shooting the 3 and for being able to pull her opponent out from under the basket thereby opening the lane up for our guards to penetrate and dish on pick and rolls?
5. Will Evina be able to finally successfully put her injuries behind her and once again emerge as that number 2 prospect coming out of high school we saw in her freshmen and sophomore years?
6. Will Christyn Williams be able to stay consistent and will she ever be able to be depended on to make a three point shot? Of course, with all the fire power coming in next season it may not matter.
7. Will Nika Muhl be content with a role that includes her coming off the bench and her being the back-up point guard.?
8. Will Evina?
9. Will Aubrey Griffin finally consistently show us the player that we all believe she could be?
10. Will Mir McLean take that sophomore leap? If she does she would be unworldly good.
11. The only question I have about Aaliyah is how much like the reincarnation of Asjha Jones can she be?
12. Can Caroline Ducharme be as good as advertised?
13. Will Saylor Poffenbarger be able to parlay her early start advantage to an early sophomore jump?
14. How many freshmen records will Azzi Fudd destroy?
15. How will Paige Bueckers role change next season...will she become an assists machine and help the rest of the team pad their scoring stats?
16. How will the UConn coaching staff make up for the loss of Shea Ralph? Probably a question that will be answered very shortly?
17. How will the UConn coaching staff balance the minutes between so many talented players?
18. Will UConn be a full-court pressing team?
19. How often will UConn be a run and shoot early in the shot clock type of team?
20. Will their sure to be smothering defense cause them to focus on the transition game, the half-court game or a balance of the two?
21. How many combinations of line-ups will Geno experiment with?
22. What will the impact be to this year's returning players when they finally get to play in front of the UConn fans?
23. Is it possible that the best player on the UConn team will not be this year's returning Player of the Year?
24. How often will next year's team score 100 points?
25. Will Bueckers, Olivia, or Evina emerge as a triple-double threat next season?
26. No questions for Autumn Chaisson...just advice...practice your 3 point shot...I believe you will have a lot of opportunities to hoist them up....

I am sure many of you could add questions to the list...but, just think how exciting it will be to be a UConn fan as the Huskies start answering all those questions.

Reaction Score
I'm never been a big believer in the theory that a player's demeanor correctly conveys dedication or how much they want it. I have even less confidence in our ability to properly interpret a players demeanor. Napheesa Collier was a player with a similar demeanor to ONO & I don't remember anyone questioning how much Napheesa really wanted it. If we strictly focus on the performance then ONO has left a lot to be desired in her first 3 years. This was a player that dunked in the McDonalds AA game and some were predicting would be the first UCONN woman to dunk in a game. Liv is also the only Collegiate player to have spent time with the Senior National Team. Even her most ardent supporters have to admit that Liv leaves you wanting more. Her demeanor is irrelevant.
For more references: See Tim Duncan and Kawhi Leonard.

Reaction Score
Next year's version of the Huskies poses many new questions:

1. Will Olivia continue to evolve with UConn's changing personnel?
2. Will Amari DeBerry show the same ability to adapt to the college game in her freshmen year as Aaliyah has?
3. Will Dorka Juhasz be able to bring her previous experience to UConn in a way that translates to the UConn system?
4. Will Dorka be an effective 4th option for shooting the 3 and for being able to pull her opponent out from under the basket thereby opening the lane up for our guards to penetrate and dish on pick and rolls?
5. Will Evina be able to finally successfully put her injuries behind her and once again emerge as that number 2 prospect coming out of high school we saw in her freshmen and sophomore years?
6. Will Christyn Williams be able to stay consistent and will she ever be able to be depended on to make a three point shot? Of course, with all the fire power coming in next season it may not matter.
7. Will Nika Muhl be content with a role that includes her coming off the bench and her being the back-up point guard.?
8. Will Evina?
9. Will Aubrey Griffin finally consistently show us the player that we all believe she could be?
10. Will Mir McLean take that sophomore leap? If she does she would be unworldly good.
11. The only question I have about Aaliyah is how much like the reincarnation of Asjha Jones can she be?
12. Can Caroline Ducharme be as good as advertised?
13. Will Saylor Poffenbarger be able to parlay her early start advantage to an early sophomore jump?
14. How many freshmen records will Azzi Fudd destroy?
15. How will Paige Bueckers role change next season...will she become an assists machine and help the rest of the team pad their scoring stats?
16. How will the UConn coaching staff make up for the loss of Shea Ralph? Probably a question that will be answered very shortly?
17. How will the UConn coaching staff balance the minutes between so many talented players?
18. Will UConn be a full-court pressing team?
19. How often will UConn be a run and shoot early in the shot clock type of team?
20. Will their sure to be smothering defense cause them to focus on the transition game, the half-court game or a balance of the two?
21. How many combinations of line-ups will Geno experiment with?
22. What will the impact be to this year's returning players when they finally get to play in front of the UConn fans?
23. Is it possible that the best player on the UConn team will not be this year's returning Player of the Year?
24. How often will next year's team score 100 points?
25. Will Bueckers, Olivia, or Evina emerge as a triple-double threat next season?
26. No questions for Autumn Chaisson...just advice...practice your 3 point shot...I believe you will have a lot of opportunities to hoist them up....

I am sure many of you could add questions to the list...but, just think how exciting it will be to be a UConn fan as the Huskies start answering all those questions.
This is something I have pondered a lot since the end of the season. I give you a ton of credit for this making your list! They certainly will have the depth and the players to do so. With Aubrey/Mir Mclean you have two uber athletic players that could be first wave of your press. Geno will have the size on the backline to protect the rim at all times. You have ball hawks in Paige/Nika, don't know about Azzi defensively yet but we will find out. It also allows you to play a lot of players, spreading minutes around is going to be a task for Geno.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'll add two more questions:
27. How will Paige adjust to her role as sixth woman coming in at the 5 minute mark of the first Q?
28. How will the rest of the WCBB react to question 27, and Uconn not starting this years NPOY?
:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :cool: :confused: ?:rolleyes::cool:

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I'll add two more questions:
27. How will Paige adjust to her role as sixth woman coming in at the 5 minute mark of the first Q?
28. How will the rest of the WCBB react to question 27, and Uconn not starting this years NPOY?
:eek: :confused: :rolleyes: :cool: :confused: ?:rolleyes::cool:
Under what scenario do you not see Paige starting? I ask because that is not a question that I ever entertained

Reaction Score
Geno on roster

(Apologies if this has already been posted/discussed.)

Notice has been served:

“I think Aaliyah made incredible progress from day one,” Auriemma said. “She’s really physical, she plays hard every possession, she competes for everything, she did a great job finishing around the basket, she offensive rebounded, which was crucial for us, and she defended. I could see her next year getting the bulk of the touches among all of the post players. I have incredibly high expectations for Aaliyah, and for where she's going in the future.

"And Liv is going to be a senior. If Liv stays the same, then it’s obviously going to be a difficult senior year for Liv. If Liv adds some things to her game and makes the adjustments she needs to make, she's going to be a big factor and we're going to be fine.
For such a small word "if" is very powerful.

Reaction Score
I really, really, really like Liv’s “style” of play.
Light on her feet, glides the floor, Sets good screens, good passer on the pick and roll, has learned to NOT foul on her blocks (arms straight up). Works well with Edwards-more of a finesse player in my opinion.
Aaliyah brings so much more physicality to the position. Grabs and RIPS the ball away from opponents. Hits the deck with regularity.
Liv is more of a presence-Edwards is a force.
I DO hope that Olivia can add a bit more aggression to her game ( off season-scrimmages?) put an arc on her 8-10 ft shot and hit with more consistency— and OWN her space on layups —take it UP.
I hope she can “tune” her game up.
This roster addition is a major personal challenge for her.
(JMHO)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Under what scenario do you not see Paige starting? I ask because that is not a question that I ever entertained
It would just be really funny, and Geno has enough experienced players that he could bring Paige off the bench. And it would send shock waves throughout the basketball world.
Starting lineup: Nika, Christyn, Evina, Aaliyah, Olivia. First stoppage: Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aubrey, and Dorka. Next stoppage: Autumn, Mir, Saylor, Amari, Piath. Rinse and repeat.

And each game he could start different lines to be fair and really confuse the opponent. And CD would create some stupid prize for the best line in each game - and the lines would in typical Uconn fashion become cutthroat to win the prize.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom