Geno on Next Year's Roster - Interesting Comments RE: Liv | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno on Next Year's Roster - Interesting Comments RE: Liv

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'd expect Aaliyah to be a at the 4, and Geno will likely go with Olivia at the 5. She knows the Uconn system far better than any of the alternatives.
If we have an option for Ono that can drain shots, the system will be adjusted.

Reaction Score
As long as Geno can fit an 8 or 9 player rotation into 4 spots. Paige isn’t coming off the floor and if Azzi is as good as advertised she won’t be coming off the floor either. So maybe 3 spot for playing time.
Mark my words. Paige averaged 38-39 minutes this year, she will be at 28-30 next year. She will have to accept that her best friend Azzi and her best European friend Nika need minutes. Geno's antics at the end of the season about PT laid that ground work.

This is where her maturation will come. She needs to take the game from the tip and realize it is a long season and everyone including her has to be fresh and ready for tourney time.

Reaction Score
I like the fact that Geno has so many options available. If the players live up to their potential, he could literally have two different teams to put on the floor. And, should their be injuries and I really dislike saying that, he will have other options to round out his roster including that new transfer, Dorka.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Did not see much comment on the Paige assessment. On target

“Sometimes the changes a player has to make are huge,” Auriemma said. “Sometimes they're subtle. Paige knows. She's got to become a better defender on the ball. She's a great defender off the ball. She's got to work twice as hard than she ever did to get open. However hard she thinks she was guarded this year, she's going to be guarded even harder next year. Paige is a ‘Wait for the game to come to me’ kind of player, then she'll turn it on. That's all well and good, but I want Paige to be ‘We win the tap and she's in attack mode’ right from the beginning. These are things you learn as you go along. And she's got to get stronger. People were knocking her around, beating her up. Her body took a toll.”

Reaction Score
I like the fact that Geno has so many options available. If the players live up to their potential, he could literally have two different teams to put on the floor. And, should their be injuries and I really dislike saying that, he will have other options to round out his roster including that new transfer, Dorka.
Doesn't even have to be an injury. Maybe someone is having a bad game and their head isn't in it. You can then substitute. They are still teenagers and just beyond, not machines.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“Sometimes as a coach you have no control over that,” Auriemma said last week. “(Players) think coaches control your playing time. Actually, (players) do. I try to explain that to kids: Why wouldn't we want to play you? If you could help us, why wouldn't we want to play you? You think we like having six or seven guys? We'd like to have the ability to play nine — and then be deep enough to be in a decision where it’s, ‘That kid can really play but I don’t need her tonight.’ As opposed to, ‘I really need that kid but she can't play.’ That's the dilemma coaches find themselves in, not ‘I have too many good players and don't know who to play.' I hope that's the case. I hope they're all good as can be and I've got to make those decisions.”

This. I don’t know why some fans don’t see that.

Reaction Score
Geno's comments re. Liv are right on point and exactly what I would have hoped for him to say. Two thumbs way up!

You give Liv a chance to come back later this year showing she has made progress in fixing some of the structural problems exhibited. But you don't count on it necessarily happening. And you certainly don't repeat what was done this past season, i.e. changing out certain systems that are in the best interest of the team in order to accommodate her (playing her primarily as a passer from the high post, for example).

Not sure what Liv's plans are for the future regarding the WNBA and such. but should she have the motivation and work ethic needed for a solid senior campaign, she'll get every opportunity to have one.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Can they televise the practice scrimmages, because I think they would be more intense than many of the games they will play next year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Liv was most productive when she played aggressive for like 19-22 minutes. When she had to bang around in big games for 30+ minutes, the production went down. I think Dorka will allow the post players to be more aggressive in less minutes. Forwards and guards aren't the same. You never want your C to have to play 30+ minutes because that forces them to conserve energy/fouls and not play aggressively. The energy needed to fight for position is just greater than the running around guards do.
agreed.........being able to go all out and having another five fouls to give is going to be a wonderful thing for ONO and AE.....

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Dorka is what they want at the Center position. Good low post play, the ability to play high post and space the court, good defense and solid rebounding. If ONO can't improve her strength and outside game, we have options. I think Dorka and AE will be an outstanding tandem.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
I know it's not a true measuring stick but I just watched the Ohio State replay from last season. I was not very impressed with Dorka in that game. Her stats were nothing to shout about and at times it looked like Liv was playing for both teams (I really like and support Liv but this just didn't seem like a great Huskie game).
BUT what I hope is the big takeaway is that Dorka was playing against the Huskies!!!!

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but Geno is full of it. Remember when Z came to Storrs? Z is much better than Dorka, and look what happened with Z. She came off the bench because Geno was comfortable with his starting 5. I expect Liv to continue anchoring the defense down low, until Dorka can prove she can play the same defense.

Reaction Score
I don't necessarily perceive it that way. I think Geno knows Aaliyah is a big part of the future success of the program, and when he has the ability, he prefers to play two bigs. So she is now a starter in my book.

Our backcourt of Bueckers & Williams is a virtual lock. And Evina at the 3 seems like a lock.
I'd expect Aaliyah to be a at the 4, and Geno will likely go with Olivia at the 5. She knows the Uconn system far better than any of the alternatives.

But she will be on a very short leash. He has a talented transfer and a top 5 recruit ready to compete in the post. Also, has the ability to go small with some talented guards (Muhl & Fudd). In the past, he lacked the personnel to sub for players who were under performing. On paper, that shouldn't be an issue next year.

AE at the 5
Dorka at the 4
CW at the 3
EW at The 2

Reaction Score
Olivia is a good player... she has one thing working against her... she is a string bean and I do not know if she can do anything about that. People like that kind of annoy me because they will always be string beans.... She needs to bulk.... but not sure she can....

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hadn't seen it before. Good overview and of course he just complicated the picture more by accepting a transfer forward for next year!

And I really like the paragraph about deciding who to play and putting it back on the players - they make those choices, not the coaches.

I remember Gabby's reaction after being glued to the bench in the Stanford loss - she said in paraphrase 'I realized I hadn't given coach a reason to play me, and I never wanted that to be the case again.' She accepted the responsibility for the situation, and vowed to make changes in herself.

And how did that work out for Gabby? 2-time AA, NDPOY, high draft pick, 2 championships. Gabby was really a unique player, but I think Liv has it in her to improve. She could add strength, develop a hook shot, improve her moves, improve her jumper. She's obviously a good player, but we need a little more from the front court.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And how did that work out for Gabby? 2-time AA, NDPOY, high draft pick, 2 championships. Gabby was really a unique player, but I think Liv has it in her to improve. She could add strength, develop a hook shot, improve her moves, improver her jumper. She's obviously a good player, but we need a little more from the front court.
You are an army of one....

Reaction Score
Liv is what she is at this point. Her moves are very mechanical, slow & predictable. Very prone to TOs because of her shooting mechanics. She has no physical toughness (partly due to body type). She's more comfortable throwing up long 2-pointers at the perimeter than fighting for rebounds. I doubt this will change in her last year.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Olivia is a good player... she has one thing working against her... she is a string bean and I do not know if she can do anything about that. People like that kind of annoy me because they will always be string beans.... She needs to bulk.... but not sure she can....
People who are genetically predisposed to be tall and slender annoy you?

Reaction Score
I like everything that Geno said about Paige. Hopefully not playing 40 minutes, she will be able to concentrate on her on-ball defense more when she's out there. Also, the fact that she needs to get stronger and be ready to be somewhat hunted this year is pretty on point. It's interesting as ppl say she's like a cross between DT and SB (no pressure). DT was super physical with good size from the guard position and could even post up (as a sophomore Geno called a post play with the game on the line). SB was quick and great off screens and using ball screens. And watching PB it really is a cross. She is almost as tall but not quite as strong as DT. She is pretty great with ball screens, but not super quick like SB. So, I'm hoping she gets stronger and can post up a little (5'6 guards shouldn't be able to defend her).

I think being deep is great but its always brings up the question of who is ur best five. Of course thats a super tough question April 12th but thats what I'm concerned about.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
You are an army of one....
I'm optimistic about Liv. Geno told her what she needs. Let's see if she can do that.

One thing I think that will help is that the depth allows rotation. If Liv or Aaliyah gets in foul trouble, we can go to 6'4" Dorka. If Liv gets worn down by stronger players, Geno can try Dorka. That way, we'll always have 2 true post players on the floor, not an undersized Aubrey.

I see the guards in a similar vein. I think Nika retains her starting position. Even if Azzi is the best player in the nation, I think she starts the season on the bench. But Geno has a rotation of Nika, Paige, and Azzi. That way, he always has at least one elite passer AND at least one elite shooter on the floor. It also creates less wear and tear on Paige.

This is going astray a little, but I think we put too much importance on who starts. It's more important to ask, who get the major minutes? This can be measured by total playing time or who plays when the game is on the line. I recall that Brit Hunter started, but could give us only 5-8 minuted per half. The same was true with Caroline Doty after her second injury. Morgan Valley also started each half, but probably played fewer than 15 mpg. I expect to see Liya, Azzi, and possibly Dorka to get starters' minutes (25 or so). I also expect to see Paige and Christyn with reduced minutes, to rest them.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I'm optimistic about Liv. Geno told her what she needs. Let's see if she can do that.

One thing I think that will help is that the depth allows rotation. If Liv or Aaliyah gets in foul trouble, we can go to 6'4" Dorka. If Liv gets worn down by stronger players, Geno can try Dorka. That way, we'll always have 2 true post players on the floor, not an undersized Aubrey.

I see the guards in a similar vein. I think Nika retains her starting position. Even if Azzi is the best player in the nation, I think she starts the season on the bench. But Geno has a rotation of Nika, Paige, and Azzi. That way, he always has at least one elite passer AND at least one elite shooter on the floor. It also creates less wear and tear on Paige.

This is going astray a little, but I think we put too much importance on who starts. It's more important to ask, who get the major minutes? This can be measured by total playing time or who plays when the game is on the line. I recall that Brit Hunter started, but could give us only 5-8 minuted per half. The same was true with Caroline Doty after her second injury. Morgan Valley also started each half, but probably played fewer than 15 mpg. I expect to see Liya, Azzi, and possibly Dorka to get starters' minutes (25 or so). I also expect to see Paige and Christyn with reduced minutes, to rest them.
Where does Evina fit in your predictions? Does she retain her starting role?

She also needs to improve, but really in only one dimension: the reliability of her 3-point shot. She has got everything else nailed down. If she does that (and I think she can), I don't see how she can fail to get starter's minutes, whether or not she is part of the starting five. And I personally think she will start.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Where does Evina fit in your predictions? Does she retain her starting role?

She also needs to improve, but really in only one dimension: the reliability of her 3-point shot. She has got everything else nailed down. If she does that (and I think she can), I don't see how she can fail to get starter's minutes, whether or not she is part of the starting five. And I personally think she will start.

As of now, my starters in November: Paige, Nika, Christyn, Evina, and Olivia. Aaliyah and Azzi get comparable minutes off the bench.

Reaction Score
Geno on roster

(Apologies if this has already been posted/discussed.)

Notice has been served:

“I think Aaliyah made incredible progress from day one,” Auriemma said. “She’s really physical, she plays hard every possession, she competes for everything, she did a great job finishing around the basket, she offensive rebounded, which was crucial for us, and she defended. I could see her next year getting the bulk of the touches among all of the post players. I have incredibly high expectations for Aaliyah, and for where she's going in the future.

"And Liv is going to be a senior. If Liv stays the same, then it’s obviously going to be a difficult senior year for Liv. If Liv adds some things to her game and makes the adjustments she needs to make, she's going to be a big factor and we're going to be fine.
But Liv made AA, isnt she already great?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom