Geno comments on the USA Today 1st team "threesome" | The Boneyard

Geno comments on the USA Today 1st team "threesome"

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
“I think any time you bring in players to a team that has a lot coming back like we do, you hope that whoever is coming in can enhance the talent level, which these three certainly do,” Auriemma said. “They’re familiar already with my players, so I do believe the transition will be smoother than it normally would be.”

LINK

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
“They should not lose a game for the next four years,” said BlueStar Basketball recruiting analyst Mike Flynn. “As good as UConn is, it just got two times better.”

Baylor might have something to say about that next season. There are some other tough games on the schedule next year also.

Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma didn’t predict an unbeaten season, but sees the trio helping the Huskies’ chemistry. Stewart and Tuck played for the U.S. under-19 team in the World Championships along with returning Huskies Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis, Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson.

“I think any time you bring in players to a team that has a lot coming back like we do, you hope that whoever is coming in can enhance the talent level, which these three certainly do,” Auriemma said. “They’re familiar already with my players, so I do believe the transition will be smoother than it normally would be.”

Auriemma said it was hard to compare the trio to another freshman class at Connecticut.

“We’ve certainly brought our share of good recruiting classes over the years,” he said. “Signing the three of them is a huge accomplishment. They are unique. We’ve had a lot of great guards, but I don’t know that they’ve been like Moriah Jefferson. We’ve had a lot of great wing players, most recently Maya Moore, but none exactly like Morgan Tuck. We’ve also had a lot of 6-3, 6-4 kids come through here, but none of them are like Breanna Stewart.”

Recruiting analyst Dan Olson of Collegiate Girls Basketball Report said the Huskies should have the most talent next year, but the interesting thing will be how well it meshes.

“From a pure talent standpoint, it isn’t fair,” Olson said. “But it all comes down to chemistry.”
Auriemma doesn’t see that becoming a problem.

Actually, I think it's totally fair. Sorry you disagree.

“I’ve seen it work the other way, when a lot of talent doesn’t fit and it disrupts the position the other (girls) on the team are playing,” he said. “I think these three will be comfortable, whatever the scenario. Breanna, Morgan and Moriah are easy kids to get along with. All three of them are excellent passers and a lot of times being a good passer means having enough unselfish attitude.”

Reaction Score
The best thing about this recruiting class is that they shore up UConn exactly where it needs reinforcement. Having a true point guard is a godsend for the team. Getting help in the post for Stef is sorely needed: you need three post players you can rely on, and now Geno has them.

And what can I add to the accolades already showered on Morgan Tuck, the closest thing to a human scoring machine?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It should be a monster team; I can't think of a soul hereabouts that can't wait to see them play.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Next year's team will be a dirty dozen indeed.

Kids who can play PG:

Bria
Caroline
Moriah

Kids who can play SG:

Bria
KML
Moriah
Lauren
Brianna

Kids who can play SF:

Kelly
KML
Morgan
Breanna
Brianna

Kids who can play PF:

Breanna
Morgan
Kelly
KML

Kids who can play traditional C:

Stef
Kiah
Heather

The combinations and matchups are ridiculous and success is generally not dependent on any one player. Baylor is a formidable opponent, but they absolutely need very good games from their two best players to win at the highest levels. It may not be possible to keep Griner from having a good game next year, but if any team has the personnel stop her, or at least compete despite her playing well, it'll be UConn.

If you live anywhere near CT and aren't planning on being in Hartford in February when Baylor an UConn play...what is wrong with you???

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Morgan will be efficient and effective, but perhaps overlooked. She hits a three, a couple of pull-up jumpers, a couple of putbacks, a fast break, and some FTs. You're thinking she had a pretty good game and then you look at the box score and see 16 and 7.

Moriah is a human highlight film. Blazing speed, no look passes, step-back threes, and defenders falling on the ground. Perhaps the most fun player in the country to watch.

Breanna does a combination of things no one else does. Blocking shots from everywhere, hitting threes, left-handed jump hooks, tip-ins, and alley-oop dunks. Another player who will make some top 10 plays on Sports Center.

Crank up the DVR. The circus is coming to town!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I still think Breanna will play some Point Forward.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller's opening sentence is a dream to a UConn fan:

"UConn incoming freshman Breanna Stewart was named the national high school player of the year by USA Today and the newspaper's five-member first team includes the Huskies entire recruiting class."

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
:) Are we almost to November yet?!?!
Husky WBB, every morning as I drive up the local Juniata River narrows I am treated to a picture identical to your avatar.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Next year's team will be a dirty dozen indeed.

Kids who can play PG:

Bria
Caroline
Moriah

Kids who can play SG:

Bria
KML
Moriah
Lauren
Brianna
Caroline is a combo guard. She can play the 2 as well and she's big enough to be a wing if needed, like her mentor Shea.

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller's opening sentence is a dream to a UConn fan:

"UConn incoming freshman Breanna Stewart was named the national high school player of the year by USA Today and the newspaper's five-member first team includes the Huskies entire recruiting class."

Say it again! Say it again!

:)

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Say it again! Say it again!

:)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The Baylor UConn game might just be the most anticapated WCBB in the history of WCBB. This will be as big as UCLA vs Houston, Lew Alcinder vs Elvin Hayes. This game will put WCBB on the map IF the media handles it properly.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Caroline is a combo guard. She can play the 2 as well and she's big enough to be a wing if needed, like her mentor Shea.
Two years ago, I'd agree. As of right now, I don't want my two guard shooting at a 35.5% clip. If she can regain a some her strength in her legs (and maybe regain some confidence) in the offseason, perhaps she can improve upon that and be someone who could slide over to the two as appropriate.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Baylor UConn game might just be the most anticapated WCBB in the history of WCBB. This will be as big as UCLA vs Houston, Lew Alcinder vs Elvin Hayes. This game will put WCBB on the map IF the media handles it properly.
You're asking a lot there. :rolleyes:

But they are ratings hogs, so...........

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Two years ago, I'd agree. As of right now, I don't want my two guard shooting at a 35.5% clip. If she can regain a some her strength in her legs (and maybe regain some confidence) in the offseason, perhaps she can improve upon that and be someone who could slide over to the two as appropriate.
I do think (assuming she stays health through the summer) that she will have a much better year than last year. If she gets a full off season and full preseason it will make a huge difference. Last year she lost time leading up to the season with a few minor set-backs so she never got the chance to get comfortable and it is hard to do that once the season begins.

Reaction Score
Husky WBB, every morning as I drive up the local Juniata River narrows I am treated to a picture identical to your avatar.

Nice scenery to start your day - if this is Bedford County, PA as I am thinking!! I lived in PA for a number of years. Took the picture that is my avatar in Alaska. Logic I used (for better or worse) in selecting it was the bald eagle as a symbol of a great country as an analogy to UCONN WBB as a symbol of a great team and culture among others, including those who shall remain nameless here. Those of us who are ornithologists will recognize the bald eagle has some less than noble habits, but it is a majestic bird and we move on...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nice scenery to start your day - if this is Bedford County, PA as I am thinking!! I lived in PA for a number of years. Took the picture that is my avatar in Alaska. Logic I used (for better or worse) in selecting it was the bald eagle as a symbol of a great country as an analogy to UCONN WBB as a symbol of a great team and culture among others, including those who shall remain nameless here. Those of us who are ornithologists will recognize the bald eagle has some less than noble habits, but it is a majestic bird and we move on...
Juniata River narrows between Mifflintown and Lewistown along Rt. 322 Juniata and Mifflin Counties. Presently I, also, have Franklin's choice for national bird coming into my yard every other day, a beautiful Tom with a 10" beard.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score

To me it looks like all these months without any WCBB. A long barren stretch...

Reaction Score
To me it looks like all these months without any WCBB. A long barren stretch...

Yes, you are right, there is that perspective. And for us to be thinking that with summer in front of us just shows how REALLY exciting we all think this upcoming season is going to be.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This years team is better then real good. Baylor is real good, Duke is real good. UConn is exceptionally really good. The only question is can Baylor beat UConn? After Griner graduates, it going to be a nitemare for anybody to play UConn. This may be the first team that could have a couple of kids in foul trouble and replace them with kids just as good or better. The next 2 seasons will be crazy good. Geno will have a couple of problems. Getting teams to play him, and telling recruits no. UConn next season will have more talent then the next 3 teams combined. UConn could set a record for the number of 1st 2nd and 3rd team AAs .

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
This years team is better then real good. Baylor is real good, Duke is real good. UConn is exceptionally really good. The only question is can Baylor beat UConn? After Griner graduates, it going to be a nitemare for anybody to play UConn. This may be the first team that could have a couple of kids in foul trouble and replace them with kids just as good or better. The next 2 seasons will be crazy good. Geno will have a couple of problems. Getting teams to play him, and telling recruits no. UConn next season will have more talent then the next 3 teams combined. UConn could set a record for the number of 1st 2nd and 3rd team AAs .

Tony, it's more like "can UConn beat Baylor". I think they can, but that is how it should be phrased.

Reaction Score
Tony, it's more like "can UConn beat Baylor". I think they can, but that is how it should be phrased.

I thought the same thing. Baylor won the championship and Baylor is returning their star players. They are the champs and deserve that status until someone knocks them off - - hopefully our huskies will accomplish that, but it is likely to be a very competitive game.

Reaction Score
Not trying to rush summer by any means but cant wait for November!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom