Geno and the kid | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno and the kid

Reaction Score
So weaken your team at the start of games to satisfy an ego, I don’t remotely agree but obviously Bueckers proved last year it is all about her doing it her way.
So to the people who already dislike my comment about Bueckers, a team player would acknowledge how well the team is currently playing and not make herself starting an issue of any kind, in fact, a team player would communicate to the coach the exact opposite, don’t fix what ain’t broken on my account. Especially when the player she probably will push out of the lineup is acknowledged by the coach to be most important to the team in a starting role. She knows darn well she will get her minutes so what difference does starting make?
I made no bones about my dislike of Bueckers refusing to embrace Auriemna’s request last year to change her style for the good of the TEAM, and her obvious negative body language when taken out of games regardless of the score or circumstances. She is a great player, no question, but that does not mean she is above reproach or criticism.

Reaction Score
All I know is there are many different opinions on this subject however after awhile they begin to be repeated and get boring. Blah blah blah.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
So to the people who already dislike my comment about Bueckers, a team player would acknowledge how well the team is currently playing and not make herself starting an issue of any kind, in fact, a team player would communicate to the coach the exact opposite, don’t fix what ain’t broken on my account. Especially when the player she probably will push out of the lineup is acknowledged by the coach to be most important to the team in a starting role. She knows darn well she will get her minutes so what difference does starting make?
I made no bones about my dislike of Bueckers refusing to embrace Auriemna’s request last year to change her style for the good of the TEAM, and her obvious negative body language when taken out of games regardless of the score or circumstances. She is a great player, no question, but that does not mean she is above reproach or criticism.
Honestly, I thought Geno was talking about the fans rioting, not Paige. I never took it that she was insisting on starting. I usually agree with your posts but I think you’re off base here.

Bueckers didn’t sound too concerned when asked on Sunday [the 13th] about starting.

“I don’t care,” she said. “Whatever the team needs from me — off the bench, 30 minutes, 20 minutes, 40 minutes — I’m excited with whatever role
.”

Reaction Score
Honestly, I thought Geno was talking about the fans rioting, not Paige. I never took it that she was insisting on starting. I usually agree with your posts but I think you’re off base here.

Bueckers didn’t sound too concerned when asked on Sunday [the 13th] about starting.

“I don’t care,” she said. “Whatever the team needs from me — off the bench, 30 minutes, 20 minutes, 40 minutes — I’m excited with whatever role
.”

Well, the quote you cite proves me wrong and I certainly acknowledge that and stand corrected.

Reaction Score
You know nothing about basketball.

Kat

Reaction Score
Nika was getting called for fouls--in practice. She told Geno that American basketball play was "soft" compared to in Europe. He agreed but pointed out that the referees will call the fouls so she needed to adapt. She has done so.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Paige is coming off a fairly serious knee injury and she's still working to remove the rust off her conditioning, timing etc. I don't think it is a good idea to depend on her too much so early in the tournament.
Well he'll depend on her, to the degree he thinks he can. By what she shows in practice (and games).

If she's physically ok, and her heads in the right place, he'll play her. Start her. Otherwise he'll keep with Muhl.

But if Bueckers is good to go, she's starting.

Reaction Score
Delusional is the word that comes to mind here. Paige has a history of being an unselfish player. She is all about doing what is best for the team.

Reaction Score

.”

I interpreted it as Paige’s reaction, not the fans. That said, I like seeing Nika setting the defensive tone and team attitude from the tip and having Paige’s brilliance coming in off the bench, taking advantage of whatever drop off in skill the opponent’s bench may present. What a great problem to have.

Reaction Score
The way the team plays when Nika is in the starting line up is what we need. She brings an energy and drive... I would say the starting 5 would be, if Geno is going to have Nika and Paige would be: Nika, Paige, CW, Liv, then either Edwards or Fudd. I think that depends on the team we play and if we want two bigs in to start or if we need more guards to start. EW coming off the bench has been great and she does not seem to mind that.

Reaction Score
seems to me it shouldn't be a matter of nika must sit in order for paige to play ... why can't they both be on the floor together? they both provide unique qualities that benefit the team.

it is a different team when nika plays, geno has repeatedly said. and it's repeatedly proved to be true, last year and this. so why should he purposely abandon that? kind of illogical, i think
I wouldn't get too hung up on who "starts". The lineup will be determined by who Geno thinks gives us the most favorable advantage based on the opposition. And that could change five minutes into the game. Thankfully we have a nine player rotation of very capable "starters".

Reaction Score
Do not be delusional there is only one Paige….an acclaimed POY in all the many awards given as a Freshman…..the team cannot win a Chip without her….that is a obvious to anyone that understands the game of basketball. She wants her minutes she deserves her minutes nothing wrong with that. She is so unselfish that Geno had to prod her to shoot. If she was selfish she could be a gunner like Kaetlin Clark and average as much or more than her.
Paige is a winner in all the sense of the word.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
It’s ironic the certainty of opinions in a season that is all about uncertainty.

Just as different players provide different roles in terms of rebounding, scoring, etc., they have different value in regards to opponents or situation. For example, past history suggests that Bueckers and Ducharme are the players that should be on the floor at the end of a tight game. However, Ducharme has not proven herself as a good one to start a game, which makes sense for a freshmen, and even Bueckers has drawn her coach’s critique for how she starts games.

I have no idea if Bueckers will or should start, but let us assume she does for argument sake. Do we assume Muhl will then just get garbage minutes? I think not, which implies there will be times when Bueckers and Muhl will be on the floor together. Since starting games is a specialty role for Muhl, not just because of her energy, but also because she makes less mistakes than Fudd, Ducharme or Williams (research their A/T ratios), and Auriemma has a history of wanting to start games with what he can count on, it would seem Muhl should start. Even if Muhl plays 10 minutes, while other guards play 30, past experiences suggests the best use of those 10 minutes from Muhl, while not undermining the contributions of others, would be at the start of each half.

Reaction Score
Geno loves Nika and pretty much has right from the beginning. Honestly, if Geno were a player, I think he'd be just like Nika... birds of a feather.
I believe Geno has said he was not good enough to play at this level.

How can you not like Nika if she is on your team?

Reaction Score
Delusional is the word that comes to mind here. Paige has a history of being an unselfish player. She is all about doing what is best for the team.
No, she does not, but it would certainly appear from Husky Nan’s quote that she has learned from last year. I acknowledged my mistake regarding the current situation.

Reaction Score
I have forgotten more than you know about basketball, I cite my opinions and admit when I am wrong so don’t go there.
I doubt that….do not assume
It is just the facts….Nika can start Saturday but as the going gets tough in a one and done….Paige is the one….if you do not understand that, G-d bless….no one means any disrespect just stating the obvious.

Reaction Score
You read my mind….I started this thread and the main objective is to win….all players have merit.
Just win.

Reaction Score
Just read this yesterday…I love how Geno expresses his feelings about Nika and the subtle mention of the kid ready to be in starting lineup.
And a reference to someone that criticized me about my reference to Alabama and UCONN….Geno mentioned it after I referenced in one of my replies. I rest my case.
View attachment 74477
I doubt Nika hates anyone. She has one speed --full out. She is intense, determined, and can't take no for an answer. She must win or else she'll darn near trying. I know that kid, I lived with her brother. Wonderful person, if you want to win--have her or my brother on your team.
I guess that's what makes every Uconn fan a Nika fan.
Paige and Caroline are not far behind Nika in leave everything you have on the floor.
I just realized how lucky we are to be fans of a team with kids of this character, and they just keep coming.

Reaction Score

.”

More Paige:

“Being out, being injured, not being able to play the game you love, you’ve got to find ways to stay positive and be happy,” Bueckers said. “I love this team, everything about them, and being able to have fun with them, celebrate with them makes me super happy. ... I’m ready and excited to be anything this team needs me to be in order to win.”

Reaction Score
I thought this comment by Geno was interesting.

« People ask me, ‘How’s Paige’s knee?’ I really don’t care. I’m not worried about Paige’s knee because if Paige’s knee is 100 percent and her mind is 50 percent, we’re not going to win anyway,” he said. “At this time of the year, every single player in the NCAA Tournament, something hurts. You don’t play five months and feel like you’re 100 percent. To me, what’s most important thing at this time of the year is where’s your head at? Where’s your mind at? Are you mentally at the right place to play your best basketball? »

First, Paige must be healed enough that Geno isn’t worried. And second, he doesn’t see UConn winning the NC without Paige and without her mind back to normal. Geno has said for some time that Paige would be back in the starting lineup when she’s ready.

I’m really looking forward to seeing Paige play more minutes. I assume Azzi, CW, and Liv will also start. And the fifth will be AE?

As for Nika, I would like to see her start, but it’s Geno’s decision to make.
Geno, is emotional, he loves his kids, but Geno is a realist. He knows he can win it all without Paige. Paige, is that extra that puts the NC closer and closer. But make no mistake this team with or without Paige can win it all. Geno has said often LUCK of the draw can make an NC real or next year. He also said: Really good players can make a coach look great. Hear that Caroline, Christyn W, Edwards, Dorka, Fudd, Paige, ONO, NIka, Evina, Make Geno look Great.
I agree, I like Nika starting.

Reaction Score
my opinion: BIG mistake. nika doesn't have to get more minutes than caroline, christyn, evina and certainly not paige. but she should be in the game at the start to inspire the team. geno's second-guessing himself and i think he'll discover it wasn't a good guess.
Everyone does some second guessing, Geno too. But when push comes to shove, Geno relies on his experience, ability to read people, and as a Philly kid he can smell the BS line quicker than you or I. Geno does and has made mistakes--golly gee whiz, he's only HUMAN?? Wow! The nice thing about Geno's job, he can fix his second guessing quickly, we can't.
I agree with your line up. I do however think Paige should get fewer minutes than Nika in the first 3 games, then go from there. No, Nika isn't 100 percent replacement of Paige, but who is?

Reaction Score
Your welcome to your opinion, but your out of your friggin mind.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom