Geno and the kid | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno and the kid

Reaction Score
I can understand the "don't mess with success" attitude, and from my POV it looks to me that both Bueckers and Fudd have been doing exactly that. But UConn hasn't had any close games and when that happens we are all going to want those two on the court.

Reaction Score
my opinion: BIG mistake. nika doesn't have to get more minutes than caroline, christyn, evina and certainly not paige. but she should be in the game at the start to inspire the team. geno's second-guessing himself and i think he'll discover it wasn't a good guess.

Reaction Score
Just read this yesterday…I love how Geno expresses his feelings about Nika and the subtle mention of the kid ready to be in starting lineup.
And a reference to someone that criticized me about my reference to Alabama and UCONN….Geno mentioned it after I referenced in one of my replies. I rest my case.
View attachment 74477
One thing left out was , She's all about the TEAM!!

Reaction Score
When Mühl is at full throttle her fouls govern her minutes. When she has to play 35 mins she can't maintain that level. I prefer full throttle Mühl.

Reaction Score
Is it possible that there could be a Nika/Paige problem coming? We all love them both and don't want to see any hiccups when it comes to playing time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What a glorious problem to have. How quickly we forget when an entire crew were in street clothes w/injuries. Glad I'm not Geno.
IDK, couple $$million a year, 11 NCs, coach basketball for a living, wine collection to die for, good coaching friends who take you to great restaurants all over the country. I could put up with a couple "who's starting" headaches for that. :cool:

Reaction Score
I think, no BELEIVE this rotation of 9 is a powerhouse! The team knows it, Geno knows it and to "Change", unless necessary would IMHO, disrupt however so little, a team that only get's better each game . All 9 in the rotation and the 11 young ladies have bought into what is happening. Paige IS the best player on this team and arguably the BEST in the country when 100%. She also knows what's best for the team right now. When she needs to she will step up big time , She doesn't need to right now by starting and I'm sure knows and accepts that. Just like her Pass first mentality, it's Team needs first!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
People need to remember, or realize, that there is a difference (a big one to Geno) between badgering Geno to play and pouting about not playing as much as one wants.

One annoys him somewhat, but he understands. The other keeps you on the bench.

Reaction Score
After Saturday I believe Paige will start. Geno loves and understands the intricacies of dealing with Paige. He has dealt with all personalities in his coaching stint. But “The Kid” is so special.

Reaction Score
Do not be delusional there is only one Paige….an acclaimed POY in all the many awards given as a Freshman…..the team cannot win a Chip without her….that is a obvious to anyone that understands the game of basketball. She wants her minutes she deserves her minutes nothing wrong with that. She is so unselfish that Geno had to prod her to shoot. If she was selfish she could be a gunner like Kaetlin Clark and average as much or more than her.
Paige is a winner in all the sense of the word.
Kaetlin? Is that Caitlin’s cousin?

Reaction Score
IDK, couple $$million a year, 11 NCs, coach basketball for a living, wine collection to die for, good coaching friends who take you to great restaurants all over the country. I could put up with a couple "who's starting" headaches for that. :cool:
LOL - you got me there! If I had his money (me; not him) I'd be long gone.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Sometimes, before the offense is even getting set up she will launch a 3 from very long range. Also many unforced turnovers to go with assists.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Loved this quote by Geno:

So here we are going to Bridgeport and you’re gonna hear the uproar next week, ‘It’s not fair. NC State’s gotta come up here and they’re gonna have to play Connecticut, maybe, on Connecticut’s home court, blah, blah, blah blah what a terrible thing that is.’ Well, you know, that’s life. And first we have to get there and if we do get there we still have to play great and you still have to win.”

Another great quote - he is incredibly gracious even in defeat:

On loss to Villanova: “Whenever teams beat us that’s their national championship game. So that’s going to be their highlight for life. … That’s kind of who we are. We’ve become Alabama football, Kentucky basketball, it’s just we’re the standard that everybody goes by and if you can beat Connecticut then you’ve won the national championship so to speak. ... I texted her (Villanova coach Denise Dillon) when she was her way home on the bus from our place, I said, ‘Man, that was unbelievable. You guys just kicked our butts and I’m really proud of you because you’re doing a hell of a job with that team.’ Sometimes you just gotta give the other team credit. They played great.

Reaction Score
@gold2323 are you attempting to school avid and knowledgeable UConn fans? Come on man!!!
I am not trying to school anyone
Like everyone here I have an opinion
With lots of bona fides that I prefer not to mention….G-d Bless

Reaction Score
I am not trying to school anyone
Like everyone here I have an opinion
With lots of bona fides that I prefer not to mention….G-d Bless
Yeah but you write stuff like no one else knows. Example: and understands the intricacies of dealing with Paige. He has dealt with all personalities in his coaching stint. But “The Kid” is so special.

Reaction Score
I write stuff from my perspective just like you do….I have no issues with your opinion or the opinion of others ….whether I am right or wrong we will soon find out….I merely wrote a post quoting Geno….
My interest is for UCONN to win….just like most everybody here….

Reaction Score
Nika needs to start. That sets the tone for the others to play kick butt, in-your-face, all out defense. She might not be a scorer but we dont need her to score all that much. She sets the defensive tone and THATS her job.

Reaction Score
I write stuff from my perspective just like you do….I have no issues with your opinion or the opinion of others ….whether I am right or wrong we will soon find out….I merely wrote a post quoting Geno….
My interest is for UCONN to win….just like most everybody here….
Fair enough

Reaction Score
I thought this comment by Geno was interesting.

« People ask me, ‘How’s Paige’s knee?’ I really don’t care. I’m not worried about Paige’s knee because if Paige’s knee is 100 percent and her mind is 50 percent, we’re not going to win anyway,” he said. “At this time of the year, every single player in the NCAA Tournament, something hurts. You don’t play five months and feel like you’re 100 percent. To me, what’s most important thing at this time of the year is where’s your head at? Where’s your mind at? Are you mentally at the right place to play your best basketball? »

First, Paige must be healed enough that Geno isn’t worried. And second, he doesn’t see UConn winning the NC without Paige and without her mind back to normal. Geno has said for some time that Paige would be back in the starting lineup when she’s ready.

I’m really looking forward to seeing Paige play more minutes. I assume Azzi, CW, and Liv will also start. And the fifth will be AE?

As for Nika, I would like to see her start, but it’s Geno’s decision to make.
I can see the starting line up change a little depending on the opponent once we get past the first couple rounds. I for one recognize our recent run is not against Baylor, NC St, SC, etc... so am not assuming everyone is going to be playing so well when we go against elite teams with better athletes. To win it all he knows a full on Paige with others that play with no fear when things get much harder than winning by 30 points a game is necessary for the chip.

Reaction Score
I think bringing Paige off the bench is a win win for so many reasons. It allows Azzi and CW to be the focal points of the offense out of the gates, which is really good for both of them. Azzi is forced to be aggressive early, and CW is forced to lead as well. It allows Nika to set a defensive tone to start the game. It also puts less pressure on Paige, as she is still coming off of injury. She can sub in and replace anyone who maybe didn't get off to the best start. Lastly, I think it puts the ball in Evina's hands a bit more when they come in together. I'd imagine if Nika returns to the bench with Evina, it would mean that Evina would play less point.

It's not like starting Paige is a bad option by any means. And judging on what Geno said in the last presser, I think it's the option he will probably go with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awy

Top Bottom