Geno and the kid | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno and the kid

Reaction Score
Is it possible that there could be a Nika/Paige problem coming? We all love them both and don't want to see any hiccups when it comes to playing time.
Last year, when they were both on the floor together, Paige played better and the team played better. With Azzi around, the chances of all three of them (or any three of Paige, Azzi, Nika, Caroline) on the floor together while Christyn is in the game are not very high.

Problem between the self-described twins? Nope, not a chance.

Reaction Score
Just read this yesterday…I love how Geno expresses his feelings about Nika and the subtle mention of the kid ready to be in starting lineup.
And a reference to someone that criticized me about my reference to Alabama and UCONN….Geno mentioned it after I referenced in one of my replies. I rest my case.
View attachment 74477
There are other great coaches out there, but Geno is UNMATCHED when it comes to his ability to be both endearing and sarcastic in the same breath!

Reaction Score
THE KID

Attachments

• 77378BC5-86EF-4AC9-B0E9-BF47DE6C6682.jpeg
    77378BC5-86EF-4AC9-B0E9-BF47DE6C6682.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 146
Reaction Score
Start Nika, Azzi and CW. At some point in the first quarter sub in Paige, Evina and Caroline. What other team on the planet Earth can do something like that???
That pretty much what he's been doing. AND yes, you are 100% correct , no other team can do something like that!!!

Reaction Score
Start Nika, Azzi and CW. At some point in the first quarter sub in Paige, Evina and Caroline. What other team on the planet Earth can do something like that???
I understand why you’re saying this, and I think you have a point. UConn now has incredible depth.

Geno, however, has been saying for a while that Paige will start when she is ready. He has also said repeatedly that she’s the best player on the team, and he recently said that UConn cannot win the NC without her (someone here claims to know otherwise, that Geno doesn’t really mean it, but I’m skeptical this person has special access to Geno’s brain).

Anyway, despite the wish of some on this board and for better or for worse, Paige is likely to start soon. May we all wish that whatever Geno decides will help move UConn toward a NC.

Reaction Score
Remember when posting alway replace the word “need” or “needs” with “I want” then insert name of player.

Reaction Score
I understand why you’re saying this, and I think you have a point. UConn now has incredible depth.

Geno, however, has been saying for a while that Paige will start when she is ready. He has also said repeatedly that she’s the best player on the team, and he recently said that UConn cannot win the NC without her (someone here claims to know otherwise, that Geno doesn’t really mean it, but I’m skeptical this person has special access to Geno’s brain).

Anyway, despite the wish of some on this board and for better or for worse, Paige is likely to start soon. May we all wish that whatever Geno decides will help move UConn toward a NC.
I have learned a long time ago never to take what Geno says literally. Usually, there are multiple meanings addressed to different targets. But one thing is true: if Paige is physical and mentally in shape, he will increase her minutes. Whether that means starting or simply leave her in longer is yet to be determined. It is highly unlikely that he will leave her in for 40 minutes all the time now.....

I would wager that he has spent a lot of time on having Paige and Azzi on court together during this break, likely Caroline as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Paige-Azzi combination has spent a lot of practice time with the three different post combinations of ONO, Aaliyah and Dorka.

It will be a game of situational matchups at crucial moments down the line, he wants to be ready.

The thing that has impressed me most about Geno's behaviour during this late season run is how quiet he has been. He substitutes and then watches calmly, letting them play - only the facial expressions tell his reactions but his voice is seldom heard. I believe he knows what he has and he believes they haven't peaked yet.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I have learned a long time ago never to take what Geno says literally. Usually, there are multiple meanings addressed to different targets. But one thing is true: if Paige is physical and mentally in shape, he will increase her minutes. Whether that means starting or simply leave her in longer is yet to be determined. It is highly unlikely that he will leave her in for 40 minutes all the time now.....

I would wager that he has spent a lot of time on having Paige and Azzi on court together during this break, likely Caroline as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the Paige-Azzi combination has spent a lot of practice time with the three different post combinations of ONO, Aaliyah and Dorka.

It will be a game of situational matchups at crucial moments down the line, he wants to be ready.

The thing that has impressed me most about Geno's behaviour during this late season run is how quiet he has been. He substitutes and then watches calmly, letting them play - only the facial expressions tell his reactions but his voice is seldom heard. I believe he knows what he has and he believes they haven't peaked yet.
Enjoyed your post. I, too, take this as a good sign.

Reaction Score
I think Paige starts the first game, ergo Geno's comment now. She doesn't have to play even 20 minutes in the 1st game probably but he needs to get her mindset optimal and why not start now?

90% of basketball analysts would say Paige needs more PT than Nika. It shouldn't even be in discussion. For the "Nika must start to set the tone" people, do we really need that at this level? With everything these players have been through just to get to Uconn and then what they have experienced since just to get in the lineup, do we really need someone to set the tone? I'd rather put the best players on the floor for the maximum amount of minutes please.

You don't hit your # 4 batter 8th. You just don't.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I think Paige starts the first game, ergo Geno's comment now. She doesn't have to play even 20 minutes in the 1st game probably but he needs to get her mindset optimal and why not start now?

90% of basketball analysts would say Paige needs more PT than Nika. It shouldn't even be in discussion. For the "Nika must start to set the tone" people, do we really need that at this level? With everything these players have been through just to get to Uconn and then what they have experienced since just to get in the lineup, do we really need someone to set the tone? I'd rather put the best players on the floor for the maximum amount of minutes please.

WHY do you insist on making this a paige OR nika situation? geez.

it's a mystery to me.

BTW, if the team doesn't need nika to 'set the tone' (also for her defense, ya know), how is it that the team seems to play better when she's on the floor? ... i'm fine with paige starting when she's ready. think she should and look forward to it. AND that can happen without without eschewing nika's vital contributions. there's no reason to; nika doesn't have to vanish in order for paige to do her thing. paige and nika complement each other, they don't cancel each other.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom